• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A Larger, More Populated Siege?

greenwolf

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well i've already spread word to people in great lakes. althought when i tried to tell them not to be such a baby and cry every time they died they didnt like it.Plus i don't think we would want people who all they do is talk trash non stop about how much they suck.

but i think what your trying to do is like a new and improved NEW. Hey go on with what your doing we could use more people in siege just don't bring in the wrong people.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I definitely agree that UO is not all about PvP... however, what do you think is
gained by making players take so long to train up? In the past it's been kind of a
"We all had to do it... they should have to." but... if that is the main reason
players don't want to try Siege, what have we gained?

We definitely have a population problem, we have had it a long time. Maybe we
need to change some of the ways we think about things.

Cheers!

[/ QUOTE ]

If I remember correctly, the poll we listed on UHall about "Why dont you play Siege?" the main reason wasnt because of ROT. The main reasons were "I'm happy on my home shard", "I want more than one character", "I want more than one house per acct", &amp; "I dont want to start all over again".

G

Ginsu-SP

<blockquote><hr>

If I remember correctly, the poll we listed on UHall about "Why dont you play Siege?" the main reason wasnt because of ROT. The main reasons were "I'm happy on my home shard", "I want more than one character", "I want more than one house per acct", &amp; "I dont want to start all over again".

[/ QUOTE ]

Well people that are happy where they are are not moving to any shard,
regardless of the ruleset.

People that want more than one character, or don't want to take their house
down should maybe be sold on a Siege char that lives out of their bank.

The "I dont want to start all over again" crowd are the ones that we'd be trying
win over with faster training.

I think it would definitely encourage more people to try Siege... if it didn't take
them 3 months to figure out if they liked it on Siege.

Cheers!

M

Masumatek

"The "I dont want to start all over again" crowd are the ones that we'd be trying
win over with faster training."

Exactly. If they want 6 chars tough luck. That change isn't beneficial to Siege even if it brings some more people over. Speeding up training on the other hand is beneficial to the shard and brings more people over.

I

Ivanya_Zelkova

(this is so I do not bother Ginsu at work)

Here is the one reason I did not try Siege sooner: I did not want to start there alone.

I am unsure how long NEW has been around, but even a year ago I knew nothing about a guild of the sort for new SP players. Hence, I never created a character. I figured I would instantly become fertilizer.

I had tried to convince friends in the past to join me, but they always declined. One said she was too scared.. Another said they were not into PvP.

It was not until Ginsu actually explained Siege to me that I actually made the firm decision to go for it. I dropped my house on the prod shard and left behind very nice characters (not complete, but quite nice to play) and am quite glad that I did.

I am unsure how long NEW has been about, but I do know that a year ago when I had contemplated playing SP (and tried unsuccessfully to recruit a friend) I had no idea about [NEW]. I believe that if I had, I would have joined SP alot sooner.

G

An increase of population would be nice.

There has been a lot of good reasons in this thread why Siege has a low population. I have no reason to repeat them again. While UO is a plateauing game (mmorpgchart actualy shows a slight increase in subcribers the past month), there is no reason why we should not pull players from other shards into our own, or bring entirely new players.

I think that the Siege ruleset is actually something that people of many playstyles can enjoy. In my opinion, Siege is the only place where you get the "most" out of UO. We all have our own reasons why we like it here.

Remember though, that Siege was made to be the "veteran" shard... the place to go when players WANT a challenge in their gameplay. If a person is already happy on the production shards, and already in an established community, there is no reason to bring them here. However, if it's someone who is tired of where they are, tired of the "same old thing", Siege is most likely the place they should go to.

