• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

2011 Ford Fiesta

• Thread starter Beer_Cayse
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
B

Beer_Cayse

Our current car is at the point where it's most likely better to replace than repair - we may have an electrical short (backup light fuses blow constantly) that I frankly do not want to spend hundreds on.

There are some things I'll be doing tonight to determine that but the Fiesta has gotten my attention. No one has them around here (5 dealers) as they apparently sell out faster than they can stock them. I am wondering of anyone has had a chance to actually drive one.

If so, how was it ... is it as good as reviews lead us to believe? Construction quality ... fit and finish. Good? Bad?

Anyone?

Thanks!

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't had a car payment in about 6 years, and I dread the moment I have one again =/

So good luck!

B

Beer_Cayse

Oh, I buy my cars cash only. I want that title NOW and not in 'n' years of interest payments. Current car (2001 Neon) was bought 1 year old with a bank check to the dealership.

Next car (either Fiesta or Chevy Cobalt) will be the same. I really dislike getting rid of the Neon ... it's near 140K miles with 23-25MPG city, 29-32MPG highway. But between the fuse/short issue and the possibility the heater core is next it just isn't cost effective to keep it longer.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was going to comment on what a **** poor idea it is to buy a Cobalt or any Ford... but you currently drive a Neon. Falling on deaf ears isn't my idea of a good time.

B

Beer_Cayse

I was going to comment on what a **** poor idea it is to buy a Cobalt or any Ford... but you currently drive a Neon. Falling on deaf ears isn't my idea of a good time.
They ain't deef ... and you're welcome to your opinion. However consider this:

Web searches and "build-it" runs for Kia, Honda, Toyota, VW, GM, Chrysler, Ford, Hyundai. All had something in models that I liked in the 32K or less price range. However I have 1 salary for a household of 3 so that's in the mix.

Within 10 miles of my house are GM, Chrysler and Ford dealerships. A drive of at least 20 miles and as much as 50 miles (one way) to reach a dealership for any of the others.

Warranty policies as told to me by Service Managers of at least 1 dealership of each of those makes: All US makers agree - any shop that has certified mechanics on staff is satisfactory to maintain new car warranty. All non-US makes require you to bring in the auto to their shop and only shops for that make.

Basic oil change costs - US makes run $19.95 to $29.95 for the most part. Non-US are $29.95 and up.

Within a 10 mile radius of my house are the US car dealers and at least 8 other non-dealer facilities I can get any maintenance done on a new or used vehicle. Saves mileage on a car, essentially giving a lower cost-to-own.

Within the last 35 years I have owned cars from VW (2), Datsun (now Nissan), GM (Pontiac and Chevy), Ford, Chrysler (Chrysler (2), Dodge (2), Plymouth (3)). The Chrysler makes racked up close to 200K miles on each of them (except one) before I needed to get rid of them. The rest came close to 130K before they went.

One VW never made it past warranty and I turned it back - damn thing kept losing the charging system and was never repaired properly. That was before lemon laws went into effect, tho.

So I need to be cost conscious financially for now and as retirement nears (2 to 4 years) I need a vehicle that will be more economical to drive over a span of 6+ years. Hybrids (which I would dearly love to have) are still priced out of what would be comfortable at the moment. In 5 years it may not be so.

So, there's my reasoning ... for why and what I look at. I think it's the more correct way considering the household situation at present.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I paid cash for my car (2003 eclipse) when I bought it, and I had no idea they put a long ass hold on getting your car so the government can verify the funds *sigh*.

Lexfixr

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Go to Topgear.com

those crazy brits think the fiesta is good
quote from their review

"Ridiculously good supermini still kicking the arse of rivals....."

B

Beer_Cayse

I saw reviews even from Edmunds that were pretty darn good. Seeing Edmunds give an essentially a thumbs-up surprised me ... they're pretty conservative.

D

Danielmarkwogh

I just got this 2011 Ford Fiesta last week with blue color, Its really looking very nice.
Interior of this car and has aerodynamic shape look become a great car, Its having a also powerful engine.

B

Beer_Cayse

I finally got to see one a couple weeks ago ... they're really scarce in this area (hard to keep in stock). It was a hatchback and the red color. I was impressed ... seeing as how the last Ford I owned was a 1969 Torino GT (new)!.

Our Fiesta - yes we did order one - should arrive end of next week or the beginning of the next one. We got the SE Sedan, gray with automatic, remote start and a couple other optional things. We would have gotten the manual transmission but our son also drives the car and he has not a clue on stick shift driving! <shrug>

I'm hoping performance is decent as the engine (1.6L) is smaller than the Neon 2.4L. However the Fiesta is also about 1000 pounds lighter.

For those who would poo-poo Fiesta based on prior US models:
Take another look. The interior has 25% or more recycled materials; frame in critical areas is Boron steel (tougher); sound deadening of Lincoln MKS; better standard airbag restraint system than most other autos and a ton more items that make it worth a look.

Prior models in the US were crap but this car looks really nice and has been "battle-tested" everywhere else except the US! The rest of the world knocked the roughness out of it!