• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A Conversation with a Nightmare...

Min

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
"Find someone else to do it. I am not a pigeon." Seska responded angrily. Her yellow wolfish eyes flashed at me beneath her wild, black hair, and she stomped her bare foot almost petulantly.

I could have Merek simply order the creature to comply, he had after all, volunteered her services for the task during the Council proceedings. But that's not what we need just now. I had something else in mind. "You are the logical choice for this. You are immune to their glamours, hypnosis, and mind tricks. You cannot be made into a blood slave. You cannot be captured. You cannot be killed. You cannot be permanently harmed. You are as strong as they are, and faster. They do not even know what you are, or that you can feed from their very nightmares."

Her yellow eyes darkened, she might have smiled slightly at the compliment but it did not show for long. The shadows around her writhed and moved, angry black tendrils lashed out across the floor, dancing wildly in the flickering candlelight. Soft, terrible whispers emanated from that darkness. I dared not step into it. I do not fear her, for I have tread where her kind thrive, but nor am I stupid. She spat her reply, "Still. I am no courier. Find another pigeon."

Aila spoke up, "She has a point. It's just a message. Send anyone."

My eyes flashed angry for a moment. Since my recent "trip", I've found myself losing my patience quicker, and I have less tolerance for explaining myself or my thought processes. Yet another identifiable part of myself was lost, and unfortunately Rotep is certain that it is gone forever. I pinched the bridge of my nose, and calmed myself. "Have either of you ever spoken with a vampire before? Held a conversation?"

Aila shook her head. Seska remained silent, still glowering at me. Good.

I continued, "Vampires are subtle, manipulative, and extremely intelligent. They have centuries of experience with social interaction. When you converse with a vampire, you are conversing on five levels. There is the conversation that they are actually having, the conversation that is specifically being avoided, the tone applied to the overt conversation, the buried conversation that is only referred to in subtext, and finally, the other person's body language. They respect those intelligent and thoughtful enough to understand them."

I let that sink in a moment, before continuing. "This", I shook the scroll with the Council's treaty, "is the conversation that we are having. An offer of peaceful coexistence with the great Houses."

Seska nodded, already starting to get bored.

"But we have been attacked by them. Twice. You, my dear Seska, are the subtext of this conversation. A subtext with sharp teeth, fangs, and claws. A creature of shadows and nightmares. Your name is blacker than the darkest abyss, whispering with the madness of your realm lest anyone speak it lightly."

I paused, for effect, "I trust you will find a suitable and creative way to deliver this to Va'lis Razele."

Seska flashed a wolfish smile, and then was suddenly gone. The scroll was taken out of my hand, and I never saw it happen.