• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

a note to PVPers

• Thread starter Belanos/Icicle
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
B

Belanos/Icicle

one sentence: Please learn to %@#$ing spell.

taken from a real post on a pvp forum:
u remembr dat dude u wuz talkin 2 last nite? wat evr his [removed] name wuz
seriously I have never seen a pvm (trammy) post where words were shortened by removing vowels, where the letter S was perpetually replaced by the letter Z, or the myriad other things that people do to butcher their language. Ebonics are not for typing.

I enjoy reading pvp threads on occasion, but I'm not going to sit there for five minutes trying to figure out what meaning that this jumble of consonants and endless string of unpunctuated words is trying to convey.
I don't normally jump on people for anything, but seriously, in a world where everything is conveyed through text (online gaming) how difficult is it to punctuate or spell?

it wouldn't even be that bad if it were everyone. If I were the only person who bothered to spell out entire words or add commas and periods, then it wouldn't matter, I could live with being the weird one. But it is always PVPers. Never once can I recall seeing a non-pvp post that was so grammatically sodomized by some kewl d00d. this is UO, not the %$&*ing hood.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've never understood why people think it's cool to spell words like that. It really doesn't take a lot to actually spell words properly.

S

Sickshine

Not all pvpers are "leet speekers". It is my humble opinion that the ones speaking that way have had their brains damaged from using speed hacks. Just a possibility.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

u remembr dat dude u wuz talkin 2 last nite? wat evr his [removed] name wuz
seriously I have never seen a pvm (trammy) post where words were shortened by removing vowels, where the letter S was perpetually replaced by the letter Z, or the myriad other things that people do to butcher their language. Ebonics are not for typing.

I enjoy reading pvp threads on occasion, but I'm not going to sit there for five minutes trying to figure out what meaning that this jumble of consonants and endless string of unpunctuated words is trying to convey.
I don't normally jump on people for anything, but seriously, in a world where everything is conveyed through text (online gaming) how difficult is it to punctuate or spell?

it wouldn't even be that bad if it were everyone. If I were the only person who bothered to spell out entire words or add commas and periods, then it wouldn't matter, I could live with being the weird one. But it is always PVPers. Never once can I recall seeing a non-pvp post that was so grammatically sodomized by some kewl d00d. this is UO, not the %$&*ing hood.
This one's irony goes to eleven.

O

Old Man of UO

WTF iz diz 'ole thred bout??
It'sallaboutpeoplewhodon'ttakethetimeoraren'tcuteousehoughtospellwordsout.
Imean,howmuchtimedoesitreallytaketospellwordscorrectlyonacomputer??
It'snotliketheyaretestmessagingonaphone,withthreelettersperkey,howlazycanyouget?
Eventhen,ittakesmethreetimesaslongtodecipherthemessagefromL33Tspeakthen
whatIwouldcallnormalspeek. Whydopeopledothat? Ratherannoying.

R

RichDC

It'sallaboutpeoplewhodon'ttakethetimeoraren'tcuteousehoughtospellwordsout.
Imean,howmuchtimedoesitreallytaketospellwordscorrectlyonacomputer??
It'snotliketheyaretestmessagingonaphone,withthreelettersperkey,howlazycanyouget?
Eventhen,ittakesmethreetimesaslongtodecipherthemessagefromL33Tspeakthen
whatIwouldcallnormalspeek. Whydopeopledothat? Ratherannoying.
Do you know whats worse???

I actually found that easier to read!

Tiny Dancer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It doesn't work when we know you're british.

Also, I think that is more of a deep south than a leet speak.
No, it is not "Deep South" speak. I am from the Deep South and have never typed like that in my entire online life.
I have guildies who are also from the South and don't talk like that. Just because rappers from Atlanta speak and type without punctuation and correct spelling doesn't mean that all southerners do.
Its either pure laziness or they just don't know how to spell correctly. Keep in mind UO has a lot of young players these days. Young men are for the most part interested in PvP. So you have people barely out of grade school playing and attempting to communicate with others.

I think I have said this before in a different thread, don't try to fit everyone in little boxes based on what they do in UO. There are good and bad typers/spellers in Tram and Fel.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Young men are for the most part interested in PvP. So you have people barely out of grade school playing and attempting to communicate with others....

.... don't try to fit everyone in little boxes based on what they do in UO
Ironic.

Tiny Dancer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What is ironic is the person who started a thread picking on mentally handicapped people, calling them names and acting like you own the roads and then trying to justify and make excuses for yourself is now trying to play board god.

There is nothing ironic in my statement. It does not generalize nor pick on any certain individuals. I simply said MOST young men who play UO do like to PvP, I did not say ALL young men and I did not say only young men like to PvP. I am a woman and I PvP. I don't fit in any "little box" and nor do many others who play UO.

I will put this a little more simply for you, most young people do not communicate the same as most adults do. Teenage boys especially like to make up words and different spellings of words. That is a simple fact. I am not trying to offend anyone cause there are exceptions to everything.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey, I'm not the one who made them ********, I just have to deal with them.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, it is not "Deep South" speak. I am from the Deep South and have never typed like that in my entire online life.
I have guildies who are also from the South and don't talk like that. Just because rappers from Atlanta speak and type without punctuation and correct spelling doesn't mean that all southerners do.
Its either pure laziness or they just don't know how to spell correctly. Keep in mind UO has a lot of young players these days. Young men are for the most part interested in PvP. So you have people barely out of grade school playing and attempting to communicate with others.

I think I have said this before in a different thread, don't try to fit everyone in little boxes based on what they do in UO. There are good and bad typers/spellers in Tram and Fel.
Before you go off on some mini-rant defending your home land, maybe you should try to understand what I posted.

When I read what Rich wrote out loud it sounds like a southern accent to me. I wasn't referring to the whole leet speak sounding southern.

I'd love to blast you here for your hypocrisy but someone beat me to it.

Tiny Dancer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wasn't defending my home land silly. I was making a comment.

I would love to know how I am being a hypocrite though. Do explain sir.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
See Aran's post above that you attempted and failed to argue.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That doesn't explain how anyone is a hypocrite at all in that post, sorry.
Your apology is accepted. In turn I apologize, sometimes I give Stratics posters the benefit of the doubt in hopes that they will actually learn to read and interpret. Thank you for reminding me Viper09 that you represent the dimwitted population that plagues this forum.

Allow me to break it down for you.

Hypocrite -

1. a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, esp. a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.

Young men are for the most part interested in PvP. So you have people barely out of grade school playing and attempting to communicate with others.

I think I have said this before in a different thread, don't try to fit everyone in little boxes based on what they do in UO.
First she generalizes PvPers, and then immediately states that you shouldn't classify people. She said one thing, and then contradicted herself. In other words, she pretended to have a principle that she does not actually posses.

Thanks to dictionary.com for the exact definition.

Viper09, good luck in 8th grade.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your apology is accepted. In turn I apologize, sometimes I give Stratics posters the benefit of the doubt in hopes that they will actually learn to read and interpret. Thank you for reminding me Viper09 that you represent the dimwitted population that plagues this forum.

Hypocrite -

1. a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, esp. a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.

First she generalizes PvPers, and then immediately states that you shouldn't classify people. She said one thing, and then contradicted herself. In other words, she pretended to have a principle that she does not actually posses.

wow, someone is a bit edgy, lmao. You said see Aran's post, not her own post. I read Aran's post and didn't see any explanation there at all. Let alone anything in need of arguing. lol

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Viper... I think you ought to sit this one out. And by "this one" I mean "life."

Tiny Dancer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Hypocrite -

This is getting to be quite priceless. You are the proverbial pot my dear sir.

You have actually done what you are preaching against.

You said "when I read his statement out loud it sounded like someone from the Deep South had said it" Is that not sir, generalizing southerners?
You also stated that ONE person represented the entire Stratics Community by being in your opinion, dim-witted. If you want to claim you have the moral high ground for your generosity in not judging or "boxing" people then you have a long ways to go.

Then you turn around, google a word and think you are all that ? LoL ! Wake up and smell the roses little man. You don't know me or anyone else on these boards well enough to decide what kind of person I am, what I stand for and what I believe.

