• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Vanishing Paroxysmus' Swamp Dragon

Lord Malachi

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Does anyone even do in game support anymore?? I've been sitting get here waiting now for over 3 hours for this issue. I was in Twisted Weald today with some guild mates killing Dread Horn, wasn't paying attention to my health and died. As soon as I died, my swamp dragon totally disappeared, leaving no corpse, no followers in my windows, and was not in the zone. Checked the stable also just to see if it might have went there for some strange reason, but no luck. This is twice now in the past 2 weeks this has happened, once on another character, and now this one.

HELP PLEEEEEASE! I don't want to farm cheif jabba the hut for another year for a new mount. :(

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

yars

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
known issue,had it happen to me 2x, apparently not good enough for the bug list

Good Grief

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
This is way more important than 90% of the "bugs" that were part of the publish
Yeah....I know there are alot of players who cared about retrieving garbage cans and whether they could dye a runebook a certain color, etc, but I don't think we're alone in wishing they would actually work on real bugs, some of which have been around forever, are game stopping and cause people to quit.

Lucy of Kenton

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ive lost two but mine were both in prism and im afraid unless the gm can see the corpse they will never replace an item

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not saying they shouldn't have fixed this years ago. But bug importance is almost always relative. But being pissy about when one's own preferred bugs aren't fixed before ones that relate to housing is....Well I guess on Stratics its par for the course. But that doesn't make it less of a ****ty thing to do.

If they ever do fix this bug I can't wait for the inevitable complaints about how it should be risk vs reward and having the pet dispelled is part of the risk and was somehow important in PvP. It's the kind of thing we won't hear about until it's fixed but that we will hear about it is pretty much guaranteed.

-Galen's player

Widow Maker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Long long LONG time bug ever since they came out. Don't even bother paging a GM. Go get or buy another is your ONLY option. I lost maybe a dozen or more over the years.

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They DID fix it at one point though.
PUB 40
Summoned bonded pets (for example Paroxysmus' Swamp Dragon) can no longer be dispelled by creatures such as Dull Copper Elementals

At the time they stated pre-patch ones would still be able to be dispelled. I lost mine just before in the ophidian invasion. Either they didn't fix it but said they did, they broke it again, it's a different bug, or you had an old pre-patch one.

Orgional Farimir

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not saying they shouldn't have fixed this years ago. But bug importance is almost always relative. But being pissy about when one's own preferred bugs aren't fixed before ones that relate to housing is....Well I guess on Stratics its par for the course. But that doesn't make it less of a ****** thing to do.

If they ever do fix this bug I can't wait for the inevitable complaints about how it should be risk vs reward and having the pet dispelled is part of the risk and was somehow important in PvP. It's the kind of thing we won't hear about until it's fixed but that we will hear about it is pretty much guaranteed.

-Galen's player
No the problem is EA's theory of "If you can't dazzle them with brillance, baffle them with BS." That is exactly what they did with this publish. Instead of fixing the major bugs, like this, player health bars in CC, and others, the produce a HUGE list of small and easy to fix bugs that very few (if any) players complaine about in hopes that we are impressed by the quanity and not the quality.

Sadly it seems to have worked.

Widow Maker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They DID fix it at one point though.
PUB 40
Summoned bonded pets (for example Paroxysmus' Swamp Dragon) can no longer be dispelled by creatures such as Dull Copper Elementals

At the time they stated pre-patch ones would still be able to be dispelled. I lost mine just before in the ophidian invasion. Either they didn't fix it but said they did, they broke it again, it's a different bug, or you had an old pre-patch one.
Never had one ever get dispelled myself. Most all of mine simply went poof on a dismount/death in PvP. There for a micro second and then gone forever... was a real pancake when it was a dismount in PvP...you had about enough time to say "Oh F@#$" upon not seeing it in your pack and then the screen goes black and white. Learned to not worry about it anymore after the first couple and several hours wasted with GMs. Just go get another one out of storage. Always kept several in statue form as back-ups. Do not rely on the GM's for any assistance at all. Waste of time.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No the problem is EA's theory of "If you can't dazzle them with brillance, baffle them with BS." That is exactly what they did with this publish. Instead of fixing the major bugs, like this, player health bars in CC, and others, the produce a HUGE list of small and easy to fix bugs that very few (if any) players complaine about in hopes that we are impressed by the quanity and not the quality.

