• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Castle Design Contest Important Dates

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
probably because you'd have massive cubes built that are ugly and would lag the game up
Cubes won't lag the game up any more than beautifully designed castles do. They aren't allowed because a close group of Mesanna's friends said please dont allow this, so they don't allow it.

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Cubes won't lag the game up any more than beautifully designed castles do. They aren't allowed because a close group of Mesanna's friends said please dont allow this, so they don't allow it.
I don't get the trepidation over cubed and empty castle plots. It's everywhere with 18x18s and smaller custom houses; no difference. Ugly houses everywhere.

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I don't get the trepidation over cubed and empty castle plots. It's everywhere with 18x18s and smaller custom houses; no difference. Ugly houses everywhere.
if you have an empty plot, someone would want to build that whole plot with granite stonework. Can you imagine a whole castle size plot with the Minocian Fire stonework? i could see someone doing that or any of the other cleanup dyes that I have seen at Luna houses on some shards

not to mention the lag that would cause.
(if you don't believe me, I can show you a castle where my hubby added stonework to the original design. some of the deco has been taken down.
but some say that it is still laggy. we have a different computer now & don't notice the lag any more.)

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
This may sound crazy but I never leave the ground floor of any of my homes keep castle it matters not i like to put a little shack like structure in the middle and have dirt floor only

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
if you have an empty plot, someone would want to build that whole plot with granite stonework. Can you imagine a whole castle size plot with the Minocian Fire stonework? i could see someone doing that or any of the other cleanup dyes that I have seen at Luna houses on some shards

not to mention the lag that would cause.
(if you don't believe me, I can show you a castle where my hubby added stonework to the original design. some of the deco has been taken down.
but some say that it is still laggy. we have a different computer now & don't notice the lag any more.)
The contents wouldn't load on private houses and for public houses, you can turn off loading items until you step on the plot. Turning that option off should remedy the issue of stonemade houses causing lag, right? I keep it off all the time.

1641574322816.png

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The already existing castles some filled with say mannequins wearing virtue armor... cause me the most lag so much i had to move...

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
The contents wouldn't load on private houses and for public houses, you can turn off loading items until you step on the plot. Turning that option off should remedy the issue of stonemade houses causing lag, right? I keep it off all the time.

View attachment 124737
yes, I use this option, but it doesn't help if you accidently step onto the house steps. then it loads it.

l don't lag that much on Atlantic
But when I was running the trade runs on Atlantic I did accidently stepped onto someones plot & every time I run past there it now loads (you have to log out to get it to stop loading, but sometimes even then, it doesn't stop)

I was just saying that the crafted stuff does create lag
& I can see why they don't want that to happen.
(also some people know how to place it, so that it loads
without you stepping onto the plot)

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
This may sound crazy but I never leave the ground floor of any of my homes keep castle it matters not i like to put a little shack like structure in the middle and have dirt floor only
I have heard others express that they wished there would be a small village
so maybe you should try to design one like that on TC

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The already existing castles some filled with say mannequins wearing virtue armor... cause me the most lag so much i had to move...
Don't live next to me then. I have stone work and 270 mannequins. Right in front is a server line. To the west is one of the castles was old kind with added stone floors now its a new one and on the north west side is a old style with I think 4 extra floors could be move hard to tell. Built with stone work then when stone work stops has the rubble and goza floors. Dont think the small house behind it can be seen. When am in my north east tower the lag and if I step on his steps I crash

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It’s not the best, but it is a work around… the craftable borders match the stone and can be stacked to create the different heights.
But you can NOT put them on the NW corners of the building... they will NOT go there unless the builder leaves a 1 tile empty space all the way around the building... otherwise you are unable to fix it.

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
We should be due some new house walls by now shouldn't we? Gothic and rustic are like 6 years old. I always wished I could have dungeon walls to match the greenish blackish house foundation

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
We should be due some new house walls by now shouldn't we? Gothic and rustic are like 6 years old. I always wished I could have dungeon walls to match the greenish blackish house foundation
Me too...

I've asked that they give us access to those and some other walls which are in-game in the past... but got no response... I'd like to have the secret doors which match the blue castle walls... And FYI those walls you are asking about are the dungeon wall set...

I'd also like to use some of the Asian-style walls that are in the game but not in the menu as well as there were some really neat walls added with ML which are not in the house menu either... though they are missing some parts they are super neat and I would really like to use them.

I'd also like it if they "finished" some of the roof sets so they can be used in more than just a hip roof... Sadly many roof tilesets are not complete.

I'd like it if they finally "finished" the Gothic tileset and added a matching floor tileset with a roof and door to really do it justice... but that's a dream. As for the Rustic set, it is meh... looks "plastic" rather like the doors they added with those interesting sets added with ToL... which are also missing some parts I wish they would finish. Like a roof tile... and I wish they would fix that plastic door they put in so it doesn't look so... fake... and add some shading to the gray wall tiles so it doesn't just look like white lines on a plain gray background... so it looks like bricks... not fake.

Oh, and there are some nice wall parts in the palace that have neat medallions that I'd like to have from the Ter Mur expansion which I"d like added to the house menu...

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But you can NOT put them on the NW corners of the building... they will NOT go there unless the builder leaves a 1 tile empty space all the way around the building... otherwise you are unable to fix it.
I believe the only tile missing is the exact nw corner tile, which technically is a post. Yes, I get it’s going to trigger ocd for some, but with a little deco you can hide it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I believe the only tile missing is the exact nw corner tile, which technically is a post. Yes, I get it’s going to trigger ocd for some, but with a little deco you can hide it.
Not that it's "missing" it's that you can NOT place in that spot... the game will not allow it. I tried like heck when I did my Keep... as I left that as the 1 small tile and try as I might to get something to place in that corner it told me it "wasn't in my house"... how can my house not be in my house? I asked Bleak about it some time ago... and he had no clue. You simply can not recreate the crenellations in the NW corners ... at all unless as I previously stated the design in question leaves a 1 tile gap all the way around the building... which pretty much means you are having a much smaller footprint and losing a lot of tile space so if you thought rooms were cramped before... well they are even more so if you leave that gap. You have to leave it blank... which looks..... BAD. Even if you try to "hide" it... it becomes glaringly obvious... Yes, you could put a large tree there to cover it or something but it still is there like a big gaping hole. And yes it triggers my OCD.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not that it's "missing" it's that you can NOT place in that spot... the game will not allow it. I tried like heck when I did my Keep... as I left that as the 1 small tile and try as I might to get something to place in that corner it told me it "wasn't in my house"... how can my house not be in my house? I asked Bleak about it some time ago... and he had no clue. You simply can not recreate the crenellations in the NW corners ... at all unless as I previously stated the design in question leaves a 1 tile gap all the way around the building... which pretty much means you are having a much smaller footprint and losing a lot of tile space so if you thought rooms were cramped before... well they are even more so if you leave that gap. You have to leave it blank... which looks..... BAD. Even if you try to "hide" it... it becomes glaringly obvious... Yes, you could put a large tree there to cover it or something but it still is there like a big gaping hole. And yes it triggers my OCD.
No offense, but I would hardly call the difference here a gaping hole, and would certainly not require a large tree to cover it...
1641594357153.png

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
No offense, but I would hardly call the difference here a gaping hole, and would certainly not require a large tree to cover it...
View attachment 124748
That is just one square which you can place in the menu... I'm talking about this:
1641594578663.png

Trying to do this in the Menu is impossible... and you can NOT add these after you build it with the 1 tile all around... can NOT be done.

This is on a Normal Castle:
1641594903233.png

When I created my Keep I intended to recreate this here:

1641594991360.png

But found that it is IMPOSSIBLE... as the game believes that corner to not be in your house. So it would be EMPTY and the rest would be there but you can't put anything on that corner.

So you can NOT put the crenellations in afterward.. with the tiles you can build ... as it can't be done. Which is annoying as hell... You can put them anywhere but the NW corners...

Was able to reproduce the Crenellations here:
1641595249440.png

But doing the rooftop found that it wasn't possible to put them in the NW area... which was irriating...

Last edited:

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That is just one square which you can place in the menu... I'm talking about this:
View attachment 124749

Trying to do this in the Menu is impossible... and you can NOT add these after you build it with the 1 tile all around... can NOT be done.

This is on a Normal Castle:
View attachment 124751

When I created my Keep I intended to recreate this here:

View attachment 124752

But found that it is IMPOSSIBLE... as the game believes that corner to not be in your house. So it would be EMPTY and the rest would be there but you can't put anything on that corner.

So you can NOT put the crenellations in afterward.. with the tiles you can build ... as it can't be done. Which is annoying as hell... You can put them anywhere but the NW corners...

Was able to reproduce the Crenellations here:
View attachment 124753

But doing the rooftop found that it wasn't possible to put them in the NW area... which was irriating...
You can in fact place the crafted stone borders on the forth floor in the nw corner for all tiles EXCEPT the exact corner post. I'm on test if you don't believe me. (use GC)
1641595930708.png 1641596567965.png

Last edited:

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
These new designs are looking really great

I do wish they would just allow us to have are own unique design though

just let’s customize are own plots already

Donzer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You can in fact place the crafted stone borders on the forth floor in the nw corner for all tiles EXCEPT the exact corner post. I'm on test if you don't believe me. (use GC)
View attachment 124754 View attachment 124755
is this because it is the custom plots, because I know it is possible to place on that spot on an old style castle. Just need to raise a tile from ground floor and up.
Or maybe I am misunderstanding this issue?

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
is this because it is the custom plots, because I know it is possible to place on that spot on an old style castle. Just need to raise a tile from ground floor and up.
Or maybe I am misunderstanding this issue?
You might be misunderstanding. I don’t believe custom or prefab makes a difference unless it is a lower story (below the roof on a 3 story structure)… unless you do like Malag said and leave those tiles empty when you build the lower stories.

Donzer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You might be misunderstanding. I don’t believe custom or prefab makes a difference unless it is a lower story (below the roof on a 3 story structure)… unless you do like Malag said and leave those tiles empty when you build the lower stories.
So it simply has to do with the height? Cause I do have crafted walls in that corner on my castle, last one I would guess is at a height of around 70.
castle corner.png

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So it simply has to do with the height? Cause I do have crafted walls in that corner on my castle, last one I would guess is at a height of around 70.
View attachment 124763
There may be more ways than I am aware of, but I do know how to get one in that spot for a regular castle and it does have to do with height... that prefab roof for a castle is on top of a second story rather than on top of a third story.

I make no claim to knowing all the tricks, but I've never been able to find a way to get one in that spot on the 4th story if all the walls are prefab below it.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I went on my other account and made a darker one more like for a evil mage this is only after 2hrs will work on it more but think it looks good so far. and yes iI know about the missing floor tile. 1641618293220.png

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I really like the front setup you have there.
Thanks. Its a little less fortress and a little more mansion. I've tried to leave the inside as open as possible for granite customization. I did the roof as all grass so its easier to customize there with granite tiles (granite tiles are cheaper than grass tiles). Still not committed on the lower level atrium.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
First account design was left pretty open for customization. Here is a second account design with a tad less of that, but definitely more fun! (credit to drinn for the screenshot inspiration)

1641654774391.png 1641654829107.png 1641654941104.png 1641655604990.png

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I went on my other account and made a darker one more like for a evil mage this is only after 2hrs will work on it more but think it looks good so far. and yes iI know about the missing floor tile. View attachment 124765

Similar to the 18x18 I wanted to try to re-create. I love that set. This house was built AGES ago, you can see the rift pillars I have that I lost when the house fell :(

1641660141101.png

I went lighter with the design though and left the roofs off because they don't look that good lol
1641660215353.png

1641660237691.png

Lots of open space, I like open concept designs irl as well, let the furniture be your walls and let the whole floor plan flow a bit. There are stairs but I added tele tiles too.

I did use the darker tile set as well but I figured not a lot of people would be interested in something like that.

(And yes I did the floor tiles that way on purpose)

1641660401792.png

1641660430787.png

This one is still a work in progress.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
What do castle owners want see in new castle designs? I'm sure it varies for each individual but is there a common thread? Maximum space for displaying stuff? Deco potential? Are giant open areas more desired? Is it absolutely necessary to be 3 stories across the whole design (ex: a 3 story keep next to a 2 story manor house)? Is it reasonable to leave tiles open for the addition of ladders once placed? How necessary/desired are teleporters?
I think a small township design or village design would be interesting.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think a small township design or village design would be interesting.
That's kinda what my second design, a few posts up was shooting for. I've made a few tweeks since posting the pics for accessibility and to appease a little of my OCD.

Anyone who wants to see it in person, its on the western side of Gravewater Lake in Malas. Called Town Square by Gargio Armani.

Last edited:

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's kinda what my second design, a few posts up was shooting for. I've made a few tweeks since posting the pics for accessibility and to appease a little of my OCD.

Anyone who wants to see it in person, its on the western side of Gravewater Lake in Malas. Called Town Square by Gargio Armani.
Really nice design! If it wins, will you be bringing it to NH? Hehehehe.

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Going to try for a small keep and village. Still a work in progress but I'm happy I was able to experiment with the curved stone walls.

Attachments

AdamPD

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Love seeing all these different designs, they look amazing.
I wish official UO had something similar to a system on freeshards called "Pelops resurrection" (weird name, but eh), it was basically a tool that let you target any static item in the world and use it as decoration in your home.
Some of the designs made with that tool were simply amazing.

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Love seeing all these different designs, they look amazing.
I wish official UO had something similar to a system on freeshards called "Pelops resurrection" (weird name, but eh), it was basically a tool that let you target any static item in the world
Ahhh I would be in UO heaven.

Last edited:

Jepeth

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm trying to make a cathedral to the virtues. While I know it's probably not everyone's cup of tea I've been having fun/pulling my hair out trying to replicate certain design elements from real life cathedrals within the house builder.

cathedral1.PNG

A nice wide shot showing the full complex. Note the nice grassy area out front for a garden or graveyard or a small player-built structure.

undercroft1.PNG

The ground level is the undercroft, accessible by a stairs down from the atrium or via secret doors from the outside. Perfect for a solemn resting place to your fallen heroes or a torture dungeon or somewhere vampires sleep: you decide!

atrium1.PNG

Walking up the steps from the outside leads you to the main knave and side transepts. Lots of rooms for pews, stained glass windows, small shrines, fountains of life, whatever or however you wish to show your devotion.

upstairs1.PNG

The upstairs can be a nice attic or crafting space. I've considered sectioning some of it off for rooms but we'll see. Notice the sky bridge connecting it to the outer bell tower. Some hidden doors also open from here the to the flying buttress' outside.

Beyond that, you've already seen the roof.

As I said, this structure probably doesn't appeal to everyone but I'd love to hear some feedback on how to make it more appropriate as a cathedral OR would definitely love to see a more experienced house builder take the subject matter on.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Teleporters to get into closed rooms? I dig it, alot
Thanks
Yes, every room has access either by door or teleport (even the church roof) …some have both just for quick access from the bottom floor to the third floor. There are also 4 secret doors embedded in the walls. Running through with your trans circle on you’ll have no trouble finding the doors or teleports.

Last edited:

Firedutch

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The trick to getting a winning entry is pretty simple...make one Mesanna likes or push alot of friends to vote for your design. The best designs dont always win......there are politics often involved. Hopefully they are better this time around...lol

Last edited: