• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Heckles' Hero quest

Maldar

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have been looking for old content that, for whatever reason, I never did in the past, so I found Heckles' Hero quest and started working on killing off all the critters required. Therein lies the problem. I figured out that the kills don't have to be in Blackthorn's Dungeon, which is cool since a kindergarten class could be held in there right now without fear. I did just fine until I started on the 25 Brigands and 50 Vermin. None of the Brigands or rats/ratmen I have killed have counted. I attacked Brigands in the camps, in Sanctuary and the Brigand Fort (or whatever it is called)...........nothing. I attacked rats on the docks and in the sewers and then I attacked ratmen in Sanctuary and Ilshenar...........nothing. Does anyone remember doing this quest and what Brigands and Vermin we have to kill? I can't find mention of this quest on UOGuide or Uo.com.

**EDIT: I solved half of my problem. The Brigands have to be Human, in order to count, not Elven. But those Vermin, though....

**Edited yet again......sheesh: It turned out the only Vermin that counts are Giant Rats and there are plenty of them at the Vermin Horde Champ spawn. I'm going to leave this up for anyone else wanting to do an old, forgotten quest. The rewards were twofold........a title certificate for "The Historian", 25 Blackthorn Artifact points and your name etched into the bar top, if they don't catch you doing it with a pocket knife.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Never heard of this quest. Where do you go to start it?

Maldar

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Never heard of this quest. Where do you go to start it?
Go to the bar inside Blackthorn's Castle and talk to Heckles. He is behind the bar. You have to do the first quest he gives you before he will offer you the Hero quest. The first quest is finding the 8 books he lost in the castle.

Last edited:

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have done it. At least a lot of minor monsters to kill.
Thanks for the info that this quest exist.

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
This is actually one of the town crier quests...
when it was on TC, someone said you had to have detect hidden to find the books.
but i tried it out just before they removed the spawn in blackthorns.
PAS did it as an event the week before the publish that removed the spawn.
much easier with all the spawn in one location...

thanks for posting, showing how to complete it now.

Kuru

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So is there a prerequisite for this quest? Or is it currently shut off?

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So is there a prerequisite for this quest? Or is it currently shut off?
Unless i misread the posts above (and you did too?) It is active.

One of the posts above tells the pre quest (which is on the same npc) making it a chain quest.

Kuru

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Unless i misread the posts above (and you did too?) It is active.

One of the posts above tells the pre quest (which is on the same npc) making it a chain quest.
When I double click old boy, he tells me “sorry I have nothing for you at this time.” This tells me:
1. There is a prerequisite for the quest.
2. It’s currently off.
If the quest is active, then my question was a question. A string quest or not, if it’s given by the same NPC, then that information is less than helpful given the message I get when I click him.
Thus my question is still unanswered.

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When I double click old boy, he tells me “sorry I have nothing for you at this time.” This tells me:
2. It’s currently off.
If the quest is active, then my question was a question. A string quest or not, if it’s given by the same NPC, then that information is less than helpful given the message I get when I click him.
See if you may have too many quests in your log?

Is it an EJ character?

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
2. It’s currently off.
1594664920417.png

go to the town cryer in Luna & get this quest... then go to blackthorns (don't use a corrupt portal, you must run across the bridge)
you will get a pop up that tells you to speak with Heckles (bar area)...
accept his quest and he gives you a book.
then you kill the required creatures

Kuru

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
View attachment 110076

go to the town cryer in Luna & get this quest... then go to blackthorns (don't use a corrupt portal, you must run across the bridge)
Cheers, that worked like a charm.

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
View attachment 110076

Just to expand, you don't have to go to Luna. I frequently go to the one in Brit Commons.

Maldar

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What does the quest do? Give you something like atitle?
Thanks..
The rewards were twofold........a title certificate for "The Historian", 25 Blackthorn Artifact points and your name etched into the bar top, if they don't catch you doing it with a pocket knife.

Maldar

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
View attachment 110076

Thanks, I had forgotten the way it all began. I had that lost book quest on my toon for the last several years. Took me forever to find the last 2 books I needed. lol

Sweetpeez

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Meez sent wun ub meez hummie 'helperz' to dooz dis quest and dey neber kuld git pass the finding tingz. (Eben tried da gm detect hummie.) How yooz git pass dat?

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Meez sent wun ub meez hummie 'helperz' to dooz dis quest and dey neber kuld git pass the finding tingz. (Eben tried da gm detect hummie.) How yooz git pass dat?
it starts with taking a bath . . .

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
**EDIT: I solved half of my problem. The Brigands have to be Human, in order to count, not Elven. But those Vermin, though....
so where does one find Human brigands these days. all i found were elf . . .

**disregard, the only place i could find was in Bandit town, Ilshenar.

Last edited:

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
1594994636461.png

@Sweetpeez i borrowed this from the UO forums
use detect hidden in those areas.

the person in this pic, is standing on the tile.
You DO NOT need Detect Hidden skill.
And the Beehive is located near the northern shore.

Last edited:

Sweetpeez

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
YAY finaly gotz to clear dat quest fum da log. Meez tinkz dem hummiez wuz jus beezin lazy. Girkle fur da pikturdz!