• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Dread Warhorse

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
because you can't get them any more.
And people love it when you say "trick"

Maldar

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They were only available during the Vanguard Invasion event in Spring of 2008. They are significantly stronger than Nightmares and a little stronger than Dragons.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
They were only available during the Vanguard Invasion event in Spring of 2008. They are significantly stronger than Nightmares and a little stronger than Dragons.
They are likely close to dragons, just like you say, but less strong than greater dragons.
Doubt that spending 1P for one untrained would be worth it for PvM. Usually PvP folks kinda like these. Also PvP higher end PvP'ers likely have the gold to spend on these. Mine stays in the stable, untrained, just a decoration. Had it for long time, sentimental value mostly. Keeps company to my untrained Bane also sentimental pet. No use. The other Bane I got who is 120'd Chiv/AI, keeps company to both of them in the stables cause he is nervous about the pet unbonding issues and rumors.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They Have fewer build points than a PP Nightmare. The only other difference is they do 25% poison damage instead of Energy. They have the same starting abilities as a Nightmare.
They are difficult to build AI/Chiv because they do not have enough points for all the regens.

Mine eats Dragons I dont know what the **** yall are talking about.

Ning

Journeyman
I got a dread a few days ago. Went back to my friends account (the one I got the nice PP whiteys from) and found one I had overlooked. I don't know much about them really but I figured it would be great to have. Is there a preferred PvM build for them? I noticed the lack of points for a chiv/AI build, well, no version that would rival the whitey when trained anyhow. Are they primarily PvP-centric mounts? Which would sorta be disappointing since I haven't PvP'ed since factions in like 02 and I was garbage at it back then.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
If you do not PvP, and if you do not or can in no way get 120 PS for the dread, It will stay in the stable indefinitely wasting stable slot space. For no reason other than take him/her out of stable on occasion to impress others with the puff of useless smoke with "trick". I.e. it is otherwise a collectible.
Collectibles can cost many plats. This is one of them. This collectible is now usually worth about 1 plat UNTRAINED.
So if you need the gold, and the above arguments are true, and you have no emotional investment in it: I would sell for 1 Plat or so to finance my UO gaming experience. 1 Plat would take Loooooong years to accumulate legally esp. for new characters, since you'll need to do Roof and high end content and then be lucky enough to sell your Cameos etc for decent price on Atl etc.
For some people it is easier to make 1 Plat than others. Esp. if UO is main occupation..But..
On the other hand if you already have a bankroll of 10-100 Plats, then it a different story.

Ning

Journeyman
Thank you Celticus. It is certainly untrained, most of my pets currently are. I was initially waiting for it to bond and use it as a more buff replacement for my current mare. Something to ride around on but can whack the occasional critter when I feel like it. I don't do any high end content, just casual farming in places I'm familiar. Killing the AW in Destard or the stray greater dragon is about as badass as I get. I have a deal in the works now to sell some PP pets to another guy which would give me enough gold to probably live out my Sonoma existence indefinitely. There's pretty much nothing to buy there anyway. I guess since I've got better options to train up for PvM I'll probably just keep it as a rider. Thank you for the advice.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Nice! Make sure you get the right prices for all the PP pets you have. Don't get shorted. I agree with keeping the Dread just for keepsake, and not training it. It will likely shrink in market value when you train it in any way. The other PP's I would probably keep one of each (PP mare, PP WW etc.) and sell the rest at the correct values. Careful if you have any Bane Dragons also. They are also usually selling at about 1P untrained. Would keep one of them for yourself, then don't train unless you really have trained 3-4 other "disposable" pets like Cus etc, then train at TC1 first, and finally use uo-cah.com training calculator, and finally check with the Bane experts here.
Good luck and welcome to the new Taming. I know it is a little(?) convoluted, but lots of fun.;)

Jimmydeanbean

Journeyman
Curious about this thread. I have a dread warhorse myself. It's a pretty decent one but and it sits in my stable since I have better PP Nightmares with better stats and points to spend. I'm curious as to what people use a dread warhorse for in PvP. What sort of build do you go with for a PvP pet? What sort of character build do you synergize with this PvP pet?

Last edited:

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Curious about this thread. I have a dread warhorse myself. It's a pretty decent one but and it sits in my stable since I have better PP Nightmares with better stats and points to spend. I'm curious as to what people use a dread warhorse for in PvP. What sort of build do you go with for a PvP pet? What sort of character build do you synergize with this PvP pet?
Tamers aren't great at pvp. Unless you can dismount someone in confined area where they cant block pets. If they can poison your pet, you cant mount and they will roll you if you aren't fast enough.

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk

Jimmydeanbean

Journeyman
Tamers aren't great at pvp. Unless you can dismount someone in confined area where they cant block pets. If they can poison your pet, you cant mount and they will roll you if you aren't fast enough.

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk
Oh yeah, I understand that tamers are not very good at PvP. I've only successfully fought off some reds a few times with my tamer, usually with my Bane since he can keep them busy with deadly poisons while I cast spells and heal myself. Plus I always keep some orange petals on me when I'm in PK territory. But if there were some other pets that would do better at PvP, I'm just curious what that would be, as I know people have PvP pet builds. I know some people will have a pet with Mortal Strike as an attack to eliminate healing abilities, except for Life Leech and natural regen of course.

I'm more so looking at this from a standpoint of I have a dreadmare, I don't have much use for it except to say trick to it on occasion, I don't PvP with my tamer but if PvP is forced on me, is there a pet build that would do better and are there other skills I could consider having on a stone for when I'll be in PK territory.

Ansel

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
The reason the Dread became popular - you couldn't give them away at first - was its ability to kill people faster than any other pet in the game. Plus there's no slayer for it, unlike the Bane Dragon.

But all pets were nerfed in PvP.

Long ago, I used Dreads the way most folks used Cu Sidhes. Of course, the Cu is more powerful, heals with bandages, etc. But all my characters were human. There were no elves at the beginning of the game. Now...well...still have mostly humans. It's the beard ;)