• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Blacksmithing] Blacksmith BOD Rewards - The Valorite Smelter's Talisman

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I've considered these worthless, mostly due to the 24 hour timer. I can't put them on my vendor.

However, I considered a new way to calculate their worth, by considering the average value of the ingots lost through smelting if I do *not* use a talisman.

As a comparison, let's use the Powder of Fortification. They generally sell for 70,000 gold, more or less, on Lake Superior. Since they "cost" 450 BOD points, that's 155 gold / point.

A valorite smelter's talisman is 575 points, has 750 charges. Given:
a) The average cost of a valorite ingot is 2000 gold (I spot checked prices on Atlantic and LS)
b) At 105 mining skill with ringmail gloves on, there's a 62% chance of smelting valorite without loss,

then 750*2000*(1-.62) = 570,000 gold worth of valorite that's been saved.

If I then value the talisman at the same 570,000 and 575 points, then that's 991 gold/point, twice the value of the Powder of Fortification.

So assuming I have 375 ore of valorite available within 24 hours, then it seems worthwhile to cash in points for a talisman.

Do the numbers make sense?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yes, they do.

Let's say the POF point value calculation is 150 gold per point (to make the math simpler, plus POF selling for a little less off ATL/LS)

From my experience, just going out and mining random areas of Ilshenar (or any mining cave or dungeon outside fel) using a Gargoyle Pickaxe and Prospector tools (which can be gotten for 1 10 Count EX Iron small each, at a level where trying to assign gold per point really breaks down, as the tools aren't 30k value by any means, and GPAs also are loot off gargoyles):
...within 6 GPA & 1 PT, a human will mine up (including ore from ore elementals from GPA) between 120 & 150 Valorite* over 90 minutes (out of about 2000 ore). An Elf would probably get 130-160 Valorite, or more ((1.2 times more colored ore per dig (on average) minus the human 10% chance of an extra ore), plus several more digs per spot). A gargoyle would get about 10% less from digs than a human.

This is just from manual click and dig (normal shovel for first dig, then PT, then switching to GPA), using a last object/last target macro after.

* (calculated from an average of my last few mining trips; each time I came home with 120-140 valorite ingots, but at the time wasn't counting the ore before smelting it in the field on a Fire Beetle - and I usually forgot to put my gloves on so I was at 100 mining).

In Fel, ignoring the risk of a PK being petty and taking your ore (or making you watch it decay), this would increase by about 60% (as 1-3 25-ore sections are likely from elementals, and therefore not doubled).

Valorite Ore per 90 minute trip, using PT & GPA to maximize returns
[xtable=469x@]
{tbody}
{tr=@x15}
{td=105x15} Race {/td}
{td=28x15} {/td}
{td=110x15} Felucca{/td}
{td=118x15} Elsewhere{/td}
{td=250x15} Plus from Elementals {/td}
{/tr}
{tr=@x15}
{td=105x15} Human{/td}
{td=28x15} {/td}
{td=110x15} 140-200 {/td}
{td=118x15} 70-100 {/td}
{td=250x15} 0-75 (typical is 25 or 50){/td}
{/tr}
{tr=@x15}
{td=105x15} Elf{/td}
{td=28x15} {/td}
{td=110x15} 170-240{/td}
{td=118x15} 84-120{/td}
{td=250x15} 0-75{/td}
{/tr}
{tr=@x17}
{td=105x17} Gargoyle{/td}
{td=28x17} {/td}
{td=110x17} 125-180{/td}
{td=118x17} 60-90{/td}
{td=250x17} 0-75{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

To reach the threshold of 375 Valorite ore,
It will take a human 4-5 hours outside Fel, 3+ hours in Fel (3 Prospector Tools, and 15-20 Garg pickaxes)
It will take an Elf 3-4 hours outside Fel, under 3 hours in Fel (2-3 Prospector Tools, 15-18 Garg pickaxes)
It will take a Gargoyle about 4-6 hours outside Fel, 4+ hours in Fel (3-4 Prospector Tools, 20+ Garg pickaxes, ironically).

Triple these times (or more) would be needed without using the special tools (As the PT/GPA combination increases the chance of a Valorite spot from about 2% to almost 10% (the normal chances for agapite, verite and valorite, combined)), even before factoring in all the extra ore from all ore elementals.

Another option is to work as a team - you and a partner can mine different areas, and bringing the Valorite ore back to pass the talisman back and forth as needed. I did this once after claiming all 4 ore smelting talismans, and in about 2-4 hours, mining in tram-ruleset-only areas, we used at least half the charges on the Verite and Valorite talismans, over a third of the agapite talisman, and what we didn't use in the field of the gold talisman, got used up in a half-hour in Blackthorn's.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I like it, Basara.

My approach is more simple but probably not as effective. I just don't smelt it until I have a talisman. I probably still have 500 ore of valorite left to smelt, but I think it makes sense to wait until I have a talisman.

I haven't cranked the numbers for verite through gold talismans but I don't expect them to provide as much value.

Destiny<3

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I save up my ore to about 500 or so, get the talismans, then when I am done put them at Luna Bank (and announce it in general chat) on my server, so someone else can get some use out of them too.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The fact that (new) fire beetles and giant beetles start at 1 slot, means you can collect over 600 ore in the field (4 pack animals, each holding 133 large and a small, or 800 smalls if you resize it all to carry the equivalent of 200 large, in a single pack animal), before going to smelt the stuff squirreled away in the animals.

You smelt everything else but what you are collecting for the big smelt, and carry your replacement supplies (and smelted ingots) in the last packy, until you need the room (by which time most of the pickaxes and PT would be replaced by colored ingots, likely with you sending the Shadow Iron and regular iron ingots to the bank with a bag once they reach 2000-3000 or so on the pack animal). Only when you approach the total needed to use up the talisman would you need to go claim a Valorite or Verite talisman.

The Gold Talisman, as I've noted elsewhere, you can go to Blackthorn's and use it up completely in less than an hour, with a combat-capable miner.

Agapite Talismans remain the odd one out, unless you're doing mass party digs (like XMHC did in the day, ironically before the talismans existed - 3-6 miners scattered over the mountains ringing a third of Ilshenar and/or underutilized caves, all mining at once, trying for para elementals).

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
So assuming I have 375 ore of valorite available within 24 hours,
I save up my ore to about 500 or so, get the talismans, then when I am done put them at Luna Bank (and announce it in general chat) on my server, so someone else can get some use out of them too.
Hello crafters of Sosaria! We came to this forum with one question in mind, about the Smelter's Talisman for Valorite. We wonder about the charges, how are they counted? The first post/quote here gives us the impression it costs 1 charge per ingot, as 375 of the big ore piles make 750 ingots. The other quote however mentions saving ore up to about 500, and still having charges left over to share. We presume the difference is from the type of ore, saving the lighter smaller version giving 1 ingot per smelt?
The reason we ask is that we have been saving Agapite, Verite and Valorite for years when we were still mining with some regularity, but now we use a lot of Valorite for enhancing so the bottom of the pile of ingots comes close, so we may need to delay getting our decorative 60k pile of valorite ore...

[Edit: Apologies, now found the answer in the FAQ... :oops: ]

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If you put them all in one pile, it will only take 1 charge.
Not unless you got one that's bugged somehow.

The talismans consume 1 charge for every ingot that results, regardless if you did to a pile of 1000 small ore, or a stack of 50 large, or 1000 large, one at a time.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've considered these worthless, mostly due to the 24 hour timer. I can't put them on my vendor.
It is easy to put these on a vendor.Place the BOD that can claim these in a BOD Book, Price the BOD, Place the BOD Book on your vendor. You can also rename the BOD Book to the reward in it. Problem solved because the timer will not start until the buyer turns it in and claims the reward.