• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Absolute Beginner (Question)

G

Hi,
since I finally decided to buy a 7th char slot I now have space for an archer.
I have read the FAQ and several posts about templates and was thinking to piece together a bushido archer (mainly for PvM).

I was aiming for something like:
120 archery
120 Tact
120 Bush
100 Ana
100 Resist
100 heal
60 chiv

Question 1: i only chose healing cause it is listed in most of the templates here on the forum. But wouldnt a balanced bow (pots) and chiv be enough to heal me?

Question 2: a friend has suggested necro is a must for archers nowadays but he couldnt really make the benefit of necro clear to me.
Is there someone who knows why some points in necro are so important for archery (i know nothing bout necro itself)?

Question 3: I am building this char from scratch, which skills/stats should I start with? I mean what is the skill hardest to raise in your oppinion? Resist? Or maybe Bushido?

Last Question (promise): How is "velocity" obtained on a bow? Can it be crafted (only with runics maybe?)? Or only looted? Or is it only found on some artie bows?

Any input would mean great help,
thanks in advance,

Aris of Europa

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
1.you could go with balance chive and pots but finding a very good balance bow can be expensive and hard to find not to mention at 60 chive failing will happen
2. Im not familiar with necro so Ill leave this one for others

3.resist and Bushido if you have a soul stone and a toon with magery and a lrc suit I would train it up on them and transfer it if you do it this way you can have 80-90 resist fast took me 2 days this way
4. velocity is crafted with a runic and is great in my opinion for the long range bows with 10 range as the farther away you are the more damage you do I believe its caped at 30 currently

I

imported_Orion S|A

In my opinion, healing is preferred over pots. While with pots you get the advantage of instant results, band aids don't require a balanced bow. There are times where you will want to use a slayer bow to maximize your damage and will be unable to drink a pot without disarming. You already have anatomy so healing is a natural fit for your template. Plus bandaids are cheaper then pots.

Tactics I'd suggest setting to 100 which gives you another 20 points to distribute. I'd suggest putting that into Chiv so that you fail less even with the higher spells. 80 should be sufficient.

Healing above 80 is good for resurrections but I'd recommend putting the twenty points into something else.

Depending on your play style you might want to consider hiding/stealth in your template. It can be very useful in specific situations where an invis pot is too limited.

All but resist will go up naturally over the course of play and based on your actions i.e. casting chiv/bushido, combat raising anat/tactics/archery/healing. Resist comes in time, but may be the hardest to raise quickly for you.

One thing you might want to try is working a different combat skill such as sword to raise your anat/tactics and then dropping it as you raise archery. It will take a little longer but it gives you an alternate to archery while you're developing your character.

If you haven't found an archery 120 scroll try and secure a 110 or 115 in the meantime. Cheaper and it will allow you to continue to work your skills beyond 100 while you locate a higher scroll.

Sorry no idea about your necro question. Chiv and Bushido though will raise your damage capabilities as well as offer other benefits.

You're asking the right questions. One thing to bear in mind is that EA will nerf certain skills from time to time which causes people to reevaluate their templates. The Chiv/Bushido option imo offers the most at present but pick skills that you think will offer you the most based on your play style.

Don't underestimate the benefits of good equipment as well. Consider a bloodwood bow especially starting out.

G

The necro is for Vampire form, I run 40 necro and use items (talisman, jewels, grimoire, cursed midnight bracers) to boost it to 100. Cast Vamp form and then store all the items, you have to make up for the fire weakness but you get stamina/mana regen, life leech on each hit and immunity to most poison. You can't cast spells with garlic in em, or use cure potions (garlic damages you) but neither of those should really be a problem for non-mages.

Rey~

C

Connor_Graham

This is the template I use with a 715 Skill cap, and can solo every paragon in the game, all but one of the Doom bosses, and a couple of the Peerless as well:

Archery 120
Bushido 120
Tactics 110 (115 at 720 cap)
Healing 100
Anatomy 100
Resist 90
Chiv 75

C

Connor_Graham

To answer your questions:

1. You'd be better off going with Healing imo. Balanced bows are few and far between with the mods you'll want, and in the variety you'll need considering slayers, mana leech bows, etc. This also gives you the ability to rez other party members, and if you work Compassion up to Knight, can rez them at 80% hp's.

2. Necro is mainly used for Vamp form, which gives some mana & stamina regen, plus life leech on each successful hit. IMO, archers really don't need it, and find it a waste of skills points in PvM. Bandages & Confidence from Bushido work just fine to heal any damage you might take. Archers are ranged characters, and don't plan on getting hit except by spell damage, which is pretty easy to heal through even on high end stuff. I suppose what you could do is cast Vamp form, then soulstone off the Necro and put back on the normal skill for your template, but it gets to be a pain (I've tried this) and I personally have never had the need for it.

3. Velocity is found on one piece of junk minor artifact bow, or is available as a possible property from runic kits.