• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

10 years+ first suspension

R

Rowdydude

just got my first suspension 48 hours for unattended macroing

Was working tailoring at Luna and went to fix me a plate of grub got distracted and when i got back moongate manor it was.

i guess i get what i deserve ---just thought it was good and bad

GOOD that they are actually monitoring this

bad that a first time offense is to remove players from the game during peak playing time in a game begging for players

oh well looks like i will play wow the rest of the weekend

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Grats.

Were you the guy standing there in the tailor shop with a pile of bandages under his feet?

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And… this was without a 3rd party program?

Did he thank you for playing Warhammer as well?

Sounds like another prime example of incompetence policing, considering all the real unattended scripters running around. Using crafting skill as it was designed doesn’t sound like a violation of anything… other then annoying people with tons and tons of rubbish all over the bank floor, and that’s not a violation either. Not that I know of.

R

Rowdydude

i was using uoassist and a paper clip

if unattended macroing in luna can get you suspended it would seem that every player training with a golem should be concerned

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Was working tailoring at Luna and went to fix me a plate of grub got distracted and when i got back moongate manor it was.

i guess i get what i deserve ---just thought it was good and bad
Sounds like another prime example of incompetence policing, considering all the real unattended scripters running around. Using crafting skill as it was designed doesn’t sound like a violation of anything… other then annoying people with tons and tons of rubbish all over the bank floor, and that’s not a violation either. Not that I know of.
Sorry but this sounds more like correct policing. Unattended macroing is illegal no matter how it's done *shrugs* While I could honestly care less if they allow it or not there is no reason to bash the GM's when they actually do their job correctly and bust folks for violating the TOS.

OP, sorry for your weekend vacation, sounds like your luck runs about like mine. That's the reason I dont do it, LOTS do it and never get caught, but I would be in the minority caught and suspended for it.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How is it marcoing when you are doing nothing wrong?

Granted, I don’t believe in UO Assist… and I’m wondering if the paper clip in question is a real one vs. a program. hehe.

THEY designed the crafting menus to have “Make Max” in them and it wasn’t all that long ago. Before, you had to sit clicking, wearing out your mouse for hours on end vs. a few clicks and going back to watch the show on TV.

I mean… I really love blind loyalty to the absurd and all… but come on.

If you play Atlantic, you see first hand the several companies using 3rd party scripts, stealing around, dropping books to adverting web sites that sell goods and services, for real money. I think that’s a little more “important” to police then someone working a crafting skill BY THE RULES. Seems we have the same 1-5 people abusing the books every single day. Game Masters can't be bothered with those I guess.

All people have to do to avoid silly punishments like this is craft in their own houses where no one is normally wondering around hidden looking for something to do.

And YEAH... the cheaters with the gholms and the pets? lol. Who does't love shutting down their sound when wondering around shopping? I mean, I would love to know how this isn't a problem when many of these guys are doing it dusk to dawn, unattended.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sorry EvilPixieworks, but he was doing something wrong.
Using a uoa macro is fine
saving your fingers by using a paperclip is fine
leaving the room to go fix grub is not. You MUST be at the keyboard.
I would imagine someone saw all the bandages at his feet and reported him.

R

Rowdydude

Make no mistake I am at fault I have been around long enough to know how things work in our world. My only question is? Is a ban an appropriate solution?

In a game that is begging for players i feel unless the action is detrimental to the shard i would try not to use what basically is a death penalty. If just one of those banned people dont return the shard as a whole suffers.

How about (if possible)
No gains in the skill marcoing for a specfic period
double resource cost both to make an item and to purchase resources from npcs
tempory red
diminished returns -- the more you gain in a time period the slower the gains
????

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
You both bring up valid points. And like I said, in all honesty I don't care if they allow unattended macro'ing or not. But along the lines of what Petra said the rules we are under at this time say you have to be at your keyboard. It does suck suffering the consequences of any action when you see tens or hundreds getting away with the same action without any recourse. But the rl jails are FULL of people in that same situation.

Some of the punishments you mention would be fine I guess. However, they would not enable the team to really push serious offenders out of the game faster. I guess doing something along the lines you suggest would be fine for a first time offender. Maybe they should go a little easy on someone the first time *shrugs* ... But for me I would rather see the team focusing on what they have been very focused on lately... New Content, instead of trying to write something like that in.

