• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Anyone else miss the simpler times?

croy6325

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
When most were either a battle mage, dexxer, or a tamer.
Armor didn't give stats, damage reduction was based off the armor type.
Valorite plate armor showed how rich you were.
Artifacts didn't exist, everyone used gm gear
Gathering plain logs, ore, and leather were worthwhile
Chaos vs Order
equipping a knife and sparring another player was method of skilling up
Deceit Bone wall
Liches were scary if you didn't have a silver weapon
Dragons ate players

This is the UO i miss

Oblivion

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Chaos vs Order
Deceit Bone wall
Dragons ate players

This is the UO i miss
Perhaps New Legacy will help with this. A lot of us are hoping for a simpler and more nostalgic time.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Chaos vs Order
Deceit Bone wall
Dragons ate players

This is the UO i miss
Yep.

Oblivion

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Only Consensual Pvp. And I'd bet the same with your thief (vvv chars only). No nostalgia there.
There was much more to the original post than just PvP.

Didn’t imply it would be exactly the same although that is what I wish. We don’t have enough detail yet to come to a conclusion. Being selfish since you said it - all I know is that they have stuff in store for thieves. I’ll more of a judge when I have more information. Same with the other elements of PvP.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
There was much more to the original post than just PvP.

Didn’t imply it would be exactly the same although that is what I wish. We don’t have enough detail yet to come to a conclusion. Being selfish since you said it - all I know is that they have stuff in store for thieves. I’ll more of a judge when I have more information. Same with the other elements of PvP.
I want to start by saying that I agree with you 100% that thieving is PvP. But "Consensual PvP" and "Classic UO" (ie nostalgia) are very different and are on opposite ends of the spectrum and even the Dev team used examples of nostalgia that were doing things back in the day and being worried if a gate opened there would be "murderers pouring out".

That said, I don't think there is truly the same nostalgia of "Classic UO" with a consensual PvP system in place (whether it be VvV/factions/etc) or insurance. The whole sense of nostalgia of the early days was the risk (and resulting rush) from leaving town doing whatever and seeing a red player run onto the screen (a true fight or flight moment). When you have insurance & the ability to opt in to fighting that completely negates any risk and honestly completely hinders a thief template (unless you are stealing rares or from monsters).

It won't happen but I'm all for removing consensual PvP "option" and insurance on Legacy so that it does bring back the feel of early UO and risk vs reward. If you don't want to risk leaving town protection then play a town type profession like crafter (buy your resources). If you do risk leaving town then be prepared for whatever happens (at the end of the day UO Classic world is still huge) but also know that you can potentially make much more for your risk on your adventure. That's true classic UO; not everyone running around wearing the best gear the game has to offer without any fear of other players all while getting the best rewards the game has to offer.

Oblivion

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
I want to start by saying that I agree with you 100% that thieving is PvP. But "Consensual PvP" and "Classic UO" (ie nostalgia) are very different and are on opposite ends of the spectrum and even the Dev team used examples of nostalgia that were doing things back in the day and being worried if a gate opened there would be "murderers pouring out".

That said, I don't think there is truly the same nostalgia of "Classic UO" with a consensual PvP system in place (whether it be VvV/factions/etc) or insurance. The whole sense of nostalgia of the early days was the risk (and resulting rush) from leaving town doing whatever and seeing a red player run onto the screen (a true fight or flight moment). When you have insurance & the ability to opt in to fighting that completely negates any risk and honestly completely hinders a thief template (unless you are stealing rares or from monsters).

It won't happen but I'm all for removing consensual PvP "option" and insurance on Legacy so that it does bring back the feel of early UO and risk vs reward. If you don't want to risk leaving town protection then play a town type profession like crafter (buy your resources). If you do risk leaving town then be prepared for whatever happens (at the end of the day UO Classic world is still huge) but also know that you can potentially make much more for your risk on your adventure. That's true classic UO; not everyone running around wearing the best gear the game has to offer without any fear of other players all while getting the best rewards the game has to offer.
I’m in agreement as well - I already made the point about insurance and risk vs. reward in the official forums and they addressed it with what they said in the newsletter. Not exactly what I would want - but I understand the balance aspect of why. I’ll say it with many things - that comes down to the implementation and framework. I think the goal is to get that level of risk but also alleviate a lot of the trolling that would happen.

