• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Different Computer

Porky

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I will be getting a different computer soon, and was wondering if I will need to re-install the game and then do all the updates, or can I just copy the files from my old computer to my newer computer? Any help will be appreciated.
Thank You.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
You're best off reinstalling the game client, but all the profiles for characters on each server that are in your userdata folder can be copied over so you don't need to reset up all your hot keys etc.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You're best off reinstalling the game client, but all the profiles for characters on each server that are in your userdata folder can be copied over so you don't need to reset up all your hot keys etc.
Good call out here. You can do a search on "macro" and each char macro will pop up in a notepad format. Copy those for sure to the new desktop.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You must typically, always, re-install programs from one computer to another. You cannot simply copy & paste the program folders.

As @Nexus said, you can copy & paste your userdata folder. This will keep all your macros and desktop settings the same as on your old computer.

If you are also upgrading to a larger monitor then you may need to adjust some of your old Display settings as well.

Porky

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Thank you all for the responses! But, what would happen if I tried to cut/paste thegame instead of re-installing? Would it fail to work, or would it work, but have various problems?

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thank you all for the responses! But, what would happen if I tried to cut/paste thegame instead of re-installing? Would it fail to work, or would it work, but have various problems?
My guess ( not any good at computers) is that the game will not start

The installer make changes to the windows registry if you copy paste you would have to make those changes by hand...... that is my guess

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When you install a program on a windows computer, the installer copies files into the program folder, may install .dlls into the system folder, usually creates a shortcut to an executable and creates entries in the registry pointing to said files.

99.9% of the time, simply copying and pasting the program folder would not work.

Draden

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
OK , i as well have decided its time for a new computer ( mine is running on windows 7 :-O ) but i had saw in one of the forums problems with installation on windows 10 systems . Is this still an issue?

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
OK , i as well have decided its time for a new computer ( mine is running on windows 7 :-O ) but i had saw in one of the forums problems with installation on windows 10 systems . Is this still an issue?
If you purchase Windows 10 already on computers, then there won't be any issues. but if you add Windows 10 to other computers... then you can run into issues. It destroyed my hubbys laptop (back when it first came out). Hubby bought us new computers in Nov 2018 and I have had no issues with it. And I love the new feature that's built in... (press windows key, shift & s... then crop your screen... then paste(ctrl v) to where you need it)

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can run the installer - but NOT start it... Then copy the game conent into there, and save you for a lot of patching.
Also - copy the EA Games folder within your document folder, to get all desktops, macros and settings over.

Works like a charm - ive done that for years...