• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Question about whetstone utility

Fortis

Sage
Stratics Veteran
For exemple: for a sampire with already a set of cameos and max di on the suite why i would use whetstone on weapon double axe ? if you craft normal double axe with a low level crafter and you reforget it to 100% elemental damage with a runic hammer and they you cani imbue 5 mods on it to maximum their maximum value. I dont get it why people use and want whetstone.

thank you for answering me

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For exemple: for a sampire with already a set of cameos and max di on the suite why i would use whetstone on weapon double axe ? if you craft normal double axe with a low level crafter and you reforget it to 100% elemental damage with a runic hammer and they you cani imbue 5 mods on it to maximum their maximum value. I dont get it why people use and want whetstone.

Because an "exceptional" weapon has 500 more imbuing points available to use when putting your mods on it.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
First a Non exceptional weapon has less imbuing points.

Next the 35 or whatever DI takes up imbuing points and a spot. You can not get 5 things and DI.

If the weapon has no DI, you can get 5 other things if you choose things that do not exceed the total.

Imbuing Calculator

Fortis

Sage
Stratics Veteran
like i said you can imbue all 5 mods to max intensity whitout being exeptionnal you ahve enought room...the difference for points is like 50 between normal and exceptional

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
like i said you can imbue all 5 mods to max intensity whitout being exeptionnal you ahve enought room...the difference for points is like 50 between normal and exceptional
DI counts as a Mod. You can not imbue 5 more things. That 50 points matters. You rarely can imbue all 5 things to max on any item.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
normal non exceptional weapons whitout whetstone
Try that with a Bow.

And thats your choices, others may want higher cost items imbued on.

So, your example works either way. You can not turn that into a blanket statement.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Because of the increased imbuing weight for 2 handed weapons (550 normal, 600 exceptional) it is possible to imbue certain groups of 5 properties to max on a normal weapon.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Need an exceptional weapon and Whetstone to make this:

1587324870644.png

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
yes your 450 total weight is wrong it s 550
Different things have different weights. I just used 500 as an example.

But yes, Building a weapon like yours can be done with a non exceptional weapon. I saw some on Atlantic vendors the other day. I did not buy them because I need 35% DI.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Because of the increased imbuing weight for 2 handed weapons (550 normal, 600 exceptional) it is possible to imbue certain groups of 5 properties to max on a normal weapon.
Yes, that is how this PSA should have begun.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
well for double axe is completly useless to use whetstone ty...many people dont know this
It's certainly not completely useless, It all depends on the combination of imbues, some fit maxed out, some do not.

Try Imbuing these stats on a non exceptional double axe:

Hit Mana Leech
Hit Stamina Leech
Hit Lower Defense
Hit Lower Attack
Undead Slayer (or the like)

It won't fit, you will need to sacrifice points. (this is of course just one example)

Where a whetstone is absolutely vital in my opinion is on one handed weapons, points are incredibly tight and those extra points are very much needed to optimise!

Reactions: Lug

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Don't put Hit Magic Arrow/Harm/Fireball/Lightning/Velocity on Slayer weps. When the hit effect procs, the Slayer doesn't. Old ass bug that is still around.

100% DI on suit+Cameo=200% Damage. Damage is capped at 300%. You'd need either Honor Perfection (+100%), EoO (+82% at 120 Chiv), or an identical Super Slayer (+100%) on the wep to reach 300% Damage. 100% DI on suit + Undead Slayer Cameo + Undead Slayer Double Axe = 300% Damage.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Don't put Hit Magic Arrow/Harm/Fireball/Lightning/Velocity on Slayer weps. When the hit effect procs, the Slayer doesn't. Old ass bug that is still around.

100% DI on suit+Cameo=200% Damage. Damage is capped at 300%. You'd need either Honor Perfection (+100%), EoO (+82% at 120 Chiv), or an identical Super Slayer (+100%) on the wep to reach 300% Damage. 100% DI on suit + Undead Slayer Cameo + Undead Slayer Double Axe = 300% Damage.
I believe they fixed that old bug for most hit effects. The only one that I know of that still cancels the slayer effect is Velocity.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Either way I need the DI so I would use HLD instead. That sucks if its not just velocity. None of my weapons have a hit spell and slayer so I cant test that if I could. :)

I make bows mostly so I cant use non exceptional.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

It's really only useful for one-handed weapons. 2-h weapons have 550/600 but 550 weight is enough to get what anyone would want in most cases.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I believe they fixed that old bug for most hit effects. The only one that I know of that still cancels the slayer effect is Velocity.
yea, maybe those Eodon Slayer weapons from shadowguard would be useful if they ever fix that.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You may see players using the exceptional whetstoned double axes because they made them before the change to imbue weights. At one time it was the only way to get such weapons.

May also see them because “Exceptional” tags look KewL :cool: & some of us have gold to burn:flame:

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Thanks @Fortis ! Definitely a good call out for some newer or returning players.

I use a whetstone because I have a 120 blacksmith and for me (in most cases) it's easier just to create whatever I need rather than rely on vendor search (which works maybe 50% of the time on ATL) and someone else creating non exceptional 100% element axes.

I agree with you @Pawain that bows must be exceptional; even then you can't always git 5 full properties. It'd be great if they also bumped bows (ie ranged two handed weapons) up to 600 points like they did for things like a double axe.

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lets be clear here , the whetstone do have some utility , maybe not so much for most 2-handed weapon , but for all 1hand weapon or bows whetstones are mostly needed. I think what the OP was trying to tell us is , in 90% of the time , non-exceptional 2handed weapons will have plenty of place (550) to have most 5 mods ( mostly sampire weapons with leechs that are cheap etc ) but I f I was to build lets say a gnarled staff exemple for a mage, the whetstone would probably be needed to put like SC / mage weapon / 1Fc / HCI / SSI etc /

or if I was to reforge an overcapped mod, then imbue the rest, like -15 mage weapon that take 150 weight alone

So yea unless you want to imbue an overcapped mod reforged 2hand weapon for a sampire , most of the time id say you can get out with a non-exceptional and no whetstone needed.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@chester rockwell how hard it is to get 100% elemental plus 70 hit area
From my experience on trying to get exact multiple mods on an item, I would say you have a better chance of winning the lottery.
I certainly don't think it is impossible but just trying to get the desired hit area damage type and percentage can be a chore, combine that with hoping the weapon gets converted to the desired elemental damage and percentage... If ya got the gold and hammers, good luck!

But yes, as @chester rockwell says, whetstones are invaluable when you want to overcap stats. A perfect example of this would be with Blackthorn Captains/Shrines where you absolutely want to have 70% hit spell effect as that is what procs most damage. You would not be able to max out imbues on a non-exceptional weapon in this case.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
From my experience on trying to get exact multiple mods on an item, I would say you have a better chance of winning the lottery.
Kinda what happens when they get the Bokuto 100% ele damage with 70 Hit spell that PvP wants.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
OT
What is the best one handed swords weapon for PVM

120 Swords
120 Anatomy
120 Tactics
120 Parry
120 Healing
80 Chivalry
40 Focus

Thank you

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Since you don't have Bushido you can use a Shield and 1 handed weapon. Many use a sword with AI and one with Double Strike for single target. Then a WW weapon for crowd control.

Katana does both AI and DS.

Double Strike (S)2 Handed Axe, Crescent Blade, Double Axe, Katana, Pick Axe, Scimitar, Dual Short Axes Wakizashi

Armor Ignore
(S)Hatchet, Long Sword, Bladed Staff, Stone War Sword, Broadsword, Katana,

Whirlwind Attack
(S)Halberd, Large Battle Axe, Radiant Scimitar, Paladin Sword, Gargish Talwar Bladed Whip
Double Axe

I prefer no shield and Busido on the template. 1 hand weapons are fast but do less damage. (not enough LL for me)

The Whip has very cool animations. I play around with it. Looks cool when fighting tigers and lions, just need a chair. I wish they made a 2 handed whip!

My T hunter uses the skull Longsword to stay in the mood of the event.

This is why the 2 handed swordsmen use: Double Axe, Bladed Staff
Double Axe does DS and WW.

Last edited:

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@chester rockwell how hard it is to get 100% elemental plus 70 hit area
Well, if you're spawning, you really dont need the 100% ele and 70 hit area for levels 1/2. I have one generic butt axe that is 44 stam, 44 mana, 70 hit area, 20 swing speed. I use that for levels 1/2 on every spawn. Then for levels 3/4, I have 100% ele dmg wpns with 50 hit aoe.

Don't burn up 'spensive wpns on levels one and two. Just get a cheap butt wpn with whirlwind, 70 hit aoe, and whatever the leeches are that don't require special ingredients. Too easy.

Edit: I didn't think you could reforge for that combo, but I'm not a crafter. I'm pretty ignorant about the inner workings of that stuff.

Last edited:

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
OT
What is the best one handed swords weapon for PVM

120 Swords
120 Anatomy
120 Tactics
120 Parry
120 Healing
80 Chivalry
40 Focus

Thank you
Are you married to that template? Cuz there are some easy changes to make you better.......or.....make a sampire.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not really I can stone off what skills and change it up