• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Reactions

dukarlo

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been stealing in Uo since 99 and it never ceases to amaze me that to this day, people can get pretty mad. Let's hear about your best reaction from a mark that you have stolen from whether it be unflattering or complementary. I personally dont talk much snack and try to keep a low profile but the reactions inevitably follow just about every theft. Board warrior away.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Fun topic!

From what I've seen there are 4 types of reactions that you typically get from marks and they can be sorted into these groups:

The Good Sport - This guy acknowledges and respects your craft. He understands the time and skill that we put into doing what we do. They will typically congratulate you on your new found treasures and perhaps politely ask for a buyback. They are not very common, and it is always nice to find one, but honestly they are kind of boring for my personal taste. I know how awesome I am, the last person I need telling me so is some silly mark.

The Rager - This guy values his stuff more than his own dignity. I have heard ragers say all kinds of crazy things. I have had them call me every name in the book, they like to make their silly empty threats and go on about how they are going to kill you every time they see you (which is extra hilarious if you are wearing a disguise kit), I have even had one page a GM on me. These guys are my absolute favorite and are the reason why I do what I do. They are much more common than "The Good Sport" but it still takes a bit to find a good one.

The Silent - Not much to say about this guy. He's either too dumb to realize what happened to him or he's raging inside and doesn't want to sacrifice his dignity by showing it. I like to assume it's the former, but I know that generally it's the latter. These guys are about equally as common as ragers and they are the most boring of them all. Usually when I encounter one I try to goad some kind of reaction out of them because, let's face it, reactions are the best part of stealing and at least to me, not getting one is unacceptable.

The Pretender - This is probably the most common type of mark. These guys like to pretend that they aren't crying on their keyboards as they tell you how worthless the item(s) you took from them are. They say things like "I hope you enjoy my garbage," or "I was about to throw that away anyway." It is because of these guys that those of us in THIEF [^_^] often say "Everything you steal becomes worthless as soon as you get away." We're not dumb, we usually have some idea of the value of items before we take them. Why else would we take them? Also, I really don't care about the item's value to the mark, after I take it, it's mine anyway. If you are this type of mark, you should know that we are making fun of you to our thief friends behind your back and we know that you are secretly crying at your desk, trying to hide it doesn't help.

I will probably come back to this thread from time to time to update it with some more specific examples but I'm at work now and don't have easy access to my screenshots.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I stole this guys boat and house key. I guess he was an in game friend of one of my aunts that played. I didn't know it at the time. My brother and I looted him dry. He chased me down and my brother and I killed him. He got my contact information from my aunt and actually called the police and told them I was harassing him and threatening to kill him. When they realized he was talking about a video game after I told them what happened, the detective that called me almost lost his **** on the phone lol.

dukarlo

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As far as types of reactions go I have also come across the "the do you know who I am?" guy. That is the guy who makes it seem as tho he is ultra important and somehow he is going to get you blacklisted and make your uo time a living hell etc. This guy usually go away after a couple minutes of ranting and raving.
The rager guy definately exists as well. One time I found a guy afk in town with a full pack. When I snooped him I couldn't believe my luck. This guy had a ridiculous amount of stuff on him. I stole 5 taming pinks with 5 full pts of taming skill on each and a 120 fishing scroll from him. There was more on him him but he returned to his keyboard. The first thing he said was "oh bleep!" I'm a good sport and might have even given him some of it back except for the fact that he started calling me every name in the book and then accused me of being a rl thief. Apparently this guy had just paid real money for a bunch of gold and had been on an I'll fated shopping spree. He paged a GM and when the GM arrived I was told by the GM that I did nothing wrong. The guy literally raged for at least another hour. To this day I have never seen someone rage like this guy.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
As far as types of reactions go I have also come across the "the do you know who I am?" guy. That is the guy who makes it seem as tho he is ultra important and somehow he is going to get you blacklisted and make your uo time a living hell etc. This guy usually go away after a couple minutes of ranting and raving.
The rager guy definately exists as well. One time I found a guy afk in town with a full pack. When I snooped him I couldn't believe my luck. This guy had a ridiculous amount of stuff on him. I stole 5 taming pinks with 5 full pts of taming skill on each and a 120 fishing scroll from him. There was more on him him but he returned to his keyboard. The first thing he said was "oh bleep!" I'm a good sport and might have even given him some of it back except for the fact that he started calling me every name in the book and then accused me of being a rl thief. Apparently this guy had just paid real money for a bunch of gold and had been on an I'll fated shopping spree. He paged a GM and when the GM arrived I was told by the GM that I did nothing wrong. The guy literally raged for at least another hour. To this day I have never seen someone rage like this guy.
We seem to know some of the same people.

Wow... Accused of being a thief IRL, that's a new one even for me. Great steal by the way, I hope you were slamming that screenshot macro.

I group the "do you know who I am" guys in with the ragers since rage often follows.

Last edited:

Rat

Visitor
I often get (and always enjoy) the good old "What did you take?". Never fails to make me chuckle. Although I very rarely (verbally) interact with my marks, the only proper answer to this is if you don't know, then it wasn't important to you. Then I just walk away. It's so common, am considering setting up a macro for the answer :tongue:

Everything you steal becomes worthless as soon as you get away
So true. It was precious enough to let it clutter their backpack, but once it's in ours, it magically turns into yet another piece of junk. So I always consider having succeeded in my -difficult- quest to help people improve their letting go skill and thus, their quality of life!

"the do you know who I am?" guy
Never had this kind of reaction, but it sure would make me lulz

Last edited:

Ungoliant

Journeyman
I never stole a house key; however my wife lost ours a few times along with the rune to the house...
I did manage to stealth into houses behind the owners without their knowledge. What a rush! Get out of the way and wait them out. Did I take stuff that wasn't mine afterwards? Well, yeah... of course I did. Karma has kicked my ass a few times since then. At least there was some skill involved in stealthing in undetected as opposed to stealing the keys and rune. I sleep fine though either way.

Not exactly on topic but this was done with my thief character.