• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Archery] A decent bow has...

C

Caelas

I have a pally archer template, pretty standard stuff. I'm looking for a decent, all around good bow to go out and just hunt with, whether it be for fun, profit, skins...whatever.

I know that mana leech is a good stat, but what other stats would you all suggest? HCI, Life leech, SSI, etc?

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For PvM, I would go with: SSI, Mana Leech, DI, and Stamina Leech. Those are the most important to me, as I usually have maxed HCI already. I'm personally not all that big on hit spells on PvM bows, cause it seems like the mob then targets me specifically (when in a group say against a peerless). JMO.

C

Caelas

How would I go about getting a bow like that? I play one one of the lesser populated shards, and haven't found anything in Luna. I assume finding a semi good bow on a monster and having it enhanced?

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I would be hard pressed to use a bow with less than 30 ssi, 40 di. If you use a shortbow or repeater, you can get away with less ssi.

For PvM, shortbows are a nice option due to their lightning arrow special. I found a fun magic shortbow with 40 ssi, 40 di, 40 hl, 10 hci for around 3 mil. My favorite PvM bow is a repeater with 35 ssi 40 di, 48 hl, 38 hsl, fc1.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
How would I go about getting a bow like that? I play one one of the lesser populated shards, and haven't found anything in Luna. I assume finding a semi good bow on a monster and having it enhanced?

I assume finding a semi good bow on a monster and having it enhanced?

Thats what I do ..

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
1. SSI 30+
2. HML (must have)
3. HSL
4. HLD
5. HLA
This is the bow I would go for! the last 2 (4,5) could also be replaced by velocity and /or hit spell or any combo it really depend a lot on suit you have if you are running with hld in your suit maybe you dont need it on the bow or if you have devine fury then hsl may not be needed as much!

Sir Morder

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If it's not balanced, it's poop. But then again, if you don't think balanced is nice you prolly are running resist in your template too.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You only need one balanced bow in your arsenal (a heavy, repeater or composite bow) since switching out is so quick, you can easily switch bows to chug while using moving shot to keep fighting while you run/heal.

Anyhow, the best bows out there have swing speed increase (at least 30).

ALL other attributes are optional, depending on your template.
My favorite bows are a composite with SSI/HCI/balanced/HL/DI, a crossbow with SSI/HLD/balanced/velocity/DI and a heavy crossbow with HMA/HML/HSL/SSI/DI

As you can see, the last bow has nothing in common with the first two except for the SSI. Each bow has its purpose in life, and each bow serves it well.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You only need one balanced bow in your arsenal (a heavy, repeater or composite bow) since switching out is so quick, you can easily switch bows to chug while using moving shot to keep fighting while you run/heal.
The bold information is a pretty nice and important point. Balanced bows are nice but NOT needed. It is like a crutch if you expect continuously to use a bow and have pots as your sole healing method.

The chances are slim anyways that one is using ONLY one bow. Chances are you are probably switching out anyhow, so...yeah, point made. No good PvP'er uses only ONE bow.

To ONLY say this or that is NEEDED is pretty much a nice generalization. Have to agree with Farsight. A bow should be based on your template, suit needs and what your killing purpose is. Not on ONE sole modification...like balanced. Balanced is overrated and...has it's place like everything else. Most bows have a usage.

T

Tinsil

In my experience, and believe me I have a lot of it. Played in some of the best PVP guilds in the game as archer and mage both.

Balanced is more important on say an Xbow than it is on a Moving Shot bow. If you're running them down chances are you aren't getting hit and the balanced isn't really needed. On an Xbow you got to stop to take the shots and it's a better wep to have Balanced on imo.

For PVM... I'd try to get a comp/xbow with Max SSI, 35+ DI, and High HML.. Anything else is bonus and depends upon your suit (HLD/HCI, etc).

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In my experience, and believe me I have a lot of it. Played in some of the best PVP guilds in the game as archer and mage both.

Balanced is more important on say an Xbow than it is on a Moving Shot bow. If you're running them down chances are you aren't getting hit and the balanced isn't really needed. On an Xbow you got to stop to take the shots and it's a better wep to have Balanced on imo.

For PVM... I'd try to get a comp/xbow with Max SSI, 35+ DI, and High HML.. Anything else is bonus and depends upon your suit (HLD/HCI, etc).
With the bold, what point are you trying to make?

Moving shot you can do with heavy's, composites, and repeaters. It is like I said. Relying on a crossbow for the AI and switching to moving shot bows. This is just one play style.

As an archer you should ALWAYS be able to setup your first shot. This can dictate many different game play styles as well as types of bows.

Not to crack down, but the balanced is personal preference. I prefer unique builds coupled with distinct moves. Not only does it not create a cookie cutter template, it keeps the opposition off balance.

Better than the flavor of the week, whose moves eventually get dumbed down because of too many complaints. I have kept the majority of my templates the whole time I've played UO.

While some people like 2 hit kills on a constant basis, I find it to get old and boring after a while. That is just a cheap kill...not PvP. A descent bow can have balanced. Is it required...depends on your playing style. Is it a MUST have for everyone? Long story short...no.

I myself use spell channeling bows. Is it required for me? No not really. It just fits into my template like balanced does for yours.

T

Tinsil

I'm not sure how you didn't get the point I was making. Did you read my post?

*confused*

S

Stupid Miner

with magical shortbows you'd want a hit spell (not harm) on there too, because it has an incredible speed, and the damage is pretty low, so it'd provide a significant damage boost.

G

Gellor

Thought I'd ask a couple questions here.

Obviously, PvPers need a heavy xbow for dismounts... what other TYPES of bows are worth looking at? Seems like AI is a popular special on bows.

On PvMers, what are "the" bows of choice? Magical short?

Is Connor's list a PvM list? Or does that go with PvP also?

I need to make a couple bows for my guys and want to make sure I don't throw away some "sellable" bows ;)

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
as for bows of choice I like bows and xbows those are my two favs although a good yumi is also good and with imbuing now much easier to come by.. composite also are good heavy is great for pvp and has uses in pvm
some people like the fast bows like magical short but I have found against higher end critters that will switch targets to you you are better off with a slower heavier hitter in pvm

G

Gellor

So aside from SSI, how would I fill in the statement: "A good PvP bow has":

C

Connor_Graham

lol, you concede that balanced is needed for PvP eh?!
Of course. Any serious PvP'r is going to want Balanced as one of the properties. Any edge you can have over your opponent can mean the difference between winning and losing. I've only said in the past that it's not necessary for PvM. Monsters don't chase after you at mounted speed. Any monster can be outrun, and they don't look for you when you drop your bow and drink an invis pot. :D

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Of course. Any serious PvP'r is going to want Balanced as one of the properties. Any edge you can have over your opponent can mean the difference between winning and losing. I've only said in the past that it's not necessary for PvM. Monsters don't chase after you at mounted speed. Any monster can be outrun, and they don't look for you when you drop your bow and drink an invis pot. :D
Interesting. Well, nice points but with weapon macro swap outs, I am only using one bow at a time anyways...hence making balanced not needed for me. It is nice on a situational-type basis. For those who use one bow, more power to them I suppose.