Sadly it seems to have worked.
I actually heard several people over the years complaining about at least some of those.

What you mean is: This was not your list. These were not your bugs.

Most of them weren't my bugs either, honestly.

But I'm not rolling onto Stratics to whine about it.

-Galen's player

Orgional Farimir

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I actually heard several people over the years complaining about at least some of those.

What you mean is: This was not your list. These were not your bugs.

Most of them weren't my bugs either, honestly.

But I'm not rolling onto Stratics to whine about it.

-Galen's player

First off no one is whining here so get off your high horse.

Second some of the "fixes" were not even bugs.

For exampe:
  • The Ossian Grimoire can now be dyed using Tokuno Dyes
  • Tailors on Siege Perilous will no longer sell Flax
  • The Mythic Character token can now be used to increase the Spellweaving Skill if the player is eligible

And more fixes were only visual and does not have an effect on game play such as:
  • Female Guards will no longer spawn with mannish features
  • Vines will no longer spawn in the water when they are spawned by the Vesper Museum
  • Ethereal Swamp Dragons will match regular swamp dragons when retouched with the retouching tool

And sadly some of the "bugs" they fixed are bugs that didn't exist until the Dev's got their hands into something and randomly messed up another, unrelated aspect of the game.

All I am saying is if the Devs are going to have a HUGE bug fix publish they need to fix bugs that affect the game play and not non bugs or only visual bugs, but sadly that seems above their pay grade.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First off no one is whining here so get off your high horse.

Second some of the "fixes" were not even bugs.

For exampe:
  • The Ossian Grimoire can now be dyed using Tokuno Dyes
  • Tailors on Siege Perilous will no longer sell Flax
  • The Mythic Character token can now be used to increase the Spellweaving Skill if the player is eligible
And more fixes were only visual and does not have an effect on game play such as:
  • Female Guards will no longer spawn with mannish features
  • Vines will no longer spawn in the water when they are spawned by the Vesper Museum
  • Ethereal Swamp Dragons will match regular swamp dragons when retouched with the retouching tool
And sadly some of the "bugs" they fixed are bugs that didn't exist until the Dev's got their hands into something and randomly messed up another, unrelated aspect of the game.

All I am saying is if the Devs are going to have a HUGE bug fix publish they need to fix bugs that affect the game play and not non bugs or only visual bugs, but sadly that seems above their pay grade.

Again, all you're really saying is that this wasn't your list.

To say the Ossian Grimoire thing was not a bug is disingenuous. The Tokuno Dyes were intended at the time to dye artifacts and enhanced items. The Grimoire is by most I'm aware of considered an artifact. Hence, bug. The visual thing, well how often have we seen people complain that it's the visuals that keep people out of UO? Granted I doubt the particular fixes you speak of are obstacles to anyone! But if you look at how you phrased your message, it's clear from your language that you're committing yourself to objecting to any purely visual/graphical bug fix. Presumably this'll include, say, thing that happens where when you hold an axe sometimes the graphic shows you punching your foe rather than hitting it with the axe. And that particular visual but was once cited by a Stratics poster of a reason why his gaming friends wouldn't pop onto UO with him. Stuff like female guards spawning with mannish features can destroy the spell of immersion. And while you may not find immersion terribly important, immersion is the key to the future of the game. We cannot match competitors for gameplay or graphics but we can on immersion, story, RP, flexibility, housing, and other features.

Housing. Housing bugs were cited in this thread by some as points of criticism for the team fixing. "Who cares about housing-related bugs." Oh, I don't know, the many in the game who like the housing feature and devote considerable amounts of time to design and decorating and who cite housing as an important and unique feature of UO?

At the end of the day your criticisms amount to "these weren't the bugs I wanted fixed." To say "the post-publish bugs show that the bug spring was poorly handled" is a valid criticism. To say "this bug spring wasn't big enough to be called a sprint" is a valid criticism. But to say "the bug sprint sucked because they weren't the bugs I wanted fixed" is not.

For the most part, they weren't the bugs I wanted fixed either. I, however, am not the only one playing the game.

-Galen's player

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I lost my Paroxy Swampy not long ago to same issue. Was in Shame doing Vortex and my swampy just disappeared.
After a couple of days paging different gm's I was finally told they realized it was an issue but he was lost forever and they could not replace anything ingame. Mine was even still attached the his crystal ball :(

Widow Maker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I lost my Paroxy Swampy not long ago to same issue. Was in Shame doing Vortex and my swampy just disappeared.
After a couple of days paging different gm's I was finally told they realized it was an issue but he was lost forever and they could not replace anything ingame. Mine was even still attached the his crystal ball :(
That is what I got too Goldie..

So I lost my Paroxymus Mount to day and paged a GM. GM we understand how losing something in game is very upsetting, but we can not fix issues with lost houses, pets, or boats in the game. Well what the hell good are you? What do you actually do besides sit there and respond to in game issues with a automated text. This is an ongoing bug that has been around forever. GET OFF YOUR LAZY BONES AND FIX IT!!!!

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Bleak @Kyronix @Mesanna @Misk please fix.

Treat "it came from a statue" pets in exactly the same way as "it was tamed from the wild" in every way post-bonding. Remove the special case code that makes the "from a statue" go poof, because it's misfiring sometimes. We're also seeing complaints from people who lost a Windrunner.

Also, please get rid of any code that makes a pet go feral other than "petname release"; having a pet sit there and not obey commands is punishment enough for spamming commands or forgetting to feed.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've lost 3 and gave up a long time ago. I just use the regular ones, I have 4 of them and if one dies I just grab another and then rez the dead one later. Besides, I like the added damage eater of the normal swampie.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I lost one of the undead horses and ever since am very leery of pets that come from statues... hence my serious trepidation regarding Tritons... This issue needs resolved and we need to stop losing our pets from stupid game mechanics.

I'm still broken hearted over my pink hiryu going awol on me just 5 min out of stable and fed.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Sometimes pets die. I learned this with a fish at a very young age. I have no sympathy for anyone that loses a pet of any sort. I stand with the GMs when I say, "get over it." They are easy enough to come by. Go get a new one. It was a mistake to have pets bond in the first place.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Sometimes pets die. I learned this with a fish at a very young age. I have no sympathy for anyone that loses a pet of any sort. I stand with the GMs when I say, "get over it." They are easy enough to come by. Go get a new one. It was a mistake to have pets bond in the first place.
what an idiotic post.
poorly thought out and execution was lacking.
i give it a 1.5/10

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
what an idiotic post.
poorly thought out and execution was lacking.
i give it a 1.5/10
Poorly thought out and lacking execution... Sure. Idiotic... Nah. People need to lose stuff. I stand by this sentiment. People have too much stuff and they cry when it needs to be replaced. I have no sympathy for them... Period. I get that it's a bug and not intended but they always come here and cry about it or page a GM expecting to have their stuff replaced. I agree with the policy of not replacing things. @Parnoc had this happen and found a solution that works for him. He didn't cry about it, he found a solution.

I remember when a pet died, it was dead. I understand that with the perceived value of pets these days that people wouldn't invest time and gold training them if they died permanently. I still think that there should be some sort of consequence to letting your pet get killed beyond the meager skill loss. This bug seems to offer at least some risk of loss for tamers, which is greatly needed.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
lost 3 of those swampies, 2 at dreadhorn and another I forgot where. the dreadhorn bug has been reported many times but never fixed. I will never buy those swampies again until fixed. it seems to happen when u die fighting dread horn.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Poorly thought out and lacking execution... Sure. Idiotic... Nah. People need to lose stuff. I stand by this sentiment. People have too much stuff and they cry when it needs to be replaced. I have no sympathy for them... Period. I get that it's a bug and not intended but they always come here and cry about it or page a GM expecting to have their stuff replaced. I agree with the policy of not replacing things. @Parnoc had this happen and found a solution that works for him. He didn't cry about it, he found a solution.

I remember when a pet died, it was dead. I understand that with the perceived value of pets these days that people wouldn't invest time and gold training them if they died permanently. I still think that there should be some sort of consequence to letting your pet get killed beyond the meager skill loss. This bug seems to offer at least some risk of loss for tamers, which is greatly needed.
People quit over this... and the kind of quitting that makes you never come back... It needs to stop.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
People quit over this... and the kind of quitting that makes you never come back... It needs to stop.
The game is rather unforgiving, that's something that I like about it. I know my opinions are unpopular, but hopefully they give y'all something to think about. In my opinion, this bug isn't really that big a deal. You lose a pet, you put on your big girl undies, and you get another one, or not. The bug doesn't really happen that often anyway. Yeah, they should probably fix it, but not by making it impossible for pets to go wild. If I'm around and I see your pet go wild, I'm going to kill it so that you have to tame another one. It's just my playstyle, it's the kind of thing that I do. It hasn't happened yet, but it's definitely on my list of lifetime goals and I would hate for the devs to take that chance away from me. If someone is so sensitive that they quit playing the game over something like this, they probably weren't that into the game in the first place and it was only a matter of time before they quit anyway.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The game is rather unforgiving, that's something that I like about it. I know my opinions are unpopular, but hopefully they give y'all something to think about. In my opinion, this bug isn't really that big a deal. You lose a pet, you put on your big girl undies, and you get another one, or not. The bug doesn't really happen that often anyway. Yeah, they should probably fix it, but not by making it impossible for pets to go wild. If I'm around and I see your pet go wild, I'm going to kill it so that you have to tame another one. It's just my playstyle, it's the kind of thing that I do. It hasn't happened yet, but it's definitely on my list of lifetime goals and I would hate for the devs to take that chance away from me. If someone is so sensitive that they quit playing the game over something like this, they probably weren't that into the game in the first place and it was only a matter of time before they quit anyway.
IMO it is a big deal if it causes people to rage quit... If that happens you lose those players for good .... they don't come back and at the present time we can't afford to be having people leave that way.
And yes it DOES happen that often... but IMO once is too often... 1 per person is TOO OFTEN...

They quit because IMO they are more into the game than you are... and pixels matter to them... they also probably spent more on the pixels than you do... therefore losing those people is costing the game far more than if they lost folk like you.

dingomate

Seasoned Veteran
Paroxysmus dragons are only 50mil but I feel bad for someone who has invested their time and money into scrolling out tamable pets. It's ridiculous. It's a known issue and GMs respond with generic messages that are PR oriented. Useless bunch of people....

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Paroxysmus dragons are only 50mil but I feel bad for someone who has invested their time and money into scrolling out tamable pets. It's ridiculous. It's a known issue and GMs respond with generic messages that are PR oriented. Useless bunch of people....
Only 50M... that's 50M flushed for no reason... And getting one isn't that easy. Not everyone has the "luxury" of running to Atl everytime they lose their paroxy...

dingomate

Seasoned Veteran
I ain't happy about losing 100m lol believe me. I'm on the same page as you but relatively speaking it's a minor loss compared to someone losing a pet worth 200-300m. An avoidable loss given proper game mechanics

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
IMO it is a big deal if it causes people to rage quit... If that happens you lose those players for good .... they don't come back and at the present time we can't afford to be having people leave that way.
And yes it DOES happen that often... but IMO once is too often... 1 per person is TOO OFTEN...

They quit because IMO they are more into the game than you are... and pixels matter to them... they also probably spent more on the pixels than you do... therefore losing those people is costing the game far more than if they lost folk like you.
I love how you pretend to care if people quit... It's cute. But then you post about how everything is such a grind and how disgusted you are with the game. Then you talk about how great some other game is and how you have almost quit playing UO altogether. Do you not see how your comments could prevent someone from even attempting to play? How is that any different from anything that the devs or myself could do to ruin the game? The main difference is that I don't pretend to care. The game will be fine.

I do what I do and I have no sympathy for people who lose things for any reason. I have had a few players threaten to quit because of how I choose to play. If anyone has actually quit over it... I don't know... Maybe... Not my problem. My playstyle has been nerfed to oblivion, nobody would disagree with that. Do I come here and complain about it? No. I find ways around it and encourage anyone else to join me. I try to promote the idea that the game is more about community and finding a way to enjoy it without having to have all the fancy pixel junk or that the issues with the game are anyone else's problem but my own.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I love how you pretend to care if people quit... It's cute. But then you post about how everything is such a grind and how disgusted you are with the game. Then you talk about how great some other game is and how you have almost quit playing UO altogether. Do you not see how your comments could prevent someone from even attempting to play? How is that any different from anything that the devs or myself could do to ruin the game? The main difference is that I don't pretend to care. The game will be fine.

I do what I do and I have no sympathy for people who lose things for any reason. I have had a few players threaten to quit because of how I choose to play. If anyone has actually quit over it... I don't know... Maybe... Not my problem. My playstyle has been nerfed to oblivion, nobody would disagree with that. Do I come here and complain about it? No. I find ways around it and encourage anyone else to join me. I try to promote the idea that the game is more about community and finding a way to enjoy it without having to have all the fancy pixel junk or that the issues with the game are anyone else's problem but my own.
And you can say whatever you like but a team that can't even spell is seriously a problem... They want respect from me they earn it... not by putting something out that is blatantly misspelled and seriously unprofessional. And this happens over and over... Pale vs Pail... BIG difference. It's things like that which just show that to them the game has become a paycheck nothing more... and even then there seems to be no love for the game anymore. It's a job and they just do it without care. And that may sound harsh to you or whoever but I don't care... I had a passion for UO... and they are killing it and it irks me.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
And you can say whatever you like but a team that can't even spell is seriously a problem... They want respect from me they earn it... not by putting something out that is blatantly misspelled and seriously unprofessional. And this happens over and over... Pale vs Pail... BIG difference. It's things like that which just show that to them the game has become a paycheck nothing more... and even then there seems to be no love for the game anymore. It's a job and they just do it without care. And that may sound harsh to you or whoever but I don't care... I had a passion for UO... and they are killing it and it irks me.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the devs are competent or that they are doing a great job at all. I'm merely pointing out the fact that you pretend to care about people quitting with one hand and **** all over the game with the other. Yeah, there are bugs that should be fixed, including this one, but most of the player's idea of fixing them is to make it so bad things never happen to anyone which affects how I play so I am against it.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the devs are competent or that they are doing a great job at all. I'm merely pointing out the fact that you pretend to care about people quitting with one hand and **** all over the game with the other. Yeah, there are bugs that should be fixed, including this one, but most of the player's idea of fixing them is to make it so bad things never happen to anyone which affects how I play so I am against it.
Well said! I literally agree with all your points here. That said, go easy... you don't want to go hurting a certain someone's feelings and have them report you because you question their constant complaining and constant flip-flopping.... :D

bourne

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Petey, you and the people here treating this sooo casually must be very RICH, and I mean billionaires, regardless of your image as a poor penniless thief. Just for that if you come to Atl Fel some time I will definitely Pk you. I dont PK, I pvp, but I will make an exception in your case. Reason?
==Paroxies are nearly impossible to get.
==If by chance 1/1000,000 you find someone selling, you will have to cough up upwards from 50-100M at the least, if you are lucky.
==To get one or own one usually you need to devote MANY hours of work. And this is what HURTS. Many hours of work and commitment lost, permanently due to not a fault of your own, just a f***ng BUG, or game error, something that was not planned or intended.

