• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Suggestion] about reforging and bribe system

RaistlinNowhere

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know the dev team want to improve the old crafting ways , tailoring and smithing, to be useful again but if they make this live, like they are now will mess up all the good idea it have behind.
The way it is now, will improve the crafting system to be a bit more useful, without thinking of making an imbued piece, BUT it need some rules to be a succefully thing.

After testing a lot on TC, and thought about the changes, what will them mean once the publish goes live, and other things, i suggest these changes :

1º - Reforging --> make it to need, smithing/tailor to be done. Its totally RP logical , because you need black/tailor to do runics. Its totally a stupidity to allow all player, that never had a worker char or invested time on making one, to do reforging. (thanks petra for the imbuing point)

2º - Bribe system --> make it only posibly once you reach at 120 black, and need mining in the same % you need it to mine coloured ore for the right coloured bod OR need 100 mining and 120 black to do bribe. We can do this point including mining or not ( thanks pinco for this point)

I think these ideas are totally logical, and common sense, but please i ask other players to talk about what they think about these 2 ideas.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
point 1.
While I agree some craft skill should be required, I'd go with just the skill that was needed to craft the item - but that could be just because my imbuing is not on the same character as my smith/tailoring on either shard I play - it's on my gargoyle mystic, and my bowcrafting is on another character entirely. Not to mention tinkering and carpentry.

On the other hand, it could create a market for the crafters selling plain iron and leather items for others to re-forge?

Point 2. Assuming things stay as is regarding claiming bods - you still need a smith/tailor with high skill level to fill them, otherwise they're useless pieces of paper.

So, while my initial thought is to agree with you, on deeper reflection I'm not sure it's needed.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the soulforge is just a magical forge with anvil so imbuing it's not a requirement at all.
If you could choose exactly what mods you get would have sense... as it is the soulforge is just a requirement to check if your account is entitled with SA or not :D

I never had my mining skill on my blacksmith, since I got better results by having a resource gater and a crafter separated. Other than that mining has no effects on blacksmith if not for recycling items, and filling a bod do not requires recycling skills :p

RaistlinNowhere

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Petra :

You are right, i didnt think that not everybody have imbuing and black on the same char, is my fault, and you are right. But still i think that at least 120 black have to be needed.

The problem if the dev team doesnt do that , is that anyone without blacksmithing skill can take a Bod and convert it into a valorite 20 HQ, or other high end bod, flooding the market and making the whole new system a failure of revamping crafting chars and their importance in UO. Its a nonsense to allow non crafting char "using" a bod system reward system.

And about the market, im positive that this new system will revive , like you said , "create a market for the crafters selling plain iron and leather items for others to re-forge". (im nolstalgic remembering about mining in Minoc and selling my resources there snif.... )

Pinco :

I said the example of the soulforge, for making a point for asking imbuing as a skill needed, but i answer about above. But you are right, mining is the same as imbuing, but i still think it make more sense to ask about it, but plain 120 blacksmithing can work as well.

Ill edit the opening post, to introduce this and change the point 1 and 2. Still looking for more constructive points that can allow the dev team to make a better system ^^

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Petra :

You are right, i didnt think that not everybody have imbuing and black on the same char, is my fault, and you are right. But still i think that at least 120 black have to be needed.

The problem if the dev team doesnt do that , is that anyone without blacksmithing skill can take a Bod and convert it into a valorite 20 HQ, or other high end bod, flooding the market and making the whole new system a failure of revamping crafting chars and their importance in UO. Its a nonsense to allow non crafting char "using" a bod system reward system.

And about the market, im positive that this new system will revive , like you said , "create a market for the crafters selling plain iron and leather items for others to re-forge". (im nolstalgic remembering about mining in Minoc and selling my resources there snif.... )

Pinco :

I said the example of the soulforge, for making a point for asking imbuing as a skill needed, but i answer about above. But you are right, mining is the same as imbuing, but i still think it make more sense to ask about it, but plain 120 blacksmithing can work as well.

