• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Should I stay or go?

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have had a lot happen in rl and I have been away from UO for three months. I have a full time job in the IT industry. My father nearly died in August, September was helping dad get strong again, then in October we suffered the second flood in our home this year. The hot water heater blew up and we had a foot of water standing in the basement. Obviously we missed Halloween, and we miss the anniversary gifts. I was quite horrified when ,after asking nicely about the anniversary gifts, we were accused of lying about our real life events by UO staff. Jirel who has been handling the insurance claim offered copies of the claim and pictures of the damage. We both offer copies of the hospital papers on dad and the home health papers.

So now I am pretty much wondering why I should even continue to pay for this game. I mean Jeez, if I treated one of my customer in such a fashion I'd find my butt in the unemployment line.

Sadder still, Jirel tried to give some stuff away in game and was basically told to go bugger off. I'm sure we can all guess her response to that and its unprintable. Jirel is telling everyone our houses will IDOC in three months , and I haven't tried to stop her. For the first time ever I am wondering if she is right; just walk away, let the houses fall, and flip Broadsword the bird as we walk out the door.

Seriously is there any reason to stay?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You can only answer that yourself... If you think you missed anything by the anniversary gifts you didn't... not only are they fugly but they aren't really that exciting so honestly you didn't miss much... Halloween was..... equally unexciting and you can get the crates and whatnot from pirates still so if you want to do that knock yourself out... you can still do the fellowship stuff as well so you didn't miss anything there... 2 new items from Trick or treat... and some new carvable pumpkin designs ... kinda blah if you ask me so don't fret it...

And I have to be honest.. I read your post on the "official" forum... and had you just stated your problems and said you missed the Anniversary gifts I know many folk would have just given you some... myself included... but the rant you went on about on there was I have to say a MASSIVE turn off. Not that I think the game is totally wonderful and roses... but honestly thinking that the DEVs should give you something because you were gone and not able to log in long enough to get it??? Really? What if everyone did that??? Do you suppose the DEVs would have time to go around making new gifts for everyone every day??? No think not...

But really anyone in-game could have felt sorry for you and given you guys some tokens for the Anniversary gift and likely would have had you just mentioned your trouble and said you were sad you missed it... but I think you kinda blew that opportunity in your rant... just saying.

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You can only answer that yourself... If you think you missed anything by the anniversary gifts you didn't... not only are they fugly but they aren't really that exciting so honestly you didn't miss much... Halloween was..... equally unexciting and you can get the crates and whatnot from pirates still so if you want to do that knock yourself out... you can still do the fellowship stuff as well so you didn't miss anything there... 2 new items from Trick or treat... and some new carvable pumpkin designs ... kinda blah if you ask me so don't fret it...

And I have to be honest.. I read your post on the "official" forum... and had you just stated your problems and said you missed the Anniversary gifts I know many folk would have just given you some... myself included... but the rant you went on about on there was I have to say a MASSIVE turn off. Not that I think the game is totally wonderful and roses... but honestly thinking that the DEVs should give you something because you were gone and not able to log in long enough to get it??? Really? What if everyone did that??? Do you suppose the DEVs would have time to go around making new gifts for everyone every day??? No think not...

But really anyone in-game could have felt sorry for you and given you guys some tokens for the Anniversary gift and likely would have had you just mentioned your trouble and said you were sad you missed it... but I think you kinda blew that opportunity in your rant... just saying.
I am sorry about that rant. Sis and I were upset at being called a liar by the GM. We'd asked extremely nicely and we're told no, and that the GM didn't believe us. The GM said the cut off date was posted in plain sight. I found it after clicking on patch notes, then going to the bottom of the page. Doesn't important cut off dates rate the UO website front page?
All I can say is: I'm sorry, we were both upset. Nobody likes being called a liar.

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is just a game. It’s all it is. Real life comes first With regards to the anniversary gift. They are crap anyway. Just buy some you have not really missed much. Best not say too much here as u will, as you know get grief most of the time. The game will still be here when you are ready. And don’t just let the houses decay as you mentioned in the forum. You will massively regret it as you WILL be back

Draden

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Ok , my two cents . Does the game relax you or cause you anxiety? If it relaxes you then continue to play when you can . Just as in RL the game has clicks of people in control of the game as well as players in it and at times its aggravating when your not in that click to try to get something done or to ask a question and have no response. Take it for what it is, a way to relax and shake it off. Yes , I know its a hard thing to do at times. As far as the gifts i have spare on LA you can have if you haven't received any of them yet just not sure how i could get them to you. Now even if you do decide to stop for a while i would put most important items in the bank as a safety net as we never know what might draw us back into the game.

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Maybe take a month break and get yourself together. If you think about the game and how much you miss it then youll have your answer.

If not, hey you will be saving money on all those game time codes hehe

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Ps

I would never let a gm or game producer or another player affect if i continued to play a game

Also, the anniversary tokens werent that great to begin with in my opinion.
We used to get better gifts in the past...

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Q: Should I stay or go?

A: Take a longer break.

Mr. Mayhem

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I think the answer is pretty simple. The answer is that your decision to play should be up to you. This is a game...why be so dramatic about it? Why do you need any other validation from others?

I can also guarantee you that other players have far worse situations than you have described. I compare this to someone putting up emo song lyrics on Facebook and seeking attention.

Maldar

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You didn't miss much. I look forward to the holiday events all year long and a lot of people only come back for these events every year. The fun was in the Halloween dungeon that you could go to alone and just join a group already working it or work it solo until someone inevitably shows up and joins you. For a solo player, like myself, that was a lot of fun. This year, ships that we had already been attacking since March compliments of the story arc, just altered to pumpkin deco and we continued to attack ships. It certainly doesn't take more than one player to do that. If you are on Sonoma, I will give you the tokens you missed.......they are for nothing I am interested in.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Thread has been cleaned up. Please keep all comments without any personal attacks or insults. All posts that do not follow will be removed and warnings will be issued. Thanks for your understanding

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thread has been cleaned up. Please keep all comments without any personal attacks or insults. All posts that do not follow will be removed and warnings will be issued. Thanks for your understanding
We have sunk to a new low here at Stratics. When calling out a poster for being entitled and whiny, when that is the entire point of their post, gets called a personal attack and deleted it's a sad day. This kind of topic should never have survived in UHall to begin with. It isn't about UO questions... is just a complaint that he didn't get rewards after the fact. It should have been removed onsight, just like it was from the official UO forums. IMO, if the mods are going to let the OP stand, all comments related to it should be left alone.

Last edited:

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We have sunk to a new low here at Stratics.
I wouldn't exactly say it's new. You are correct that this should have been deleted on sight. This whole thread contributes absolutely nothing to add to knowledge or gameplay.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
First post I read and alls it is is more DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA from the DRAMA QUEENS
This is a dam game used to get away from reality, grow up.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seriously you offer documentation of yer real life malfunctions to game managers in hopes of obtaining something you missed out on......... :drama:

Jelinidas

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
This is a joke, right???
I lived in the boonies with no high speed internet for 5 years. Dear Devs, will you credit my account? Oh yeah, I have proof!
Dude, you cant be serious. I vote go.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Luc, at the risk of an admin admonishing me, you've got issues, RL issues. If your father did in fact pass, that's sad and you have my compassion (whether you want it or not), but if you immediately page a GM to complain that you missed out on freaking Halloween goodies because of that, well..there's a real strong part of me that wants to say you're not telling the truth, mainly because I can not fathom how anyone would give a good crap about an online game after losing a loved one...if my wife or son dies prematurely , sorry BS, UO, Origin, EA, and anyone else involved with this game, you're going to be the furthest thing from my mind for a good long while, but damn sure longer than 2 MONTHS AGO !!!!!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mods removed other posts with less name calling. So I doubt you see this because I quoted your post full of personal attacks and insults and it will be gone. Hehe they left mine.

GMs or EMs do not have the power or ability to make tokens. Do you seriously think they could help you?

I was playing The Sims online and Diablos for a few years maybe I can get my back tokens. I paid for UO even tho I did not log in.

Why is this post not in Rants and Raves? @Archnight @Captn Norrington @Victim of Siege

Last edited:

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
We have sunk to a new low here at Stratics. When calling out a poster for being entitled and whiny, when that is the entire point of their post, gets called a personal attack and deleted it's a sad day.
Keep it within the RoC and it can stay up.
It should have been removed onsight, just like it was from the official UO forums.
When a thread gets locked or removed, people complain about censorship and not being able to discuss things but then when we leave things open then we get complaints for not locking or removing.

