• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Are there more players since Endless Journey started?

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Pretty much as title says.

I haven't been around for a couple of years and was wondering if the game got more players after Endless Journey was implemented?

Hopefully there have been more and better changes over these past years?

Edit: I used to play in Europa.

Cheers!

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Europa had a lot of returners after EJ started, a few stuck around but mostly they only came back for a few months, playing for free had a lot of restrictions, some could live with them and then they subbed anyway, others found it too restricting and didn't want to sub since they would probably leave again. We didn't get as many new players as I thought we would, just mainly returners.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Siege Perilous definitely had an increase in players, both returning and new.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The point should of been to try to draw players off of Freeshards.

With the limitations they put on the accounts, specifically the banks, it was a complete waste of time. No sane person is going to play this game with a 25 item limit and the inability to stack even basic resources in their bank.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
The worst part at the start other than the complete lack of bank space, was that returners with full beetles couldn't get off of them as they wouldn't be able to get back on and they couldn't stable the beetle, so unless they subbed for a house or had a friend to store their stuff, they lost it. At first there wasn't even any warning of it happening either.

PageBoy

Journeyman
More players since Covid. That's for sure.
Many of “covid players” have already quit, at least on Atl. Killed tons of blues past 3 weeks but it’s already 4-5 days that I don’t see any new name in Fel dungs

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ya it’s slowed down on Pac as well already

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The worst part at the start other than the complete lack of bank space, was that returners with full beetles couldn't get off of them as they wouldn't be able to get back on and they couldn't stable the beetle, so unless they subbed for a house or had a friend to store their stuff, they lost it. At first there wasn't even any warning of it happening either.
Yup... and the concept of doing this to free up space on the server was idiotic because you can just open up 100 ej accounts and shove things in their bags. Completely pointless.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
EJ brought me back, isn't that enough?

I played EJ for over a year before I ever subbed an account. My main account was EJ until just recently. If you want to collect stuff with an EJ account, you're gonna have a bad time. If you just want to play and have a good time, it can be done on an EJ account. Also, Siege has a higher bank item limit so if you really want to play an EJ account, I recommend skipping the boring Trammy shards altogether.

Groo

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
EJ brought me back too (after about 15 years)
I didn't even know UO still existed.
After about 2 months i subbed again and last week i even subbed my second account (so i could build a second keep:rolleyes:)

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Tons of people came back to Atlantic for EJ, but it seems like 75% left within a couple months. On the other hand, I also know a lot of people who unsubscribed all of their accounts except their main one to do EJ instead, after realizing there's basically no difference as long as you don't care about owning a house and collecting stuff.

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
there was an initial increase overall,. but it quickly stopped , hell even yesterday friday night was 100% dead on all shards except atlantic of course.

I wish they would merge some east shards together down to 1-2 , then 1 central , and one west shard. Take europa and drachs exemple, its 2 shard for the whole europa continent. Maybe they could enlarge trammel and fellucca make them bigger, give a compassion house transfer to all player, so we could have a one-time transfer our house to the new merged shard. Actually the term shard , should be ingame at the moongate just for housing, you select chesapeak exemple and you can go to a house instance with all chesapeak houses.
I really wish the big announcemnt was something to fix this '' too many shards'' issue

Last edited:

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This isnt only an issue to me that's the thing @Pawain, alot of pvpers are quiting and quiting , having just one server option for Pvp is terrible, all other shards are considered ''dead'' from all pvper point of view. There is just no middle at all , I can see your point of view of wanting the option between a calm shard and a populated shard, but going to Luna on friday night at 11 pm and seeing 0 players , in my book it's not calm , its dead.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
This isnt only an issue to me that's the thing @Pawain, alot of pvpers are quiting and quiting , having just one server option for Pvp is terrible, all other shards are considered ''dead'' from all pvper point of view. There is just no middle at all , I can see your point of view of wanting the option between a calm shard and a populated shard, but going to Luna on friday night at 11 pm and seeing 0 players , in my book it's not calm , its dead.
They should instance cross shard pvp. You can still go PK in fel if you'd like, or go to a spot and get instanced into a fel ruleset pvp area. Introducing the LFG option on pvp and pvm in WoW was one of the best things they did for casual players.

Edit: LFG = Looking for group system in WoW for those that don't play.

DanteSignas

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I closed my accounts 8 months ago because I became bored after being back again for 2 years. I would like to see something new and exciting with this announcement soon but I don't have much confidence. One can only do champ spawns and roof so many times before the luster runs out. They need more consistent and meaty content updates. That is really my only issue with the game. Not much new to do frequently enough. Oh, and EJ is too restrictive IMO. :)

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just love paying 12.99 a month for zero new content and a publish once every 4-5 months. Half of these publishes are just a complete waste of time and bring content that people can find repetitive in just a couple runs. I'm sorry Mesanna only cares of her EM program that is honestly a money grab, most people don't follow the story line. I have little faith in the UO devs to produce anything worth while, in the 10 years Mesanna has been the producer we have seen 1 expansion and 1 booster. In the previous decade we saw 7 expansions, so forgive me when I don't have faith in her "big announcement".

