• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

10 years playing and never have i tamed....

S

Static

Okay so heres the deal.

I have played close to 10 years and never attempted or tried taming.

:gee:

I know, i know.

Should i start from stratch or should i go buy a adv char token and start there?

I'm going for it. IM GOING TO BE A TAMER!

Also if i could get some temp's aswell.

Lady mel Tamer would be perfect. PVM Tamp basic

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Static,

In all honesty, how you start really comes down to personal preference.

If you want a tamer that you could login straight off, tame some kitsune and go hunting, then the advanced char would suit you. You'd end up with a mage tamer template from that, which is a pretty standard and decent enough starting point. Where I think the advanced chars are a bit awkward is that you start with a lot of your skill points already trained which would slow down your gains. And if you don't want a mage tamer, you'd have to ask yourself whether it's worth paying that much just for taming.

It's not always a big deal, but you may want to say "I trained all the way from 0" or you might not care. That's another reason that might sway you one way or another. You may have soulstones to pull skills off an advanced tamer char and speed up gains etc etc.

In comparison, you could make the template you wanted from scratch and maximise your gains by training the hardest skills up first, while you're maxed out for GGS and normal gains, then add in other skills later.

As for templates, three good starters are the basic mage tamer, the stealth tamer and a disco tamer.

All would need taming, lore and vet and I'd suggest 110 in each if you want good control of the main pets. The 110 vet and lore give you a better vet capability and also boost your stable slots. (You get +1 stable slot for each skill when they hit GM, 110 and then 120)

After that, your mage tamer would likely add magery, eval and med. That's a basic general purpose template that you may tweak once you're using it, but it's quite easy to configure into various directions.

For a stealth mage, you'd have taming skills + hiding, stealth and magery. I have herding on my stealther for selecting and moving critters out of a spawn for taming. So I've dropped down my stealth to acommodate herding, and I have eval on a soulstone to swap over to. I find that template most versatile, because she's as good at finding new pets as she is at getting away from PKs in Fel. I haven't done peerless with her, but we've handed Doom and harrowers/champs fine, so it's adaptable. If I'm going somewhere dangerous it's my stealther I'll take.

The bard tamer is a good powerful template for PvM. I'd suggest tame, lore and vet then music and disco at 120 for maximum effectiveness and the rest in magery for recalling etc. You're a bit more exposed with the template because you need to stay near a disco'd mob and remain visible to maintain the effect, but a disco tamer can really take mobs down swiftly. Discoing your own pets can also be handy for training them.

Hope all of that helps you a little :)

Wenchy

P

Phaheela

Starting taming/lore/vet from purchased skill gives you time to get to know how your tamer will work & how pets work, vetting, bandi macro's etc and it helps you get into the swing of training your pets up before you take them out on the big hunts.

Its all down to how much time you want to put into your tamer.

S

Static

Well im going to start from scratch :)

I was thinking about a disco/Spellweave tamer

Just confused on the skill bases. I think i would like peace, but then i need music so... Im lost lol

S

Static

Thinking About....

120 Taming
120 Vet
120 Lore
120 Mage
120 Weave
120 Eval

With +14 MR (Same as 110 Med Right?)

U

uoBuoY

Well im going to start from scratch :)

I was thinking about a disco/Spellweave tamer

Just confused on the skill bases. I think i would like peace, but then i need music so... Im lost lol
I run 2 Tamer/Bards and I think a Tamer really needs a couple of SoulStones. Sometimes you want Peace while taming or for some crowd control. You almost always want Disco. When you tame an un-ridable pet you want Magery to gate to the stable.

This is a great calculator for figuring out what to tame to gain:
http://www.tamingarchive.com/main/whattotame.php?skill=98.2

And this tells you where to find the gain critters:
http://uo.stratics.com/hunters/index.shtml

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good to see you decided to start from scratch. :thumbup1:

You may want to consider keeping it simple and go with a Tamer/Mage/Peacer.

You can always either replace the Peace or stone it off.

Just start your Taming and Veterinary at 50

Animal Lore is passive.

Music + Peace is passive. (Discord can be raised in safety)

Magery + meditation/Focus is passive.

I looked at your Proposed temp and if your thinking Paralyze then fine but you may want to check around and see if they have resolved that issue on anything you would want to keep.

You can find the threads in this forum regarding the Paralyze and the Discordance issues.

S

Static

But isint it true you do not need Meditation if you have Max MR? (well max = 110 med?)

I think i really want Spellweaving though...... Man! IM CONFUSED!

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But isint it true you do not need Meditation if you have Max MR? (well max = 110 med?)

I think i really want Spellweaving though...... Man! IM CONFUSED!
You are probably right, I pulled that comment after reading MR as Mana Regeneration +14. It initially went in as Magic Resist.

I am going to look down that path as I would love to dump meditation.

S

Static

i just remember reading that... somewhere... i have been looking for it ill go cruise the mage fourms

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
According to my sources, with the new scaled returns on mana regeneration relative to focus or meditation, you would need 21 MR in order to simulate 110 meditation with items.

Which means that a template without meditation (mana recovery) and with spellweaving (notorious mana hog) isn't very practical.

Just do what the rest of us have done, taming, lore, vet, mage, med, weaving. No EI is needed, as you can do enough damage with mind blast or your pets.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep, think you're right there Farsight. I used to get by really easily with mana on my non med mages, now I need to be a lot more careful.

With spellweaving you really get through the mana if you use it regularly, which is a real git on a tight template :(

Wenchy

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just do what the rest of us have done, taming, lore, vet, mage, med, weaving. No EI is needed, as you can do enough damage with mind blast or your pets.
Except that if the OP or anyone else (me included) want to use Paralyze then they are going to need to find a way to include EvalInt.

I have been with some tamers that have been very effective with Paralyze. I just can not come up with a template that allows me to keep the basic skills I want and have an effective EvalInt.

I may just try various levels of Mana Regen on TC1 to see what level I would need to have to leave my Spell Casting at an effective level of use.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Para isn't a huge necessity though. Great for working the cu spawn quickly, but I can't say I've ever felt it a loss for taming much else. That's the only reason I still soulstone it across, unless I'm going for a champ or harrower hunt and want to be firing better ebolts :D

When I've used eval, it was my stealther swapping out her herding for eval, but I'd likely swap it for med or even vet if I was doing a longer taming trip. if you swap it for vet just to tame stuff at least you'd have med if you had it on the template already. But as I say, other than cu sidhe I don't stress over eval enough to keep it in the template all the time. I'd like to, sure, but soulstoning is managable enough.

Wenchy

Lady Arwen

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My tamer is my main char, and what I have on her is:
120 taming
120 lore
120 vet
115 peace
110 music
110 magery
I find peacing extremely useful when both taming and hunting. I couldnt imagine having my tamer any other way. Although I see where disco would be useful as well.

F

FishinFool

Yes. Peace taming is about as close to god mode as you can get in UO. Unfortunately it gets boring. Training discord is about as entertaining as training detect hidden though.

I'd recommend you start fresh. I was in a similar situation, had never tried taming and I've been playing since the doors first opened. Picked it up 2 years ago or so and really enjoyed it, never been one for the high-twitch response gaming so it actually suits me well.

Work your humility for a while, get used to what all of those fun, oft-ignored critters are capable of and don't get caught up with grinding.