Ill edit the opening post, to introduce this and change the point 1 and 2. Still looking for more constructive points that can allow the dev team to make a better system ^^
ok, here is more:

1) I think the best way is to put as requirement the same skill required to make the item.

2) 120 to bribe would be too much, the better way should be to allow the upgrade only for items/materials that you can make. For example if you can't work valorite, you can't upgrade an order more than verite.
This way allows new player to upgrade the orders while raising the skill in order to match their level.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not all bods will be able to be reached by bribing. I have a large bod for 10 verite plate.

So far I've found that the quantity goes up before the metal type, though I need to test further and would welcome input from others. On my experience nothing will 'bribe' up to that bod. 10 agapite will go to 15 agapite and 20 agapite will go to 20 verite?

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I was bribing tailors and it didn't always go quantity first.

I was trying to raise 10 count and 15 count to 20s and it would upgrade the material first instead.

RaistlinNowhere

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
when you bribe, its random what you get upgraded, and if you got 6 plate large bod of iron , can be upgraded until 20 excep valorite, so you can get high end coloured bods from a simple iron one.

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mining not required for receiving smith BODs.
NO to point 2.
Max possible material should be limited by your current skill.

As for reforging, having supplemental skills should reduce required charges of tool. Say -1 use per GM skill, -2 uses per 120 skill. Max reduce -4 for 120/120 in tailor/imbuing or smith/imbuing.
Or, for skill above 100 should be chance for not brittle item. Like (skill-100)/10, so at 120 skill you have 2% chance for item w/o disadvantages.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
like I said in another thread make it so that you can only upgrade a bod to the level of materials you can smith!

Example to upgrade to valorite you would need 99 blacksmithing 65 for dull copper

PJay

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So far I've found that the quantity goes up before the metal type
Ive bribed around 20 dull copper bods only 1 of this 20 upgraded the units the other 19 went metal upgrade all the way too valorite.

The bribes need more than just skill throttling. There needs to be a limit to how many times you can bribe.

Id actually be much happier if you could only bribe at 120 crafting skill and the bribe would give you a random bod highier than the one you hand in.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ive bribed around 20 dull copper bods only 1 of this 20 upgraded the units the other 19 went metal upgrade all the way too valorite.

The bribes need more than just skill throttling. There needs to be a limit to how many times you can bribe.

Id actually be much happier if you could only bribe at 120 crafting skill and the bribe would give you a random bod highier than the one you hand in.
limit to 120 skill made the whole system inaccessible to new players...
it's much more wise to scale the effect of the bribery based on the skill...

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If skill requirement for current BOD material greater than player skill minus 20 (25 or 30), then deny upgrade.

PJay

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Or just no bribe till 120 then its a perk of being 120?

Also why would new players need to be instantly able to upgrade things? If they are truely new they wont have the gold anyways nor the ingots tools etc etc the list goes on.

Think of the NPC also if hes affraid of being caught why would he/she be bribed by a new player / crafter (i.e. low skill).

The amount of skill is a minor issue the ease of getting top end items is the main issue.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Or just no bribe till 120 then its a perk of being 120?

Also why would new players need to be instantly able to upgrade things? If they are truely new they wont have the gold anyways nor the ingots tools etc etc the list goes on.

Think of the NPC also if hes affraid of being caught why would he/she be bribed by a new player / crafter (i.e. low skill).

The amount of skill is a minor issue the ease of getting top end items is the main issue.
I remember when I raised tailoring and blacksmith after the bod change that you can get a new bod when you complete one.... I made a lot of money while growing the skill... maybe it's not the fastest way, but was fun and more remunerative than burning resources for nothing...

To back to the question... since now you get totally random bods, being able to upgrade them let new players able to swap/sell them and earn some money or just get a reward that would fit to their skill.
For example if you reach 70-80 skill, getting some order with dull copper/shadow cold provide nice rewards like pof.

Also think about siege, if you put the limit to 120 and they are 90 skill they are stuck for a long time with useless bods...