• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

500 accounts banned due to third-party currency purchases

Kuru

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Somewhere ya'll equated RMT from third party sellers as the same as DLC/Add on sales from the game.
When the RMT in question is transacted with items/codes that are available from “add on sales” from the official site, then yes, in that circumstance they have a direct correlation.

UO has never sold gold, thus they will more than likely never take an aggressive stance in stopping it. Duped/mass farmgold hurts the economy, but doesn’t really affect UOs bottom line in a serious way.

Game time codes purchased with fraudulent credit card information or for cheaper than what should be available on the other hand..

*edited for terrible punctuation*

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
When the RMT in question is transacted with items/codes that are available from “add on sales” from the official site, then yes, in that circumstance they have a direct correlation.

UO has never sold gold, thus they will more than likely never take an aggressive stance in stopping it. Duped/mass farmgold hurts the economy, but doesn’t really affect UOs bottom line in a serious way.

Game time codes purchased with fraudulent credit card information or for cheaper than what should be available on the other hand..

*edited for terrible punctuation*
I agree, when your sub $ isn't adding up they're almost forced to take action. That figure is what they give to the big bosses to keep the game alive. People who steal CC data for game time really ruin it for everyone, it would be fine if you bought legit codes and sold them in game. But they dont want to be the liability business, so its against the ToS.

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In what concoction of thought building would a single game produce a billion dollar industry? EDIT I see how you construed that; I was referring to multiple points; 1) It's a multibillion dollar industry ; 2) It's in any and every game

2017 -
2019 - Virtual goldmine: In-game goods fuel debate over digital ownership (mentions 100b+ usd)

2020 - It’s hard to make real money selling virtual goods ; goes over some of the potential economy shifting job opportunities with employment arbitrage
Looks like RMT IS a real job. @Keith of Sonoma

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
That’s a pretty brazen statement. Especially considering how hard it’s going to be for you to back it up with all those 3rd party RMT earning statements I’m sure will be easy to find. Are you saying that RMT as a whole in every game is a billion dollar industry? Or in each game individually?
This is Stratics.

No need for anyone to back up their statements with evidence or documentation. It's totally acceptable to just throw out whatever accusation, innuendo, or comment. You don't even have to be in Unleashed! That's right the land of conspiracy theories that turn out to have no foundation. I do appreciate your effort at accountability. We need a lot more of that here. Keep it up!

That being said @Effort is dead on correct. Plenty of articles on the subject can be searched out very easily.

I have a serious issue with the professional website RMT teams in action that are screwing the player base. These should be shut down.

The normal day to day player RMT interaction that trade between themselves. It's the norm. No problem with this.

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No RMT in WoW? I got one word for you .....MARKEEDRAGON!

How you think he's replacing all the stuff the IRS took from him and upgrading faster than can say CHEATER.

At least WoW had the balls to ban him.

*DROPS MIC*

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
No RMT in WoW? I got one word for you .....MARKEEDRAGON!

How you think he's replacing all the stuff the IRS took from him and upgrading faster than can say CHEATER.

At least WoW had the balls to ban him.

*DROPS MIC*
I should correct myself, nothing in WoW is worth paying for outside of the sub. People are still dumb of course... I don't think the RMT on WoW comes close to the impact it has on UO.

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I should correct myself, nothing in WoW is worth paying for outside of the sub. People are still dumb of course... I don't think the RMT on WoW comes close to the impact it has on UO.
Oh, I agree with you. The difference is their Devs have done everything to fight it, while UO's has a long a glorious history of corruption...We have the best Dev team money can buy. :devil:

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I am actually wondering if vpn issues might be what they are looking into, and not stolen credit card purchased codes. That can be almost a 50% loss.

Ghost of Gramps

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok who, invoked their spirit speak?

Good to hear from you old friend.

*tips a glass of good old moonglow red in salute to you*
Good to see you, too, my friend. Signed back on into the game last year after a 7 year hiatus. Been busy with real world events, living and working overseas. Missed the game. Even found myself dreaming of it while I slept at times. Some down time allowed me a chance to see if I wanted to really take part again. I found I like it just as much as before, if not more. Playing on Formosa shard, since that is closer to where I am now in real life, though I keep a character on Atlantic for trading.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Good to see you, too, my friend. Signed back on into the game last year after a 7 year hiatus. Been busy with real world events, living and working overseas. Missed the game. Even found myself dreaming of it while I slept at times. Some down time allowed me a chance to see if I wanted to really take part again. I found I like it just as much as before, if not more. Playing on Formosa shard, since that is closer to where I am now in real life, though I keep a character on Atlantic for trading.
Welcome home old friend.