• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Imbuing] 2 questions about unraveling

Thimotty

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1) Is it possible to get to 120 Imbuing by only unraveling high props items?
2) If "Yes" is there a way to determine the % chance for unravel item if i know its "Imbue Weight"? I can calculate the "Imbue Weight" for an item using this table, but how can i tell how much "Imbue Weight" should item have so i get 50% chance to unravel at for example 60 or 110 imbuing?

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail good fellow,

Probably, but may take a year depending on how much loot you are able to unravel.

If I were you I would use a Crystal Ball of Knowledge and unravel a few items to get a feel for when skill gain is optimal. It will vary as you increase imbuing skill so you would have to tune your perspective on what to loot as you get skill gains.

You could run experiments on the test shard to determine the exact answer to your question.

-Lorax

Thimotty

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you Lorax!

Yes, I have been throwing away tons of high end stuff daily.

Hmm why I did think about it :) Anyway I was hoping someone has already discovered the formula :)

Thanks again.

P

Pandaros

I read here on stratics that you can gain by unravelling all the way to 120 but it seems that it takes ages this way. Even bringing back home so many full bags of stuff to unravel must be very exhausting. If you are willing to train it over a period of one year you may as well use a tiny amount of gems and residue and ggs your way to legendary! It is fairly easy to train the skill up to 90 say, so then you can start using just ggs.

W

Wevie

Heres what I gathered - whether this is true or not, I'm not sure, but it is working for me so far.

Using Copper_Enhanced you can see the "weight" of all items. Go to imbue item and adjust the stats of what you are trying to imbue until you have about a 50% success chance. Note the "weight" of the item. This is the weight of items you should be dragging home to unravel.

Would be nice if there was a chart.

J

[JD]

Heres what I gathered - whether this is true or not, I'm not sure, but it is working for me so far.

Using Copper_Enhanced you can see the "weight" of all items. Go to imbue item and adjust the stats of what you are trying to imbue until you have about a 50% success chance. Note the "weight" of the item. This is the weight of items you should be dragging home to unravel.

^This

Also, unraveling for gain slows around 70's to 90's because of 2 factors:

1) Higher level skills take longer to gain
2) The items you unravel must be of sufficient weight to gain from. Your supply of these will continually dwindle. IE If I start a new imbuer with 50 imbuing and go hunt miasma for stuff to unravel, EVERYTHING in the pack of loot will give me a chance for gain because my skill is so low. Now, if I have 116 skill, I must have 320+ weight items to unravel. And if I kill Miasma, I may find 0-2 items each kill which are of sufficient weight. Thus, I must hunt for more, my supply of items to unravel will be less.

I still unravel but it takes me a couple days to build up a bag of stuff to unravel. Thus my unraveling gains are slower.

I tried the Jingasa method and thats really slow too. But I did speed through the gains of 103-114ish using it.

mainly these days I just make sure to log in once a day and get my GGS .1

NullByte

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Having just returned after a 3 year hiatus, how do you unravel something?

My guess is I need to be near a soul forge and use the salvage bag?

What else enhances skill gain, I noticed in this thread a crystal ball of knowledge, what does that do and where do you get them?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
NullByte

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Unraveling is done with any container, and choosing "unravel container" from the Imbuing gump, standing next to a soul forge...

The Salvage bag's special properties are for Recycling leather & ingots (And gives bonus ingots back). There's a good writeup in the guides in the "Data Chest" subforum as to what a Salvage Bag does.

A crystal ball of knowledge comes from a quest in Ter Mur Royal City, one that I believe asks for certain mysticism regs. What you do with the ball is you turn the ball on in your backpack.

Every time a skill is actively or passively checked, the ball tells you the skill, and your skil gain chance from it (note that the ball assumes you haven't used any powerscrolls, as powerscrolls can raise your gain window by up to 10 skill points).

The answers it gives are
Too Easy (rare chance of a gain if you've used a PS for the skill): means you are 100% or better success chance.
Very Easy
Optimum (this is the range for best skill gain - about 50%-60% success)
Challenging
and several others as it gets more difficult.

Since I'm not actually using a ball at the moment, I'm having to give an incomplete description.

NullByte

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for your help, I was not sure how to get the imbuing gump up. ie: I was trying to work out what tool you use.

Then I decided why not just click the skill in the skill menu while next to the forge.

Its been a while since needing to use the skill menu to activate a skill :)

Thanks for the info on the ball

W

Wevie

This isn't working for me. I checked the weight to hit 45-65% chance to imbue. I then gathered four chests of items in this range (500 items). I unraveled all four chests. All I got was my GGS.

Next, I took four chest full of items about 50 weight above my 45-65% range. I got good gains from these.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
well, the 45%-65% range is for crafting.... It may not be for unraveling.

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This isn't working for me. I checked the weight to hit 45-65% chance to imbue. I then gathered four chests of items in this range (500 items). I unraveled all four chests. All I got was my GGS.

Next, I took four chest full of items about 50 weight above my 45-65% range. I got good gains from these.
I would use the crystal ball of knowledge and unravel. Review the system notes afterwards regarding the gain chance and whether you got a gain. Then you will see what level is required for unraveling. You should mostly get skill gains for items that are optimal to give a skill gain and rarely get gains outside of that. I have tested that ball while raising skills like tactics and stuff and found it was impossible to get any gain in areas largly more difficult than optimal.

-Lorax

B

Boomers

as i've already 120'd imbuing, i've been carting all my t-map loot to a friend's house. She's up to almost 80 just from unravels so far (started at 35ish)...we're trying to at least GM her from it