• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Actual non-guild recruiting thread

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, yeah, I know...clan recruiting is king, but I'd rather discuss the actual game. Question to the other beta testers. What are your thoughts on the game controls?

I started up in beta last night (I know a little late) and I have to say, the movement and other game controls seem rather different from any other online game I've played. In my opinion they are not comfortable at all. In running around with my starter character, it was rather difficult to get my hands comfortable. Using both the key board and mouse at the same time (again imo) sucks. Maybe after time I will get used to it, but for now, I'm not really please with how akward they are. I also wonder how many old folks like me will develop carpel tunnel using these controls...lol.

Anywho, let's hear what everyone else has to say...honest opinions here folks...la

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I may need to join a large clan...rofl. The pks roam freely in Darkfall. I was killed 2 on 1 within minutes of logging in last night.

My ping averaged around 210 most of the time, so all I could do is watch and laugh as a couple of dwarves axed me to death...*waits for dwarf comment*...lol...la

S

spAcme

Not a beta tester, but very familiar with the two hand setup. Once a person gets used to it, it's amazing. You can look while running; run while clicking the interface buttons; aim your body one way while you strafe in the opposite direction. An absolute necessity for games that have real time targeting.

Back in the day, when I first played Quake, it was like the sky opened up and angels came down. Never before was I able to use the mouse to rotate the camera while I ran in a different direction. That's pretty much what the mouse is for fps-type games, camera control.

Sorry for any redundancy, just a biiig fan of this type of control setup. :D

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No problems at all. I guess I'm just not used to it. It doesn't help that I'm not familiar with the base hotkeys yet, so I was fumbling around just to figure out what did what. I'd love to be able to plug a consol gametype joystick and use that instead. I'll have to find out from the main site if that would be an option.

The thing is, I am so used to the ease of UO's controls, anything different can be confusing...la

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got very use to the controls after a while, I am use to other online games controls, but this one is actually quite simple once you get use to it.. It took me a few days, but everyone gets use to it.. I have an awesome gaming keyboard with this key pad to the left of it, and it really helps a lot...

http://www.thgtr.com/consumer/20080129/images/04image.jpg

get that keyboard.. I got mine at best buy..

K

K'torr

I hooked up my Nostromo n52 and created a Darkfall game profile.
Works pretty good I think.
Didn't much care for the keyboard either.