• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

8th Character Slot With Stygian Abyss.

M

Mr Artifact

reason i am posting this so soon after the new 7th character slot became available for those of us willing to pay is i already made my 7th characters per account and i hear there will be no quest to become a gargoyle so i would hate to have to erase a character or two just to have a gargoyle or two. so what to you say folks 8th character slot everyone and this one should come with Stygian Abyss at no extra cost.

G

8 is too many.
7 is too many.
6 is too many.
5 is what we have started with, but was probably too many.
4 might have been ok.
3 would have been ideal
2 is too few
1 is too few

IMO at least.

G

hmm ... people player their characters in different ways. A person with a box of soulstones could be content with a single character and be able to do everything while a roleplayer would rather have a stable of characters at various levels of development that they don't want to touch and still never manage to cover off all the skill combinations they want to play. It's not always about maxing out power or min-maxing the potential rewards of cycling through a list of characters.

I don't think the number of characters an account has matters for that much any more except for BOD-like timers and the sum of seasonal gift boxes raked in (which could be controlled in quantity by using a "vet reward" system to limit the number of gifts per account).

One idea would be to allow people to buy an as many extra character and storage slots as desired (perhaps limited to age of UO + age of account so that something ridiculous doesn't happen).

Anyway, I'm not feeling short of characters myself (I bought 2 7th slots but haven't actually used them to create characters yet ... too much time on stratics and not enough time playing the stable I have), I do worry about enabling exploits somehow, but overall I'm not opposed to the idea.

G

I don't know what other system uses the same type of timer as BODs, but that timer seems relatively out of date at the moment... once you get a running stash of 100-500 deeds, with the "get a new deed when you turn one in" aspect, you basically have no more need for BOD mules or the timer itself.

Just set an ideal "I want to cycle X BODs per day/week/sitting" and go to town with it.

The timer SHOULD stay though as a general thing, but the days of running mules I believe is basically finished. The need to do so is no longer there.

Dean478

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

8 is too many.
7 is too many.
6 is too many.
5 is what we have started with, but was probably too many.
4 might have been ok.
3 would have been ideal
2 is too few
1 is too few

IMO at least.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Ultima was intented to offer a personal experience. With a couple extra slots for those people that just have to be other characters. That's fine.

But 8 slots?.... do you actually have that many characters? I cannot imagine having so many. I have my warrior (now paladin after AoS), my mage and my ranger and a smith (most recent). My ranger became an elf and if they let us change into a gargoyle (I hope not), my mage will become one otherwise I might just make one.

Either way, I've never had to buy a slot. Yes people play differently, but this is Ultima. It's not like every other game. It tried to remove this sense of anonymity from online games and offer a more personal experience.

G

I have 11 (two accounts one with 6, one with 5).

Of those, 2 see regular play at the moment (main character and main crafter character (smith/miner))

2 get occasional playtime (fisherman, talior, BOD running)

1 gets semi-occasional playtime (cabin owner, vendor owner, BOD runner)

2 more run BODs, though they see less use now

The rest remain almost entirely unused except for VERY specific purposes.

So really on average, I use about 3 characters per acct mainly and the rest are off the cuff ideas that last for a short time and get shelved.

G

What does Stygian Abyss and 8th character slot have in common...................give up............ain't neither one gonna happen.

G

<blockquote><hr>

But 8 slots?.... do you actually have that many characters? I cannot imagine having so many.

[/ QUOTE ]
Main account: six lords of my "private guild" (knight, smith, sage, treasure hunter, wandering watcher and tamer)

1st alternate account: warriors (swordsman, macer, fencer, archer, healer/vet and dark-knight-hunter)

2nd alternate account: gatherers/crafters (miner, lumberjack, pearl hunter, fletcher, tailor and um ... unemployed guy)

3rd alternate account: wizards of different robes: red (fire), blue (water), green (earth), white (air), purple (energy), black (spirits)

Mind you, most alternates are woefully underdeveloped, but I do try to randomly pick one each day to do a little playing with.

( the original plan was to eventually get up to 6 alternate accounts if you see my pattern ... but I've drawn a line for now ... it's already a rather major investment of subscription fees just for a character-building whim )

I

imported_Kojak

1 is too many ... if your name starts with a "D" - hehe

Lug

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unlimited char slots would work for me. Sell them for fifty bucks a pop.

I love to build new chars and would welcome a change like this. I'd buy ten extra char slots on the first day if there was such an offer.

Dean478

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

But 8 slots?.... do you actually have that many characters? I cannot imagine having so many.