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Most of those PvPrs that you think have quit are actually over on the smaller dead shards, farming stuff to bring back to Atlantic. Even on a small dead shard you can't even go to a spawn without a ghost cam catching you and then 10 morons come out from nowhere. But this is what the Devs designed it all for right ? You have to keep the hardcore PvP players happy don't you ? PvP has never ever been about the group in and of itself wanting to PvP each other, it's always been about a PvP'r having access to a non PvPr so they can dominate all over them and reap the rewards. Yeah I've sort of sidestepped from the original point of this thread, but I'm seriously sick to death of seeing the words " alot of pvpers are quitting". I"ll elaborate more if someone else decides they have to chime in with their Elite PvP wisdom.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I just love paying 12.99 a month for zero new content and a publish once every 4-5 months. Half of these publishes are just a complete waste of time and bring content that people can find repetitive in just a couple runs. I'm sorry Mesanna only cares of her EM program that is honestly a money grab, most people don't follow the story line. I have little faith in the UO devs to produce anything worth while, in the 10 years Mesanna has been the producer we have seen 1 expansion and 1 booster. In the previous decade we saw 7 expansions, so forgive me when I don't have faith in her "big announcement".
When is this announcement due?

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
It was due in March but since the team are all now at home it's been delayed until after the next Publish, which is in July.

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
there was an initial increase overall,. but it quickly stopped , hell even yesterday friday night was 100% dead on all shards except atlantic of course.

I wish they would merge some east shards together down to 1-2 , then 1 central , and one west shard. Take europa and drachs exemple, its 2 shard for the whole europa continent. Maybe they could enlarge trammel and fellucca make them bigger, give a compassion house transfer to all player, so we could have a one-time transfer our house to the new merged shard. Actually the term shard , should be ingame at the moongate just for housing, you select chesapeak exemple and you can go to a house instance with all chesapeak houses.
I really wish the big announcemnt was something to fix this '' too many shards'' issue
Sounds like it is only an issue to you. If players want to play on a crowded server they can go to Atlantic.
If they like where they are they can stay.
I think there could be some middle ground there to exploit for the gain of all. The whole idea behind Ultima's shards was that Mondain split the gem of immortality into 32 pieces (however many.) If we could login to Europa and Drachs (just using those two as an example,) when you go to any moongate on Europa shard, it could give you the option of Tram, Fel, Malas, Tokuno Islands, Ter Mur & Eodan..... Drachenfels Tram, Drachenfels Fel, Frachenfels Malas, Drachenfels Tokuno Islands, Drachenfels Ter Mur. Eodan could be.... Eodan. No housing, no problem for Eodan, both Europa and Drachenfels could be on the same Eodan facet.

So if the big announcement was something like... the new Supreme Council of Wizards attempted some sort of experiments in astrophysics, and ended up partially merging our universes with that of another.... and each shard now had a companion shard, I think that would be pretty sweet. As long as no one lost their houses or shard history..... would definitely be weird with their being 2 trammels, 2 feluccas, and so forth.... but I think we could handle it. It would put more players playing together. Not sure they would want that for financial reasons (xferr token sales,) but I think they should focus on player retention as a means of sales more than anything.

Effort

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Yes their current 'attach your ea account, to your mythic, then sacrifice livestock' model isn't ideal for ease of getting your account back. There isn't really a valid debate around if it brought players back, or new ones in, though I think people quickly realize that they should subscribe for a better experience. Yes people will use trial accounts to script and bot, etc, but this has happened since they initially made 14 day free trial accounts forever ago. While this should be something to be cracked down on, this also helps ease entrance for new players to test the waters, a solid trade off.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I would like to see something new and exciting with this announcement soon but I don't have much confidence. One can only do champ spawns and roof so many times before the luster runs out. They need more consistent and meaty content updates. That is really my only issue with the game. Not much new to do frequently enough.
This. I agree 100% that there should be more frequent content updates to retain the player base (even if this means turning on old content again for a limited time). I think I am like many other players that started playing back in 97 and have frequently come and gone over the years. One of the biggest reasons I stop playing is because doing the same thing over and over becomes boring. I think the invasion has been live again for about 2 weeks now and I'm already over it (mainly because everyone runs in to target mages and then leave).

I liked how they shared the road map for the year last year of what they were planning (by quarter) so when I started to lose interest in the treasure hunting changes the next publish was doing something else to try out (even if for only a month or 2) to break up the monotony. This year I was disappointed that they didn't do that again and the only main thing they did was changed IDOCs (which a change was needed but as a result there was absolutely zero content updates).

I like how they turned on ToT for a month or so (although I disliked that you couldn't get the major arty dyes anymore) and then switched to the invasion to switch it up. At this point I'd take them just turning on old content for a month or so (limited time only content) just to re-do some of the previous things that were fun. What I'd really like for them to do is turn on some content of the events I missed like bane dragons or dread horses or Kotl city Halloween event (blue armor drops that i'm still missing a suit for). It's likely just wishful thinking though :(

Elaysia

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
EJ brought me back to Ultima and I stuck with it for 6 months just relearning stuff. It became so unbearable though that I stopped logging in until Halloween and I subbed for the big holiday events. I'm still subbing because of the ToT and invasion events. The newsletter said new stuff coming for Halloween so as long we have more events lined up like mentioned above --bane dragons, dread horses, and Kotl these would definitely keep me subbing until the new stuff comes in. :party:

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Am for the Halloween events need more sets for my collection. Only have 4 doom and 3 kotl ones. The others I have all of. Bane and dread does not matter to me. I have one of each that never leave the stables or luna. They won't bring them back becasue the people spent top gold on them and they will get made.

The people geting the spell books are the same ones that got them last time. Every time I find a mage there already almost dead and am not shelling out the gold for a book. Would rather keep it for what I collect.