• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Lets Ask Ledaye - 8/12-8/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

_zigzag_

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We continue with a new thread, dated, so I don't blunder again :)

Thanks to the community and to Chris 'Ledaye' Klug for continuing to provide us all some great insight through your questions and answers!

G

Gracie Nito

I really appreciate the information I have read so far about Stargate Worlds. Thanks again to Ledaye for taking the time to answer some of our questions.

I've read that the only races in game will be Asgard, Human, Jaffa and Goa'uld.

Will players ever have the opportunity to create as Wraith or any other races in the future?

I'm surprised the Tok'ra have not been included, as their ability to pose as Goa'uld and infiltrate as spies sounds like alot of fun. Can you explain why they were left out?​

S

SDNcN

There has been some confusion about Free for all servers.
The normal response to what pvp will be in-game is, "There will be opt in dueling and PvP servers at launch with Battlegrounds coming post launch."

Sometimes we see this, "There will be opt in dueling and FFA servers at launch with battlegrounds coming post launch."

Some are taking this as meaning there will be PvE, PVP, and FFA as the server types.

Is FFA being used interchangeably with PvP or is there a separate FFA server?

To clarify,
PvP server-Members of the opposite faction can engage each other in world PvP
FFA server-Members of the same and opposite faction can engage each other in world PvP

H

HyborianRanger

Since I first heard about SGW I've been eagerly looking forward to being an Asgard. For me that is a simple awesomness that no other MMO can give me. And on top of that I think you've taken a good approach with them staying true the lore, with their dependency on technology, and expanding on them with their drones.

But then recently some of the footage on combat came out and I became conflicted. It looks like an engrossing combat system that will capture the feel of the show. I said to myself "I wanna go through the Stargate with a P90 shooting at things and ducking behind the DHD."

So here you've created this very nice fast, engrossing shooting duck and cover system but here you have the Asgard who as far as we know don't use weapons / guns, and instead will be using their drones, technology, and ships.

Hence I ask will the Asgard take part in this shooting / cover system, and if so how? If not what are the cool game mechanics that replace the shooting / cover system for the Asgard. Like whats the cool game play incentive (besides calling down Asgard ships) for choosing this little grey alien over really intense shooting.

Also could you tell us what the three Asgard skill trees are? :) :) :)

And sorry if that was a bit lengthy I just wanted to try and explain it as best as possible.

H

HyborianRanger

Probably without having to duck behind cover :D
Lol that idea did float through my mind. I get the vibe that the Goa'uld and the Asgard will be somewhat like the traditional spellcasters. Just standing without cover in the back with their shields protecting them commanding their pets and casting their spells. Only in this case the spells will be orbital bombardments instead of fireballs. :)

Ledaye

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really appreciate the information I have read so far about Stargate Worlds. Thanks again to Ledaye for taking the time to answer some of our questions.

I've read that the only races in game will be Asgard, Human, Jaffa and Goa'uld.

Will players ever have the opportunity to create as Wraith or any other races in the future?

I'm surprised the Tok'ra have not been included, as their ability to pose as Goa'uld and infiltrate as spies sounds like alot of fun. Can you explain why they were left out?​

New races will certainly come in at some point.

The Tokra, while a little interesting, didn't fit into our story so well. It's a story-centric MMO, much like the show is a character-centric Sci-Fi series.

Also, given when the game is set, the Tokra are not really that important to the universe.

Ledaye

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There has been some confusion about Free for all servers.
The normal response to what pvp will be in-game is, "There will be opt in dueling and PvP servers at launch with Battlegrounds coming post launch."

Sometimes we see this, "There will be opt in dueling and FFA servers at launch with battlegrounds coming post launch."

Some are taking this as meaning there will be PvE, PVP, and FFA as the server types.

Is FFA being used interchangeably with PvP or is there a separate FFA server?

To clarify,
PvP server-Members of the opposite faction can engage each other in world PvP
FFA server-Members of the same and opposite faction can engage each other in world PvP
Okay, so the open servers at launch are PvP. We will never do FFA servers.

C

commander_c9

I'm not sure if this is mentioned anywhere else, but Has the cost been mentioned? Will there be online tools like WOW, like the armory?

Thank you,

R

Rocki

Just wanted to quickly return to the PvP questions. You say you will never do FFA and only PvP (Very good imo, I hate FFA), but how will this work?

Will it be that any character can get to the other characters 'zones' (As in if your a high enough 'good' character, you can get into a 'evil' characters zone and kill them all) Or will there be only certain places you can pvp, like some worlds will be designated as PvP areas and others you will beable to PvE in.

Or is it just going to be you can access any world and if you see an enemy, kill it!

Prolly could of phrased that a bit better but I think i got my question accross lol :)

Many thanks

Ledaye

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just wanted to quickly return to the PvP questions. You say you will never do FFA and only PvP (Very good imo, I hate FFA), but how will this work?

Will it be that any character can get to the other characters 'zones' (As in if your a high enough 'good' character, you can get into a 'evil' characters zone and kill them all) Or will there be only certain places you can pvp, like some worlds will be designated as PvP areas and others you will beable to PvE in.

Or is it just going to be you can access any world and if you see an enemy, kill it!

Prolly could of phrased that a bit better but I think i got my question accross lol :)

Many thanks
At launch, there will be PvP servers. On those servers, some areas will be 'open' meaning that both sides normally inhabit them anyway, but on those servers in those areas it's 'catch as catch can.' There are worlds that are 'one side only' in normal PvE play, and those areas will remain so. A Praxis player will never have access to Beta Site E1, for instance, because it will never appear in his DHD list.

After launch, at an appropriate point, will will turn on 'full' PvP which means 'Battlegrounds' which are planned to be planet-sized conflagrations, more like DAOC in tenor than WoW. There will be goals, rounds, measured standings, etc. But, those are being designed now, so I don't have a lot of details.

M

MarkedOfKane

As a Goa'uld player I know that you will be able to infest various NPC hosts at a currently unknown cost. But will you be able to physically leave your host body and slither around on the ground?

If so is it possible that we will be able to lunge at NPCs compatible for infestation and burrow into their necks as a method of procuring hosts?

If not can you tell us how the game will allow us Goa'uld to obtain new hosts?

Ledaye

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since I first heard about SGW I've been eagerly looking forward to being an Asgard. For me that is a simple awesomness that no other MMO can give me. And on top of that I think you've taken a good approach with them staying true the lore, with their dependency on technology, and expanding on them with their drones.

But then recently some of the footage on combat came out and I became conflicted. It looks like an engrossing combat system that will capture the feel of the show. I said to myself "I wanna go through the Stargate with a P90 shooting at things and ducking behind the DHD."

So here you've created this very nice fast, engrossing shooting duck and cover system but here you have the Asgard who as far as we know don't use weapons / guns, and instead will be using their drones, technology, and ships.

Hence I ask will the Asgard take part in this shooting / cover system, and if so how? If not what are the cool game mechanics that replace the shooting / cover system for the Asgard. Like whats the cool game play incentive (besides calling down Asgard ships) for choosing this little grey alien over really intense shooting.

Also could you tell us what the three Asgard skill trees are? :) :) :)

And sorry if that was a bit lengthy I just wanted to try and explain it as best as possible.
The Drone and the character form one 'target' so their combined profile is used (they are about as tall as a Jaffa).

So, put together, they are bigger than a human.

The three Asgard Ability Trees are: Attack Programs, Science Programs, Defensive Programs.

Ledaye

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As a Goa'uld player I know that you will be able to infest various NPC hosts at a currently unknown cost.
We've never said this, I don't know where you got your info from. This isn't in the game.

But will you be able to physically leave your host body and slither around on the ground?
No, you won't

If so is it possible that we will be able to lunge at NPCs compatible for infestation and burrow into their necks as a method of procuring hosts?
No.

If not can you tell us how the game will allow us Goa'uld to obtain new hosts?
You can't, sorry.

K

Kiminality

I got a question! \o/

How do you pronounce "Ledaye"?

In my head, I pronounce it like "lead eye"
But, I got to wondering earlier.

F

Fargo_the_Hobbit

S

skorpion352

hi ledaye, i have a couple of questions for you.

firstly, i read on the sgw forums a couple of weeks ago that the way you gain access to new equipment was going to be different from other games and not based on lvl, could you please elaborate on what this means.

secondly, what type of subscription method are you currently looking at? are you looking towards a monthly fee based system, and if so, is there any plans to include a one off lifetime option like lotro has? or are you looking at something completely different?

finally, how often are you looking at releasing new content patches after the game launches?

thanks for taking the time to answer all these questions, and keep up the awsome work on the game, i cant wait to try it

EDIT: also, is there a SGW channel on Stratics IRC yet? and if not, when can we expect one?

H

HyborianRanger

The three Asgard Ability Trees are: Attack Programs, Science Programs, Defensive Programs.
Thank you :)

The Drone and the character form one 'target' so their combined profile is used (they are about as tall as a Jaffa).

So, put together, they are bigger than a human.
Soo are you saying that an Asgard's drone will float over his head during combat or all the time, and that they will move as one and take cover just like everyone else in combat?

