• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Poisoning

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I wanted to see if anyone had any suggested PVM builds that use poisoning. Could be a caster, could be a warrior. I have 100 Poisoning on a stone for several accounts and wanted to see if I could make use of one. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Whether its PVM or PVP - I am just curious about any interesting builds that use this skill. I had a poison necro mage a long time ago for PVP, but I was a young pup then and didn't have a PVP guild to run with so I generally just got my butt kicked all the time. The only other reason I have used it for lately has been for training healing and chiv on Pets.

I posted a similar thread on the Official UO forums and got a response or two, here: Poisoning

Any other input or ideas would be welcome. Just exploring some new templates and wanted some feedback.

Last edited:

MeTheGreat

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i put poisoning on a garg thrower instead of bushido to help with the mana reduction.
i haven't played the character in a while, i think it went something like:
120 throwing
120 tact
120 anat
90 heal
100 chiv
100 poison
100 resist

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I like to use it for resource gathering. Poison hiryus. Hide while you watch 'em die. Collect leather. Repeat.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
As far as PvP goes, I run poisoning on pretty much all of my thieves. It's an essential skill for killing people in town. It forces marks to go on the defense almost immediately, giving you time to make your escape. Most importantly it provides poison resistance without needing to carry pots. I stone it off once in a while and I always miss it when I do. My most recommended template for new thieves is:

120 stealing
100 snooping
100 hiding
80 stealth
110 ninjitsu
90 poisoning
120 wrestling

Use shurikens to apply poison without a weapon. You can always stone off wrestling for a combat skill which is mostly what I do but it can lead to the always embarrassing trying to steal with a weapon in hand which is why I recommend the above template to newer thieves.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The only good uses I've found for poisoning is a support char (like a mage that tosses poison fields for a group) or a splinter/poison/death strike dexer for pvp. It gets cured fast in pvp and pvm. It also does little damage, which is why I never put it on pvm chars.

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The only reason I can think of putting pois on a pvm toon is to reduce your chances of getting poisoned by a mob. That can be negated by going in vamp form, orange petals, chiv cures, pots, etc.

I don't know anyone that runs pois on a pvm toon. Can't even really think of a way to make it work and not spend those points somewhere else that wouldn't make the pvm toon more viable.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
The only reason I can think of putting pois on a pvm toon is to reduce your chances of getting poisoned by a mob. That can be negated by going in vamp form, orange petals, chiv cures, pots, etc.

I don't know anyone that runs pois on a pvm toon. Can't even really think of a way to make it work and not spend those points somewhere else that wouldn't make the pvm toon more viable.
Do you have a PVP template to share?

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Do you have a PVP template to share?
swords/tact/poison/ninja/bush/parry/resist/chiv

I run something like this. Atm poison + deathstrike is popular lots of melee pvp use it.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
swords/tact/poison/ninja/bush/parry/resist/chiv

I run something like this. Atm poison + deathstrike is popular lots of melee pvp use it.

Have you used Fencing at all to make use of Infectious Strike?

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have a poison fencer, but with EP and pots, it's not really all that effective. It's fun to make peeps use up a crap ton of pots tho.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I have a poison fencer, but with EP and pots, it's not really all that effective. It's fun to make peeps use up a crap ton of pots tho.
That's my main objective too, keep dping till they run atta pots. I can rarely catch them after though, I ping 33 and usually they can outrun me.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I am curious what you guys would think about the following Necro Nox Mage:
120 Magery
120 Eval Intel
100 Necromancy
120 Spirit Speak
100 Poisoning
120 Resist Spells
040 Meditation

I might use Katakotl Ring for +20 Magery, +10 Med, +10 Resist, plus some type of Scrapper with skills. Any extra points I can come up with I would throw into Meditation.

Could this be viable at all for PVP? I know you have to be very close to get off Lethal/Deadly poisons.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I am curious what you guys would think about the following Necro Nox Mage:
120 Magery
120 Eval Intel
100 Necromancy
120 Spirit Speak
100 Poisoning
120 Resist Spells
040 Meditation

I might use Katakotl Ring for +20 Magery, +10 Med, +10 Resist, plus some type of Scrapper with skills. Any extra points I can come up with I would throw into Meditation.

Could this be viable at all for PVP? I know you have to be very close to get off Lethal/Deadly poisons.
Too squishy, needs parry or weapon skill. Poison is much more consistent coming off a weap too. Using mage spell for poison drove me nuts, it never seemed to land lethal even if I was next to someone.

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Pot chuggin killed the nox mage temps a long time ago. Only reason to have it on a mage is for pois fields when pushing a choke point.

Kelly Daze

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As far as PvP goes, I run poisoning on pretty much all of my thieves. It's an essential skill for killing people in town. It forces marks to go on the defense almost immediately, giving you time to make your escape. Most importantly it provides poison resistance without needing to carry pots. I stone it off once in a while and I always miss it when I do. My most recommended template for new thieves is:

120 stealing
100 snooping
100 hiding
80 stealth
110 ninjitsu
90 poisoning
120 wrestling

Use shurikens to apply poison without a weapon. You can always stone off wrestling for a combat skill which is mostly what I do but it can lead to the always embarrassing trying to steal with a weapon in hand which is why I recommend the above template to newer thieves.
I used to run this something close to this (no wrestling) Poisoning is an useless skill pvp. With orange petal and greater cure pots. Poisoning is great for necro mage PVM and for spawning. But other then that it is useless. Which makes me sad. Maybe when the shard comes online that template will be amazing again.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I used to run this something close to this (no wrestling) Poisoning is an useless skill pvp. With orange petal and greater cure pots. Poisoning is great for necro mage PVM and for spawning. But other then that it is useless. Which makes me sad. Maybe when the shard comes online that template will be amazing again.
Like pretty much anything in UO it's all about what or who you are hunting. I totally agree that poisoning is essentially useless for hunting players who are set up for PvP. When you play on Siege for a while you become familiar with most of the players and you can generally gauge the effectiveness of certain tactics based off of who they are. While useless on some players and templates, I find it makes an excellent addition to my template. A poisoned shuriken to the face is also an excellent way to say hello to someone you have never met before or express your frustrations when you snoop an empty pack. I occasionally stone it off to add tactics and I almost always regret it. For whatever reason when I don't have it on my template is when I most often run into situations where it would be useful.

PoiZ-Ivy

Adventurer
what poison fencing/swords, mage temp
would you suggest ?
and what would be the difference between 80 and 100 poison on the template?

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Do you perhaps have a Necro Nox Mage template to suggest? :)

PoiZ-Ivy

Adventurer
even using the different types of poison to a blade to get the different damage types off a kyrss or cleaver ? would it be useless to all greater cure potions, petals could not cure it,
and if you have played it what is the diff from 80 to 100 poison on a mage fencer/swords/poison do you actually need the extra 20 in skill and if so what bonus does it give?

the temp you suggested earlier could work so long as you dont get hit by a dexer, you could argue a -mage sc wep but then if you get disarmed, no defence, alot of mages are or nearly all mages are running parry, to go get the necro mage poison parry would take some doing about 820 skill points, some very specific items and after all that would the poison be worth it on a caster with no wep to dp, I dont know the answer to that one. You could take a character over to test and give it a try out there, I dont think I would just put poison on a character just to cast poison field in a pvp situation, normal poison fields would work just fine, there are different templates for different roles inside the game just depends on what you are going to do and how you fit in with your teams plans.

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
what poison fencing/swords, mage temp
would you suggest ?
and what would be the difference between 80 and 100 poison on the template?
If you are trying to get lethal poison on a player, the difference between the 80/100 will be your chance of inflicting it with the +1 level.

so, 80% with 80, and 100% with 100.

Kelly Daze

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pretty much that.

90 poison
120 mage
120 eval
105 necro
120 Ss
120 resist
Rest in med

You can go 100 poison but don’t really need it. Great template for spawning. Not so much pvp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam Adams

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I use poison on my animal trainer to work healing on cu's. Its a tamer/disco/poison char. I like this template so much i made 3.

giperborey

Visitor
90 poison
120 mage
You don't need 90 Poison with 120 Magery. If (Magery + Poison) / 2 >= 100 you always apply Deadly Poison.

There no difference between (Magery 120 + Poisoning 80), (Magery 120 + Poisoning 100) and (Magery 100 + Poisoning 100) in all of the cases you'll apply Deadly Poison.

To apply Lethal Poison with 100% chance I use Evil Omen + Poison Field