• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

16 Year Old Vet

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"The same $9.99 in 1997 is well over $14 today"

Yes but the $9.99 was before Obamma Hamma, Your $14 now is really only worth $7 ,so its cheaper to play now
Sorry, but you need to go further back than just that. But as far as UO is concerned, the $9.99 a month isn't really gone. If you still wish to do $9.99 per month just pay for the 6 month package.

Last edited:

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
"The same $9.99 in 1997 is well over $14 today"

Yes but the $9.99 was before Obamma Hamma, Your $14 now is really only worth $7 ,so its cheaper to play now
That's my point: UO is a better value today than in 1997, even paying the full month-by-month fee.

Per official calculations of inflation, the purchasing power of $10 in 1997 would require over $14 today. Now I'm one of those who says that inflation has been deliberately understated, but don't get me started...

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't chimed in here yet, but here are my two pennies..

I think the price point of UO is acceptable due to the fact that according to my experience, the playerbase for UO I think is much older than most other games due to the fact that alot of loyal players literally grew up with the game. I do not want to speculate as to the employment of that playerbase, but in my case, I can afford that sub due to both my wife and I having stable, well paying jobs. I think F2P and the free model were created and developed more to target the younger, less well employed playerbase. Maybe the free to play model is so popular now due to the current economical situation being the way it is in the US.

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is one fact we often tend to ignore: In the beginning we paid for 1 account.
Nowadays many of us pay for multiple accounts for various reasons, be it to hold a house, be it to keep the accounts of long lost friends alive ...
So what was once 10 $ per month, is now multiplying with the account numbers (on top with taxes and currency conversion penalties for international players) - and this is the point, on which I would agree with the OP. Accounts bound to one EA ID could/should have some monetary benefit.

Last edited: