• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A few tamer newbie questions

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi all,

the character I'm referring to has no taming skill. He needs a pet for roleplaying matters and for moderate fighting assistance. I prefer canine pets (Wolf types). My questions:

How much taming skill would be necessary to control those creatures? There are the following types:

Grey Wolf
  • Damage: 4 - 10 HP, 100% Physical Damage
  • Required Taming: 53.1
  • Requires 1 Control Slot
  • Average Skills: Wrestling 52.6, Tactics 52.6, Magic Resist 27.6

White Wolf
  • Damage: 4 - 10 HP, 100% Physical Damage
  • Required Taming: 65.1
  • Average Skills: Wrestling 52.6, Tactics 52.6, Magic Resist 27.6

Timber Wolf
  • Damage: 6 - 13 HP, 100% Physical Damage
  • Required Taming: 23.1
  • Average Skills: Wrestling 50.1, Tactics 40.1, Magic Resist 36.3

Dire Wolf
  • Damage: 20 - 32 HP, 100% Physical Damage
  • Required Taming: 83.1
  • Average Skills: Wrestling 70.1, Tactics 60.1, Magic Resist 66.9

Hell Hound
  • 21 - 31 HP, 20% Physical Damage, 80% Fire Damage
  • Required Taming: 85.5
  • Average Skills: Wrestling 70.1, Tactics 60.1, Magic Resist 66.3

Which of these pets would your recommend for a non-tamer?
Is it possible to use jewelry to raise the taming skill to an appropriate level, so I can control those pets?
Can, for example, a Timber Wolf be trained to the same level as a Dire Wolf, or is there a limitation based on its average skills?

Thanks in advance!
Hawkeye

N

Nenime

Now see who we got here for a visit... a pirate :D

I'm sorry to tell you this but you can't tame any of them and control just one - the Timber Wolf. If you're using +15 ring, +15 bracelet and +5 talisman, you got 35 Taming skill (it will not stack with JOAT). Then you can actually tame one (24% chance, so it will take some attempts) or, even easier, let it get transfered to you by a Tamer. Once you have it you can put off the jewelry and still control it by the maximum rate of 99%. As long as you have the minimum required taming skill (including jewelry) the pet can be transfered to you. Remember this when you get them out of the stable.

*edit: As I replied to you in the UHall thread, Timber Wolfs have canine pack instict. This means each of them will do additional damage if another pack animal is present - this will stack with every additional animal. You have five control slots - even as a non-Tamer, so you could take along (control) five Timber Wolfs at the same time which can do quite some damage if trained. As I said there, in case you have no Vet it will be difficult to keep them alive, especially when they are not yet trained. Their resistances are not that of a combat pet.

You also asked if all pets can be trained to the same level. Yes, all pets can train their 'inborn' skills up to 100 - certain pets with certain skills even higher but that's a whole 'nother thing. Your pet will also move and attack faster when trained because it's Dex will go up too.

As you are a roleplayer, umm... maybe think about becoming a Bushido Master? If you were you could handle a Lesser Hiryu which is very strong. Maybe not very role-playish as a pirate but it's an option. Won't require taming as well.

With no Taming (nor Lore) skill you can tame resp. receive: Dog, Gorilla, Jack Rabbit, Rabbit, Skittering Hopper, Bird, Cat, Chicken, Mountain Goat, Rat and Sewer Rat.
At 20 Taming/Lore (JOAT) additionally: Cow, Goat, Pig, Sheep and Eagle. (An Eagle! What do you think?)
When you put +35 Bonus Items on, additionally: Bullfrog, Hind, Timber Wolf, Boar, Desert Ostard, Forest Ostard, Giant Rat, Horse, Pack Horse, Pack Llama, Rideable Llama and (Faction) War Horse.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the elaborate and very helpful answer! I will consider this whenever our paths cross in New Haven wile I'm collecting security taxes...

Now I understand! Because of the JOAT bonus as a human, I am able to control a Timber Wolf. All animals with higher taming requirements will require the actual taming skill to control them. (I didn't actually consider taming anything by myself.)

An eagle doesn't look good, as it is only hovering above the ground. I might go with a bunch of sewer rats... Unfortunately no pack instinct there.

N

Nenime

I will consider this whenever our paths cross in New Haven wile I'm collecting security taxes...
Hrhr :D Good! I will look out for any eye-patched, rat-followed, rum-drinking exciseman.

Now I understand! Because of the JOAT bonus as a human, I am able to control a Timber Wolf. All animals with higher taming requirements will require the actual taming skill to control them. (I didn't actually consider taming anything by myself.)
*sighs* Unfortunately, it's not that easy. We still discuss that formula. Here are two links where you can easily calculate the control chance by yourself. Pretty accurate.

http://noxins.net/flash/misc/controlcalc-alt.swf

http://www.strangeworld.com/uo/prc/tools/tamingcalc.php

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I understand you listed wolf types.

Does that put the Forest Ostard out of the Picture?

They do not require any taming/lore skill to own or control.

With out looking I would think (as in remember) they exceed the Timber Wolf, in stats, resists and skills.

There is also the Desert Ostard Variant.

They have Pack Instincts and I believe they are on the same pact instinct as the Frenzied Ostard.

Are you willing to invest any skill points to Lore and / or Taming?

N

Nenime

I checked the UHall thread again and Sebrina made a very good point with suggesting Necromancy. (Here post is here.)

Let me quote from Stratic's Necromancer guide:

Spell: Summon Familiar (Mana 17, Skill 30, Delay 4)
Allows the Caster to summon a Familiar from the selected list. A Familiar will follow and fight with its owner, in addition to granting unique bonuses to the Caster, dependent on the type of Familiar summoned. You cannot give a familiar orders like you can a pet. If the owner of a familiar goes invisible, so will the familiar.

Horde Minion
Requires 30 Necromancy and 30 Spirit Speak.
Abilities: Pack animal, picks up stuff, decent combat assistant.

Shadow Wisp
Requires 50 Necromancy and 50 Spirit Speak.
Abilities: negative energy flare; periodically heals the mana of those friendly to the caster (and the caster) IF they have negative karma. The more negative the karma, the more mana you get back.

Dark Wolf
Requires 60 Necromancy and 60 Spirit Speak.
Abilities: +1 stamina every 2 seconds. Wolf mastery; allows you to tame any wolf as if it were a 0 difficulty tameable.

Death Adder
Requires 80 Necromancy and 80 Spirit Speak.
Abilities: Snake charming; you can command any snake to attack a target to which you can do negative acts. You don't get credit for the kill, however. Commanded snakes may continue to attack you.

Vampire Bat
Requires 100 Necromancy and 100 Sprit Speak.
Abilities: all melee damage it does will heal it's master (You!) for an equal amount.

S

Sarphus

You could get an imprisoned dog or a dark wolf (event wolf that may come back with the next publish)

Dark wolves have 0 in every resist, but 200+ hp. They're pretty cool.

Aside from those 2, hell hounds are best pet in overall power, but they are really ugly in KR.

Dire wolves are second strongest and still look cool in KR.

Hinotori

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tamed five of the dark wolves because I thought "OH COOL!" when I saw the hits on them. Blah. Either they accidently glitched them or they purposefully did it. They all lost their HP down to well under 100. Friend of mine also tamed them and it did the same to him. We both still have one of the critters as a curiosity item.