• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Sampire weapon ..which Hit spell or hit area?

Archangel0

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So, Hit area 50%, or Hit Lightning 50%

I Just found me a Hit lightning 70%, battle lust mana drain, HSL, and love the damage it makes... . but my slayer, 100% elem. dbl axes have AoE50% ...and I was just about to comission a few more to be made.... so:
Would you choose your dbl axe to be 100elem, slayer, HML, HSL HLD, with Hit Lightning or with Hit AoE???.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
If you're in the middle of a spawn, you probably will want Hit AoE on your weapon. If you're fighting a boss, you will probably want Hit Spell. For Cold and Fire elementals in particular, I would make one axe of each.

Personally, I don't feel Hit Stam Leach is worth all that much. If you have Chiv, you can cast Divine Fury for a Stam boost. If you have a Plate / Ring suit, you will have good enough stamina protection to be okay. If you have 35% SSI, you can have stam as low as 150 and swing at max speed with a double axe. So it might depend on your set up if you can justify removing HSL, but I would strongly consider. Perhaps make a weapon and test it out to see if it works for you.

Archangel0

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you're in the middle of a spawn, you probably will want Hit AoE on your weapon. If you're fighting a boss, you will probably want Hit Spell. For Cold and Fire elementals in particular, I would make one axe of each.

Personally, I don't feel Hit Stam Leach is worth all that much. If you have Chiv, you can cast Divine Fury for a Stam boost. If you have a Plate / Ring suit, you will have good enough stamina protection to be okay. If you have 35% SSI, you can have stam as low as 150 and swing at max speed with a double axe. So it might depend on your set up if you can justify removing HSL, but I would strongly consider. Perhaps make a weapon and test it out to see if it works for you.
Thanks.
Yup, I got 5 Plate suit with 199 stam, but only 25%SSI so I really don't want to risk going below 180 that's why I like Stam Leach (could swap despicableQ for ranger's cloak to get 30ssi)

ok, let me see if I understand. With AoE , even if I just strike the target, the mob can get hit with it, whereas with hit lightning I only get to zap them all if I whirlwind

However, back on to leeches, one I am mulling of getting rid of is HLL, but, since I've always used it, I've no idea if vapmire leeches enough by itself,
What do you think. Is VE enough to keep me alive?
(ok I know I'll still die, no problem with it, but I don't really die much, or at all unless its 3 paragons and the mob) So, is HLL really keeping me alive, or would it help more to add more damage to the weapon?

I'm running
Swords 120
Bushido 120
Tactics 120
Chiv 80
Necro 99
Parry 111 (20 from Jewls)
Resist 120 (30 from Jewls)

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Thanks.
Yup, I got 5 Plate suit with 199 stam, but only 25%SSI so I really don't want to risk going below 180 that's why I like Stam Leach (could swap despicableQ for ranger's cloak to get 30ssi)

ok, let me see if I understand. With AoE , even if I just strike the target, the mob can get hit with it, whereas with hit lightning I only get to zap them all if I whirlwind

However, back on to leeches, one I am mulling of getting rid of is HLL, but, since I've always used it, I've no idea if vapmire leeches enough by itself,
What do you think. Is VE enough to keep me alive?
(ok I know I'll still die, no problem with it, but I don't really die much, or at all unless its 3 paragons and the mob) So, is HLL really keeping me alive, or would it help more to add more damage to the weapon?

I'm running
Swords 120
Bushido 120
Tactics 120
Chiv 80
Necro 99
Parry 111 (20 from Jewls)
Resist 120 (30 from Jewls)
You're running almost exactly build as I am. I get to 115 with Parry - that is only difference.

