• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EA actioning private UO servers?

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
i ran across this post while searching the web. it was part of a thread about streaming/entertainment. i highlighted the part that surprised me. and here i thought EA didn't care about UO!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Adam Martin
Posted 5 months ago

Bravo. As a person who co-GM'ed a private shard of Ultima Online for ten years, I can say it was one of the best experiences I ever had. Our active player base never got over 40, but the act of creating stories for those players was so addictive that I gave up my career in order to pursue story telling. However, my storytelling career was delayed because EA games sent my studio of creators evil letters telling us to stop (or else). Now, with Twitch, independent creators like myself have a safe and legal place to build a community and earn a living by spinning yarns around the campfire. Thank you. So refreshing to see a CEO with enough vision to realize that it's better to profit together, than to profit alone.

Last edited:

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
oops, sorry folks, i thought i was in uhall posting this. mods, can you please move it to the correct board?

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i ran across this post while searching the web. it was part of a thread about streaming/entertainment. i highlighted the part that surprised me. and here i thought EA didn't care about UO!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Adam Martin
Posted 5 months ago

Bravo. As a person who co-GM'ed a private shard of Ultima Online for ten years, I can say it was one of the best experiences I ever had. Our active player base never got over 40, but the act of creating stories for those players was so addictive that I gave up my career in order to pursue story telling. However, my storytelling career was delayed because EA games sent my studio of creators evil letters telling us to stop (or else). Now, with Twitch, independent creators like myself have a safe and legal place to build a community and earn a living by spinning yarns around the campfire. Thank you. So refreshing to see a CEO with enough vision to realize that it's better to profit together, than to profit alone.
Link/Source? Date?

Arradin

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I highly doubt this is true.
I know for a fact that no such thing happened to the major servers that has been around for many many years - Why would they go for a small server with less than 40 players?

Deimos

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can't imagine them going after free shards after all this time, they've been around for donkeys years.

The only time I've heard of a warning letter or cease and desist being issued is when the owners charged for access to their shard.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Adam Martin
Posted 5 months ago

A safe place to earn a living ? gthooh