Either way, between WOW and the healthy debate here, I hope you were not too bored this weekend :thumbup1:

*edit*

By the way... Welcome to Atlantic, where some folks report ANYTHING at all. And with a population larger than 5 folks like Origin :D, the :eyes: are always out. Just so's ya know for the future :)

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...But the rl jails are FULL of people in that same situation.
Frankly, I think it's a little sad… this silly suspension. I think it's a little funny you made this comparison, because if we had just 1 “police officer” patrolling each of the populated shards… crime would go down at a dramatic rate. Even if it was just 1 guy’s job to patrol the non-Asian shards. I’m sure the staff is quite aware where the trouble always pops up. These gold sellers, for example, leave their books in the exact same places… on multiple shards. I’ve seen them in passing, shard trades and all that. People harassing newbies at New Haven… leading spawn. I mean, it was a lot worse back when I was new, over 10 years ago. Then, they responded right away… with a passion for punishing the punks. Still, you had to warn all your newer/inexperienced friends of these same tricks so they could avoid them too.

I saw some kind of new bug a few days ago, where the home owner account couldn’t re-deed a vet reward hanging skeleton. I had only placed them all of 3 hours before and couldn’t remove them. I paged for help… then, went back into construction mode while I waited. It was only for a second. Coming out of construction mode, the skeletons were able to be re-deeded! Before I could cancel the page, the GM responded with red text on my screen. Why don’t they ever show up anymore? I was very thankful for the quick response! Don’t get me wrong. Other times I’ve reported scripters… time and time and time again… and they never do anything.

I say it's a matter of priority. Either they are told not to respond to pages about criminals… or Rowdydude got tagged by someone who was out for brownie points or really didn’t care it was an innocent mistake. We haven't had GM Reviews for a long time… and I know it was only 1 day, but you should be able to explain yourself. Logically.

Tell the truth, I kind of miss the odd-ball personalities these newer GMs had when they showed up to your page. Clearly, some were just learning the game. Others had no clue about the basics. It was funny sometimes. Also for the record, I’ve never been suspended or had been questioned about my perfectly legit play. One time, I did have a problem with some big-time jerk neighbor… that turned out to be a GM, but he was harassing me in game as a player, just after AoS. Then he tried threatening me in his official capacity for his personal vendetta. After reporting him to GM Reviews… I don’t think he lasted all that much longer. No way to know. You have to LOVE the game to be a proper staffer, no matter what level it is. Not be a bully, drunk with power. Don’t we have enough of that in real life?

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There just needs to be a more effective system of punishment. Use the walls of Luna with shackles. That charcter gets time out wall art game deco mode. Before that character is released to do anything, a time must be spent logged in before release. Time based on account record. GM works a shard issue, after, they do a pass and review of detainees. Fail to respond and the character is deleted. If your on the wall logged in and not there then no excuse for where did fluffy go? Active shards have more GM calls and most likely have more wall deco. GMs system could have random checks alarm also. Shackles can be good place for those that need a chat gag and time out.

Untill we have our own active team of UO GMs policing and rescueing players quickly. NM. This kind of thinking was needed over 9 years ago when they looked the other way to have high sub count. They looked back and found a gorilla in the room. They acted towards a little cheating like a little pregnant, and up with a bouncing bundle of honest players quiting.

S

sherkborg

There whole policing system is a joke.

When I page over straight blantant hackers and scriptors and cant get a GM to do anything, yet a simple person macroing skill gets banned? Its pretty pathedic and is exactly why UO has little population.

The GMs dont exist. Rules are enforced only on rare occasions so you cant even say afk macroing isnt allowed. I cant prove it is, I can afk macro all day in front of luna and not get any GM notices yet one person does? I macroed my bushido and swordsmanship up for 2 days straight and never had a complaint.

When it comes to important stuff the game and its masters will let everyone down and just ban a random innocent. They should honestly just say they no longer police the game. That way we could atleast fend for ourselfs. I infact spawn lured and killed a macroer today. Thats more justice then any sad excuse of a GM has done today.