• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

10,000,000, plus

E

Erastus

So WOW are boasting 10 mil plus members. Just curious to know how many UO is bringing in this day. I watched a friend who quit UO for WOW a few months ago. The graphics are amazing but the gameplay I feel is lacking. Maybe that's because I only spent about an hour watching him play. Anyway, I'm just wanting to know how many we have in our Army. I've searched the net for answers to no avail.

G

i cant tell you numbers or statistics.

Atlantic is pretty full loads of people around , trading , selling and buying is loads around.

Now i been touring some of the other shards latly and its just unreal how empty they are. open 18x18 plots everywhere.

Alagos Galadrim

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know how accurate/reliable it is, but I found one source quoting approximately 135,000 subscribers as of May 2006 with 70,000 of those being in Japan. It also said UO's peak was in 2003 with around 250,000 subscribers. Again - I didn't put any effort into that research so I don't know if it is reliable info or not. I was surprised because I always thought UO was somewhat of a leader in online RPG's until the last couple of years.

As far as gameplay - I tried WoW and wasn't impressed. It just felt like any other fantasy video game where you started out and quests led you on your way. I felt like you had to follow the prelaid quest plan to advance and didn't have much room to go your own way. The graphics were definately much more impressive, but I still like my 2d UO. I haven't found anything else that offers such an open world with such an overall variety in what you can be, what you can do, customization (houses and characters, etc..) - and the community interaction seems to take place so much smoother on UO than anything I've seen. Everyone has their own preferences - but UO will always be my 1st.