• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Web CUO Client..

mihali

Lore Keeper
I use a windows 7 pro computer, for the UO, that works perfectly well with CC and EC present versions of clients.
To use the web based client with Chrome, I will need to use an updated Chrome version that works only with windows 10 and over.
Not sure how easy it will be to upgrade to windows 10 from windows 7, I suspect not too easy or feasible. So it looks like CUO / Chrome based if off limits here at least for now.
Also it is obvious that for players with older computer systems / windows this CUO will be off limits?

Anyone else has this issue, and is there a solve to this to avoid doing major brain surgery on the win 7 system?

Magnus

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Windows 7 stopped being supported by Microsoft almost 5 years ago, its insecure and unsupported in large and is an almost 15 year old OS.

You should be updating it, if you are doing anything online - banking, you're just letting yourself be open to attack. Even Upgrading to Windows 10 is problematic due to it being end of life this time next year.

However, you should be able to do for free still.

mihali

Lore Keeper
Windows 7 stopped being supported by Microsoft almost 5 years ago, its insecure and unsupported in large and is an almost 15 year old OS.

You should be updating it, if you are doing anything online - banking, you're just letting yourself be open to attack. Even Upgrading to Windows 10 is problematic due to it being end of life this time next year.

However, you should be able to do for free still.
Appreciate info. I upgraded it to win 10, a complete disaster, 8 megs ram. So I reverted back to win 7, due to constant crashes and BSOD's. This computer has family photos and lots of good info. Instead will just buy a new computer, better than spend 2-3 days trying to figure out why win 10 did not work. PC's of any kind are not expensive anyways. So will work a few more hours and get a new one .... Abouuut tiiime already lololol. (Same computer 15 years! Time suuure flies).

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Breaking!
Man buys new computer to play UO in 2024 :gee:

Also get an external HDD for your family photos. You always want to have such things on a second device, so you've got a backup.

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have mixed opinions on it but considering my opinion is not everybody's cup of tea I'm going to just say this...

Do your own research for all I care, but use this as a you saw it here first; But this is a phase out period for the existing client even if they're not admitting to it.

The idea is to let the webclient run for about 2 to 3 years to see how it handles and then eventually phase out a client that right now, actually requires a significant amount more of programming.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

belal

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
I need some help with this client please. I'm sure i'm being really really dumb. Just some very basic things before i can use this client.

1: i can't get it to show my ping, it just says ping: 0ms on the top corner and doesn't display any figures on the login screen so i need to know if i need pingzapper etc and if its working.

2: i can't find the option to range or location check last target for spells.
Because currently if the target moves out of range i'm having to stop and cast the entire spell all over again. Which is not playable. I'm sure the option is there somewhere but i am just being stupid and can't see it. As even UOAssist has this option. I got it to show the range, but by the time i press last target, when the target is in range, the target has moved out of range and i lost the spell cursor.

3: i need my character status up to check my follower count and other things as i'm often using summons/pets, but i can't find how to show my own healthbar at the same time, it seems to be one or the other. I am sure i am being really dumb can someone please help?

4: i have enable pathfinding on but it's just not navigating around any objects.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I use a windows 7 pro computer, for the UO, that works perfectly well with CC and EC present versions of clients.
To use the web based client with Chrome, I will need to use an updated Chrome version that works only with windows 10 and over.
Not sure how easy it will be to upgrade to windows 10 from windows 7, I suspect not too easy or feasible. So it looks like CUO / Chrome based if off limits here at least for now.
Also it is obvious that for players with older computer systems / windows this CUO will be off limits?

Anyone else has this issue, and is there a solve to this to avoid doing major brain surgery on the win 7 system?
I still run Windows 7 too, It's mostly a gaming machine (I'm a retro gamer so don't need anything more). Banking etc. I do on mobile so I don't care for security.
For those very few applications that require a newer version of Windows, I run Windows 10 in a VirtualBox within Windows 7, yep defies all logic but works absolutely fine. Worth a look for die hard Windows 7 fans like me.
Even within VirtualBox Windows 10 is still very resource greedy so be prepared to dedicate a lot of memory and disk space to it, but that is all done within the VirtualBox configuration.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Having a windows 7 machine on your network is a terrible idea, period. You leave other machines on your network vulnerable just by having it connected to the internet unless your network is segmented with VLANs (even then it's not a great idea).

There are a ton of unpatched vulnerabilities in Windows 7, at least one of them can execute code without any user intervention at all. If the machine is on your network, code can then be executed remotely on your other devices via the vulnerable machine using remote procedure calls.

I don't understand what people get out of using unsupported operating systems. Any network security administrator will tell you that using an unsupported OS is one of the dumbest things you can do. When we bring it up, we're always met with, "but I only do [whatever] with that computer." A time comes when you just have throw your hands in the air and be glad it's not your network.

Last edited: