• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A PAH Announcement and Apology!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gus of Llanowar

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The guy was the head of a private ingame bank. He took all the money in the bank and sold it for like $5,000? Used it to put a down payment on a house, iirc.
My mistake, he didn't take it ALL
Mega-popular MMO EVE Online prides itself on its realistic, player-controlled economy. In a scarily familiar episode of games-imitating-life, EBank, EVE's largest virtual bank, has been shut down after a former CEO embezzled 200 billion ISK from it.

Known only as "Ricdic," the former CEO is actually a 20-something Australian guy who works in the tech industry, according to Reuters. After he made off with a fat wad of virtual spacebucks, he sold them for about $5000 worth of realbucks, which he used to make a down payment on a house and pay some medical bills. I probably would've used the loot to buy PCP and Taiwanese ladyboys, but to each his own.

When the rest of the EVE community caught wind of the theft, things got a little nasty. According to the New York Times, 5.5 trillion ISK were quickly pulled from EBank, effectively crippling the bank's ability to operate or give out loans. There are about 300,000 EVE users, 130,000 of which had accounts with EBank. With thousands of them clamoring to be refunded in full, some users are appealing directly to the developers for help, but CCP's laissez-faire approach will probably preclude any sort of intervention -- this wouldn't be the first time they've let players sort out their own messes.

Ricdic has been banned from EVE, but not for embezzlement: trading in-game assets for cash is against EVE's terms of service. If he had simply stolen the money and used it in game, he'd still be playing EVE. ""We have never seen ourselves as gods who make the rules of social interaction," said Eyjolfur Gudmundsson, an economics adviser to CCP. "You are able to lose the things you have created. That's what makes the world interesting."

A married father of two, Ricdic says that, while he regrets stealing the money, he would do it again in the same situation: "I saw that as an avenue that could be taken, and I decided to skim off the top, you could say, to overcome real life difficulties."

Sounds like a typical CEO

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Go for it. EA will be sitting at the defence table. You name one law this person broke. He did not hack anything. He did not use any illegal program. He did not use an exploit. He did use legal game play and you agree to those rules everytime you log into UO.

You people need to get real.

And if you know this person and go to his house and do anything to him then you have broken some real laws and you can enjoy you real time in a real jail.
Stole $1000's ........................... And the proof is in the puddin. Good luck hunting down this scum

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, this is a game. But real life actions should have real life consequences.
Sure. Legal repercussions should follow illegal acts. There was no illegal act committed. And who is to say what repercussions will follow? Everything we do has consequences, though they are not often visible or instantaneous.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am reminded of an article I read in a computer gaming magazine a couple of years ago. The game was Eve on line. A massive infiltration and back stab that took months to pull off.
Something like that happens at least once a month in Eve Online. The largest alliance in the game lost everything when the guild leader betrayed everyone 2 months ago. He made off with well over 1 trillion in assets ($100,000). Not to mention causing thousands of people to lose their items in areas they no longer had access to because enemies moved in and took the space.

There is extreme irony because he joined after betraying another alliance.

The only way not to get burned by stuff like this is to make sure you never give out more than you are prepared to lose.

Konge

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone who defends this guy's actions is just as bad a he is...
I think you're misunderstanding what some people are saying. I doubt anyone is defending his actions, I might be wrong. I could see why someone would.

What I'm seeing more than actually defending is stating that he actually didn't break any rules. That's what it comes down to. No matter who's side your on, he didn't actually break any of EA's policys. That's the closer right there. It would actually be wrong for EA to do this, this causes other people to have a valid reason to page a GM for every item that's scammed from them. This might be the right way to go, in your opinion and that's fine. But this causes them to contradict their "We don't replace lost or stolen items." This is when the Can O Worms opens up.

