• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Treasure Hunting] 30 minutes searching...

• Thread starter Goonball FC
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
G

Goonball FC

still no luck..

way to make me want to dig up maps..

G

Gunga_Din

Forget Mining. Shouldn't even be a required skill. The developers are idiots.

G

Goonball FC

mining shouldnt count.. or make it that the scale is greater.. if i could squeak in 20 or 30 points fr a lil more help id be cool.. but 50 to get 2 tiles is too much

i can live with the fact that ore and trees randomized.. least you can see the mountain..

whats funny is.. right after i posted first dig i hit the chest..

shouldnt take a 1/2 hour per map though... some sorta sextent saying you are with in a few paces of the map.. or some other prompt would help..

maps are randomized.. how many random spots are there ya think?

G

Gunga_Din

I just used maps i had saved up. Used Goodman's Books and just dug it up. Short and sweet.

S

Sturdy

wHHAAAAAA TOO HARD!

I dont want to have mining! *pouts*

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have you tried the screen print location method? It does help.

F

Fink

Does plotting an X on the map help now that they've used every crayon in the box on them and borked the pin?

I've never had Mining and I simply don't have the room, but I remember early on people used to plot an X on the maps to narrow down the search. You would think at GM Cartography you'd get a hint at the co-ordinates. MIB's give co-ords without any navigational skill required.

Hendric

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
True but traditionally treasure maps are hard to find in the first place. Walking 100 paces from a certain stone, lining up two rocks and a lighthouse with a doubloon, playing certain notes on a skeletal organ, etc... At that's my experience with RL treasure maps. What I'm trying to say is that they shouldn't be that easy to find. *Shrugs*

Miri of Sonoma

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
True but traditionally treasure maps are hard to find in the first place. Walking 100 paces from a certain stone, lining up two rocks and a lighthouse with a doubloon, playing certain notes on a skeletal organ, etc... At that's my experience with RL treasure maps. What I'm trying to say is that they shouldn't be that easy to find. *Shrugs*
I agree they shouldnt be easy but really..trying to find a pinpoint on a fuzzy map that isnt even the same scale as the radar map!?? In fact it isnt even the same orientation as the radar map! I would GLADLY follow clues! I dont want easy but I want SOMETHING that will help guide me!

I dont think mining should be necessary either. A cartographers expertise should be reading the map and finding the spot. Anyone can dig a hole!

OH by the way Dev's, thanks for putting the regs and gems back in! :)

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
my maps are stil old goodmans style, BUT

the whinning about not wanting to have mining is sad, it has ALWAYS been a requirement since T maps started. If you dont want to have to stand on the exact location spend some skill pints and use mining. With soul stones you can always transfer mining aroung with carto after you decode the mapt stone on carto to dig it up.

I know you wont be bale to Solo the maps now since you have to actually kill the guardians efore you can open it I know its hard :sad3:

This change is AWSOME and i cannot wait until i actualy have to go back to locating a location.

:grouphug:

Miri of Sonoma

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re: my maps are stil old goodmans style, BUT

If you are talking about me, I am not whining about it. Merely stating my opinion! :)

What is more important to me is having a tool to find the chest. I am all for finding the location but give me something to work with please!

Hendric

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's my technique, a bit confusing looking but it's simple....to me.

First, start by locating the general area. Place a bandage little higher up than the pin and one about 10 tiles below it in a straight line. Then run up to the first bandage and start by clicking the shovel>map>ground a tile in front of you in a west to east motion circling around each tree you encounter by going north...always north! Then when you feel you've advanced further than the pin, go one step down, turn around, and work your way up step by step back to the start line (you should be 1 tile down from your first bandage of locating!) If you don't find it, then at least you know where you've already dug, I guess!

EDIT: Oh, one more thing, it helps to have a macro made with UOA: Double click shovel>target map. Really speeds up the process!

Hendric

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The fact is that you CAN find the spots with 0 skill in mining with relative ease, it just takes a little time and practice. Use your heads, people. Think of strategies to find them and stop complaining about it. Not everything in UO should be without challenge. I think the whole point of them making the maps random was to make it challenging. :twak:

F

Fink

N

Nastia Cross

I bought an adv char token yesterday for the 85 mining and soulstoned that on to my thunter (removed meditation since I usually have others with me to fight guardians). Using the magnifying technique it took me all of 2 minutes tops to locate one of the new map spots. Without mining it would take at least 10 minutes with that technique. If you have the room in your template, I highly recommend getting it. Here's my template:

120 Music
120 Provo
85 Mining
105 Magery (+20 mage from crystalline)
110 Eval
100 Lockpicking
100 Cartography

G

Goonball FC

The fact is that you CAN find the spots with 0 skill in mining with relative ease, it just takes a little time and practice. Use your heads, people. Think of strategies to find them and stop complaining about it. Not everything in UO should be without challenge. I think the whole point of them making the maps random was to make it challenging. :twak:
im up for challenge.. but clicking spots for a long time is not challenging.. its brain numbingly stoopid

O

Old Man of UO

im up for challenge.. but clicking spots for a long time is not challenging.. its brain numbingly stoopid
Not sure what you are doing, but after a few maps it gets easy, and I have zero mining. The trick is learning to read the maps before you start digging. Use UOCartographer and the Windows Zoom feature, and you should get close every time. I drop a single fish steak to mark my starting spot so I have a good reference, and can usually drop it within 5 tiles of the chest. The very last one I did today the fish steak was on top of the chest.

It just takes practice, and then it gets easy.