[/ QUOTE ]
Main account: six lords of my "private guild" (knight, smith, sage, treasure hunter, wandering watcher and tamer)

1st alternate account: warriors (swordsman, macer, fencer, archer, healer/vet and dark-knight-hunter)

2nd alternate account: gatherers/crafters (miner, lumberjack, pearl hunter, fletcher, tailor and um ... unemployed guy)

3rd alternate account: wizards of different robes: red (fire), blue (water), green (earth), white (air), purple (energy), black (spirits)

Mind you, most alternates are woefully underdeveloped, but I do try to randomly pick one each day to do a little playing with.

( the original plan was to eventually get up to 6 alternate accounts if you see my pattern ... but I've drawn a line for now ... it's already a rather major investment of subscription fees just for a character-building whim )

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I dislike the idea. No need to play with other players. You can almost do everything with your own character.

Skills used to take a LONG time to raise. Very long. Your GM blacksmith guild mate was very loved. these days? Need something crafted, just log in your mule. Need something shot at? Just log in your archer/mage, etc.

G

Oh, I totally agree with more characters per account! There's SO many skills in UO, and I just don't have enough characters to try them all! =D

At the moment, I have 7, and they all get played probably around the same amount each =)

I really hate though, when I have to delete one just so I can try new skills =P

Maybe I don't *need* to interact with other characters in the sense some people think I should, but I do anyway, cos, well, it's a MMORPG =P (however having said that, there's days I really don't *WANT* to interact with other people, sometimes other people ruin my gaming experience, rather than enhance it)

Other alternative I'd be happy with would be get rid of skill caps, and let me have EVERY skill on one character =D

M

Mystic_Of_Cats

I laugh at people who spend massive amounts of money for multiple accounts on this game.

6 Characters is more than enough. Especially with Soulstones which can store skills. I have one of every type of character in UO thanks to my soulstones. It's all I need and I don't spend a small fortune every month on a UO bill.

I say nay to an 8th slot.

G

<blockquote><hr>

This is why I dislike the idea. No need to play with other players. You can almost do everything with your own character.

[/ QUOTE ]
I can understand that nostalgia. I do think that despite slots/accounts/soulstones, a lot of that crafter/adventurer split spirit is still achieved by players choosing playstyles they prefer (for example, since I don't PvP or do Doom/Peerless, so I'm still completely dependent on others for a great many things in the game, despite the many characters).

G

<blockquote><hr>

reason i am posting this so soon after the new 7th character slot became available for those of us willing to pay is i already made my 7th characters per account and i hear there will be no quest to become a gargoyle so i would hate to have to erase a character or two just to have a gargoyle or two. so what to you say folks 8th character slot everyone and this one should come with Stygian Abyss at no extra cost.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please Please no more slots.
You already ruined the community by giving me 7, no 6 no 5. And soulstones. I have every skill. I have every characture. My GOD. No more slots. Take some away.

ARGH.

deadite

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Guess I'm just old school, but...

All these character slots and soulstones have driven player interaction even further into the ground.

Guess I'll just go daydream about hanging out by the Britain smithy offering free repairs or free new armor... BYOI, of course (bring your own ingots).

T

Tazar

Sorry you missed the info, but Jeremy has already explained that the 7th character slot and +20% housing bonus were designed as part of the Stygian Abyss expansion. The 7th character slot was so we could create gargoyles without a Human-Elf/Gargoyle type of quest. Because SA has been delayed, they did not want to make us wait for the goodies (I take it as EA wanted to pre-sell what they would later give away with SA... and yes... I bought it too!)

G

Want more char get a second account.... that's a good 5 or 6 more right there and another account to place another house when you fill up that first one.

Dean478

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Guess I'm just old school, but...

All these character slots and soulstones have driven player interaction even further into the ground.

Guess I'll just go daydream about hanging out by the Britain smithy offering free repairs or free new armor... BYOI, of course (bring your own ingots).

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I used to remember that. I'd travel north west to the graveyard, fight a little and comeback to see everyone at the smiths repairing and equipping myself. I remember being so appreciative as raising skills asctually took effort back then.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Oh I used to remember that. I'd travel north west to the graveyard, fight a little and comeback to see everyone at the smiths repairing and equipping myself. I remember being so appreciative as raising skills asctually took effort back then.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, I get some of you have been playing since Jesus was a baby, but how can you infer raising skills now doesnt take effort? And don't give me the "bashing on a golem doesnt take effort" line, cos not everyone does that - in fact, it's probably the people that have been playing longer that DO do that.

I just GM'ed lockpicking, and getting .1 skill gain per day may be EASY, but it isn't quick.

Going out there, as a newer player, and *PLAYING* the game, takes a hell of a long time to raise skills!

I really do sometime think that some people playing this game actually forget what it's like to play the game, and play *with* it.

And everyone saying about soulstones, yeah, sure, dunno where you all got them from, I have 1 at the moment from my 12 month vet reward, and I bought a couple more from the tokens they have for sale at the moment, but no way in hell I can afford to buy enough to be able to train ALL the available skills up and soulstone them all off! Heck, even fragment tokens are some ridiculously high price, and totally not worth paying for, cos you can only use them 5 times. And by the time you chop and change and move things around to try different ways of playing, they can be used up in no time.