While I think some of the ideas Masumatek proposed were neat, I think they shouldn't be applied to Siege. The changes are pretty radical, and Siege is the "Veteran" shard, not the PvP shard. I would however like a slight increase on our daily skill gain caps, and maybe shorten the time between skill gains, but that's it. I like the feeling that my skills are well worked for, that there has been some thought into putting my template together.

~~~

I think the best thing to do, something that we players have within our power, is to keep promoting community on Siege. Whether it is something of small-scale RP or large-scale warfare, giving things to do for the clueless/NEW/Unguilded is a good deed for the shard. I know there are a lot of people working behind the scenes for this, and I appreciate all their efforts.

To put it simply, even if we don't have as much as a population as the production shards... all of you should make it up tenfold by giving your own guildmates, other players, friends, etc things to do. This makes everyone's enjoyment of the game more fun, and will certainly raise interest amongst the rest of the UO population.

B

BennosMorales

I totally agree with Ginsu.....Risk = Fun. I'm no Veteran to UO, I just prefer the community, the interaction, the "Risk" of being Pk'd while farming gold, which prodo shards left void. For me it adds that excitement of playing Siege. Events are very fun! I'm solely a Treasure Hunter, but I do enjoy getting out and going to events and risking my gear. I get to know you, and likewise you get to know me.

The gains will come, I don't feel like burning myself out with overtraining and crap, I'm not rich so I can't go with 4 accounts cuz I get bored and want a change.

W

wavace

Just curious , was anyone here when they did away with RoT on Siege for that brief period?? Maybe there needs to be another short period just like that. The day that happened and the server came up there were noobs EVERYWHERE, and thats not an exaggeration, there were so many you were tripping over them. If we maybe did away with RoT for a week and advertised the week it was gonna happen way ahead of time we may get a surge in the population.

W

wavace

What ever happened to the events WAKA was doing, it seemed like a good idea but it hasnt happened in so long

M

Masumatek

How is getting rid of 7ae gifts and one item insurance radical? How is increasing experience gains so you don't have to spend monthssssssssssssss training radical? It's what needs to be done to ensure the survival of Siege.

Y

Yasou Wakayama

The GM of WAKA had some abdoniminal ailments that almost killed him ... pretty much took the wind out of his sails in Real Life and in Game ...

I

imported_SavageSP

I dont think they should do away with ROT for any period of time, maybe tweak it a tad, but its not that bad, Ive been here 3 months almost to the day and have about a month or less to finish Halex(would be less if i hadnt changed skillsets). Plus for any skill using resources, ROT is a godsend compared to GGS

I believe the reg shards just need to be educated about Siege, there are way too many false Rumors about how Siege and ROT are, and that kept me from even considering SP until I looked into it myself and found it wasnt anything like it was portrayed.

M

Masumatek

No thanks. That's only thinking short term. When it happened before it was cheating. We need actual changes to rot and skill gaining to allow for quick training.

U

Uther Mortigast

Wow, it took a long time to read this whole thread! And even so, I'm not convinced that additional steps need to be taken to attract new players to Siege Perilous.

Argument: The developers won't listen to Siege Perilous concerns because its population is only 3% of the Ultima Online's player base.* -- Considering the number of shards available, 3% isn't very low. In fact, if there were more than a few shards with a population greater than twice ours, there would have to be some shards with less. If you say that 3% is a small voice compared to the other 97% (wait, are we counting Mugen?), then yes, you are correct. How big of a voice do you think we need to be heard? 10%? That doesn't sound very big. 25%? I'll tell you, if a full quarter of the people who play Ultima Online come to play on this one shard, I'm out of here. However, such a mass migration doesn't seem very likely, regardless of incentives. So, we're stuck with our little voice.

Argument: People are too scared of/misinformed about our shard. -- Then they are either deterred too easily, or not interested enough to find out the truth for theirselves. There are people who aren't put off by the idea of a tougher shard, and are intrigued by Siege Perilous' ruleset. Those people will come on their own, and then find that there are many here just like them. Personally, I'd rather have that kind of neighbor than one who was lured here.

Argument: A lot of people have left Siege Perilous. -- Yep. There are many new faces, as well - even before any implementation of a new Siege Needs Additional Players (SNAP) program. Siege is dying? Sure it is! It's regrowing, too, all on its own. Circle of life and yada yada yada. I think of Hedly Lamarr when he said, "Instead of leaving, they're staying in droves!"

I thought there were many interesting ideas in this thread, and some changes I'd even like to see (bye bye soulstones, see ya later arties/gifts), but I don't think they're necessary to bring new people here. Afterall, we all made it, didn't we?

*I'd be interested in seeing what the numbers are for each shard. Anyone know where to find that, or where this 3% came from?

G

Ginsu-SP

I've never seen any official numbers regarding subscriptions myself.

The 3% number was thrown up to us by Wilki I think... as the basis for our
concerns to be considered secondary to other shards.

The problem is... if we are 3%... 97% all have the same ruleset, and the same
problems. You can't really compare Siege one to one with each production shard.
As far as programming goes.... we are one group... and then production shards
combine to make one large group.

So yes... we are a definite minority... but they created Siege! We bought into
it! We should be able to expect the same level of customer support as other
shards. Other games that EA is in competition with provide a variety of servers
as a matter of course... and maintain them.

They need to stop taking polls and assign somebody to get Siege right. It's not
about what the majority thinks will fix the latest problem... it's about assigning
someone brilliant to come up with a coherant plan for a risk = fun shard, and
putting it into effect.

Does anyone think Richard Garriott sat around taking polls and just serving up
whatever happened to make gamers happy one week to the next? No.. he came
up with a brilliant game that all worked beautifully together.... and then said
"come play my game". Then other people started pouring the feature of the week
on top of it till we now have this unrecognizable mess.

Stop with the polls and just figure it out EA! Stop depending on volunteers to do
what you're supposed to be pros at.

Cheers!

G

Aye Uther I agree too, to some degree till EA decides it's customers irregardless of their small % of their income DO matter, it is all like spitting into the wind. EA has to care ..no matter how much we care it won't matter till THEY care a lot more and improve greatly their attitude and customer service.

To be told meh you are irrelevant just 3% is not good customer service. Yet my best friend on Chesapeake quit due to doubts about EA's implementation of PB, and in other queries was literally told by an EA rep on UO Hall, that her template was ..a minority soooooooooooo her chr. and template were irrelevant not worth their time to fix. *not good customer service* She closed 4 active accts. that were on Chesapeake since 1998, then and there, just last week.

Any job I had that needed it's income off customers we were always told and trained that even if 1% of our customer base is unhappy it was our job to see to it that their voice and issues were addressed, in that even if some how we could not help them, we tried to and if that failed we even offered them options or assistance with our competitors..to try to make them happy even 1%. Why cuz then they see you care, and will keep on coming to you for your services feeling even that they matter to ya, even when they were a small fraction of your gross income or tiny % of the customer base, any % lost, we were always told is not good for business. Be nice if EA thought like that but we know, they apparently do not !

Till then we can try to make our shard the best we can, for those here or those wishing to come here, yet in the end that job is supposed to be their job to do..that is what they get paid to do..we do not...we PAY THEM till they no longer suit our needs or hopes or wishes. Even if one is a tiny minority of the income, they should NEVER tell you/us we are not important enough for their time or attenton.

My best friend on Ches. left, after just being told on UOHall last week by an EA voice, that her template was........irrelevant not worth their time..kinda same like we got told we just 3% not worth their effort or time ??? That isnt the most brilliant tactic, to keep your customers' income, paying your salary. hrm

H

HalfDead

It's funny that you of all people should be complaining about how low the population is. It's people like you and your guild that are the main reasons siege is dead. You gals run around here with all your godly items and whatnot, and each of you prolly have 20 godly weapons each. knowing damn well you will never even use some of the weapons/items, and instead of selling them and allowing them into circulation, your rather hoard all your items to allow you an uneven playing field.

Don't insult the human race with your petty gold donations, if you want people to play here then try help working on making the playing field even, rather than being the biggest problem why it's uneven. people don't mind so much as starting out broke, but people want to be able to COMPETE.

Now smoke that in your pipe for a few ticks and holla back.

G

<blockquote><hr>

It's people like you and your guild that are the main reasons siege is dead.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't really have a guild... and even if any of my guildies where on... I don't think i'd hunt with them, I generally pvp alone...
<blockquote><hr>

You gals run around here with all your godly items and whatnot

[/ QUOTE ]
yes... those FC 1 cleavers can be a kicker... oh and 1/2's and 0/3's...
What do I bless though?
Right now I have my FC 1 cleaver (no really good mods in particular) blessed...
<blockquote><hr>

your rather hoard all your items to allow you an uneven playing field.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm a merchant... I sell everything I don't need/use

Now perhaps you where just RTLFC... but I highly doubt it since this thread was brought back up... and you targeted me for my gold donation idea...
If you don't like it then don't post, it was just an idea... and yes I feel people don't play UO that much anymore... or if they do they are all in Luna since I rarely see anyone out anymore...

I don't think it's people like me ruining this game anymore then people like you... EA is the one really bringing the game down, but perhaps we could do something about it?

I atleast had a suggestion/idea...

H

HalfDead

Then perhaps I have you confused with someone else. I'm not good with names.. *shrugs*

G

Perhaps it is a misunderstanding, and I myself am not that great with names...

H

HalfDead

Ok I finally figured it out. I had you confused with Gonthrax, my bad.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Now smoke that in your pipe for a few ticks and holla back.

[/ QUOTE ]

----------------------------------------------------

few ticks and a holla back ???????? *giggles*

Where ye from ?

G

<blockquote><hr>

Just curious , was anyone here when they did away with RoT on Siege for that brief period?? Maybe there needs to be another short period just like that. The day that happened and the server came up there were noobs EVERYWHERE, and thats not an exaggeration, there were so many you were tripping over them. If we maybe did away with RoT for a week and advertised the week it was gonna happen way ahead of time we may get a surge in the population.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I remember when they took away RoT. I also remember 6 of my neighbors in Yew that left Seige because of it. They never came back. We don't need to revisit that.

I am reading here that many of you think that our population is at an all time low. Well, I remember the months after DAoC was introduced (has it been 5 years?). I went days and days without seeing another soul on Siege. It was a very empty world for nearly a year. We are much more populated now than we were then.

So I want to thank all you "newbies" for coming to Siege since then. You have greatly enhanced our community.