• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Castles and Lag

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
The desire to have a custom castle plot has been shot down many times in the past, for whatever reason. One excuse I read is that it will create too much lag with all the tiles and stuff inside. I had a thought on this. What if someone who wanted to customize our castle in exchange for some of the storage in it ? 5000+ lockdowns if your account has purchased all the codes for house storage. I would be willing to give up some, a lot, if I were able to design what I wanted.
Would this idea even be possible?
How much storage would you give up to do this?

If lag is the problem ... Like they claim, here's a solution that seems fair to me.

HRH Liz

Lore Master
UNLEASHED
18x18 plots in Luna was causing more lag than a castle and they fixed that and now when you run buy a castle it doesn't load like it did before. Same rules apply in all of UO when it comes to displaying houses.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
main problems are mannequins, they show even when people turn off the items showing in house through the options. no reason to give up storage. devs keep adding stuff but not the storage. i heard main reason is the devs are worried about color of outside walls that would be an eye sore. i lag more from players than most castles. if you hate, lag dont go to my castles lol. would there be less lag from castles if fully customized castle with perm tiles? we could really show off our deco abilities if we get fully customizable castles. where it could use to attract more players or keep the ones we have.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The desire to have a custom castle plot has been shot down many times in the past, for whatever reason. One excuse I read is that it will create too much lag with all the tiles and stuff inside. I had a thought on this. What if someone who wanted to customize our castle in exchange for some of the storage in it ? 5000+ lockdowns if your account has purchased all the codes for house storage. I would be willing to give up some, a lot, if I were able to design what I wanted.
Would this idea even be possible?
How much storage would you give up to do this?

If lag is the problem ... Like they claim, here's a solution that seems fair to me.
0... the reason I have a castle is for the storage... but if I could custom the castle in the house menu rather than do it with "added" tiles and carpet and pavers and such then the lag would be FAR less IMO... just saying.

More of the "lag" comes from loading 50 vendors and/or the 500+ tiles and goza mats and such added to bring the castle to 4 levels... not the castle itself. Now the big lag problem is in when you are in design mode... but that lag is for you and you alone... which you have to deal with on TC when you try to design a castle or keep as well... so IMO what is the difference if I do it on TC or do it on Production?

Now once it's "set" the lag isn't an issue as I can run circles around TC all over those castles and keeps and have no more lag than anywhere else... so that is a FALSE excuse... just going to say... if that were going to cause huge lag and all that then you wouldn't be able to run all over TC without a problem... another DEV lame excuse just like the phony excuse as to why you can't imbue a spellbook... but whatever.

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm the opposite of Malagaste. Housing is a design and deco opportunity to me. If my keep could be customized in exchange for the storage being reduced to an 18x18, I'd take that deal.

I feel like I may be in the minority here though.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
From my understanding it’s not so much the contents of the castles that is the lag issue… it is the fact that a custom plot in and of itself is a dynamic object…(ie not a predefined fixed structure). Custom granite isn’t an issue because it doesn’t have to load, mannequin aren’t the issue because they load in both, contents aren’t the issue because storage limits are the same between castle designs…
Presumably the servers have an easier time loading the 18x18 dynamic object plots than they do a larger plot.

I’m not saying it is a legit argument, but I believe this is the underlying issue.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
From my understanding it’s not so much the contents of the castles that is the lag issue… it is the fact that a custom plot in and of itself is a dynamic object…(ie not a predefined fixed structure). Custom granite isn’t an issue because it doesn’t have to load, mannequin aren’t the issue because they load in both, contents aren’t the issue because storage limits are the same between castle designs…
Presumably the servers have an easier time loading the 18x18 dynamic object plots than they do a larger plot.

I’m not saying it is a legit argument, but I believe this is the underlying issue.
If this were true... then running around in areas with castles being designed on TC would be laggy and near impossible... but since this is NOT the case... then this is therefore Bull****... So... not a legit argument... again... the proof is right there on TC each and every time we have this "contest" ...

The true reason is likely because they don't want to see big borg cube ugly castles ... Or giant empty plots. but it is what it is and that was the "excuse" we were given... nothing we can do about it.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If this were true... then running around in areas with castles being designed on TC would be laggy and near impossible... but since this is NOT the case... then this is therefore Bull****... So... not a legit argument... again... the proof is right there on TC each and every time we have this "contest" ...

The true reason is likely because they don't want to see big borg cube ugly castles ... Or giant empty plots. but it is what it is and that was the "excuse" we were given... nothing we can do about it.
Like I said, I’m not saying it’s a valid argument… I’m saying I believe it is the more accurate description of the justification we have been given by the dev team.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Really???

The castles on test center do not have 1000 items in them and they have no mannequins or parrots.

You can not compare TC to shards full of items.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you've ever messed around with an emulator then you know that properties of items are nothing more than a keystroke to adjust, like number of lockdowns, secures, etc. They were bizarre numbers that were chosen in the first place. With my 40% increase, the total number of maximum secure storage in an 18x18 is 3411...wtf....3411...not 3400, not 3500....three thousand four hundred and eleven... !! Was there a big think tank discussion when this was discussed and the winning number was 3411? ...this can be changed in an emulator shard in 5 seconds. It's not changed on production shards, because...we all know the reason. These devs don't think like players !! This is 2022, we aren't playing on hardware from 1997. Anyone who thinks total lockdowns/secures on a shard affect anyones gameplay except those that like to run around loading peoples houses to see what they can get when they collapse, are delusional. Does item count affect vendor search ? Yep, because they rushed that option in without coding it for stability, but this conversation isn't about vendor search lag, it's about house lag. Which is only a thing if you're still on dial up and like I said, you run up on every public house step during your entire gameplay. One single simple teeny tiny step that would go a long way would take them maybe 10 minutes to create. A commodity deed book !!! I don't know about the rest of you but this is a huge issue for me and probably others as well. We all have 100s of stackables that don't make good deco, they're consumables or hoardables (lol) which would be much better managed with a book. Bods got tons of love because of lock downs. It's long overdue that other items should be considered as well. I finally got over my love and need for a castle by downsizing the crap I collect. I could go down even further with a simple book that my crafter could literally keep in his back pack along with a commodity deed box. Then i would never again have to use a secured container for well over the limit of 125 items I currently have to use...that's just a single example of a quick fix to at least help with the item count problem, if there even is one as far as the server is concerned. If your pc is concerned, it might be time to get a new one.

Last edited:

gwen

Slightly Crazed
If you've ever messed around with an emulator then you know that properties of items are nothing more than a keystroke to adjust, like number of lockdowns, secures, etc. They were bizarre numbers that were chosen in the first place. With my 40% increase, the total number of maximum secure storage in an 18x18 is 3411...wtf....3411...not 3400, not 3500....three thousand four hundred and eleven... !! Was there a big think tank discussion when this was discussed and the winning number was 3411? ...this can be changed in an emulator shard in 5 seconds. It's not changed on production shards, because...we all know the reason. This is 2022, we aren't playing on hardware from 1997. Anyone who thinks total lockdowns/secures on a shard affect anyones gameplay except those that like to run around loading peoples houses to see what they can get when they collapse, are delusional. Does item count affect vendor search ? Yep, because they rushed that option in without coding it for stability, but this conversation isn't about vendor search lag, it's about house lag. Which is only a thing if you're still on dial up and like I said, you run up on every public house step during your entire gameplay.
I believe it IS an issue.
3411 items can be 1 item (so one artwork) to load 3411 times.
Or it can be 3411 different items to look artwork on your hard drive and to generate in on your screen.
My laptop is ok, 16G ram with i7. with SSD hard drive I cannot fight Tsuki Wolves on Atl if I ever to come to those houses on east of road.
Some castles are lag fest same as EM events are. No trouble when you fight dungeon mobs, but doing trade runs sometimes causes crashes. Good that Krampush was usually spawning not close to houses