• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why the new bad colors? Can I get back the old colors`?

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Well things look really different around here! This might take a bit of getting used to....

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Dark theme is still there but I hate it... You can't see what is not read now... it's all the same color... and it's not as bold as before it's impossible to tell read threads from unread threads. And this Classic is nasty.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
And while we are on the subject the pinned stuff blends in with the unpinned stuff there isn't much division between them anymore... rather hard to tell where things really start. Just a bit of feedback.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I already had it on 'dark' but I don't know what I read and what I didn't read, is it just me or is it all the same...yeah my eyesight is not the best! :oops:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I like the color. But everything is so square.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Let’s give them a little bit of time to work bugs out and send them positive and constructive feedback. If they haven’t gotten it back to our liking in a week, then you can bring the torches and pitchforks out . . . :p

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
So here's the long and short of things.....

Xenforo 1.5.x, the software the forums run on, reached end of support. There are no more security patches coming in the future, no further development, no new anything. The EU members, California, and a few other places are putting in or have put in new regulations that deal with everything cookies to how ads are served. Not being compliant will effect Ad revenue to Stratics, we don't get enough in donations to fund everything long term so upgrading was the only avenue available. If it wasn't for this, we would have been able to set up the Wordpress sites, move the forums to the community subdomain and everything would have been exactly the same visually on the forums.

This came with a few drawbacks. Primarily nothing from Xenforo 1.x series is compatible with Xenforo 2.x, 2.x was a complete rewrite of the codebase. This meant purchasing or finding free alternatives to all the plugins we had for things like the Guild forums, Donation manager, ad manager, a bunch of features you probably never noticed like aspects of Conversations, and interaction between members in posts such as using the "@" symbol preceding a username to alert them etc. This also provided us an opportunity to include some new features or expanded versions of existing ones that weren't available for 1.5.x series software.

None of the Themes/Skins/Styles you were used too translated over so new ones have to be either entirely built in house, bought or obtained from 3rd parties or a combination of the two where we purchase/obtained 3rd party and modify in house. We don't have an in house web developer, so from scratch work is limited. I and others can modify existing themes to a limit but there are limits. There will be more themes coming, but those will take time and I can't prioritize them until I can be sure that any kinks or bugs in the existing feature set are worked out or at least identified and mitigated to a reasonable extent.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Stratics has always had the best forum features IMO. It's not bad, just gonna take some getting used to. I do think you all have way too many forums for the amount of regular users you have.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Stratics has always had the best forum features IMO. It's not bad, just gonna take some getting used to. I do think you all have way too many forums for the amount of regular users you have.
Yea we have a lot of forums. We've talked about it in the past, but it always comes down to trying to figure out who we'd make mad if we removed or condensed some.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
can be sure that any kinks or bugs in the existing feature set are worked out or at least identified and mitigated to a reasonable extent.
reasonable extent lol.. This actually sounds like something the devs would say :/ And this still beats the hell out of those other forums!

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
reasonable extent lol.. This actually sounds like something the devs would say :/ And this still beats the hell out of those other forums!
By reasonable extent, I mean if one plugin is causing a conflict with another turn one off and contact the developers for support :p So yea it's to an extent, it isn't fixed it's just a work around.

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't want to be that guy, I really don't. But this is horrible. Things change and I understand the Xenforo update non-compatibility. But man, this just isn't aesthetically pleasing at all.

Really looking forward to new themes in the future... Sorry to be debbie downer but my goodness.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I don't want to be that guy, I really don't. But this is horrible. Things change and I understand the Xenforo update non-compatibility. But man, this just isn't aesthetically pleasing at all.

Really looking forward to new themes in the future... Sorry to be debbie downer but my goodness.
This any better?

shadesofgrey.png

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I like the UO Classic. Don't change that. The dividers make the page look less square.

This looks a lot better than many Forums. Thanks

Can a Divider go between the Sticky and Normal Threads?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm liking it better... Starting to look pretty good.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I like the UO Classic. Don't change that. The dividers make the page look less square.

This looks a lot better than many Forums. Thanks

Can a Divider go between the Sticky and Normal Threads?
There's a gap between them already. Above Sticky Posts it says "Sticky Threads" where normal posts start it says "Normal Threads" In every style except "UO Classic" it also has a red bar down the side of Sticky Threads

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There's a gap between them already. Above Sticky Posts it says "Sticky Threads" where normal posts start it says "Normal Threads" In every style except "UO Classic" it also has a red bar down the side of Sticky Threads
Yup it is easier to see the separation in the Dark. But, I like the UO Classic.

A gap like this would make it easier to see the separation:

1578636080788.png

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i wasnt a fan on day one, but now its looking a lot better, more like what i know and like.
and lets face it, we place a 22 year old game, so change is bad, mmmm kay!

but good work team, its looking better or the classic theme!

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
maybe one suggestion for the UO Classic.
can you make the 'sticky thread' and the 'normal thread' block a different background so we can see where the difference is between them?
right now its all just one big chunk.
i like seeing the separation between the sticky and the normal threads.
just aesthetics.

Dorset

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Darker view looks the nuts, great work.

Main home page looks really clear and refreshed.

Last edited:

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yup it is easier to see the separation in the Dark. But, I like the UO Classic.

A gap like this would make it easier to see the separation:

View attachment 104740
maybe one suggestion for the UO Classic.
can you make the 'sticky thread' and the 'normal thread' block a different background so we can see where the difference is between them?
right now its all just one big chunk.
i like seeing the separation between the sticky and the normal threads.
just aesthetics.

spacer.png

Does this help, added a spacer between them.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Nexus Thanks. Makes it easier to scroll down to the new posts on my phone. The slight color difference brween sticky and new also helps.

Thanks for modifying the new forum look based on our feedback.

Last edited:

Chap

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like the new design, its different but still good overview.
Only bad thing is that my logo no longer match, might have to look into that lol :cool:

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I like the new design, and LOVE that you can show new posts and mark forums read...
love this... but miss seeing the reward icons from the contests

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I like the new design, and LOVE that you can show new posts and mark forums read...
love this... but miss seeing the reward icons from the contests
The author of the plugin we used for that for some reason has fallen off the map. We found an alternative plugin, and it shows the awards in your profile.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Ahh okay Shades of Grey is better, thank you @Nexus, I'm just glad it's not 50 shades of grey! :eek:

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
+1 On shades of gray approval :) Love how it looks!

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Biggest hassle now is every single time I google and click on a stratics link I am getting error messages, it seems all old links are not obtainable and having to search over and over for stuff is pretty boring. Is there anyway of doing auto redirects? ERROR ERROR ERROR had so many in the last day or so I give up.

Miri of Sonoma

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like the Shades of Grey but it is missing the option to collapse the sticky threads section. Can this be added back? Also can those new forums at the top be collapsible as well? Having unread threads a different colour would be more helpful but I can live with the bolder white.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I like the Shades of Grey but it is missing the option to collapse the sticky threads section. Can this be added back? Also can those new forums at the top be collapsible as well? Having unread threads a different colour would be more helpful but I can live with the bolder white.
Should be able to now. Also, have all the subforums in a dropdown under their parent node to keep the forum list from looking so cluttered. Everyone will have to "re-pick" the theme though since it's actually a completely different base that I modified to have the same basic elements as far as color etc.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Biggest hassle now is every single time I google and click on a stratics link I am getting error messages, it seems all old links are not obtainable and having to search over and over for stuff is pretty boring. Is there anyway of doing auto redirects? ERROR ERROR ERROR had so many in the last day or so I give up.
Google and other Search engines will take a bit to update to all the new addresses. Avg time is anywhere from 4 days to 4 weeks for a site to be completely re-indexed.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
@Nexus Not sure what happened, but the only theme I can use now is the default. All of the other option aren't even listed now.
I gave your account a kick, let me know if they are showing up now.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yeah ... the URL to everything changed. I'm slowly getting around to changing all the bookmarks. Was there any warning of this coming? I might have missed the memo.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yeah ... the URL to everything changed. I'm slowly getting around to changing all the bookmarks. Was there any warning of this coming? I might have missed the memo.
The URL changes are one of the first things I mentioned in this thread. Stratics 2020

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Great job Nexus!

Thank you for your years of commitment :thumbup1:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Nexus Using the UO classic colors: The links you make by using the link button above make This color It is not easy to see the color difference between normal text color and link text color. Thanks

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
@Nexus Using the UO classic colors: The links you make by using the link button above make This color It is not easy to see the color difference between normal text color and link text color. Thanks
Better?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes Thank you but I think it broke something else.
Sorry
All the threads show as unread now.
1580605611567.png