• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A Question about GD skills.

S

Shaydow

Im just returning to UO after about 5 years gone, and decided to tame myself my first Greater Dragon. This is the first pet Ive had after playing this game for nearlly 6 years that can have over 100 in a skill.

I did some reading first and found that in order to determine a GD's max skill lvls for wrestle/tactics/resists after tame, to take the fresh tamed skill values and multiply them by 1.25. This gave me these values :

Wrestle 91.4 = max 11.4.3
Tactics 92.2 = max 115.3
resists 82.2 = max 103.5

The problem Im having, and so now finnally to my question, is I went out to train this GD on a Shadow ele for awile yesterday. I maxed his resists and sure enough it stopped at 103.5, now the weird part. His wrestling skill was at 101.4 when his tactics skill hit 102.9, now the thing is, his tactics STOPPED moving. I managed to get his wrestle to 114.3 AND almost GM his anatomy while I was at it, but for almost 5 hours yesterday his tactics didnt move at all and stayed at 102.9. What gives? Is the formula for tactics different then for wrestle / resists? If my math was right for those 2, shouldnt the max for tactics be 115.3? Is the max tactics I can gain off the ele's 102.9? ( this doesnt make much sense to me since I raised his wrestling so high on it ).

Any help figuring this out is appreciated. Thank you.

Z

Zodiac19

Once you hit 102 in tactics did you change shadow ele's? If you did than the new one might not have had its tactics high enough for your draggy to train against. You will need something that is within 25 points of your dragons tactics for it to move. Go try the sphynx it spawns high enough and mabey a change will give it the start it needs.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did notice something similar with my dragon, a long time ago. The person taming my dragon expected its tactics to reach into the 110-120 range (I don't have the exact number on hand right now), and its tactics stopped at 106. But since its resists are incredible and its wrestling is 123.4 (easy to remember number), I never much worried about a few extra points of damage.

Anyhow, go hunt other things. Use the dragon in a "real world" environment and if the tactics will raise more, then they'll definitely do so.

Also, I think pets also have GGS(but have never seen this confirmed outside of my own experiences), so if you wait a couple of days then try again, you should see a gain quickly.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I usually train my greater dragons up a bit on rune beetles, onis, sphynx, hiryu and rotting corpses to max out their dex and raise some skills. Then I take them back to Destard to kill wild greater dragons. They seem to give some of the best gains in all of the skills.

S

Shaydow

I did not change to a new ele, it was the same one I stayed on for about 5 hours. His Wrestle slowlly went up untill it maxed, I didnt get the chance to finish his anat but it was in the 90's when I stopped. I will take him out hunting and see if it jumpstarts his tactics again as soon as he is bonded :p

P.S, I kept this guy as my first one, his magery skill is only 109.5, and the rest of him was about avg, but all of his restinces where at 95% to 100% on the calc, so I thought he was a keeper.