• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A Dark Tale

• Thread starter I Need Coffee
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

I Need Coffee

It was suggested I post this here, so here goes. If it's wrong, please someone advise me as to where.

<center>A Dark Tale</center>

As the sun slowly faded on the horizon and twilight gave way to darkness, I stood near a cliff over looking the water, reflecting on the deeds of my past. Just at the edge of my sight, still some distance away stood a liche, also staring out at the vastness. As my thoughts strayed to it, I wondered what that vile creature could be thinking of. I knew as soon as it saw me, a battle would soon follow.

As I watched, several thoughts assailed me; it was once as I am, living, breathing and feeling. Could it also be thinking of his past? Yes… I soon began to think of “it” as he.

A strange feeling came over me then, as if he knew the pain and loneliness I was experiencing. I know I could feel his; he wore it like armor, protecting him. As I stood watching, he turned and slowly walked towards me. I drew my sword, poised to defend myself.

At that moment a thought struck me like a physical blow. “Put away your sword fool... today’s not YOUR day to die.” Then, in a whisper, as if speaking only to himself; “I was once you.” I could see the more he dwelled on these thoughts the more enraged he became. “You will become as I am.” His final words were filled with such rage and hate and all of it directed at me. “We are as one!” With that, he turned and walked away. As he faded from view, I was left with a chill that extended to the marrow of my bones, with his evil laughter and final words echoing in my ears.

As days turned to weeks, weeks faded to months, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t forget his departing words. Was I destined to wander the world in death, as I am in life, searching for… for what? Fulfillment? A sense of purpose?

Thinking back to my youth, I was going to be a great warrior, righting all the wrongs, a champion of the virtues. With a bitter laugh I thought, “the virtues”, was Lord Blackthorn correct? “Let anarchy rule.” It seemed no matter where I went, all those around, were only worried about themselves. It was as if they served their own purpose… why shouldn’t I? Lord Blackthorn was correct… let anarchy rule.

My search for answers led me to some of the shrines. First of Valor: Was I lacking courage… or was there something more… the courage to look within ones self, see a darkness growing and cleanse it. Then to Compassion… has the life I chose hardened not only my body but my soul as well? Finally, Sacrifice, what more can I give… with bitterness in my heart I thought… I’ve given everything!

As night fell, I readied my bedroll, hoping for a peaceful nights rest. That wasn’t to be.

As I woke, there before me was a warrior clad in blue armor, seated atop a snow white charger. It seemed as if a holy light radiated about them. Softly she said, “You have been judged and been found wanting.” With her sword beginning to glow a blood red hue she said, “Courage, you’re not lacking… for you have seen the darkness within, yet choose to allow it to grow.” With a single tear slowly running down her cheek she said, “Yes, you have given all of yourself, although for selfish reasons.” Then, as if she was looking directly into my heart, “It’s not only your soul that’s been hardened.” “Compassion is not only the act of kindness, but must come from within, Compassion must be freely given and not a self serving act!” “It’s your heart that’s been turned to stone.” With tears beginning to fall I came to realize, a bit too late… I had been warned. As she spoke, I could feel a searing pain in my chest, so intense I thought I might die.

As the sun slowly faded on the horizon and twilight gave way to darkness, I stood near a cliff over looking the water… reflecting on the sins of my dead past.

Lord Kishkuman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome to the White Stag! This is the perfect place to post tales like that. I hope to see some more in the future.

I

I Need Coffee

It was also suggested I submit this to Stratics... somewhere. Any idea as to how and where? I know I've seen player short stories on the UO site and somewhere on stratics, just have no idea how to do it.

Lord Kishkuman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sure how to submit it to stratics. You might look up the authors of some of some of the stories that are on th the stratics sight and send them a PM asking how they got their story there. Best Idea I can come up with.

I

I Need Coffee

Thank you both for the points in the right direction /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif