• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

15 years of memories!!! I remember when...

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I used to run around Trinsic moongate picking up reagents so I could cast spells!
i remember before Seers the first event i remember there was a group of orphan children killing everyone on Pacific north of Minoc.
They looked like characters but half the size when you opened the paper doll it looked kinda like a kid

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Kylie Kinslayer UO Atlantic News Reporter

New
Did anyone else go around thanking wandering healers back when they used to throw you g-heals when you were low on health? Or am I the only one :p

NO you're not alone I remember that too... I also remember when you used to be able to ask NPC's where the bank and stuff was and they would tell you.
Ahahahaaa! I forgot about these! Thanks!

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I used to run around Trinsic moongate picking up reagents so I could cast spells!
I didn't know what they were for a long time!

Later in the old world, Dirk Smith had started a village along the swamp south of Destard Entrance and gave me a patio house where I could have vendors. I would sell reagents and items from Destard Dungeon.
( Can anyone tell me if you could bring up labels of everything on the ground at that time using Ctrl+Shift? I used to hide bags of reagents under vendors and no one seemed to be able to see them. I would buy tons of reagents and hide overloads on the floor unseen. No one knew I was doing that. It was always dicey stocking the vendors and I can't remember what all the problems were now.) Now the big story:

One day, a new house was placed between the entrance pf Destard Dungeon and our Destard village South of Destard along the Swamp front.

Jade (bard), being a "good guy" and Shop Keeper, ran over with a gift to meet and welcome the New Neighbors to the Destard Neighborhood. They took the gift, laughed, :flame:then killed and looted my corpse.

Oh was I mad. I wasn't a fighter and not very strong. I didn't make it habit to go around killing players. So, yes.. heart pounding in my throat, nervous as can be, expecting to be killed again ..but SO MAD - -

I logged in my other Jade (tamer) and went back to their house with two of the very first tamed newest creatures in the game: Nightmares! On their house steps, I waitied and practiced my tracking skill which surprisingly soon informed me they were coming. I remained visible but the mares were in guarding mode on either side of me and I cast invis on them.

The two houseowners arrived, laughed and attacked me. Ooops! (amazingly I didn't die! )
So I cast a gate, stood in it with one of the nightmares and waited. I could hear their dying screams as they tried to run away. Then I vanished through the gate with the nightmares following - not bothering to loot their corpses.

The GHOST of Jade/Bard, was then logged in and left visible standing in their front door. Later I would log him in to wander around their house, appearing in front of them occasionally for the next few days.

They were totally Spooked.

A few days later, they came to Destard Village with two interpreters, begging to have Jade's Ghost removed from their house and promising not to kill anyone in our village again.

Later I learned they were from a far East country that had just started playing UO. They couldn't understand English, and were being taught to gain fighting skills by killing players in this game.

Our new neighbors and their guild members eventually became very good friends with our Destard Village population, and with other Blue guilds in the Scara/Destard area, and one member of their group stayed for many years playing in Destard where we would help each other even though we didn't speak the same language.

Now where else but in UO can that happen, tell me?

Ok - I am procrastinating .. back to the Headless miners I go .. *sigh*

Last edited:

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
i remember before Seers the first event i remember there was a group of orphan children killing everyone on Pacific north of Minoc.
They looked like characters but half the size when you opened the paper doll it looked kinda like a kid
Yeah! I remember that too - som event suddnly NPC children running around - i have never seen children NPC's since than anymore!

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
im gonna say one phrase.
if you are old enough in game you will know what it means and laugh.
if you don't then no explanation will help.

"one forward" x 8

thank you, thank you, i know i just made all of your wrists and eyes hurt from that fond memory.
ill be on my way now.

Last edited:

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
..... Our new neighbors and their guild members eventually became very good friends with our Destard Village population, and with other Blue guilds in the Scara/Destard area, and one member of their group stayed for many years playing in Destard where we would help each other even though we didn't speak the same language.

Now where else but in UO can that happen, tell me?
Yes, where else....

Chazztizer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I remember being on britt bank roof (when only a few knew how to get there) a guy took 60k out of bank and recalled, his 60 dropped right next to me and I had in those days a fortune!!! I remember feeling bad for a bit but that new smitty made me forget my guilt very fast! It was forever after that before I saved that much on my own!! Oh and when I placed my guildstone a guy dropped out of hiding and named the guild Puking Bastards of America and became guild leader!!! I paged a Gm and he actually changed the stone So the Regulators of Chaotic Killings was born The RCK named for the Great GM ROCK!!!!

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I remember....
  • Being a scavenger at Vesper bank.
  • The spamming & scamming that went on at West Brit Bank.
  • Hanging out with all the tamers at Moonglow and everyone rode a pure black, long haired mare.
  • Reg shopping in Occlo.
  • Brit X-roads was *the* PVP spot.
  • Having 2 stacks of gold in my bank. A total of 70k and I was rich!
  • Losing a check for 50k because I logged out with the check in my backpack but had not completed the 'new player' tutorial. The game would delete all non-newbie items from your backpack unless you completed the tutorial.
  • Some dude hired 40 paladins and walked through Moonglow with all the paladins following him. It was hilarious. Wish I had a captured a screenshot of that.
  • I was in Fel right after Trammel opened when a PK & his entourage came onscreen. One of them cast paralyze so I couldn't run or cast. But I did have a moonstone in my backpack. So I double-clicked the moonstone & was transported to Trammel. I still laugh about that to this day. I left them there & I'm sure they were wondering WTH.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone else remember those paladins in Delucia that attacked everyone who had negative karma? If I remember correctly they were insanely strong.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
im gonna say one phrase.
if you are old enough in game you will know what it means and laugh.
if you don't then no explanation will help.

"one forward" x 8

thank you, thank you, i know i just made all of your wrists and eyes hurt from that fond memory.
ill be on my way now.
just made me shiver with the thought of it...

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ahh the old 8x8 to train skills.
And powerhour. That was always the best. "log into your tamer, I cant because his powerhour will start soon!"

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Pre-patch heavy crossbows. The oldest of veterans know what I'm talking about.

Getting poisoned for the first time, I think from a snake, and running to the WBB. One twit jeered, "Oooh are you about to die?" Another person cured me.

Spending my last 900 gold to surprise a friend, who'd just been PKd again, with an AR30 plate suit.

Everyone wearing full plate, and often a robe so PKs wouldn't know. Mages wore magical wizard hats. Gaining 5 int was worth losing 5 str and 5 dex.

People believing white horses were faster, that eating food helped your casting odds, and that moving after fizzling helped your odds.

Thinking that when I called for guards, I had to name the person (usually a thief at WBB).

Stolen items remaining on thieves' bodies, so they'd steal and run across the screen to an accomplice, who'd loot the item.

Every noob thief complaining on Stratics that guards returning items was ruining "roleplay."

Every jerk excusing outright sexual harassment and racist slurs as "Im just rping."

Thieves stealing outside town and remaining blue, then giving a murder count (no thieves guild at the time!).

Becoming "Dastardly" under the old notoriety system if you accidentally attacked blue friends a few too many times.

My friend who introduced me to UO saying, "I'm a Dread Lord, but only because I accidentally attack friends a whole lot of times."

Becoming a Great Lord by killing a single rat every 15 minutes at the Jhelom docks.

PKs regularly at the crossroads, and outside the Brit and Trinsic moongates.

People shouting at the WBB that there were PKs at a certain place. Often the Great Lords, if they drove away any Dread Lords and saw other blues returning, would return on their own Dread Lords to do their own PKing.

And for the reason above, it's a myth that Great Lord/Dread Lord wars at the Chaos Shrine had anything to do with good guys and bad guys.

"vendor buy bank guards" that later became "vendor buy bank guards recsu recdu" with the advent of T2A.

Archer suits, after the early 1999 PvP revamp introduced dex penalties.

Early characters that got corrupted and were simply wiped. No backups offered. Fortunately it didn't affect me, but my guildmaster lost a master mage. That was a big deal.

His silver heavy crossbow of power, worth 25K (a small fortune). I thought he was a great guy until he almost laughingly told me how he got it: he scammed it at the Brit forge, pretending to be a smith.

Some characters were bugged in total stats. I had one that peaked at 228, my GM had one at 235. Some couldn't get to 225.

Shopping in different cities because some NPCs were cheaper. Moonglow had black pearl and blood moss for 5 gold each, while everywhere else was 6 gold.

Carving bows for four nights to get the 40K for my first house.

The land eventually becoming full of houses, every coastline full of small houses, because they were unlimited per account.

Learning that my new neighbor was a cheater when my GM swordsman -- maybe one of 50 at the time on the whole shard -- could hit his unarmored noob only once every 10 swings. He swung a halberd as fast as a dagger and connected every time. He didn't do much damage, but neither of us could heal, so he won.

Losing that house because, whoops, I had the key on me.

My friend confronting this guild, who dared him to page for all the good it would do.

Learning that one of the most respected RP leaders on my shard, in fact a Seer on another shard, was secretly one of the most notorious PKs. So he'd know exactly where and how to grief his own events.

The most infamous cheat program of UO's early days, and the bane of my play: it gave PKs bows that fired like Uzis, instant recall (quick escape for PKs, and this was years before the aggressor flag), and "ghostwalk" long before stealth was introduced. We once chased a guy through Shame after he killed our friend. My high tracking saw where he was going, but when it indicated we passed him, we realized he was completely invisible.

The same program allowing snooping from across the screen, and stealing multiple items at once.

Zig-zagging so a mage couldn't target me, only to find he was cheating with Last Target (before UOA was legal, and before you could target player bars).

GM Darwin.

Netting a whole 8K an hour from making fancy shirts, when unattended macroing was legal.

I was likely not the first to discover the fruit basket on my shard, but I was evidently the first to get it regularly. For that first month until the secret got out, it sold every day for 25K -- great money at the time.

Server down at noon.

Server downs at irregular times, two or three times a week, with time warps.

The really bad time warp (1999?) and server reverts that erased three days of play. It started with one night of horrible lag. Several of us were sitting in a player-run tavern outside town, but there was no danger since would-be PKs were lagged out too.

By late 1999, server down could take 90 minutes. Without house decay, before secure housing storage, the tiniest of houses was loaded with junk.

The dupers who realized what overloaded houses meant.

The one guild who found a way to crash entire shards.

All of the MDK guild getting banned.

Fighting balrons in Hythloth 3 using teleport pads.

Barding without line-of-sight, and owning the terathan keep when T2A first opened.

Not being able to move the Trammel was scheduled to open, because of sheer lag just about everywhere.

And most importantly: asking my best in-game friend to tell me once he spotted my rarely seen game crush, who ended up becoming my best IRL friend.

Last edited:

Arcades

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember when people in my guild would cheat on their wives with their in-game wives, marriages failing, crazy **** in 97 that a high schooler was completely shocked at! UO being a completely new social experiment.

When people would provoke NPCs to attack players, so many dead people in towns, stuck inside shops, back then it was only fel rules so with no stamina and 10 NPCs blocking entrances, was a huge death trap

Orc guilds where people dressed up as orcs and roleplayed

Convincing home owners that caught you stealing to become your partners in crime

Server reverts

Buying my first house, as castle for 25k, the day before they raised all the prices of housing to 100k

The Purple People Eaters

Buying the black platemail pieces from different blacksmith shops all over Britannina to complete a set of black plate

Real wedding crashers by PKs, brides and grooms murdered, bloodbaths

Finally getting to Great Lord

Getting to GM swordsman only to watch someone fletching and go back down to 99.9 swords

and yes 8x8

Such fond memories :)

L

Lord Memnock

I remember the Bridge of Death
I remember the Knight's Quest
I remember the Fireball Wand
I remember Grimli and jumping the barrier into the world building zone
I remember the first time I met Lord British, in the street outside the Sweet Dreams Inn
I remember gaining experience, and levels.
I remember wearing a backpack
I remember being killed by a horde of orcs summoned by Lord British and the end of the world

I remember Stones and an opening chest
I remember tents
I remember not having a bank box
I remember the training dummies all being in use and having to stand in line
I remember silent casting
I remember rubberbanding after being killed by a PK, then having it happen all over again... and then again....
I remember no allnames
I remember reagent vendor shortages and having to forage for spell components in the wilderness
I remember the second time I met Lord British and his murder by Rainz
I remember the Black Gates and the Dread Lords and the end of the world

I remember colored armor on town vendors
I remember gaining .1 in camping being the worst thing short of death and looting
I remember player crafters populating the major towns and selling out of the NPC stores or out of impromptu stalls setup in the street
I remember going to the Britain forge for repairs from the player smiths working there
I remember Counselors and Seers
I remember the third time I met Lord British, adventuring near the Britain moongate
I remember the Moonglow Mercantile and Ingrid Tilkin and Pfredd Mudd
I remember GM Bones and B0N3D00D and pLaTeDeWd and Elawyn of Yew and Lead Counselor Rmageddon and Seer Daemon
I remember Lord Slay and the Carebears and the Oasis Tavern
I remember The Band and the founding of Paxlair
I remember The Sillyhood and its silly kniggits saying *Ni!* at will to old ladies
I remember the placing of our Guildhall, which stands to this day
I remember the Duir of Yew and the Name Your Poison and the evil Paracelsus

I remember the laugh of a lich, the howl of a wolf, the sound of an energy bolt

I remember more friends than I can ever name having more adventures than I will ever recall
I remember Britannia...
... and I will never, ever, forget it.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Buying the black platemail pieces from different blacksmith shops all over Britannina to complete a set of black plate

Getting to GM swordsman only to watch someone fletching and go back down to 99.9 swords
Oh yes, I had forgotten all the colored plate! When player-crafted colored armor was introduced, I threw away a beautiful set of rose plate that I wish I'd kept. It was a perfectly matched set. Some NPCs had different shades than others.

When you could "learn" by watching, people would set campfires all over WBB...

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I remember being told by the person who bought me the game that you could gain in intelligence by reading the books in the bookcases in cities. And also by talking to wisps. So yeah, the hippie chick ran all around Sosaria chasing wisps and trying to talk their language.

But I actually did learn a lot about the game lore by reading the books but I should have known better. This same guy is the guy who wouldn't answer my newbie questions my first day in game. Questions like: How do I talk? How Do I walk? He kept telling me over the phone to go read the manual. I didn't WANT to (said in a whinny voice*)!
So yeah, the hippie chick spent her first 4 hours standing outside the Moonglow inn unable to move.

I should have stayed there and not moved. Because I few hours after I was walking some punk named Wheelie spent days PK'ing me till someone told him to back off. I haven't seen Wheelie in more than a decade now and I miss him. :heart:Damn punk kid!

Last edited:

Rhiannon

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh yes, I had forgotten all the colored plate! When player-crafted colored armor was introduced, I threw away a beautiful set of rose plate that I wish I'd kept. It was a perfectly matched set. Some NPCs had different shades than others.

I remember that first "you have gained skill in camping" and having absolutely no clue how I did that. Much later, I was so grateful they put in skill lock so I could have control over my skills. As soon as I hit GM on a skill, LOCK. I hit my first ever Legendary skill yesterday. Locked that puppy with a HUGE smile on my face.

Blind Otto

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember a lot of reds who RP'd highwaymen on Siege. Back when roads were actually used to get from place to place, many guilds would lie in waiting, and leap out at unsuspecting travelers. You normally had the option of paying some form of tribute, or, if you refused, you were killed and it was taken from you. Those were the days... guilds like the Blackoak Brigands, TAX, even VmP demanding vials of blood, and various strange orcs and other folks demanding shoes...

To this day, I prefer to use the roads. Spells may get you to places quicker, but the land still feels more real when you actually travel the old fashioned way.

Rhiannon

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still sometimes go on long horseback rides in the country just to see houses and such. While I am relatively safer than wandering about on Siege, I still get nervous that I'll come across a creature that will freeze me in place and kill me dead as a doornail, which always makes me angry. But it's occasionally worth the risk and reminds me of those days long ago when walking or sailing was the ONLY way to get places.

I had a friend once who went on a walk about and visited all the virtue shrines by walking to them. I thought that was really a cool thing to do. Might do it myself soon as an homage to Lord British.

The Predator

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I remember creating and mastering the "trade window scam" that ultimately led me to insane profits and buying my first house :) --- In summary: You could remove items out of the secure trade window right before the other person checked their diamond. This is how it worked:
  • Created a miner with 50 Mining and 50 Magery
  • Start at Minoc
  • Spend time mining and smelting close to 2,500 iron ingots
  • Travel to Vesper to get runes and reagants
  • Use the Moongates to mark runes to each major bank
  • Say "Selling 1,000 iron ingots for 5,000 gold" at any bank (laughing when thinking about the prices back then....)
  • Find a blacksmith who was interested in my ingots
  • Put 1,000 iron ingots in the secure trade window
  • Highlight the ingots to select the amount, and type in "998"
  • Wait for the buyer to put 5,000 gold in the window
  • Wait two seconds
  • Press "Enter"
  • The buyer would select the diamond, assuming that he/she is buying 1,000 iron ingots, when in fact they are only buying a two.
  • Decide that selling two ingots for the price of 1,000 is favorable, and finish the trade.
  • Put the gold in the Bank
  • Recall to the next major bank
  • Rinse and Repeat
For people that know me well, I always found a way to use the in-game mechanics to my advantage. :D

Last edited:

RuSini Neb

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I remember my first day in Uo... I spawned in moonglow stumbled on the docs and this big blue man wanted to give me a hug ;x...
20 minutes later character (2) ( couldn't figure out how to rez) Someone was like you should go to the park in wind ( use to be full of critters and not gargoyles ) and train your swords in safety... so he somehow gated me to wind ( i think it was some sort of exploit back then to get into wind with out 70 magery or w.e ) and now I am killing all the bambi's i can find... Along comes a man who commented on my 'wizard hat' and asked me if i would join him in part of the dungeon that is wind... so I follow ( being very dumb ), and after a walk he asks me if I would trade my hat for his... being that i just bought it off a npc, I told him no, he can buy his own in town they are cheep... so whats he do... He kills me ( 1 hit ) then 3 other blues show up and he starts explaining to them how i was a pk and attacked him, of course I tried to argue unaware of the old oo0oo000ooo0o :x ..... the first few years of uo for me was me non stop getting taken advantage by people running scams etc.. etc... i was like 12 years old and very inexperienced in the things that are the world.

One thing that almost ruined uo for me was the option to rez with the loss of 25% of your skills and stats I didnt understand it at first... and thought every time i died i would have to lose 25% of all progress....
i would get up to 50 to 60 in swords and tacs etc.. etc.. to have it all wiped back to my starting point ;x over and over

Last edited:

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember a lot of reds who RP'd highwaymen on Siege. Back when roads were actually used to get from place to place, many guilds would lie in waiting, and leap out at unsuspecting travelers. You normally had the option of paying some form of tribute, or, if you refused, you were killed and it was taken from you. Those were the days... guilds like the Blackoak Brigands, TAX, even VmP demanding vials of blood, and various strange orcs and other folks demanding shoes...
RPing pks. I remember being killed by some of them on Siege way back. They said they wanted my eyes...

Belshazzar

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Making fancy shirts from bolts of cloth at the Vesper tailor shop over and over for a weekend just to save gold for small house.

Watching 20 players attack a ettin and LOSE!

Seeing a dragon for first time thinking holy crap i am dead - guess what i was..

My first key/rune stolen empty house syndrome - yeah many of those..

When Corp Por meant grey screen constantly...

Helping friend with a level 1 tmap thinking OMG this is awesome!!

Was to afraid to leave my house in fear of loosing GM Blacksmith due to camping in britain.

Crashing the servers on christmas day when everyone had to match player ticket numbers in order to receive gifts...

CryptisRavenous

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember:
Never seeing the bottom of Terathan Keep in color, hunting for moonstones, locking down my keys under the doorstep of my house, finding out keyrings actually worked as keyrings, getting frustrated when I would click a full keyring and target the same keyring, defending guild treasure map digs, keeping crystal balls just because I liked them, pulling bone containers out of the barrels in the first level of shame, fighting over the reversed ingots, colored wires and forged metal in Bux Den, PvP thieves, resurrecting reds after a duel then getting ganked because I went gray, having to "restealth" every 10 steps, bank sitting because sometimes I needed conversation more than gaming.

(Edit) And, collecting full suits of bone armor.

Last edited:

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember my friend telling me his brother played a game that took up 500 mb space on his computer and thinking What? That's mental. Who would play a game that took up that much space? (it was UO beta) Soon I found out that I would. I remember incredible lag and screen freezes forcing you to log out completely and back on if you could to find out if you were dead or alive. If it was certain death then hoping for a time warp which was common also. I remember one guy killing five of us. He was just faster and obviously didn't have the lag problems we had. I remember the antisocial behaviors of many red players who got a kick out of ruining the game time for others. I remember switching from a mage to an archer because an archer autodefended when in lag or disconected. I remember the trammel land rush. I had marked about 20 places I thought I might want to place a house. Rushing home to try to place a house and too much lag. When I finally could move all the 20 places were taken and all the available spots nearby were taken. My guild mistress told me to check a place by Moonglow and fortuantely I was able to place there. I remember placing my first house (before Trammel), I had a friend on the phone giving me direction on how to do it. I was so glad he was there because I had some problems but he knew what to do. I remember searching all over for a house location for a friend and loaning him 10 k which was my entire savings at the point. I remember killing birds for feathers in jehlom while running around looking for NPC escorts and accidentally killing a released pet bird causing me to get guard killed LOL I remember recalling into a bank after training with my guild. I had been repairing armor and weapons with my smith and fighting summoned animals to raise my skill. I got disconected and logged back on to continue killing my summoned animal unknown to me flagging me as a grey. Shortly after arriving in the bank a guy starts attacking me. I fight back but he was a little better . He looted my body and I got ressed and asked him what the heck? He just said I was gray and it was fair. He had no freaking idea why I was gray but whatever that's how the game works however a bunch of guys from the bank saw what happened and gave me a bunch of stuff in sympathy which made the whole experience more pleasant. I remember sitting around in various places hidden eaves dropping on other players bragging about the bad things they did to other players and thinking this game is going to hell because of players like them.

