• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

which mods dont affect pvp???

Bob_the_fart_guy

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i'm asking if anyone know if there is a "master list" of primary and secondary special attack abilities that don't affect PVP combat? I once spent over a year trying to use *Mortal Strike* on other players before someone informed me that Mortal Strike does not work in PVP combat. ... are there any other special attacks that don't work in pvp or are severely nerfed. for example: "Does bleed attack" work in PVP?

Dimax

Adventurer
Professional
Supporter
i'm asking if anyone know if there is a "master list" of primary and secondary special attack abilities that don't affect PVP combat? I once spent over a year trying to use *Mortal Strike* on other players before someone informed me that Mortal Strike does not work in PVP combat. ... are there any other special attacks that don't work in pvp or are severely nerfed. for example: "Does bleed attack" work in PVP?
Cleaver - Bleed and Lethal Poison, worked like a charm on scripting miners, before they made ore random spawn.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It's not that mortal strike "doesn't work"; it's more that it's not effective given apples remove it and there are scripts to automatically eat an apple if mortal'ed. With the addition of cleansing winds (mystic) if there is someone with mystic it's also quickly removed. The same could be said for lethal poison. It does proc and "work" but with the auto scripts chugging cures until it's gone; that isn't super effective.

If you are talking about special attacks that are effective in PvP then it's going to be pretty limited and confined to Disarm/Armor Ignore/Double Strike/Dismount/Moving shot (if using a bow). One other special that you can use that is useful but isn't as useful against a scripter is Nerve Strike; you will get the damage from it but scripts will auto pop a trapped box to break paralyze from it. There are some other specials that are useful in certain situations like fenzied whirlwind if fighting a mage (and trying to disrupt his spells) but I'd say they are much more limited and would depend on your template.

Side note: Your thread title says "Mods" but your post say "Specials" which are different. Specials are the ability linked to a given weapon whereas Mods are properties any weapon can have.

Just for good measure in case you were wondering... From my limited interaction with PvP over the past 5 years I've kind of seen these are the effective mods for the average person looking to PvP:
Splinter
Hit Lightning (or other spell)
Hit Lower Defense
Hit Lower Attack
Spell Channel/Faster Casting/Damage Increase depending on your template

Bob_the_fart_guy

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's not that mortal strike "doesn't work"; it's more that it's not effective given apples remove it and there are scripts to automatically eat an apple if mortal'ed. With the addition of cleansing winds (mystic) if there is someone with mystic it's also quickly removed. The same could be said for lethal poison. It does proc and "work" but with the auto scripts chugging cures until it's gone; that isn't super effective.

If you are talking about special attacks that are effective in PvP then it's going to be pretty limited and confined to Disarm/Armor Ignore/Double Strike/Dismount/Moving shot (if using a bow). One other special that you can use that is useful but isn't as useful against a scripter is Nerve Strike; you will get the damage from it but scripts will auto pop a trapped box to break paralyze from it. There are some other specials that are useful in certain situations like fenzied whirlwind if fighting a mage (and trying to disrupt his spells) but I'd say they are much more limited and would depend on your template.

Side note: Your thread title says "Mods" but your post say "Specials" which are different. Specials are the ability linked to a given weapon whereas Mods are properties any weapon can have.

Just for good measure in case you were wondering... From my limited interaction with PvP over the past 5 years I've kind of seen these are the effective mods for the average person looking to PvP:
Splinter
Hit Lightning (or other spell)
Hit Lower Defense
Hit Lower Attack
Spell Channel/Faster Casting/Damage Increase depending on your template

yes, sorry, i meant "Specials" ..... and thank you for that response. :) .......... also, does the "Block" ability work?

Last edited:

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
yes, sorry, i meant "Specials" ..... and thank you for that response. :) .......... also, does the "Block" ability work?
The ability technically works but I don't think it's used in PvP. Primary reason is because majority of specials you are going to use in PvP are going to be offensive but another reason (and reason other specials aren't used) is because of the weapons it comes on. Looks like it only comes on nunchuks / sai / wild staff.

Again I don't PvP nearly as much as others (mainly just when ToT was open in Fel) but I don't think I've ever seen nunchuks or sai's ever used in PvP. I have fought someone who used a wild staff (it was a very niche style template) and they did "ok" against my PvM sampire (got me low but couldn't kill me) but when I came back on a parry mage (ie somewhat standard PvP template) they couldn't do much.

I think it really depends what sort of PvP you are looking to do. If you are looking to do some hardcore PvP like on ATL in Yew then I'd stick to the list I gave earlier. If you are thinking of just hitting a few less traveled areas and want to pick off PvM players or even just protect against a lone PK then you can get a bit more creative with the things you use and some mild success. Using some lesser encountered specials or tactics sometimes works well against mid-tier players.