• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Blacksmithing] A Little Guidance. . .

L

Lunaticus

Okay, so I'm really not that knowledgeable regarding runics and what can/should be made or what mods are most desirable. So I have this little kryss that I made with some sort of runic hammer (copper maybe?), and I was just wondering if it's worth keeping. So on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being awesome (yeah right!) and 1 being "why haven't you smelted that piece of crap yet?" how does this rate?

F

FishinFool

Well, it's not total crap.

I'd smelt it. You should really make weapons in regular iron and enhance later. Armor is a little different, I think most people just go straight valorite on those.

L

Lunaticus

Thank you for your help! So, it's as I suspected, not great, but not totally worthless either. Could you please elaborate on using iron as opposed to a different ore? I thought you ran a pretty big chance of breaking an item when you try to enhance. Although, I guess it really doesn't matter; other than gold adding a tiny amount of luck, the other ores really don't do much for a weapon. . . Hmmmm. . . Did I just answer my own question? :loser:

F

FishinFool

Yes, you pretty much nailed it.

Outside of tweaking the damage type of a weapon there isn't much use to enhancing them. And, since you aren't increasing modifiers your success rate will actually be pretty decent. Gold, of course, is a different story.

Altering damage types on good slayers can be useful, but even on a maxxed out toon you're only looking at adding a few points of damage per swing.

One other thing, with each swing of a runic without using a property roll - you can and will get weapons with altered damage types... regardless of the metal used. So, if you do use shadow, or verite or whatever - you loose the opportunity to alter the end result.

B

Boogieman

Well, the kryss is not something I would keep - the combination of attributes is not bad but the intensities are bit low. These days I think most people look for swing speed increase, hit lower defense, hit chance increase, defense chance increase, mana and stamina leach. And of course the higher the better.
If I am in doubt about keeping a weapon I collect a bunch and go and test them. What works for one character may not work for another.

As for metal: FishinFool is right about making weapons in iron - then you can always adjust later on. You don't want to make a say - poison elemental slayer with verite ingots and get 40% poison damage on that weapon.
As for armour: Quite often I use verite for armour. You get 1% less total resist than you do with valorite and you miss the 50% durability bonus, but verite gives you +3 resist on fire where valorite gives 0.