• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A Full Moon (posted for Malac)

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not sure what that thing is, but it darn sure ain’t human. I’ll admit that I followed her into the woods, and did not turn away as she stripped naked and stepped into the small pond. The moonlight glistened on her bare skin, and for just a moment, I forgot about my wife. I could not turn away, and in truth, did not want to. She is a fit one Pen.

She seemed to revel in the combination of moonlight and water. Scooping up some in her palms, she lifted it over her head and smiled as she released it to fall lazily down and over her shoulders, hugging every curve of her form. To say I was captivated would be an understatement. She and I have been getting along since we arrived in Cove, but I had till now seen her as only another soldier I worked with.

She did not look to be in any hurry to finish her bath, and a few times she leaned her head back, turning her eyes towards the sky as though searching for some heaven bound lover. As the moon reached its high point, the light from the fullness of it bathed the entire clearing around the pond in shimmering light. Leaning her head back again, I watched as her lips parted and a low groan issued forth.

Well it started as a low moan, but soon it changed timber and came across more as a growl, or maybe a howl. Yeah, it was a howl alright. Primal and bloody thirsty. The sound was not human at all, it was more like a…

I watched her change. It looked to me as though the transformation brought with it unimaginable pain. Her face contorted, eyes bulging, her moth slathering. And the howl was bone chilling. She did not stay in the water long, but leaped out onto the shore looking around wildly. I was afraid she might see me there, but if she did, she decided to leave me be. Instead she out of the woods to the road, and continued on towards the orc camp.

I’ve seen many horrors in my time, and this one was odd, but did not have the same effect on me that that demon did. As I chased down the road behind her I drew my sword in case she doubled back. But she kept running, and the distance between us grew rapidly.

By the time I caught up with her, the damage had been done. The camp of orc laid decimated. She did not just kill them, she ripped them to shreds. I am assuming she ate some parts of them seeing that there were huge chunks of arms and legs missing. The thought of consuming such vile creatures as orcs sickened me. It was clear that whatever else she was, Pen was no normal woman.

I moved with care around each corner, if she were still here she might decide that I was her next snack. I don’t mean to brag, but I’m pretty sure I taste better than orc. I’m not sure how much time I spent in that camp searching, but towards the east, the faint rays of sunlight were beginning to snake their way across the land. I was about ready to leave, when I heard someone call my name.

Rounding a small stockade, I came upon her sitting naked on the ground. Her body was covered in blood spatter and bits of orc flesh. Looking at me she seemed detached and aloof. And oddly, did not seem the slightest bit disturbed by the carnage around her. Taking off my jacket, I wrapped it around her and helped her to her feet.

I couldn’t let her return to Cove, what might she do next time something like this happened. And worse, what might they do to her should any of them witness the transformation as I did? When we got back to where I was staying, I invited her in for a drink. The powder I slipped into her cup was the same thing I used to give to Aedon on fitful nights. And just as it did back then, it soon rendered the drinker fully unconscious.

Wrapping her in a blanket, I took her down to the harbor and stowed her in the hold of that ship the pirate keeps close at hand. Then I went back to the pond, and retrieving her hideous pink armor, smeared some blood on it, and left it at one of the houses in Cove. Gathering my goods, and some provisions, I headed back to the ship, and hid myself away in the same corner I put her.

With luck, we will be far from this port before they find what I left behind. I’m hoping they figured her ta be dead, and with my absence, it is pretty sure I will be the one blamed. But in the meantime, she can rest and I can figure out what the next step I take should be.

With fair winds, and an understanding captain, we should be alright.

Malac

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We spent the first hours aboard in relative silence. The rocking of the ship combined with the effect of the powder kept Pen sedated and quiet. I was glad for that seeing that I had not come up with the words as of yet to explain my actions to her. I could not close my eyes for long to rest. The nagging thought that she might awaken and rip out my heart as I slept put all thought of nodding off out of my mind. I had pulled a book from my pack to read, and was so engrossed in that I failed to hear the footsteps coming down the stairs into the hold.

The first notice I took of the two were the words “Avast there ya stowaway dogs!” screamed so loudly that Pen bolted upright. The second thing I noticed was the two cutlasses pointing at us. As the male of the crew held us there, the female poked her head above deck and yelled for the Captain. As Penelope struggled to pull the blanket up around her, the sound of heavy boots on wooden planks and down the short flight of stairs echoed through the hold.

I had seen this pirate captain a few times in Cove. I was not privy to the dealings he had with the Cain family. That was above my pay grade and at the time beyond my interest. But now, I could see him clearer than before, and the sight of him was imposing. A tall man, with a dark brooding nature about him. Over one eye he wore a patch, and in spite of my precarious position, I could not help but ask him out loud.

“Hey Mate, ain’t that patch a bit of a pirate giveaway?”

To my surprise, he stopped in his track and laughed. A loud booming laughter that seemed to fill every corner of the room with the sound of large flapping wings. His laughter halted, and he looked and me an Penelope asking:

“Couldn’t you two find a room at the inn for this?”

This did not sit well with Pen and she leaped up in anger. But as she went at him, the blanket went for the floor leaving the poor lass standing butt naked in front of us all. Quickly retrieving the blanket, I offered it up to her. She didn’t thank me, but snatched it from my hand, drawing it quickly around her. To this the pirate once again laughed. Then an odd knowing look came across his face, as he looked Penelope up and down as though he could see something about her that neither of us had spoken to. Turning towards the entrance, he ordered his crew to go above deck, and leave him there to chat. Though the two of them grumbled in protestation, they followed the orders given and headed up top. As they walked up the steps the Captain called out:

“Isabella, Weigh anchor and set sail for Bucs Den.”

Nodding, the two crew members disappeared above deck, and the hatch slammed shut.

(Malac)

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
For Penelope:

There are moments in one’s life that require more explanation than words can provide, an event so ridiculous or spectacular it must simply be experienced firsthand. I have little understanding of how events lead me, us, to this moment and place other than to say it is good to have been present and not a witness.

I have been long with my current affliction. Many years I wandered alone knowing the sort of creature, monster, I am. Only a few are aware or even care. There has been great pains made to keep my secret that joining a group of, what some would call warriors, seemed more an act of idiocy.

Perhaps it was the desperation to belong to something important that made me answer the call. Whatever it was, I served alongside Arkon and Malac and came to think of them as part of my pack. Not many others I would consider such, but those two most assuredly were.

Captain Arkon housed me safely after finding me in the forest. I am far too often found in a forest. I begin to believe I need a different forest! He saw my dark form, and my human form. Neither altered his opinion of me.

Malac, however, only knew me as a fellow guard for a city neither of us called home. We ran our patrols and fought orcs, even wrote up the ridiculous reports. That was our duty. Regardless of how the reports were received, or not, we did our little thing.

Until…

Once again the quiet forest gave me privacy and cover for the looming transformation. I knew it was near the time, I could feel my skin crawl. The cold water of the pond helped to ease the burning from inside out.

I always feel “eyes” watching. I discount them, most times, to the animals trying to determine what level of threat I truly am. There should have been closer heed paid to the nagging sense of being watched.

Far too late I saw who it was who watched me. The look of horror on his face cut me to my soul, yet I could not say or do anything. I sprang from the pool like a bat out of hell to my preset target, Orcs. There was no room to alter course or thinking. The blood fever had a firm grip, and to alter my gaze would likely bring consequence I was unwilling to pay.

Orcs felt my full fury. The taste of orc was foul and my hate and anger fueled the ravage need for carnage. These trips always leave me more hungry and thirsty than I began. To completely turn to the animal instinct is to lose my humanity, so I refuse to feed on anything other than “human food”. Orcs are a horrible menace, regardless of town loyalty. Dispatching as many as possible before sun up drives the speed. At times I wonder what others would think if they saw the devastation left in my wake.

I am assuming Malac found me. There is no other reason or explanation to wake up to the gentle rocking and creaking of a ship’s hold. My head felt like it was full of lead. The fog was heavy in my eyes as I tried to wake. I could feel another presence and was quiet to listen and smell for threat.