My answer is going to be that you should have both types of weapons. I have some weapons with HLL. Some of the caster spawns - like level 2/3/4 Arachnid, Level 3 Reptiles - I have HLL and Hit Area because it helps deal with those spawns much more easily. I have some weapons that replace HLL with Hit Lower Attack. Personally, I prefer HLL over HSL - but again, I would have a wide range of weapons with different mods here so you can be as flexible as you need to be. I know that might be easier said than done in the beginning when you might have limited resources, gold and time to craft all these weapons. I would imagine you will be okay with just VE, but it can't hurt to have atleast one wep that replaces a mod with HLL. You will know better once you test.

Good luck!

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
You are correct on hit area. It makes a huge difference for spawns. Hit spell is 1 target.

Hit area also has a wider radius so you end up dealing out and stealing back much more when you are surrounded.

I think hit area is a must for spawns. You can drop a few different mods for hit area and it wound increase spawning efficiency a lot.

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
Are you primarily spawning ?

I found I almost never needed chiv so I swapped for anat. The damage gain is very nice.

there are 2 damage calculations. Anat increases base damage.

EEO and cons. Weapon are a multiplier after base damage. Slayers typically can help you reach max multiplier and make chiv redundant.

I have a samp that is solely for spawns and I dropped chiv and don’t miss it at all.

Only reason for chiv is bosses with no slayer

Archangel0

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Makes sense, specially with cameo and slayer 100%elem weapon , CW cant add more.
I'll try the spider without chiv and having Anat instead.
But do you thing 80 anat makes a difference or or should I increase it to Anat 100, lowering parry to 90?

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
The uoguide site breaks down the calculation of damage really well.

you can easily put it into a spreadsheet and play with your build and gear to see the exact effect.

I think another 20 points of anat will give you a 10% boost to base damage. which is then multiplied by slayer 300%

I kept my parry at 100, but I’ve heard of people going as low as 60.

not dying is important to me because I’ll run a few spawns at a time. Deaths are the biggest slow down.

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
sampires are easy to work skills just by doing spawns. try it out different ways and see what's best for ya.

hit area > hit spell

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I heard somewhere that hit spell isn't affected by the slayer property but hit area is. Anyone know if that is true or not?

WonDumBaldGuy

Adventurer
I can confirm that this is true. You can see the damage in my video from the area is only half of my weapon damage, which is maxed at 300/300. I have used hit spell many times and do not see a similar bump. Too bad it doesnt proc on single targets or I would use hit area on Rikki!

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I can confirm that this is true. You can see the damage in my video from the area is only half of my weapon damage, which is maxed at 300/300. I have used hit spell many times and do not see a similar bump. Too bad it doesnt proc on single targets or I would use hit area on Rikki!
Thanks for confirming the info.

WonDumBaldGuy

Adventurer
Reading the thread above, I do not run HLL at any spawn on my war hammers. Don't even notice it's not there. That was what prompted me to actually upgrade to the war hammer. When you are doing well over 500 damage to a mob around me, does all that extra life leech help? Or could I put in another mod, like SSI? It works well for me, and I never die because I couldn't leech enough. BUT, I also run 120 parry. Lower parry will have an effect on total damage taken and leech requirements. And it (IMO) lowers your overall damage output by not using counterattack. If 100 anat is almost the same damage as 120 parry/bushido counterattack output, then raising your parry to 120 and leaning on counterattack with even a little anatomy will net you greater damage output, and fill in leech gaps because of the constant influx of damage that is off speed.
You can only leech every 1.25 seconds max. Counterattack lets you exceed that. Anatomy won't.

Aestra

Adventurer
You are correct on hit area. It makes a huge difference for spawns. Hit spell is 1 target.

Hit area also has a wider radius so you end up dealing out and stealing back much more when you are surrounded.

I think hit area is a must for spawns. You can drop a few different mods for hit area and it wound increase spawning efficiency a lot.
I don’t think vampire form leeches from the hit area damage

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
I don’t think vampire form leeches from the hit area damage
I was under the impression it does, I'll need to pay really close attention next time I do a spawn. Perhaps the hit weapon leech does activate sometimes on area damage?

I always felt like I replenished health when an AOE when off.