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The difference there is that it would effect you and your guild, a comparatively small number. Also, the fact that this was a rather large event that a great many people, not just the rares fanatics, were looking forward to. EA even chose this as the first player run event that it would materially support (tunics, EM time (paid or not), etc.)[/FONT][/COLOR]
How many people lost items? What if I am in one of the largest guilds in UO? Your argument here is that it is wrong based on how much was scammed or how many people were effected? So if this guy took only half of what he did it would be OK, because fewer people were effected and the stuff stolen would be worth less? Please let me know what the limit is on how many people could be effected and how much the "loot" can be worth.

The perpetrator of this theft, no its not a scam, is apparently one of the main organizers. He was certainly quite visible throughout the event... So.. trust.. yeah.. It's an issue, but crap happens anyway. Trust is not an excuse.[/FONT][/COLOR]
That is actually a very good definition of a scam. Preying upon peoples trust or naivete.

Uhm. No. Scamming is not "part of the game. Not now, not ever. A part of the game would be a skill, using game mechanics. Scams have happened because a great many people become total D-bags due to internet anonymity. Nothing more.[/FONT][/COLOR]
It is not an exploit of the game mechanics. It is not utilizing a third party program. Not a violation of the TOS. It has happened since the very start of UO. EA/Mythic is aware of it, and has even included warning about its existence. Sounds like part of the game to me.

I was one of those people.. Sad to see that those threads were so prescient.
Yes it is. :(

That argument doesn't even remotely hold water. Again this person stole from the community. Not just pixels, or potential IRL money... He stole the trust of the community, tarnished the festival, and ruined the event for MANY people.
See above. Not against the TOS, no exploit, no third party program. Just a scam. Despicable yes. Bannable...no.

Sorry, even in Fel you have insurance. If you didn't ensure your suit that’s your own damn fault - and you know it.
And if you trusted your mega valuables in a game to someone you didn't know? And i can't insure my cursed scrolls, or my million dollar checks.

The guy didn't steal the rares for any in game reason. He stole them for IRL gains. Monetary gains. So yeah, this is a real life issue too.
So your saying that its his intent that makes this a "crime", So if he comes on this board and says "well, I just wanted to pull off the biggest scam in UO history", he would be forgiven? What if he sells the stuff as an afterthought, but his original intent was just to see if he could do it? And a stolen 120 magery scroll for sale on Ebay (back when it was allowed)? Also a "crime"?

Just because this is a game doesn’t give you license to be a jackass. If you think it does, its YOU has the problem.
And the definition of a Jackass is what? I suspect that there are many different definitiosn we could come up with that would cover a lot of people. But I suspect you will want to work with your definition, and not anyone elses who differs.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This guy pretended to be something he obviously (after the fact) wasn't, and stole billions worth (in gold) of rares that were set up for an event that many people were looking forward to and was pretty much the centerpiece of the Rares Event.

This is directly from UO.com
What constitutes a scam?

A scam is the act of acquiring item(s) from another player through misinformation, confusion and pressure, or by taking advantage of basic trust. A GM will not be able to intervene in such instances.

Konge

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ate the person who as stolen from? that would be a horrible crime
Apparently you missed the whole substance of it, and the part where I said i haven't slept in a long time and it's 3am. No brownie points for you, Mr. Cool Kid who find a typo.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think you're misunderstanding what some people are saying. I doubt anyone is defending his actions, I might be wrong. I could see why someone would.

What I'm seeing more than actually defending is stating that he actually didn't break any rules. That's what it comes down to. No matter who's side your on, he didn't actually break any of EA's policys. That's the closer right there. It would actually be wrong for EA to do this, this causes other people to have a valid reason to page a GM for every item that's scammed from them. This might be the right way to go, in your opinion and that's fine. But this causes them to contradict their "We don't replace lost or stolen items." This is when the Can O Worms opens up.
It's their game. The EULA can be changed however they want, whenever they want. Even if they did something that wasn't espressly stated, implied, or perhaps even allowed... they still could.. It's their game.

They should delete the rares that were stolen. No reason the D-bad should profit from other's misery, that'd be too much like the real world for most of you.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Stole $1000's ........................... And the proof is in the puddin. Good luck hunting down this scum
He did not steal $1000, he stole the use of some UO items. Nobody owns anything in UO, EA owns it all. You are just granted the use of those items.

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Der.. No.. Have you not been following what happened? The stealing skill wasn't used at all.. And to equate this theft to the use of the stealing skill makes no sense.

Had this guy walked up to you in Fel, snooped, and then used the stealing skill to snag a rare from someone (or a power scroll) then more power to them... Thats using actual game mechanics as they were designed. You were in Fel, thats part of risk vs reward in that ruleset.

This guy pretended to be something he obviously (after the fact) wasn't, and stole billions worth (in gold) of rares that were set up for an event that many people were looking forward to and was pretty much the centerpiece of the Rares Event.

OK, check on the lack of humor regarding the stealing skill. :)

Game mechanics also let me lie in the game, and as a result "scam" you out of stuff due to your trust/naivete. It is a part of being human. From the first time Thrag told Grok that he only wanted to look at his nicely roasted turkey leg, and then promptly ate it.

So, speaking in game, acting, roleplaying, etc. are all game mechanics as designed. You may not like the fact that the scammer used these mechanics to gain access to peoples stuff (and frankly, neither do I), but it has been, and always will be, part of the game.

A

Aristillus

No one has ever heard the tale of the Scorpion and the Frog?

I Feel bad for those who trusted the Rares fest Auction Staff. But a thief is a thief. Especially one who sucks so bad in game that they can only try to compare to their Idol's. The person who did this will never reach the status of those that had true skill. It's almost funny....the person who is the supposed thief in this probably has less successful steals then the average Trammel dungeon thief.

While I agree he is surely a Giant ******....People decided to trust someone who's personal label clearly read "I AM FU@$ING TROUBLE!!!

Who would friend a thief to their house? An idiot? A trusting fool? or an accomplice?

Guess we may never know....But the only victims are those who put their rares in the auction.

Konge

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's their game. The EULA can be changed however they want, whenever they want. Even if they did something that wasn't espressly stated, implied, or perhaps even allowed... they still could.. It's their game.

They should delete the rares that were stolen. No reason the D-bad should profit from other's misery, that'd be too much like the real world for most of you.
I'm actually in the real world, you're in a world where justice always prevails. I'm just telling you the facts. You see, even if they did change their EULA, the person who actually stole those items, wouldn't actually be under the consequences of that EULA as the theft happened BEFORE the change. Pretty sure there's a legal term for that.

You're taking personal offense to people who disagree with you, as if they completely defend this person. I don't, he did wrong. But those are the facts. Nothing against you.

Also, your "too much like the real world" has very little to do with anything actually. Stating a company's EULA isn't real world? Also, how would the items being deleted be realistic? And how would it effect me or, anyone actually besides the actual person?

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

This is directly from UO.com
What constitutes a scam?

A scam is the act of acquiring item(s) from another player through misinformation, confusion and pressure, or by taking advantage of basic trust. A GM will not be able to intervene in such instances.
You know how to cut and paste, good for you!

You should also recognize that thats about a 3rd grade definition of a scam...

Calling this just a scam is like calling a Ponzi scheme just 'a minor financial mishap.'

But I'm glad you people are so blindly willing to accept this sort of behavior in UO as 'normal.' This would be the "permissive attitude" I mentioned earlier.

Konge

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Calling this just a scam is like calling a Ponzi scheme just 'a minor financial mishap.'

But I'm glad you people are so blindly willing to accept this sort of behavior in UO as 'normal.' This would be the "permissive attitude" I mentioned earlier.
See? You're taking personal offense to anyone who differs in opinion to you.

Also, that definition is relevant as that's what EA defines a scam, and thus would fall under their policy.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes if EA wanted to they could change the rules for the furture.

And it is espressly stated, espressle implied and espressly allowed under these conditions.
At some point in time it's possible that in UO, just as in real life, someone will try to scam you out of your hard-earned possessions. A GM can assist you in this case only if game mechanics were exploited to allow the scam. As there are very few exploits of this nature, more often than not the scam is just a scam and a GM will not be able to intervene. An exploit is defined as bypassing normal game mechanics in an unintended manner. If you are in doubt as to which your situation may be a GM can help clarify this. Essentially though, the responsibility is yours to keep your self safe from scamming. Common sense, knowledge and caution are always good in any trade situation.
This is from UO.com about scamming and this.
What constitutes a scam?

So right or wrong EA says it is ok to scam as long as you do not use an exploit. Those are the current rules that we all agree to play by.

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Actually, a Ponzi scheme is also a scam. A particular type of scam, but it is a scam.

Just a side note as well, whether anything is scammed (Ponzi scheme or other scheme), stolen, etc. has nothing to do with quantity of people effected or stolen.

Using your example of a Ponzi scheme just being called a "minor financial mishap". What if the Ponzi scheme was run for a very small amount of money (say $50). Might that be a "minor financial mishap"? you seem to be fixated on this being bad more for the value stolen and number of people effected rather than for the actions themselves.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm actually in the real world, you're in a world where justice always prevails. I'm just telling you the facts. You see, even if they did change their EULA, the person who actually stole those items, wouldn't actually be under the consequences of that EULA as the theft happened BEFORE the change. Pretty sure there's a legal term for that.
I wish I was in a just world, but sadly no.. I'm in the one where theives can sue the people they burgled because the slipped and fell in their kitchen while stealing the silver... Grow up.

Again, its THEIR GAME. They can do whatever they damned well want, at any time - and WE have no say in it.

See, I can cut and paste too! WOW!

"(c) Rights. You acknowledge and agree that all characters created, and items acquired and developed as a result of game
play are part of the Software and Service and are the sole property of EA.com.
"

So, that mean all the items we have, characters included, aren't ours. So, EA can do what it damn well pleases with "our" items.

You're taking personal offense to people who disagree with you, as if they completely defend this person. I don't, he did wrong. But those are the facts. Nothing against you.
No, I just have little failth in humanity... Especially when people blithely accept behavior like this. Bad things happen to good people, and those who watch turn a blind eye.

Also, your "too much like the real world" has very little to do with anything actually. Stating a company's EULA isn't real world? Also, how would the items being deleted be realistic? And how would it effect me or, anyone actually besides the actual person?
That was called sarcasm. Deleting the items would effect the thief - he wouldn't be able to profit from his theft.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
See? You're taking personal offense to anyone who differs in opinion to you.

Also, that definition is relevant as that's what EA defines a scam, and thus would fall under their policy.

Actually, no, that was sarcasm.. You all seem to have a hard time detecting that.. I'll make sure its in italics from now on..

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

LOL That is EAs definition of a scam no matter if you like it or not.

What is the difference between this and a new player that got scammed out of his first house/Val armor/Vang wep and when he came to the boards all people told him is welcome to UO, live and learn, trust no one.

NOTHING.

Just because it was some rares makes it no different then any other scam. Someone lost something that was a value to them, it does not matter the value of that item, a scam is a scam.

A

Aristillus

What I also find amusing is the fact the person who caused all of this probably still has more friends in UO then in real life.

Though this sh%t pile will never be rememberd as a UO thief....Just a back stabber, who could have done it with 100 camping as easily as 120 stealing.

What a lonely world for a fat, friendless, fu$khead.:popcorn:

Konge

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wish I was in a just world, but sadly no.. I'm in the one where theives can sue the people they burgled because the slipped and fell in their kitchen while stealing the silver... Grow up.
I hope you're not telling me to grow up? Being a realist is not refraining from growing up. Taking offense at anyone who opposes you though, is.

Again, its THEIR GAME. They can do whatever they damned well want, at any time - and WE have no say in it.

See, I can cut and paste too! WOW!
Yes, yet you fail to see what this could cause. I think it's you who needs to grow up. If they were to change the EULA just because someone was scammed, everytime something morally questionable happens, they'd be expected to. Thus discounting their actual control of the game. Yes, they can do whatever they want. We all know this. But, they're also at the mercy of their subscribers, giving them too much of what they deem to be correct instead of actually holding their guns via policy, actually causes them to loose control. That causes critical failures.

So, that mean all the items we have, characters included, aren't ours. So, EA can do what it damn well pleases with "our" items.
That also means that what happened wasn't illegal in anyway and thus, no one needs to be punished.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
General note to the thread: the word 'effect' is not the same as the word 'affect'. Effect means a result, as in "the effect of me driving over the cat was immediately apparent." Affect means to alter, as in "reading threads where people misuse effect/affect affects my humor."

Also "lose" is not spelled "loose". You didn't have an item you loost did you? No, you "lost" it. ONE O.

Ok, carry on.

Konge

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, no, that was sarcasm.. You all seem to have a hard time detecting that.. I'll make sure its in italics from now on..
You seem to have a hard time understanding sarcasm is hard to detect with toneless words.

You see, I'm not psychic, I can't mind read the tone you want me to read.

That's internet lingo 101.

Unless sarcasm is blatently obvious, it's hard to detect by everyone unless they specifically know you.

Also, it is 3:30am, so let's just ignore the fact that the human mind doesn't degrade in it's ability to use cognitive thought to realize your posts are sarcastic.

Or let's just pretend I don't care. I put that in italics for you.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, a Ponzi scheme is also a scam. A particular type of scam, but it is a scam.

Just a side note as well, whether anything is scammed (Ponzi scheme or other scheme), stolen, etc. has nothing to do with quantity of people effected or stolen.

Using your example of a Ponzi scheme just being called a "minor financial mishap". What if the Ponzi scheme was run for a very small amount of money (say $50). Might that be a "minor financial mishap"? you seem to be fixated on this being bad more for the value stolen and number of people effected rather than for the actions themselves.
Again, that was mainly sarcasm.

And no, it wasn't bad due to the amount stolen. Its particularly bad due to the amount of PEOPLE effected. I used IRL exaples that are relatable, not exact.

By EA's rather broad definition what he did could be classified as a scam, however, so could any theft at that point.

The whole point is what was done is completely reprehensible. Just because the EULA doesn't expressly forbid it doesn't mean the guy gets away with the loot and no reprecussions.

This act damaged the community as a whole, Pac's rep for player events, WRR, and EA for sitting in its thumbs while the guy runs off to profit.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

No, I just have little failth in humanity... Especially when people blithely accept behavior like this. Bad things happen to good people, and those who watch turn a blind eye.
You are right. You own nothing in UO. You just have a right to use EAs items.

To me you think just because we know the rules of the game that we accept what this person did. We may not like it but we know the rules and by the rules this peoson did nothing wrong in UO. What I think is so funny is the fact that people are equating this with real life and want this person banned, hung, beheaded, burned at the cross and thrown in jail for real. It will never happen because a Judge will find out that what he did in UO was leagal so there is no case. Also people are saying go to his house, for what some UO items. This is getting out of hand. People need to get real, this crap is not worth hurting someone over.

Konge

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You are right. You own nothing in UO. You just have a right to use EAs items.

To me you think just because we know the rules of the game that we accept what this person did. We may not like it but we know the rules and by the rules this peoson did nothing wrong in UO. What I think is so funny is the fact that people are equating this with real life and want this person banned, hung, beheaded, burned at the cross and thrown in jail for real. It will never happen because a Judge will find out that what he did in UO was leagal so there is no case. Also people are saying go to his house, for what some UO items. This is getting out of hand. People need to get real, this crap is not worth hurting someone over.
It is, just a game, right? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.