By the way, I respect a lot of your thoughts/philosophies, but here is where you are wrong. You are supporting a game bug, that the Devs have been unwilling/unable to fix for YEARS now, mostly due to their callousness/ineptitude to deal with this.

I don't mind the stealing and stalking etc. It is fine, it is in the gameplay and in your thoughts/mindset ok. But to support a BUG that devastates people's gameplay, upsets players grievously, and really blasts away hours of work to get one of these Paroxies, is unacceptable.

Show some support to your fellow UO players, other than respecting them enough to stalk/steal from them!

Anonymous UOPlayer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
For players like him, other players hurting is the point. Why is it so hard to understand? It's not new.

Petey, you and the people here treating this sooo casually must be very RICH, and I mean billionaires, regardless of your image as a poor penniless thief. Just for that if you come to Atl Fel some time I will definitely Pk you. I dont PK, I pvp, but I will make an exception in your case. Reason?
==Paroxies are nearly impossible to get.
==If by chance 1/1000,000 you find someone selling, you will have to cough up upwards from 50-100M at the least, if you are lucky.
==To get one or own one usually you need to devote MANY hours of work. And this is what HURTS. Many hours of work and commitment lost, permanently due to not a fault of your own, just a f***ng BUG, or game error, something that was not planned or intended.

By the way, I respect a lot of your thoughts/philosophies, but here is where you are wrong. You are supporting a game bug, that the Devs have been unwilling/unable to fix for YEARS now, mostly due to their callousness/ineptitude to deal with this.

I don't mind the stealing and stalking etc. It is fine, it is in the gameplay and in your thoughts/mindset ok. But to support a BUG that devastates people's gameplay, upsets players grievously, and really blasts away hours of work to get one of these Paroxies, is unacceptable.

Show some support to your fellow UO players, other than respecting them enough to stalk/steal from them!

bourne

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
For players like him, other players hurting is the point. Why is it so hard to understand? It's not new.
For your information "players like him" etc, Pete is a well-respected both player and commentator here, and his views reflect pretty objective views of the game in general.
You just got to read through in between the lines, as scarry as they might be.
In a way Pete is out collective "other" conscience of sorts, and we all enjoy his stealing and also his wise inputs in Stratics.
Pete's gameplay is well accepted by most of us and respected. Pete is ok. His profession in the game is a Thief, a well touted profession forever we know of. I suspect Pete in RL is probably the nicest person you will ever meet.

But we cannot accept supporting a bug in the game like this. I am sure he went overboard with this one. Paroxies are useful for meleers, and so are pets we have devoted huge amount of time and effort to work up to snuff. They should NOT go poof for no reason, in unintended fashion.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Well... Let me just start by saying that I am truly flattered to log in on a Sunday to hear comments like these:

I respect a lot of your thoughts/philosophies
Pete is a well-respected both player and commentator here, and his views reflect pretty objective views of the game in general.
we all enjoy his stealing and also his wise inputs in Stratics
I suspect Pete in RL is probably the nicest person you will ever meet.
But here is where you got me all wrong:

you and the people here treating this sooo casually must be very RICH, and I mean billionaires
Many hours of work and commitment lost, permanently due to not a fault of your own, just a f***ing BUG, or game error, something that was not planned or intended.
But we cannot accept supporting a bug in the game like this.
And.... Since I am going crazy with quotes today, Here is where I disagree:

I get that it's a bug and not intended but they always come here and cry about it or page a GM expecting to have their stuff replaced.
Yeah, they should probably fix it, but not by making it impossible for pets to go wild.
Yeah, there are bugs that should be fixed, including this one, but most of the player's idea of fixing them is to make it so bad things never happen to anyone
And.... Because my adored followers are always looking for new content from me, I shall leave you with this:

I get it. I know that you feel your time playing a video game is precious and when you lose something like one of these dragons, it hurts. But look at the bright side, now you have something to do for a while as you try to get another one. As I said before, this is a bug, it should be fixed. My main issue is coming to Stratics and seeing this on the top of the boards. Is this the kind of content that makes people want to play UO? No, it only serves to damage the reputation of the game. A new or returning player might visit Stratics while deciding if the game is worth playing and come across this. The first thing they are going to think is, "oh, this game has a bug that will cause me to lose stuff. Perhaps I should play a different game." There are proper channels for submitting bug reports, yet players still chose to come here, not to get dev attention, but only to solicit sympathy from other players. My comments making light of this bug serve to make new and returning players understand that this doesn't happen all the time and also... Just maybe... Someone will be like "I am going to post something to get imaginary internet sympathy points... Ahh never mind... Stinky Pete will probably just come and call me a sissy using his big words and well thought out arguments." So @bourne there you have it, I do agree that this is a bug that needs to be fixed, but I also do not care that you or anyone else feels like playing a video game for hours and hours and hours to get some lame pixel junk is some sort of punishment. The time that you spend playing should be the reward and the pixel junk is just the icing on the cake.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My main issue is coming to Stratics and seeing this on the top of the boards. Is this the kind of content that makes people want to play UO? No, it only serves to damage the reputation of the game. A new or returning player might visit Stratics while deciding if the game is worth playing and come across this. The first thing they are going to think is, "oh, this game has a bug that will cause me to lose stuff. Perhaps I should play a different game." There are proper channels for submitting bug reports, yet players still chose to come here, not to get dev attention, but only to solicit sympathy from other players.
This is how the Mods control the official boards. But many posters just do not understand so they complain the mods are too tough and do not care.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
This is how the Mods control the official boards. But many posters just do not understand so they complain the mods are too tough and do not care.
Exactly why I don't post there. Most of my initial posts are aimed at rooting out this type of behavior. The official forums have mods for that. Not that I want the mods here to do anything different as they have been nothing but kind to me. Plus I like the dark theme here, it makes me feel more at home.

bourne

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Exactly why I don't post there. Most of my initial posts are aimed at rooting out this type of behavior. The official forums have mods for that. Not that I want the mods here to do anything different as they have been nothing but kind to me. Plus I like the dark theme here, it makes me feel more at home.
Pete, there are a number of players that have approached the Devs about this problem in both remote and recent past. Both about the Paroxies and the other Ethies, and even tamed pets poofing unpredictably. I don't blame them to post where there is an ear there to listen to their pain. Not everyone is rich and losing the Paroxy is pretty painful for them. Being a dexer/melee player, I know how bad this would hurt. Best solution is not to use the Parixy and use armored swampie in my opinion. Also working for a living and not having 20 hours/week to blow on a video game, makes ithis even worse. Frankly, I doubt that there is interest by the team to fix this, and also think that there may be a great deal of technical difficulty to fix it. Not sure but one way might be to disallow in the code the "wild" status from all statuette-born creatures. I suspect the "wild" state maybe a universal variable for all pet type entities.
By the way, sadly most new players I talked to don't even know of Stratics, only some of the returning players do, and occasionally post with us.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I don't blame them to post where there is an ear there to listen to their pain.
I do. I have explained why.

Not everyone is rich and losing the Paroxy is pretty painful for them.
That just gives them a goal to work towards doesn't it.

Best solution is not to use the Parixy and use armored swampie in my opinion.
Now you're thinking!

most new players I talked to don't even know of Stratics
That's probably why they're playing UO instead of some other game.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My main issue is coming to Stratics and seeing this on the top of the boards. Is this the kind of content that makes people want to play UO? No, it only serves to damage the reputation of the game. A new or returning player might visit Stratics while deciding if the game is worth playing and come across this. The first thing they are going to think is, "oh, this game has a bug that will cause me to lose stuff. Perhaps I should play a different game." There are proper channels for submitting bug reports, yet players still chose to come here, not to get dev attention, but only to solicit sympathy from other players.
But one needs to also understand the frustration of players who, week after week, month after month, year after year, report always the same one bug or see it having been reported by other fellow players, and not see it as fixed, yet....