Hendric

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not much different than hitting a tree or picking rocks for ore. I am a warrior after all and we don't bother ourselves with complex searching methods. I'll leave that to the brainies. Still, it gets the job done and I've learned how to cut the search time in half. :eek:

T

Tukaram

I don't mind having to look around for the chests more. Kind of fun. But mining has never made any sense. I'm not digging for ore. I am using a map. So carto should help me find the chest, and lockpicking to open it. Mining just doesn't fit anywhere in the equation to me.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
???

the whinning about not wanting to have mining is sad, it has ALWAYS been a requirement since T maps started. If you dont want to have to stand on the exact location spend some skill pints and use mining. With soul stones you can always transfer mining aroung with carto after you decode the mapt stone on carto to dig it up.

I know you wont be bale to Solo the maps now since you have to actually kill the guardians efore you can open it I know its hard :sad3:

This change is AWSOME and i cannot wait until i actualy have to go back to locating a location.

:grouphug:
Let's count what's wrong with your post.

1. Mining wasn't "ALWAYS" a requirement; it was always meant to be an AID to the hunter, that could be done without if you were good enough. In fact, even with a whole rune library at my disposal, I usually would just recall to the islands (to my "safe spot away from the dig spots, NOT to the actual locations), and with 0 mining find the spot by trial and error a LOT more easily than the current maps.

2. The whole concept of "Soulstoning" the skills was what was WRONG about Mining before these fixes. Mining was RIGHTFULLY ignored by almost all T-hunters prior to this, as it was of little use, even before rune libraries. Cartography SHOULD be the driving force on the ease of finding the spot (have the steps away reduce, as the map gets higher level), and should be REQUIRED to be on the character even to find the spot to dig.

There's only been ONE Treasure hunting expedition in the real world that used mining engineers, and after 2 centuries it STILL hasn't managed to get to the bottom of that godforsaken hole on Oak Island. (Engineers make the traps when you HIDE the treasure - they aren't needed to find it - just disarm the traps once found). On the other hand, countless numbers of treasure troves and sunken treasures have been found by people who could make sense of the maps scribbled down of the loot location. Hell, one of the Stratics regulars even WORKS for such a company, IRL, as part of the item cleaning and conservation team shoreside...

3. if you're so concerned about people soloing the guardians, you sure don't show it, by advocating the Soulstone swap method that makes that EASIER to accomplish. Talk about hypocrasy.....

quadspeed

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re: ???

Let's count what's wrong with your post.

1. Mining wasn't "ALWAYS" a requirement; it was always meant to be an AID to the hunter, that could be done without if you were good enough. In fact, even with a whole rune library at my disposal, I usually would just recall to the islands (to my "safe spot away from the dig spots, NOT to the actual locations), and with 0 mining find the spot by trial and error a LOT more easily than the current maps.

2. The whole concept of "Soulstoning" the skills was what was WRONG about Mining before these fixes. Mining was RIGHTFULLY ignored by almost all T-hunters prior to this, as it was of little use, even before rune libraries. Cartography SHOULD be the driving force on the ease of finding the spot (have the steps away reduce, as the map gets higher level), and should be REQUIRED to be on the character even to find the spot to dig.

There's only been ONE Treasure hunting expedition in the real world that used mining engineers, and after 2 centuries it STILL hasn't managed to get to the bottom of that godforsaken hole on Oak Island. (Engineers make the traps when you HIDE the treasure - they aren't needed to find it - just disarm the traps once found). On the other hand, countless numbers of treasure troves and sunken treasures have been found by people who could make sense of the maps scribbled down of the loot location. Hell, one of the Stratics regulars even WORKS for such a company, IRL, as part of the item cleaning and conservation team shoreside...

3. if you're so concerned about people soloing the guardians, you sure don't show it, by advocating the Soulstone swap method that makes that EASIER to accomplish. Talk about hypocrasy.....
Basara ! lets count whats wrong with your post!
why should mining have anything to do wih T-Hunting ?
why should soulstoning have anything to do with T-hunting?
i agree T-Hunting needed a upgrade! and you have done well having guardians ! and changing loot in chests! also in future maybe make spawn harder by havin larger spawn !
what was wrong with having a rune library to locate the chests? far better than spending endless hours getting cramp in fingers clicking on the ground! esp having missed the spot so wasting time !
i like to solo my chests! but ppl that like to have more than 1 are not gonna hang around for hours w8ing for chest to be dug up!
also this random idea has led to chests being located in the sea ! wow that was a good idea!not!
So in 1 go you have improved and wrecked T-Hunting !

quadspeed

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Basara ! in 1 go you have improved and wrecked T-Hunting!

i agree T-Hunting needed a upgrade! and you have done well having guardians ! and changing loot in chests! also in future maybe make spawn harder by havin larger spawn !
what was wrong with having a rune library to locate the chests? far better than spending endless hours getting cramp in fingers clicking on the ground! esp having missed the spot so wasting time !
i like to solo my chests! but ppl that like to have more than 1 are not gonna hang around for hours w8ing for chest to be dug up!
also this random idea has led to chests being located in the sea ! wow that was a good idea!not!
Tanis!

Hendric

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re: Basara ! in 1 go you have improved and wrecked T-Hunting!

For now I guess we'll just have to sit tight and do like we always do when new content comes out since the dawn of Ultima Online, adapt and figure out strategies. Before long, we will become masters and we shall take the newcomers by the hand and send them forth with advice that will lead them to victory! Or, if we're feeling moody, false advice that will lead them to their death's and after that, we will laugh in their faces.

O

Old Man of UO

Re: ???

Mining should NOT be needed for treasure chest hunting, but I disagree with what you are saying on the amount of time it takes to find a chest. If you want to be quick and efficient, either take up mining (which I agree we should not need to) OR practice. With zero mining I usually start digging within 5 tiles of the location of the chest and find it within 5 minutes.... or less. It does NOT take hours, as you are exaggerating.