Because in the first teaser trailer that aired on SciFi channel we saw a human,a free jaffa, and an Asgard going through the gate and coming out of it and the Asgard's drone floating beside him. Now from that I sort of assumed that the drones would float beside the Asgard as he walked or ran.

And from there I thought well what are they going to look like in combat? Is the Asgard going to take cover as he commands his drone in battle? Will the drone need to take cover as he attacks? Or maybe the Asgard will simply stand there without cover protected by shields while commanding his drone what to do.

Ledaye

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well my apologies for my gross misinformedness. And thank you for the epic clarification.
No need to apologize, my friend, they were all reasonable requests, and we considered all of those ideas, but the role for the archetype would have ended up very different if we went in that direction.

Ledaye

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got a question! \o/

How do you pronounce "Ledaye"?

In my head, I pronounce it like "lead eye"
But, I got to wondering earlier.
It's more like luh-DAY.

The name comes from my old EQ I Ranger. It was a random name generated by the game. I chose it and off I went.

Ledaye

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hi ledaye, i have a couple of questions for you.

firstly, i read on the sgw forums a couple of weeks ago that the way you gain access to new equipment was going to be different from other games and not based on lvl, could you please elaborate on what this means.
There is a 'characteristic' called Tech Competency which is separate from level, but it is related. TC is what gates access to tech.

Access to equipment comes from crafting and missions, and only slightly from loot drops. All three act in concert.

secondly, what type of subscription method are you currently looking at? are you looking towards a monthly fee based system, and if so, is there any plans to include a one off lifetime option like lotro has? or are you looking at something completely different?
Final decisions have not been made here.

finally, how often are you looking at releasing new content patches after the game launches?
Every six weeks, with a big one every eighteen weeks.

Ledaye

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Really?

He probably got it from the SGW Wiki which lists the refrence for that fact in this podcast. http://community.stargateworlds.com/download/10/683/
an interesting listen especially 45 seconds in.
I haven't listened to the podcast, I will. But at one time we were considering that at character creation you would pick your host, and then perhaps change during play. But we rejected that a while back once we zeroed in more on both the Goa'uld newbie experience (which ROCKS) and the archetype as a whole.

F

Fargo_the_Hobbit

I haven't listened to the podcast, I will. But at one time we were considering that at character creation you would pick your host, and then perhaps change during play. But we rejected that a while back once we zeroed in more on both the Goa'uld newbie experience (which ROCKS) and the archetype as a whole.
And could you you give us a little tease of that newbie experience :) perhaps a little tidbit to wet our whistle. :)

And aren't you making a unique sort of experience for each of the races? I vaguely remember you saying something like to get the whole story you'll have to play through each of the races and that each race has sort of a different perspective on the main story and that this will encourage players to play all of them.

I remember being really excited by this because no MMO has ever EVER motivated me to go through a story, or series of quests or the entire level progression. But that would motivate me to.

Ledaye

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And could you you give us a little tease of that newbie experience :) perhaps a little tidbit to wet our whistle. :)

And aren't you making a unique sort of experience for each of the races? I vaguely remember you saying something like to get the whole story you'll have to play through each of the races and that each race has sort of a different perspective on the main story and that this will encourage players to play all of them.

I remember being really excited by this because no MMO has ever EVER motivated me to go through a story, or series of quests or the entire level progression. But that would motivate me to.
Okay, hmmm . . .

The Goa'uld newbie experience delivers a sort of 'trick' in that it takes a specific event that happened in the show and shows you that event from a different point of view.

As an example: Remember the big air battle over Antarctica from the show. The characters talk about that battle as observers, because the show characters were all on the ground during the dogfight. They later expanded this in Cam's set up story when Browder came on the show in season 9. Imagine the your game character took place in that battle as (again for example) a fighter pilot. Imagine again that you were the pilot that fired the shot that took out Annubis' ship. That sequence would be both fun to play and show fans would get a kick out of reliving that sequence and being the character that saved the show character's butts.

We're doing something similar to that but from the Goa'uld POV. It is an incident in the show that you have seen from the show character's POV and now you experience it from the Goa'uld POV. You actually do something that the show talked about but never showed.

The game's story, while firmly rooted in the game's central conflict, reveals much about the show's history, but all from the POV of each race. So the Goa'uld faction missions reveal interesting tidbits about the Goa'uld leaders, the history of their relationship with the Big Bad, their relationship with the Alliance, and so forth. Same with the Asgard, Jaffa and Humans. Each race holds a key to the defeat of the Big Bad as well as their own part of the show's history.

So, even people not familiar with the show will get a lot out of playing each of the races because while the show history isn't of particular interest, the reveals about the game's conflict are there as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.