• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Weird question and a bit of a long shot but... is anyone here living in a VA home in PA?

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So my wife works at a local Veteran's Home and she passed a room yesterday with a gentleman playing UO inside. They were equally surprised, she was surpised that someone else played UO and he was floored that she knew what UO was. He said he had been playing for a very long time and I thought that he might appreciate someone dropping by to talk shop. I asked her to find out more details but she doesn't always deliver to that floor. So on the slight chance that this description sounds like you and you're up for nerding out about the old days, drop me a PM.

MoonCres

Sage
UNLEASHED
That is freakin cool! As cool as that is. I would be very carefull about how you go about this @Dryzzid of Atlantic or your wife. Releasing some ones personal information (even talking about them outside if work) in many such places is Taboo even if you ask them permission sometimes the family can still sue. Most have strict regulations on a person's confidentiality. You already posting this here is meh... wouldn't worry. Unless the freak accident someone here knew and seen this and was a bag. I'm not sure of the regulations for your wife's work place. I just want to remind you to be very careful. I hope it would work out and we could have a new buddy here!

MoonCres

Sage
UNLEASHED
Also aren't you going to go try to go talk to him? Just claim to be "lost" looking for your wife *wink wink* be epic!!!

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
That is freakin cool! As cool as that is. I would be very carefull about how you go about this @Dryzzid of Atlantic or your wife. Releasing some ones personal information (even talking about them outside if work) in many such places is Taboo even if you ask them permission sometimes the family can still sue. Most have strict regulations on a person's confidentiality. You already posting this here is meh... wouldn't worry. Unless the freak accident someone here knew and seen this and was a bag. I'm not sure of the regulations for your wife's work place. I just want to remind you to be very careful. I hope it would work out and we could have a new buddy here!
I don't see this as a possible hippa violation but in theory even stating he was in va hospital could be...

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm not worried, I've provided nothing specific enough to identify anyone. I figure it's enough that said person would remember the interaction with my wife. If it's creepy a mod can remove it but it comes from nothing but good intentions. I volunteer through my job and local American Legion to visit with folks in nursing homes and personal care homes - spend time with them, listen to stories about their lives, play guitar and sing. I'd love to get the opportunity to visit someone and talk about UO - especially the good ol' days.

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Either way... I am not part of their care team and I don't have access to their medical records, HIPAA does not apply.

MoonCres

Sage
UNLEASHED
I didn't want to start controversy even though you know I like to. I just wanted to to make a reminder. I still find this very cool but didn't want him/wife to be at risk. Obviously details are known by @Dryzzid of Atlantic and I'm reassured as long as my point was known. If I was in VA or even close ide be ther in a second to shoot the s*** with this bad a**!

MoonCres

Sage
UNLEASHED
Also HIPPA is just a government privacy policy as a minimum requirement enforced by law... has nothing to do with said facilitie other then they follow that at the very least...

MoonCres

Sage
UNLEASHED
One more comment/examples sorry just to clarify. Say your job has min wage? That does not mean you can't make more. Say company you work at has no vulgary in the work space? Say your company says no talking about patient outside of work? Get where I'm going...last few 1st ammendment rights? that's not always true... laws are a public standard but not held to a private agreement that supercede them. Okay I'm sry @Dryzzid of Atlantic I will try not to blow this up anymore I'm sure you're good or know by now.

HRH Liz

Lore Master
UNLEASHED
You have the name of the VA Home and the floor the person is on. Call the Home and ask to speak to some one and tell them what is going on and give them you Name and Number to give to the patient you may be surprised what will happen esp if it is one of the better homes. Visits to people in homes helps with their spirits and their health. A lot of Vets get in homes that may not be near their family ay first so any visitor is a good thing. The VA Home just north of us is one of the most requested in the nation and has a 5 year waiting list.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm not worried, I've provided nothing specific enough to identify anyone. I figure it's enough that said person would remember the interaction with my wife. If it's creepy a mod can remove it but it comes from nothing but good intentions. I volunteer through my job and local American Legion to visit with folks in nursing homes and personal care homes - spend time with them, listen to stories about their lives, play guitar and sing. I'd love to get the opportunity to visit someone and talk about UO - especially the good ol' days.
This is fine from a moderation perspective, just don't name-drop them or their UO characters if you find out obviously.

It's crazy when you encounter another UO player out in the world, has happened to me a couple times and is always really cool. You'd be surprised who plays UO from the real world too...I've encountered multiple people in-game who I later found out are quite well known in real life. My top three were a Fortune 500 CEO, a U.S. actor, and a member of a foreign nation's royal family. None of them play anymore sadly.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Pretty sure a Youtuber I watch is also a fortune 500 CEO. He's chill AF in his vids though.

I haven't met any other UO players. Besides people I was playing with or introduced to the game.

Prawn

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thats cool - well condering the average age of a UO subscriber is now 70+, im not surprised the OG players are in the old ages homes now and still playing!