• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pets for Soloing Bosses

Venomous

Visitor
Is there a thread which aggregates suggested pets (+temps) to solo different bosses/peerless as a tamer?

While I enjoy Ultima Online for the multiplayer aspect, there are times I'm unable to find additional players due to time constraints or other issues, so I'm trying to get maximum flexibility here.

I think the first boss I'd be interested in soloing is Medusa. I've read in threads (the one about soloing as a tamer, that pointed to Egodon and discussed roof's loot being supreme), mentioned soloing Medusa.

While slightly off-topic, it seems like luck helps more after coming back this time. Any thoughts on that? Just my anecdotal, skewed experience.

Thanks for any insights offered.

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
I haven’t found that pets are great for solo peerless bosses.

Medusa clones pets so that’s not ideal. Paroxysmus is absolutely no pets because it instant eats pets and heals to max.

I think dread horn is ok for a pet.And I would use a lesser hiryu.

Navrey night eyes is very good to solo and you have a chance to get a tangle drop. I would suggest a fire beetle or maybe a 100% fire damage drake.

If you are a necro tamer or bard tamer to debuff bosses, wrestling mastery on a fire beetle is supposed to be super strong.
Otherwise it’s mostly rune corrupt and armor ignore for beetles.

And chiv armor ignore for most other pets.

Underwater boss and roof are the current places that give top level loot. Peerless is mostly not worth it in terms of loot.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Each playstyle temp and pets will be different.... this is mine:

Mage/SW/Tamer with stacked SDI...

Medusa? Cake.. can take anything honestly, I have fought her with almost every level 5 pet I have. Wear Gorgon Lenses, cast gift of renewal on pet, invis. Renewal wears off, recast and invis... pet gets cloned, call pet to you, once it comes, make pet attack clone while stationary, cast on cloned pet, cloned pet vanishes, put pet back on Medusa... rinse, repeat....

Paroxy? Above poster is correct. Never take a pet or mount

Dread Horn? I take my AI/AP Naja. Sure, it's a long fight that way, but I ain't gotta spam arch cure. Have also taken it with AI Cu and Triton (in the link below)

Navery? Soloable with a level 4 and some level 3 pets. I only do Nav when training them up.

Lady Mel? Travesty? Shimmering? Cu, Triton, GD.. most any will work if you get the tactics of the fight correct.

Roof? For me the Triton The Lazy Tamer's Guide - Roof's Final 4

In today's UO most everything (with a few exceptions) is able to be taken out solo IF you employ the right strategies.

Luck? To me that is hit or miss. Have not seen a massive change in it over the years.

One additional note: I still personally despise the Chiv/AI builds unless I am hitting an area that has only one thing spawning.

Venomous

Visitor
Thanks for the responses. I guess I thought Medusa would be harder to manage due to the additional initial spawn and cloning of pets.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Thanks for the responses. I guess I thought Medusa would be harder to manage due to the additional initial spawn and cloning of pets.
I mean the initial part CAN be a little rough at times if you let it get out of control. If you have a second client you may want to take the second char in with you just to park in the corner in case you die (not sure if you get booted out if ya die or not as I have never died fighting her solo lol)...

Strategy tip on the beginning for ya:
Wait until Medusa pops a couple of critters, if one is close to you it is no huge deal to take out for a stack sdi tamer (other temps I can't really speak to). Once she pops a few, pull the pet off of her, roll around and kill the spawn off. Go back to her, let her pop a couple others. If you play a mage pretty well you can run around killing off the spawn making trips back to heal/vet pet back up or check for clone etc if you need to... but typically Gift of Renewal and a healing type pet is enough to withstand her onslaught until you get back.

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
If you’re doing peerless, it’s easy to find people to do it with you. And I don’t think it makes you receive meaningfully less loot if you have a few in your party.
The only thing of value is really a good artifact drop from peerless. If you want legendary loot, join an underwater boss run.

if you have the keys done for a peerless just ask in gen chat and you’ll get people to help.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is an Ankh at Medusa. Just don't drag mobs to it.