• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Add some pets with archery ability

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not sure how complicated it is, it would be fun to add some pets with archery ability.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That would be nice. However I do have to point out the irony that someone with the nick swordsman is requesting archery abilities.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not sure how complicated it is, it would be fun to add some pets with archery ability.
The idea is nice, but the archer AI that is in game ATM for pets is horrible. Unless that got fixed, I think you would be sorely disappointed.

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You ever seen a horse or a dog fire a bow and arrow?

Please be realistic, i know its a game and the possibilities are endless, but try to be sensible.

Alternatively, I look forward to your "can you give us machine guns in the next publish please" post

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No thought on ranged pets BUT when scrolling up pets they should be able to accept any melee scroll in place of wrestle.

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That would be nice. However I do have to point out the irony that someone with the nick swordsman is requesting archery abilities.
My first toon was a swordsman with buckler, it's 18 years ago, I still like it very much. Anyway, I play 4x bard, archer, throwing, mystic, and tamer.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Please be realistic, i know its a game and the possibilities are endless, but try to be sensible.

Alternatively, I look forward to your "can you give us machine guns in the next publish please" post
Yes because a dog or horse can perform a whirlwind attack or a shield bash but shooting arrows is crazy? Also how does a cu apply bandages with their hooves?

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I think we need to slow down on this " I want my pet to do this and this stuff". gimme gimmie gimmie. I want I want I want. ive watched a blue beetle tank recktor. a fire beetle kill everything while the tamer just sat there with bard buffs not even having to heal once. wth is this game coming to. more endless revamps and nerfs are coming. lets wait and see awhile, maybe get some thing fixed. just my opinions lol

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That would be interesting, even just one. Just like Diablo. We could armor them and give them a weapon.
Yep, the potential has always been there to make that a great system. It hasn't been improved upon since UO started. We could equip our hirelings, use of power scrolls, bonding, etc. While I like the pet revamp, this was a huge missed opportunity. @Kyronix @Bleak

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd be looking instead for wingless gargoyles equipped with throwing weapons, consistent with Ultima VI.

Sunseri

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
With all the additions to tamer pets, I want to know when will my characters get to have 1,000+ hit points. You know. To make things even.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
With all the additions to tamer pets, I want to know when will my characters get to have 1,000+ hit points. You know. To make things even.
Sure as soon as your character randomly decides what to cast and what to attack on its own. You know to make things even.

Sunseri

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Sure as soon as your character randomly decides what to cast and what to attack on its own. You know to make things even.
That happens sometimes. My archer auto-shoots at the mob that aggros on her first even if it's not what I want to kill first.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I think they are thinking more along the lines of pets with missile weapons, not a horse shooting an actual bow. One fantasy creature that comes to mind is the manticore that had a spiked tail that would shoot the spikes. Another idea would be a giant porcupine that shoots quill. Now I know porcupines don't actually shoot quills, but the giant fantasy version could have this ability having evolved in a magic rich environment like UO is.

Last edited:

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
How are animals without human hands supposed to use bows and arrows? Makes no sense

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Before they changed it, that basically is what Magery Mastery did to your pet. It changed the pet's AI so that they preferred to stay at range, and blast away with spells.
Centaurs and Skeletrex in Despise are examples of "pets" with Archery.

That would be interesting, even just one. Just like Diablo. We could armor them and give them a weapon.
Lol. I had created a thread about that years ago. Have Inns function like Stables for hirelings.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Porcupine? Sends out a cloud of needles that stuns for 3 seconds, then bleed for 5 more. Cool down 3 seconds. Just spit that off the top of me pointy head. <shrug>

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Porcupine? Sends out a cloud of needles that stuns for 3 seconds, then bleed for 5 more. Cool down 3 seconds. Just spit that off the top of me pointy head. <shrug>
I think the pvp crowds' collective heads would explode if a pet had that ability lol.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
No thanks.

Where do people come up with these things?

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I think the pvp crowds' collective heads would explode if a pet had that ability lol.
Imagine a tamer with 2 of these ... 2 slot size. Would make for some interesting times, would it not?

Maybe it's time that complacency got rocked a little bit. Oh well ... like I said - it was just **something** off the top of my head. Sorta like War Elephants and things like that.

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's amazing that the archery concept was elaborated to machine gun ability or cannon power pets. The existing mobs, like centaurs, orc scouts, ratman archers, the lizardman in Revamped Wrong, are examples for shooting behavior. I can't see any overpower issues.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's amazing that the archery concept was elaborated to machine gun ability or cannon power pets. The existing mobs, like centaurs, orc scouts, ratman archers, the lizardman in Revamped Wrong, are examples for shooting behavior. I can't see any overpower issues.
Pets and archers are not wanted in PvP. You want to ruin PvP more than a bird did. :stir:

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
A 4 or 5 slot NPC for non-tamers that you can gear and skill would be amazing. Or being able to alter a golem as a tinker to gear it and skill it. "Adding enhancements..." for mats and crafting potential.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Despite what you may be told, some ideas are indeed bad ones.

Otherwise, I'd like my wolf to have a lightsaber.
Did you read my other post? We're not talking about a dog shooting a bow. We're talking about fantasy creatures that shoot missile weapons. My example was the manticore. How is having an additional fantasy creature like that added to the game a bad idea? Despite what you have been told, I don't think you're the best judge on what is a good and bad idea because you dismiss things out of hand rather than reading the full breadth of the discussion. I mean, you're the one posting the really bad ideas like lightsabres in this thread right?

Last edited:

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Did you read my other post? We're not talking about a dog shooting a bow. We're talking about fantasy creatures that shoot missile weapons. My example was the manticore. How is having an additional fantasy creature like that added to the game a bad idea? Despite what you have been told, I don't think you're the best judge on what is a good and bad idea because you dismiss things out of hand rather than reading the full breadth of the discussion. I mean, you're the one posting the really bad ideas like lightsabres in this thread right?

Unfortunately for you (and me) I read it. Still a dumb idea.

The lightsaber was me being facetious. It doesn't surprise me you didn't pick up on it.

Keep trying champ.