C

Connor_Graham

<blockquote><hr>

Sorry you missed the info, but Jeremy has already explained that the 7th character slot and +20% housing bonus were designed as part of the Stygian Abyss expansion. The 7th character slot was so we could create gargoyles without a Human-Elf/Gargoyle type of quest. Because SA has been delayed, they did not want to make us wait for the goodies (I take it as EA wanted to pre-sell what they would later give away with SA... and yes... I bought it too!)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly why I didn't pay for it. We're going to get it free once the expansion rolls out later this year (probably the previously mentioned "epic" event) and I couldn't see paying 30 bucks for something I can have for free in a few months.

Dean478

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Ok, I get some of you have been playing since Jesus was a baby, but how can you infer raising skills now doesnt take effort? And don't give me the "bashing on a golem doesnt take effort" line, cos not everyone does that - in fact, it's probably the people that have been playing longer that DO do that.

I just GM'ed lockpicking, and getting .1 skill gain per day may be EASY, but it isn't quick.

Going out there, as a newer player, and *PLAYING* the game, takes a hell of a long time to raise skills!

I really do sometime think that some people playing this game actually forget what it's like to play the game, and play *with* it.

And everyone saying about soulstones, yeah, sure, dunno where you all got them from, I have 1 at the moment from my 12 month vet reward, and I bought a couple more from the tokens they have for sale at the moment, but no way in hell I can afford to buy enough to be able to train ALL the available skills up and soulstone them all off! Heck, even fragment tokens are some ridiculously high price, and totally not worth paying for, cos you can only use them 5 times. And by the time you chop and change and move things around to try different ways of playing, they can be used up in no time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say anything about soulstones, I think they are a stupid addition. What next, a save-game feature for MMOs?

Skills raise much faster than they did back during Shattered Legacy or The Second Age. They still take effort yes, but people now focus on skills as an end rather than a means. Just then you said people should focus more on playing the games by using skills, rather than directly training them. This is exactly why I made my post. I agree with this.

It's not just skill gain, it's also risk that was lost with renaissance. It was a stupid short term implementation that didn't consider long term factors. My first guild from release had one smith. Why? Because murderers, monsters and just extremely long skill training times turned others off. Sure we were free to try skills like we are now, but not many people had the dedication to become a grand master in a trade skill.

People really appreciated smiths at Britain. These days it's "I'll log in my mage" or "I'll log in my mule" or on a worse note... "who crafts anyway, we'll do a peerless".

So in summary, yes skills gain faster than they used to. Becoming a grand master is something that takes a lifetime. The developers who followed the original team didn't comprehend this snse of a virtual world.

There is nothing stopping you from trying skills. Only a few skills have new features at high levels. For example, you can try a swordsman quite easily at 40% skill. It'll be exactly like 100%. A mage however will not be the same at 100% as new spells are opened up with each circle. But there are only a few skills like this. Most are crafting. The crafting itself is still the same, so you can look forward and see if it'll appeal to you.

So this argument for "trying everything" is a little weak. considering how easy it is to swap skills.

Dean478

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

You can't turn back the clock - even disco changed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope you sure can't. Also don't get me wrong, I love games that evolve and add new things, just not when they deviate from the original design concept. For example, you don't put laser guns in Ultima Online, just because the Halo series has it and has more players.

Having said that, I loved every expansion for Ultima Online, they were all well done. Just some weren't necessary.

G

It's not easy to swap skills though, well, if you dont mind giving up something you earned it is, but I dont want to just *try* everything, I want to be able to DO everything.

Skills like swords can't be the same at 40 as they are at 100, I wouldnt dare take on a dragon at 40 (well,a ctually I probably did, but I also probably died rather faster than usual =P)

Crafting, begging, camping, fishing, treasure hunting, mining etc etc - these are all the reasons I started playing the game to start with. I want to do all of them, AND all of everything else. I want to *completely* experience the game (within the limitations of my connection speed)

Is why I would be just as happy with one character, if they got rid of the stupid skill cap. (which by the way, I didn't know about before I started playing, and found out about within the first few days, cos I reached it =P And I haven't stopped whining abut it since I discovered it either)

I'm absolutely loving this game, just very very annoyed at the limitations on my characters =)

*edits* I've had a migraine stab my head halfway through writing this post, hope it makes sense, cos reading it over it doesnt to me =P

Dean478

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

I want to be able to DO everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

And there is the exact source and solution of your problem.

D

Drunk'n Masta

8 years of playing uo

2 accounts

7 characters started

0 characters completed

Having more character slots isn't really needed. Enjoy the ones you already started and adapt them to the environments... It's always changing.