• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

10 Years - what marks this occasion? Vet rewards, gifts, events..

G

Ok well this might seem flame-y and tbh its more of a series of points than a question I expect an answer to, but I think it needs to be said (assuming it hasn't before).

I started to play seriously again about 2 weeks ago, at the start of this whole Moonglow thing. Aside from Europa's nice beergarden which was taken away to make room for this rift, I find it pretty cool. A few friends have reactivated accounts and, all in all, its the first time in about a year and a half that i've been seriously playing again.

About the time I stopped playing, primarily because of my second year at Uni taking up a lot of time, we got the 9th anniversary. This came in a rather nice box and gave us some fabulous gifts. The tokens went for a fair amount and I myself bought a few copies simply to get a whole load of items.

So when I think about the 10th anniversary now, I have changed my mind from "unimpressed" to "insulted". My mother, the hoarder she is, managed to get roughly 500 of these things and just hands them out now and then. Not only did customers have to pay for these tokens that we got with the 9th anniversary, but we didn't get anything specific for a 10th anniversary.

This is excuseable, perhaps, to some extents since the decoration items themselves are great and every player's house is improved by them. However it rather undermines the purchasing of the 9th anniversary, 8th, or even 7th anniversary collections.

But the worst part is that, for all the years that Ultima Online has been around, for all the box releases that there have been, a whole decade of existance is summed up by not a boxed release, not a huge marketting push or any effort that seems to try and draw players back, but by a gift box with a fireworks wand and two tokens. Which were to mark the 9th year of UO. It had a sickeningly similar feeling to a time that I received a birthday card from a close relative about a year late.

It would have been nice to have given us even just one special item that commemorated 10 years of UO's existence. Items obtained from dungeons can still be obtained so I am left with this feeling that UO's 10th anniversary came and went. Out of any anniversary or event that should be commemorated, I would have thought that not 7, 8 or 9 years but the 10th year of UO's continued existence would have been something to celebrate or release a copy of in the shops.

Finally, what about 10 year old vets? Every year, I am sure that the number of players decreases and with that the amount of vets. Surely there should be some reward for players who have been paying for 10 years of gametime, putting up with bugs that hinder gameplay, changes that they didn't ask for and what I would consider fairly poor customer service at times.

Overall I just find it sad and anti-climatic that the oldest running MMO didn't even celebrate it's 10th birthday properly. I am sure somebody will tell me that Magincia or something was to mark that, but to be honest the almost total destruction of a city that has existed in UO since the beginning doesn't scream out "Birthday". I am sure that the looting of pieces of the town and subsequently selling it on for millions to other players to mark the existance of the game and it's world has some sort of irony in it somewhere but it sort of masks the horrific neglect of what years ago I had been wondering about. Would there be a big event? The return of companions, counsellors or something wildly amazing. A whole load of bug fixes. Something to really try and get players back. Even the announcement of the closure of UO would have been dramatic and less anti-climatic than the passing of the birthday.

This rant has gone on for long enough but tl;dr do you think that the 10th anniversary of UO was under-emphasised?

G

10th Anniversary was the gift box plus 10th Anniversary Artifacts that drop in the Legacy dungeons (anti-Virtue ones in Tram and Fel) which consist of most of the Virtue Armor set (no cloak), Dragon's End, Jaana's Staff, Katrina's Crook, Ankh Pendant, Luck/UO Statue, Tapestry/World Map, a high resist Order Shield and High resist Chaos Shield.

G

So what, this is a year-long spawn?

These things aren't particularly valueable. And I would say that their desireability, rarity and in many cases use are limited, declining or very low.

The "10th Anniversary Sculpture" is about it. A UO symbol in a vase is really ALL that there is in-game with the word "10th Anniversary" on. But even then, the dungeon experience doesn't really have a particularly anniversary-like feel, especially considering that this has gone on for a long time already. Had it been a one-day only event, announced a month previous perhaps, dungeons all over UO would have been packed and these items would really have summed up the 10th anniversary, IMO.

G

It's the answer to the question being asked. If someone doesn't like said answer, that really isn't my problem.

They are still spawning (technically), but the spawn rate is so low that you'll probably make enough to buy two or three of the items at Luna prices before you get one in a drop.

Masuri

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The 10th anniversary was everything you said: an insult. The idea was recycled, the items were horrible (some of them duplicating other 'gifts'), the implementation was embarrassingly quiet for what ought to have been a grand celebration of the eldest MMO. Then they pulled the same garbage and worse at Xmas with more recycled junk. We said all that at the time, and were summarily shushed by the usual sycophants around here. Shushing doesn't give them any incentive to do better. And so: they don't.

At least when the AoS release tanked they made an attempt to make up for it with the +5s and the labeled clothes. They haven't even said mea culpa this time let alone ponied up something nice to thank us fools for sticking around through the last couple years of nothing.

I

imported_Desolation87

I found the heritage tokens quite useful. Still use them now and again. Oh and you must've missed the 'lag-tastic' fireworks. They were fun but man, did it make luna seriously laggy! Lol!

I

imported_blesh

Why does every cry and pancake and moan when they do something like this? i for one think its great! Besides, they didnt give out the shadow or crystal item tokens, or make everyone able to use the shadow and crystal house deco tile sets....

I'm sorry you cant sell your tokens for mad gold. Those of us who dont have money to waste on tons of pixel items thank the devs for giving them out a year later.

G

SURELY A RIDEABLE pOLAR bEAR IS ENOUGH BRAGGING RIGHTS FOR A 10 YEAR VET..what more do u want??????...mmmm Etheral player form too???...Really its bad enough a less than 3 year old player cant ride a ethy!!!, thank god for the chargers - kinda gives em a nice mount!!, Anything else may put any new players off from starting the game from scratch!!!

I

imported_Desolation87

Heh, the polar bears are soo cool. What I'd like to see is a ridable eve llama!!!

Go Eve llama!!

B

BadManiac

They even managed to negate any positive effect the 10th anniversary arty drops had on the populations in the legacy dungeons by reducing the drop rates so far that noone cares to get them any more. All our dear old dungeons are emtpy once again, as usual.
Increase the drop rate back to what it was when the event started, let players have a CHANCE at getting a complete set PLEASE.

At least then we could have something to remind us of the game we have been supporting for sometimes over 10 years.

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The 10th anniversary celebration was very minimal and a huge disappointment. It was probably the biggest blow to my faith in the future of UO.

G

Blesh - The issue isnt the celebration itself but the fact that for it's 10th birthday there wasn't anything SPECIAL and nothing memorable, certainly.

And THP - Polar bears are 9th year rewards.

I'll ignore the comment about selling the tokens for gold because I don't make a habit of selling commemorative or gift items. I'm not everyone and I don't always cry or pancake or moan. I do, however, think that something more should have been done for this particular occasion. Some people won't really mind or care what happens so long as they get something. Like I said, a one-day spawn or even a one-week of these items would have been better

The issue isn't that an event or occasion was under-rewarded or that I spent money on the gifts that everyone gets for free. This devaluation feature of UO goes back years - how about vials and flasks with glassblowing? It was just that such a big and proud occasion was relatively low-key for it's importance.

Emil Ispep

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am also on a UO-on phase... (quit job 3 weeks ago... then spring break...
and i go back to work at 3am tomorrow.) I've never understood why people insist that they are owed items for a birthday/anniversary... roots of greed maybe?

EA doesn't have to do anything special for the players, although they try to. I guess the virtue armor peices, and assorted weapons are your present.. but you have to buy or kill for them.

As far as 10-year veteran rewards go, it should be somthing decided upon by the community. (for once) Lets put some minds together and come up with a few different reward ideas, and take a vote on it... then submit the results to the devs... and then see how well Democracy works.