I made a comment based on (Google this and get the definition if you are still clueless) FACT. I stated that MOST young men that play UO like to PvP. AGAIN, I did not say ALL. Like I have said before, I PvP. I know who my enemies and friends are.
If you don't believe me then go to Fel and do a survey on the age and sex of the people there. Then you will see for yourself. It would be a much better use of your time then sitting here fighting about something you apparently know nothing about.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Viper... I think you ought to sit this one out. And by "this one" I mean "life."
Rather uncalled for. Think you need to take a break yourself if you get all riled up over nothing.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

You said "when I read his statement out loud it sounded like someone from the Deep South had said it" Is that not sir, generalizing southerners?
You also stated that ONE person represented the entire Stratics Community by being in your opinion, dim-witted. If you want to claim you have the moral high ground for your generosity in not judging or "boxing" people then you have a long ways to go.
When did I state that I was against stereotyping people? Stereotypes are there for a reason.

I just pointed out your hypocrisy. Not saying I disagree with the fact that I'm an immature young male.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Then you turn around, google a word and think you are all that ? LoL ! Wake up and smell the roses little man. You don't know me or anyone else on these boards well enough to decide what kind of person I am, what I stand for and what I believe.

I made a comment based on (Google this and get the definition if you are still clueless) FACT. I stated that MOST young men that play UO like to PvP. AGAIN, I did not say ALL. Like I have said before, I PvP. I know who my enemies and friends are.
If you don't believe me then go to Fel and do a survey on the age and sex of the people there. Then you will see for yourself. It would be a much better use of your time then sitting here fighting about something you apparently know nothing about.
I now know you well enough to tell you to go outside and get a life, goddamn.

I

Invertigo

y j00 hash da way we 733ti§t speek¿ dun c meh tlkn shyt bout how u typ nub

L

Laf

dis actually makes lot of sense if u thnk bout it.
the "TRAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMIESSS" who enjoy pvm. [doing a quest for 45mins, recalling all over hells half, looking for random npcs, and taming 35 cu's before they keep one, OBVIOUSLY have the patience to sit there for longer periods of time, to accomplish something that could have taken a tenth as long.

the "trams" who enjoy pvm [doin a quest 4 45mins recallin allover helshalf lookin 4 random npcs+tamin 50dogs be4 keepin1 obv, have the patience2 sit4 longer, accomplishin sums that coulda taken 10th as long..

where as the "PvPers" [or better suited for the prissy "the Player Vs Players".
prefer to spend 0-10mins max 2 accomplish their goal. [kill the other player]

so i dunno.. i guess a simple answer would b dont read the pvp forums?
stay in the tamin forum?
grab a drink? dont stand so close to the edge?

Raelly thuogh I hvae laenerd taht wrods dnot raelly hvae to be splleed prpoelry in odrer to be raed prorpely, th3y cvn actv4lly be ch4ng3d up qu!+3 4 b!+, 4nd s+!|_|_ r34d f41rl7 ea5illy.. 1f y0u 4r3 r34ll1/ h@v1/\/G +h@+ /V\u<h +r0U3Le rE4D|/Vg
50/V\3+h|/\/G 5<> 5!|V|Pl_3, tahn i tihnk you shuold etiehr go bcak to scoohl or jsut gvie up on raednig enitlery.

But you know.. Your not alone.
I was watching this show.. are you smarter than a 5th Grader?
And by golly gee.. To keep it short. I laughed. A LOT!

L

Laf

Well done. Agreed 200%,

Alezi

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
dis actually makes lot of sense if u thnk bout it.
the "TRAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMIESSS" who enjoy pvm. [doing a quest for 45mins, recalling all over hells half, looking for random npcs, and taming 35 cu's before they keep one, OBVIOUSLY have the patience to sit there for longer periods of time, to accomplish something that could have taken a tenth as long.

the "trams" who enjoy pvm [doin a quest 4 45mins recallin allover helshalf lookin 4 random npcs+tamin 50dogs be4 keepin1 obv, have the patience2 sit4 longer, accomplishin sums that coulda taken 10th as long..

where as the "PvPers" [or better suited for the prissy "the Player Vs Players".
prefer to spend 0-10mins max 2 accomplish their goal. [kill the other player]

so i dunno.. i guess a simple answer would b dont read the pvp forums?
stay in the tamin forum?
grab a drink? dont stand so close to the edge?