I.E - insurance won’t matter as much if most of the high end loot is cursed to begin with. But some basic low end stuff could be insured. Just an example if they went that route. Essentially that is how Classic UO works

Or that certain areas disregard PvP consent and is a free for all. The balance of having safe havens for some areas, but not entirely everywhere makes sense. This should be for more of the high level or end game content.

I.E - don’t know if they still have it - but the “Young” status type of deal where you can only access certain areas to start leveling and learn the game. Wouldn’t recommend someone young going to somewhere it would be a PvP blood bath. Don’t even think they could if I remember the system correctly.

Opt in system like factions that allows you to be attack on site anywhere would be awesome to have like old school Order vs. Chaos / Factions and now VvV.

I would say they should go the angle of having PvP zones with the right level of balance. But PvM end game stagnates because there is less risk involved. Basically how they treat power scrolls today.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Ya the good old days. Can't dig for more than 3 seconds at the Minoc mine before someone kills you. Then stand around a bank and wait for someone to get caught snooping and then run to the body like the other vultures hoping to grab something. Having some one steal your items and them taunt you to the NPC where they sell the item. Take a gate that appears and run behind a tree and hide hoping to sneak out and loot a body or just watch the fight.

I found none of that fun sorry.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
All Kill
Invis
Invis
Invis
Invis
Loot (but probably not)

Way more exciting. But wait, you want more excitement, let's go to my stable and get one of the other 43 AI/chiv cus that I have. Ooooo.... This one is blue.... How exciting.

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Chaos vs Order
Deceit Bone wall
Dragons ate players

This is the UO i miss
Yes and no. I think more than anything I miss the sense of wonder that I had when I first started playing. I was in my mid-teens, a bit aloof, and had an easy time escaping into a full fledged online world. Everything was new; the emotions were raw. That time in my life is gone, though, and I don't think any shard (or any other game honestly) could fully recapture the feeling of playing UO in the late 90s/early 2000s for me. I've played freeshards with classic rulesets but it just isn't the same because I'm not 15 anymore and that sense of wonder I had went out with alt-rock and JNCO jeans.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Ya the good old days. Can't dig for more than 3 seconds at the Minoc mine before someone kills you. Then stand around a bank and wait for someone to get caught snooping and then run to the body like the other vultures hoping to grab something. Having some one steal your items and them taunt you to the NPC where they sell the item. Take a gate that appears and run behind a tree and hide hoping to sneak out and loot a body or just watch the fight.

Do you want a true nostalgia feel or do you not? You are obviously still playing so it doesn't sound like it was so not fun that you quit. That said, if you didn't enjoy old UO then you wouldn't have to play the new shard and you could feel free to play in the comfort of your home shard with all the insurance and trammel rule sets. You have said in other threads you don't think this is a starter/feeder shard so if that's the case and the Devs are truly looking for nostalgia then non-consensual PvP is it if they really are looking to bring in returning players and have some vets play it (otherwise we can just stay on our home shards and count all of our shiny prizes in our houses).

Putting in rules like their are now is just going to lead to the same environment we have now (ie. just stay on your home shard if that's what you want).

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I think if they had set the new shard just before AoS it would be really popular, if they go too far back then more unpleasant memories will deter many people from even having a look. I remember the community from pre-AoS and I was one of the unlucky people who was robbed of their armour, but I still have mostly good memories of the players back then, in Trammel at least.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Way more exciting. But wait, you want more excitement, let's go to my stable and get one of the other 43 AI/chiv cus that I have. Ooooo.... This one is blue.... How exciting.
I spend hours a day doing that or decorating. The simpler times are now. LS chat is full of players talking about doing the quest or blackthorns or roof with their AI/Chiv Cus. None being harassed by anyone.

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Chaos vs Order
Deceit Bone wall
Dragons ate players

This is the UO i miss
This is a serious question. Why is it no matter what the devs do with pvp - you guys all come back to order & chaos was the best thing since sliced bread and nothing is or will ever be as good? This is an honest question. Because as a non-pvper, it all looks the same to me. People running around killing the opposite faction anywhere at anytime.

Whitewolf of *VK*

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Chaos vs Order
Deceit Bone wall
Dragons ate players

This is the UO i miss
this is the UO i also miss, sadly this can and will never happen again, even if they come out with a pre AOS server you will never have this, peoples mentality has changed to much, society as a whole has changed to be for this to ever be. Back then it was about community now its all about greed, sure you always had scammers and and thieves, but they where far between, now days they make up for over half the population it seems like, and sadly this isnotjustUO this is in real everyday life as well, i work for a major retail chain and i see it getting worse every day

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
this is the UO i also miss, sadly this can and will never happen again, even if they come out with a pre AOS server you will never have this, peoples mentality has changed to much, society as a whole has changed to be for this to ever be. Back then it was about community now its all about greed, sure you always had scammers and and thieves, but they where far between, now days they make up for over half the population it seems like, and sadly this isnotjustUO this is in real everyday life as well, i work for a major retail chain and i see it getting worse every day
I agree that the society wide bad behavior is worse overall because it has been purposely cultivated to be that way. In the early days of MMO's, people had to rely on each other and things were more co-operative than now. The game mechanics supported that type of behavior. Now (and have been for over 10 yrs) MMO's are about the individual experience and not the groups. The behavior you describe has been purposely cultivated to make more money. Just like consumerism. Screw everyone as long as I can get my 15 flavors of whatever I want & when I want it.

The old feelings that so many of us - yes I include myself - miss has to do with the newness of everything back then. I extensively played and was at the beginning of two of the most important MMOs ever - Ultima Online & Everquest. Both of them were horrible pieces of coding in the beginning. But we loved them. We grew up on them. I miss the hell out of the uniqueness of what they were. The sense of wonder & the unknown. The people I worked with thought I was insane & weird when I would talk about them. Now there are clones & shadows of these games all over - and none of them come close. But as the old saying goes, you can't go home again.

Take off the rose colored glasses regarding UO's past. The most celebrated "hall of fame" moments in UO history throughout the internet & even Broadsword developement team are acts / events that by any standards of decent conduct would be called atrocious. Tons of people behaved like murdering, thieving animals back in the "dread days". There were entire guilds dedicated to ruining peoples gaming experience. This is fact. On GL there was a guild called Satan (I think) dedicated to screwing people over. The guild leader was interviewed and basically expained that he felt it was his roleplaying obligation to be as evil as possible and the guild was about messing people over and that no one was safe from them on the server. Even Richard Garriott admitted that he and the original development team were shocked how many people embraced evil in the game. UO was after all a moral experiment. The reason Trammel exists is that so many people got sick of being murdered, scammed, exploited, hunted down, harassed, and made miserable on a daily basis that they began to leave. Yeah.... it was only a "few" people doing this. I was there in the earlier years. A guildmate & I got sick of it all & we left for Everquest - a game that was fundamentally designed to support grouping, co-operation, & socializing. I came back to UO after Renaissance a couple of years later.

Last edited:

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
This period didn't exist. Here are but a few examples of why not.

Items always had properties, they were just different -- in particular, I note that armor had Armor Rating and that Rating was based on more than armor type. For example plate could have a different Armor Rating based on if it was NPC bought, player made, GM player made, magical from loot, etc. I see that you mentioned Valorite? So you're already remembering a more-complex time when materials mattered a lot and could mightily effect the stats of the armor and weapons. Like, a lot. Opinions on Chaos and Order have differed a lot, some really liking it and considering it superior PvP in that you could be attacked in all facets, and some considering it inferior to Factions. Artifacts always existed they just had different names -- like "A Silver Katana of Force." The Deceit bone wall could, let's face it, be pretty grindy, and was vulnerable to exploitation anyway. Forcing folks to have to participate in non-consensual PvP systems or kowtow to those who did hurt the game once actual competition arose.

You've essentially invented a time that didn't really exist and are calling it "simpler" in a manner that puts it in what you feel to be a positive light. "Simple" was "boring" to some. Not me, to be sure. I thought AoS went way too far but I adapted.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Those simpler times? What I miss was having a house on all the USA shards, even if was a small tower or sandstone, I play across several shards attending events, EM or player. And have to stay at the inns of our world. Have you seen some of the rooms at Luna across those shards? The junk people leave and there no maid server to turn down the bed. The constant in and out downstairs from the shops how is one to get rest for the upcoming battle, if only I had mine own place like "those simpler times".

deadite

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I played UO pretty hard till AOS. It came out around the same time I became a father and I could never really be bothered to relearn the game. Needing a spreadsheet to put a suit together bugged me. I played on and off for a while, but never like I did pre-AOS. I was pretty annoyed at OSI for changing things so drastically.

What I realized somewhat recently is that it wasn't really the game -- it was my phase of life. I was a new dad, I had bigger priorities with family and work and I let myself drift from UO. Now that the kid is about to graduate high school, I've found myself digging back into the game. I jumped on some classic private shards for a bit but it wasn't clicking for some reason. They felt small and limited. I'm not interested in PVP or being super social, so really what's left? Then I came back to OSI and I'm starting to get the bug again... there is SO MUCH to do... so much I haven't seen. I started a spreadsheet for my gear and builds. I'm ready to start new characters and try out some new templates. Spellweaving, Mysticism, Imbuing... all new concepts to me. I'm excited to be back and I'm glad the game has continued to grow and change while I was away.

The new shard sounds interesting. I don't love that it's seasonal, but the concept is neat. Definitely interested in more details. But until then, I have a LOT of work on Atlantic to do...

Those simpler times? What I miss was having a house on all the USA shards, even if was a small tower or sandstone, I play across several shards attending events, EM or player. And have to stay at the inns of our world. Have you seen some of the rooms at Luna across those shards? The junk people leave and there no maid server to turn down the bed. The constant in and out downstairs from the shops how is one to get rest for the upcoming battle, if only I had mine own place like "those simpler times".
I mean lets be honest you only had a house on one shard so why pretend like you had one on all USA shards? You never did.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I played UO pretty hard till AOS. It came out around the same time I became a father and I could never really be bothered to relearn the game. Needing a spreadsheet to put a suit together bugged me. I played on and off for a while, but never like I did pre-AOS. I was pretty annoyed at OSI for changing things so drastically.

What I realized somewhat recently is that it wasn't really the game -- it was my phase of life. I was a new dad, I had bigger priorities with family and work and I let myself drift from UO. Now that the kid is about to graduate high school, I've found myself digging back into the game. I jumped on some classic private shards for a bit but it wasn't clicking for some reason. They felt small and limited. I'm not interested in PVP or being super social, so really what's left? Then I came back to OSI and I'm starting to get the bug again... there is SO MUCH to do... so much I haven't seen. I started a spreadsheet for my gear and builds. I'm ready to start new characters and try out some new templates. Spellweaving, Mysticism, Imbuing... all new concepts to me. I'm excited to be back and I'm glad the game has continued to grow and change while I was away.

The new shard sounds interesting. I don't love that it's seasonal, but the concept is neat. Definitely interested in more details. But until then, I have a LOT of work on Atlantic to do...
Welcome back!!

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Chaos vs Order
Deceit Bone wall
Dragons ate players

This is the UO i miss
The thing is, you can start a new character and most those things will be meanigfull to you again for a good month or two (depending on your own pace). Just life has moved on, and while it's fun for a day or two to skin dears for some starter money and raise taming in the woods without pinks or SoTs, it becomes rather dull on day 2 or 3 veeery quick.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The thing is, you can start a new character and most those things will be meanigfull to you again for a good month or two (depending on your own pace). Just life has moved on, and while it's fun for a day or two to skin dears for some starter money and raise taming in the woods without pinks or SoTs, it becomes rather dull on day 2 or 3 veeery quick.
Yup, I deleted a toon and made a new one to run thru the quests. I stuck him on a training dummy, The stats increased very slow and stopped around 70, the swordsman skill stopped at 30.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Yeah?
Then why did you continue to pay to play the game for years?
Hrmmmm...

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah?
Then why did you continue to pay to play the game for years?
Hrmmmm...
Try again.
I did not. I quit after T2A came out because of those things. When I came back I woke up in fel. All my stuff had stats instead of just names. I found my way to glorious Trammel where I have lived happily ever after.

projeck30

Visitor
The UO they have now is no where near as simple as it was back then. I've played UO probably for 17-18 years and I if I was a new player coming onto a server the way they are now. I'd probably leave after a week or two.

Hopefully that changes with New Legacy and they find a mix of newer systems with older systems that worked well. Im not saying it should be an all out wild west like it was where you could just res kill miners, but they have to find a balance that still let's people get the risk vs reward feeling. You take pks out the game its not UO anymore.

Keep things to much of the same, the same little community of players will be the only ones playing. Im in a discord of over 12k old UO players that how they do pvp will make or break if they come back. Not saying everyone would come back, but a good bit are talking about it, which what 12k new players is probably more then half of the servers up now population.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

With competition from EverQuest and other games, UO would have never survived without Trammel or at least some kind of PvP-switch. Yet it wasn't so much the griefing within legitimate design, but all the cheating that drove a lot away, and almost got a lot of us to quit. I give the devs back then some credit for dealing with the game's growing pains of the first couple of years, while GMs dismissed things as "a clever use of game mechanics." My first house was "stolen" after someone hidden rushed in, and though I had a powerful char with GM swords/tactics, he killed me swinging a halberd three times a second. Uzi bows (the very reason we have "You must wait to perform another action"). UOE with multi-steal and ghostwalk (I tracked Sonoma's The Colombian, who was at the top of the bounty board for a long time, through Shame and could see when I ran past him, before there was such a thing as stealth). Sphere effect. Invulnerabilty exploits. Mana vampire from scrolls costing no mana (kept a victim from recalling). Single spells doing over 100 damage. Speedhacking.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
With competition from EverQuest and other games, UO would have never survived without Trammel or at least some kind of PvP-switch. Yet it wasn't so much the griefing within legitimate design, but all the cheating that drove a lot away, and almost got a lot of us to quit. I give the devs back then some credit for dealing with the game's growing pains of the first couple of years, while GMs dismissed things as "a clever use of game mechanics." My first house was "stolen" after someone hidden rushed in, and though I had a powerful char with GM swords/tactics, he killed me swinging a halberd three times a second. Uzi bows (the very reason we have "You must wait to perform another action"). UOE with multi-steal and ghostwalk (I tracked Sonoma's The Colombian, who was at the top of the bounty board for a long time, through Shame and could see when I ran past him, before there was such a thing as stealth). Sphere effect. Invulnerabilty exploits. Mana vampire from scrolls costing no mana (kept a victim from recalling). Single spells doing over 100 damage. Speedhacking.
Yea people exploiting cheats to PvP made it not fun... but if you take those away and apply the non-trammel ruelset that's what made UO so different for me as a gamer. It basically had consequences for actions which many other games don't have. If you are a murderer you are red and open target for blues and cannot enter town limits. If you were a jerk at the bone wall or lich pit, I'd take a murder count on you for talking trash and take your stuff. Likewise, they might call a friend or two and pay me back as I'm leaving the dungeon with their stuff.

The game has become extremely soft since there aren't really any consequences anymore... where it's to the point now where people threaten to report me for invising people in tram when I'm bored and just want to clear the screen. If people don't want interaction then I think they should go play a private server with a friend where they have the whole server to to play uninterrupted.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Perhaps New Legacy will help with this. A lot of us are hoping for a simpler and more nostalgic time.
It’s it going to be a “Classic” server. They flat out said that.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Simpler UO? Right ...

I'll go with the list from the OP and would like to add the following:
1. juggling stat and skills to achieve what you want. No locks
2. thieves paradise - forget to lock your house OR don't check for invis'd toons
2a. You actully needed keys! Even for chests and crates.
3. stat limit at 225, skill limit at 700 (if I remember right)
4. various armor types caused dex penalties - plate being the worst.
5. run-thru stam loss

There's more but I'll stop here. In short, it may have been simpler in many ways but it wasn't in a lot of others.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It’s it going to be a “Classic” server. They flat out said that.
The definition of "classic" is ambiguous. This could mean day 1 of UO or pre Eodon or anything in between. Then sprinkle in some changes that were never part of UO (this is what they are hinting at for insurance etc).

Fortis

Sage
Stratics Veteran
this was good because it was the first mmo game with a world like this with slow gains skill... but with all other game around past 25 years and all expensions uo had not all of the stuff is bad....a classic shard will die whitin a month you will bored has hell...

projeck30

Visitor
A 1:1 replication of a classic era would probably die after a while, but they stated many times it wouldn't be that. Can some systems be reworked and simplified to an earlier era, sure, but that doesn't mean they won't still have newer systems on the server as well.

Take the private server outlands for instance, I think they did a great job mixing old and new together. Pvp is centered around the t2a era, but then they made bosses and weapon aspect gear for pvm. This gear you have to activate by collecting cores and extracts and level them up. You can never lose the aspect onces its activated, but you can lose the armor and weapon. They also re worked pointless skills to actually be useful.

Example of the aspect system. You make a bard and collect x amount of lyric cores and extracts to unlock the lyric aspect. You then use the aspect on a weapon like a vanq and armor set. If you die you lose the armor and weapon, but never the lyric activation. You just activate it on another set.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, I'm actually really interested in the concept, but if it's just a classic shard I won't even try it. It just sounds boring. I heard there won't even be custom houses, which is stupid. It's one of the games best features why on earth would you leave it out?
The "classic" feel shouldn't be about cutting out anything new (though I would cut out a lot of "new" stuff) rather an experience that's just more streamlined and straight forward.
I think one of the major things I dislike about what UO has become is how convoluted and inelegant so many of the systems are. They ideas are good and fun in concept, but they end up getting slogged down by unnecessary excessive minutia and tedium.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I heard there won't even be custom houses, which is stupid. It's one of the games best features why on earth would you leave it out?
It's a temporary shard that gets all housing wiped out... not sure if the intention is for people to spend a bunch of time decorating which would only be for a limited time.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I heard there won't even be custom houses, which is stupid. It's one of the games best features why on earth would you leave it out?
We used to be pretty clever in decorations. I still have a fireplace of oval shadow ore, black cloth, and kindling over communications crystals, and a bar from half-pieces of valorite tables (when chopping up destroyed a piece rather than redeeding). It's like a clunker of a first car, though, or that first Sony Walkman. As much nostalgia as there is, we have so much more today that I couldn't imagine living without.

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We used to be pretty clever in decorations. I still have a fireplace of oval shadow ore, black cloth, and kindling over communications crystals, and a bar from half-pieces of valorite tables (when chopping up destroyed a piece rather than redeeding). It's like a clunker of a first car, though, or that first Sony Walkman. As much nostalgia as there is, we have so much more today that I couldn't imagine living without.
Back in the day when houses did not have item limitations. No lock this down either. Just plop stuff on the floor. I miss seeing the creative ways people made fountains, fireplaces, aquariums, etc. Now you just buy a token - no creativity needed just cash. Welcome to micro-transactions and the death of creativity!

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's a temporary shard that gets all housing wiped out... not sure if the intention is for people to spend a bunch of time decorating which would only be for a limited time.
It's a year. That's a long time. You don't have to spend a ton of time decorating to want to make your shop or whatever look like a proper shop etc.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
They aren't necessarily doing a year. They threw that number out but told us not to hold them to it. That's a pretty long time for a season and I'd imagine it would likely be less.

croy6325

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I imagine most vets have all their character slots on their home shards used up. I just don't see the point in creating a new char on this new shard that I won't be transferring it to after the wipe.

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Yeah if it gets new players interested in subscribing then good for business. I wish them well.

But as a vet i agree theres not much interest from me.