• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Rumor about time played...

temu

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey guys. I seem to remember a myth from long ago that a Gamemaster could tell you how many hours your account has been logged in.

Is this true?

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yes, but it only tracks time on that particular login session not the lifetime of your account. They use it to catch afk scripters who have been logged in the whole day.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
They use it to catch afk scripters who have been logged in the whole day.
Is there any evidence of this ever happening? I've "put a roll of quarters on a key" for days at a time and never once has a GM ever approached me that I know of.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Didn't Mesanna once say there was a flag on characters or accounts that basically indicated they had been caught cheating even if they weren't talked to about it? Maybe they just didn't action you Pete.

Phreak

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
In the early 2000s my friend became a GM after her husband became a developer. She was able to tell me the total hours my account had been logged in. Not sure if things of changed it’s been a long time, this was when they were still based in Austin.

R00

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
In the early 2000s my friend became a GM after her husband became a developer. She was able to tell me the total hours my account had been logged in. Not sure if things of changed it’s been a long time, this was when they were still based in Austin.
Same. Wilki informed me at an EA Redwood Shores meetup of the ungodly number of lifetime hours my account had accrued and I vowed to double them

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
if they can see for how long surely they see how you connect?
This is a non-sequitur. Being able to see length of time on THEIR OWN servers does not in any way give them information on how you're making the call to their servers. I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm just saying your statement is a non-sequitur.

Under normal circumstances, all they should see is a ping for information. If your computer gets a return ping from them with information it doesn't anticipate, your firewall will block it.