At that point, some players can no longer stand waiting and waiting and waiting some more and post it all over the place in the hope, perhaps, that spreading out the knowledge of the existance of that bug (and also to WARN other players to try, as much as possible, to avoid getting hit by that bug), which they really want to see as fixed, might, somehow, finally get it be fixed....

Some bugs might be newly reported, but some, are old, VERY old and, yet, still there, doing all of their damage....

Ain't it understandable that patience in some players might have a limit and there is only so much waiting that a given player might endure before they have enough and become very vocal in wanting to see that particular bug be fixed ?

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
But one needs to also understand the frustration of players who, week after week, month after month, year after year, report always the same one bug or see it having been reported by other fellow players, and not see it as fixed, yet....

At that point, some players can no longer stand waiting and waiting and waiting some more and post it all over the place in the hope, perhaps, that spreading out the knowledge of the existance of that bug (and also to WARN other players to try, as much as possible, to avoid getting hit by that bug), which they really want to see as fixed, might, somehow, finally get it be fixed....

Some bugs might be newly reported, but some, are old, VERY old and, yet, still there, doing all of their damage....

Ain't it understandable that patience in some players might have a limit and there is only so much waiting that a given player might endure before they have enough and become very vocal in wanting to see that particular bug be fixed ?
The original post is from 7 years ago, I think it's safe to say the devs are aware of the issue. I think it's also safe to say that they are not going to fix it for whatever reason. If you are trying to get me to condone coming here and whining about it, it's not going to happen. Go to the official forums, file a bug report, send an email, that's all you can do. Coming here to whine about it looking for sympathy is not going to get the bug fixed and only serves to harm the game. I am done repeating myself.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I agree with you @Stinky Pete that it seems like people are just looking for sympathy. The bug should absolutely be fixed, no question there but resurrecting a 7 year old thread or constantly complaining about the same thing over and over isn't helping resolve anything. If I were a new player (or debating on returning) and I saw the posts of a select few members here; there is no way I'd play UO because it's painted as a buggy/non-maintained/exploit filled/ griefer game (by those select few... you know who you are :) ).

@popps - The issue I've seen on this particular bug is that there is no solid reproducible way to trigger it. There are more posts on this thread with people's opinions on how it's not fair that people have to work so hard for the mounts / they cost so much / etc than there are actual posts on what happened to reproduce the pet going poof. The OP even starts off the thread with:
Does anyone even do in game support anymore?? I've been sitting get here waiting now for over 3 hours for this issue.
I'm all for posting something about losing a swampy and these are the steps that happened so be careful (because GMs will not create a new swampy for you) but aside from that I don't see anything productive coming from this (at least in the past 7 years). The only way to avoid being impacted by this bug is to avoid using a barded swampy.

Not everyone is rich and losing the Paroxy is pretty painful for them.
@bourne - The parox swampy is just the lazy (and rich) man's way of using a dexer. Truth be told, using a regular tameable swampy with a dragon barding deed actually is more effective at absorbing damage than using a parox swampy. The one downside is that you need to reapply the dragon barding deeds rather than doing nothing to the parox (hence the laziness). Dragon barding deeds are very cheap and if you have a crafter you can make them very easily so there should be no issue having one or 2 in your pack as backups.

So once again I agree that the bug should be fixed BUT if someone is so deathly afraid of losing a parox swampy there is a alternative and it's actually better than using the parox and there is no need to post about how unfair UO is. If money truly is the issue then people can opt for the MUCH cheaper route of swampy + dragon barding. At the end of the day, if you have a paroxy (me included) then we know there is a chance that it could disappear and if we want to prevent that then we can stable it until there is a fix (use work around). No need to try for sympathy points because you decided to take the gamble and lost.