Raelly thuogh I hvae laenerd taht wrods dnot raelly hvae to be splleed prpoelry in odrer to be raed prorpely, th3y cvn actv4lly be ch4ng3d up qu!+3 4 b!+, 4nd s+!|_|_ r34d f41rl7 ea5illy.. 1f y0u 4r3 r34ll1/ h@v1/\/G +h@+ /V\u<h +r0U3Le rE4D|/Vg
50/V\3+h|/\/G 5<> 5!|V|Pl_3, tahn i tihnk you shuold etiehr go bcak to scoohl or jsut gvie up on raednig enitlery.

But you know.. Your not alone.
I was watching this show.. are you smarter than a 5th Grader?
And by golly gee.. To keep it short. I laughed. A LOT!
0-10mins? :p tell that to some 4 hour harrower fights we've had.

L

Laf

0-10mins? :p tell that to some 4 hour harrower fights we've had.
0-10 mins [kill the other player]
not 0-10mins [harrower]

VERY DOUBTFUL - harrower [single player]

say min 5 player. harrower [x-50mins] not far off.. if your properly equipped/worked/lead etc..

M

mr.blackmage

I remember the first couple years of AoS, from skull placement to harrower drop, something like 11 minutes? less? It was funny to place and finish a harrower before anyone could even raid.

L

Laf

yea pre harries were awesome, the tents were the toughest part of it all..

R

Robthemilt

I love this thread.

I actually find it harder to type lyk diz dan it is to type like this. Hell i've made fun of my step sister for trying to type like a moron, but accidentally using grammar probably more perfect than i'm doing now. Theres something going on in their 15 year old brains that says its cool.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The same could be said for forums. Case in point, re-read your post, thank you.

M

Mairut

Since this is the rant forum, I'm sure I can be excused for jumping your case. Most people started out talking like that online as a form of l33tsp3ak!!1! (or elite speak) by hackers. It has been around for a while. Hey! maybe you should google the history of l33tspeak! After that point, it was carried over to talking in games and on forums, chat rooms, emails and anything else in which words are not written but typed.
Young people, and others who weren't all that "tech savvy"(or those that weren't hackers) began using kewl d00d it for texting and other things when it became known what it was. It has morphed into something else entirely (for those of us who weren't l33t enough to use l33tspeak, we just cut out some vowels and used a few numbers...similar to l33t) for texting. The reason? It takes up less space. When you're trying to send a text message to someone and you only have 165 characters in which to do it, and it costs you .10c for texting and .50c for a phone call per minute, then it makes sense to come up ways to shorten the words you are trying to use in a text. I'm sure you agree that the word from takes up more space than its counterpart 4m, or today=2day...that=dat. The two forms of typing have since mostly morphed into a single entity (or had a baby) and what you see now is mostly a combination of the two.
I do agree that the use of the letter z is a bit annoying, but so is your rant.
It doesn't have anything whatsoever to do with being in the "hood", or coming from the "hood" or ebonics. I think I can understand how someone who is more "mature" may find this kewl d00d l33tsp3ak3 wit shrtnd wrds annoying and impossible to read, but you might as well get used to it because it hasn't gone anywhere in the last 15 or more years since it started and I doubt it will go anywhere in the next 150.
You could at the very least learn to read it so that when you sneak a peak at your children's text messages, you can actually read them.

Now, my theory as to why this l33tspeak used in fel more than in tram? As quit a few people in this forum keep insisting on...they are probably all hackers to begin with...JK!!
The real reason is that its quicker to type like that if you're used to it (referring to sms typing), and as I stated above, the form of LEETSPEAK is a really cool way to talk, thus showing how l33t you are. It is commonly used by gamers. In a game like UO you are going to run into the hardcore-gamers (most of which do play in fel)that use both. And I'm going to point out (again) that the txt language and l33t have almost completely morphed into a single entity and this commonly used as a way of typing something by l33t gamers and "young people".
I'd wager a guess that the people who do talk like that in forums are younger than 20, because most of us who started it (l33t or sms) or used it just after its inception, rarely use it anymore...in other words, we've grown out of that stage in our lives.

Btw...you're racist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A787917
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_language
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_slang