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah! I remember that too - som event suddnly NPC children running around - i have never seen children NPC's since than anymore!
I remember them well. I believe they were GM's PKing us. They were not just a monster. They were faster then our characters. They ran people down screen after screen as a real person would.

Today we can out run the fastest NPC monsters in the game but not these orphan children they casted faster, ran faster and hit harder then anything I have ever seen in the game.
(relative to the time frame of course (Our characters are stronger today))

L

Luccessi

Although I've long ago quit UO without regrets, there are many memories that remain strong and/or I still treasure.
  • I remember starting UO so that I could join some RL friends who had already been playing for a year or so with the intent of surprising them one day after getting started on a simple build, but was in turn startled by a counselor appearing next to my first character and chasing after me for about a minute trying to get my attention to help me.
  • I remember the multiple reverts that inevitably happened after a major publish and chuckle when I read about players in other games these days bawling about the short downtime if the game that they're playing has an emergency unscheduled update even though they lose nothing.
  • I remember when all of the statistics on Stratics were based purely on players spending time and energy testing and then reverse-engineering the play dynamics of the game.
  • I remember players saying "This is the last straw!" at UO:R and almost every release after that only to see them come back months later after being disappointed by whatever it was they left to go play.
  • I remember drama over the most absurd, idiotic, minute things.
  • I remember going through hundreds of bandages and reagents while acting as a rez station at some event that I don't remember.
  • I remember one day catching myself muttering something along the lines of "Vas Ort Flam, In Nox, Corp Por" at home. For no reason.
  • I remember participating in a series of treasure hunts with guildmates, noticing that we were being followed by somebody who didn't feel like joining in but just watch. Eventually getting that person to join us, later joining the guild and over time easily becoming my favourite UO player. I also remember that person's llama.
  • I remember storytelling at the Y.
  • I only vaguely remember the crafting system from before publish 15/16, whichever it was.
  • I remember killing cats almost daily to maintain my preferred karma level on one character.
  • I remember tagging along with NUB's DeathRage on many of his death hunts that wasn't considered a success unless everybody died multiple times.
  • I fondly remember Pluffy and McBob, amongst many others.
  • I remember deathrobe stacking to place objects at the desired height.
  • I remember when every profession was greeted by "[expletive] [profession]!" if they started to hunt in the same area that somebody else was in, or the same mobs.
  • I remember when I used to play all night only to realize that it was almost time to go to work.
  • For some reason, I remember somebody always handing out freshly baked cookies.
  • I remember a marble house in a snow/ice area decorated with literally hundreds of glacial staffs, most if not all farmed not bought.
  • I remember vendor bag art.
  • I remember groups of people camping a house that was about to collapse.
  • I remember having to equip a spellbook in order to cast.
  • I remember logging in with the intent of running something with friends only to realize that I can't bring that character yet because they're still going to be drunk and without mana for some time to come because of the drinking party the night before. I think this happened on more than one occassion. :tongue:
  • I remember the heartfelt condolences and sorrow whenever one of the UO community proved their mortality.
There are other memories not shared but there's no doubt that I've forgotten far more than I remember.

SinDee

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I only been playing uo from 05" ( Didnt have a PC or the money for a mmorpg ) But I really miss the music from back then my fav was the city of trsinc 's theme I used to spend alot of time there when after playing for awile stumble apon this large city

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I only been playing uo from 05" ( Didnt have a PC or the money for a mmorpg ) But I really miss the music from back then my fav was the city of trsinc 's theme I used to spend alot of time there when after playing for awile stumble apon this large city

I LOVE that one:
early UO music is so nice:
actually I made a CD for my favorites
Stones: