• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A Theory on the Cavern of the Discarded

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'm wondering if anyone can confirm this. It seems to me, and the name is a bit of a clue, that items that decay on the ground in game are being entered into a loot table now, and when the champ is killed, a random number of those items are randomly distributed throughout the cavern in a randomly random way... Is that random enough for ya?

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone can confirm this. I'm always finding items that obviously came from players down there. At first I thought someone was just running around dumping stuff there for the fun of it. But something tells me there is more to it than that.

edit: My other thought is that these are items from OSI idocs.

edit again: My other thought is maybe that these items aren't linked to the killing of the champ, but maybe are placed like daily rares.

edit once more with feeling: It appears that those player items just spawn randomly and are not linked to server up or the death of the champ.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Close, but not quite.

It's been specifically stated elsewhere by the devs that ANYTHING thrown into a trash barrel or or analogues thereof in the game, will have a chance of being deposited in the Cavern, instead of being deleted.

T-Hunt

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeppers ..its like flushing the toilet and the pipe is broken half way down...

You get alot of junk ....and a way to see the amount of people boting crafting...
Place on GL is litered with bows,heating stands and other stuff crafters make..

But at times theres good stuff also...Just waiting for it..

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
All in all, one of the coolest ideas I think the devs ever had. I found two valorite krysses just now that are easily worth a frag each. :)

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
It appears that when items are deposited in the Cavern, it is everything that was in the trash barrel when it is emptied. That's why I think we are seeing similar items, or multiple items that obviously came from the same source.

S

Serine

It appears that when items are deposited in the Cavern, it is everything that was in the trash barrel when it is emptied. That's why I think we are seeing similar items, or multiple items that obviously came from the same source.
Dont think its everything . seen my own inscribed spell books there . but only a few and i dump about 70 or so each time .

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Dont think its everything . seen my own inscribed spell books there . but only a few and i dump about 70 or so each time .
Wow, that means there is a good chance that someone threw out a dozens of relic fragments... :eek:

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yesterday was profitable - found 7 exceptional barb & horned sbods, 6 of them for LBOD Barb rsk reward :) Also got 3 110 power scrolls, blue greed skull, and 2 crafted hvy xbows (one relic fragquality and 1 ee).

When I returned in evening, usual trash - staves and bows and chimes:)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Never have understtod people who have tossed chimes in the garbage after the release of ML - and especially since the crafting menu changes of SA.

You make the right kind of chime, and you can do Heartwood quests - bypassing the garbage can altogether, and possibly getting the Resilient Bracer, Essence of Battle or Scrapper's Compendium recipe. With the auto-marking feature now in 2D, it's a no brainer (just make the number that the quest gives).