Beginning to wake I could feel the soft blanket over my skin and the warmth it offered. The salt air filled the space and the sounds of footsteps and a door creak open brought me full to attention. The shouts of ‘stowaways’ bolted me clean out of the bed where I laid.

Before I could speak out loud, captain Arkon darkened the door. His laughter lacked humor or scoffing. Always with a smart ass comment, this was no exception.

“Couldn’t you two find a room at the inn for this?”

Crouched like the animal I had been, hands at the ready, I realized all around me were looking at me. I must have still smelled of orc, until I looked down. Where the Hell are my Clothes? Mercifully Malac handed me the blanket. More angry than embarrassed I hugged the blanket.

Fine, now everyone has seen me naked. What will they do with my next big trick? I would be willing to bet they would not laugh as I hand them their hearts.

“Relax, Pene, these are not your enemy.” I had to remind myself.

The captain must have read something on Malac’s face. Without further word or explanation he turned and gave orders to haul the anchor. Turning back to us, Arkon strode in his easy manner to a post and just leaned against it. His arms were crossed in anticipation for the story he felt no need to prompt.

To be honest, I was pretty eager to hear this story also. What horrible thing had I done to require such drastic events to take place? And honestly, Where was my armor?

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The talk with the Captain went better than I expected. We set in the darkened cabin for more than an hour, his eye constantly on me as I explained my reasoning for bring Penelope aboard his ship. I have to admit I was a bit surprised by the compassion he seemed to display on the subject of the lady. It was clear to me that he knew a lot more about Pen than I did. As he and I spoke, she sat huddled in a dark corner, but always I felt her cold stare on the back of my head.

There was an odd calmness to the sound of his voice as he directed his questions in my direction. But as I answered I could feel largeness about him that belied even his muscular form. At times it was as though his presence filled the room and hovered over me like a beast ready to pounce. As I answered queries, he seemed to find some satisfaction in what he learned, and the close feeling within the room seemed to dissipate.

Once we had finished out talk, he sent us ashore, even providing me with a bag of gold to pay for our board until he returned. I’m not sure this thrilled Pen much, as I heard her and the Captain arguing just before we disembarked. We watched as the ship made her way back to the open waters, and as we stood there, Penelope gave a low guttural growl. Then glancing towards me, grabbed up a bag containing some clothing the ship hand gave her, and turned towards the Inn.

Now, I have known many skin changers in my life. Some friend, some foe. And I’ve come to sense when I am in the presence of someone that is not quite themselves. And I know that often, once a creature of that sort recovers from the event at hand, they may feel some sense of remorse at what they had done. Many nights, after a rather long battle, I would sit with Aedon and see his pain at the lives he had taken. Even when that life deserved ending. But in Penelope I say a wildness that spoke to pure rage. Did she go after orcs to keep from harming the folks of Cove, or were they simply an easy target? I suppose in time, she will either open up to me, and trust that I was only trying to safeguard her and the folks of Cove.

Time will tell.

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
Hearing Malac’s retelling of how we arrived on board Arkon’s ship made me realize how foolish I was to consider being involved with those who did not know me. I have come to an understanding of my “unique quirks” and how dangerous they can be. To have a citizen be witness rather than an ally would have been a disaster.

Standing on the shore, after a bit of objection on my part, staring in awkward silence as the ship faded on the horizon made me wish with every fiber of my being I had stayed in the shadows. I was grateful for the change of clothing, but was not happy to be told we had to stay at the Inn. What ever story needed to be spun to ensure we were not hunted had to be set in place leaving no room for doubt or question.

I could feel the lingering questions hang in the air between Malac and me. Honestly, how was I supposed to answer anything? It would be much simpler if he would just out with his questions. I am unsure if that is the sort of man he is. Maybe that is why we were abandoned on this rock!

~*~

A low guttural growl filled the air between them as they gathered their packs. Donning the attitude of “Go Away”, Penelope kept pace with Malac’s long stride. Finding their rooms she grunted before slamming the door to hide behind the premise of sleep. Flopping on the bed and slinging an arm over her face her quiet wish was to just answer all the questions he had.

“A good stiff drink at the pub will make all things better.”