Plain and simple, most everyone one playing is late 30s and older. You know the RoC and need to follow it the same as the official forum and any other forum. If the OP wants to complain about not getting the UO gifts in a UO related forum section made for discussing UO, they can. Just as anyone who disagrees may respond as well. All responses need to be kept within the RoC or risk post removal or thread ban, or a warning. We have mellowed our moderation trying to give Stratics members the ability to discuss things without threads constantly being locked or removed. As long as posters keep it within the RoC, there is no need to remove it. Complaining about a removed post that received no action against the account is just as ridiculous as posting about missing in-game gifts because you did not log in.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Keep it within the RoC and it can stay up.

When a thread gets locked or removed, people complain about censorship and not being able to discuss things but then when we leave things open then we get complaints for not locking or removing.

Plain and simple, most everyone one playing is late 30s and older. You know the RoC and need to follow it the same as the official forum and any other forum. If the OP wants to complain about not getting the UO gifts in a UO related forum section made for discussing UO, they can. Just as anyone who disagrees may respond as well. All responses need to be kept within the RoC or risk post removal or thread ban, or a warning. We have mellowed our moderation trying to give Stratics members the ability to discuss things without threads constantly being locked or removed. As long as posters keep it within the RoC, there is no need to remove it. Complaining about a removed post that received no action against the account is just as ridiculous as posting about missing in-game gifts because you did not log in.
So the OP can call posters "sad", "petty", "little", etc and that seems all good, but when someone refers to him as whiny and entitled, the post needs removed?

My post was spot on. The OP is being whiny because he didn't get special treatment and get given rewards after the the fact to which he felt entitled. In addition my post pointed out that we all experience RL issues that take us away from game time, as well as pointing out an alternative means to post in a constructive manner.

Furthermore, I didn't complain about action against my account. I complained about the fact that this thread has no business in Uhall, but that if you're (the mods) going to permit it under the guise of allowing conversation, comments like mine (which IMO are within the generally accepted ToS for conduct in this forum) should also be allowed to stay.

Incidentally, his post on the official forums was removed almost immediately.

I have devoted enough energy to this thread *exits*

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
So the OP can call posters "sad", "petty", "little", etc and that seems all good, but when someone refers to him as whiny and entitled, the post needs removed?
That post has been gone for 18 minutes

I complained about the fact that this thread has no business in Uhall, but that if you're (the mods) going to permit it under the guise of allowing conversation, comments like mine (which IMO are within the generally accepted ToS for conduct in this forum) should also be allowed to stay.
UHall is for UO related discussion. Currently people are complaining about many different aspects of UO. I think that the thread is as ridiculous as the rest of you do however it about UO and doesn't need to be removed whether you agree or not.

You have referred to the OP a few times as whiny and petty and all but one post is up so we are allowing conversation and comments like yours. One part of your comment crossed the line and was removed but no action was taken on your account. ToS and RoC are two different things. You keep mentioning the the other forum, they have less leniency than we do and constantly remove and lock threads. If that is your preference, you may want to stay there.

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Luc, at the risk of an admin admonishing me, you've got issues, RL issues. If your father did in fact pass, that's sad and you have my compassion (whether you want it or not), but if you immediately page a GM to complain that you missed out on freaking Halloween goodies because of that, well..there's a real strong part of me that wants to say you're not telling the truth, mainly because I can not fathom how anyone would give a good crap about an online game after losing a loved one...if my wife or son dies prematurely , sorry BS, UO, Origin, EA, and anyone else involved with this game, you're going to be the furthest thing from my mind for a good long while, but damn sure longer than 2 MONTHS AGO !!!!!
No, Garth my dad did not die. He NEARLY died. Let me explain, he had a surgery that many, many men his age have. It's supposed to be "routine". They did this as an outpatient which at dad's age and health was a terrible idea. Dad developed a massive urinary tract infection. That in itself is bad enough, but combine that with dad being a type 1 diabetic it was disastrous. He was in the hospital 4 days and the care he received was terrible. He was home TWO whole days ad was readmitted (to a different hospital) where he spent a week and a half. During that time the enzymes that usually indicate a patient has had a heart attack shot up. It was determined by cardiology that he hadn't had a heart attack. The elevation was in fact caused by the severity of the infection. I would say dad was dang near septic. My dad also suffers from mild dementia, the infection made him hallucinate, and at one point he didn't not know me, my sister or my mother. My parents have been married 52 years, and have known each other since they were 14 years old so for him to not recognized mom that's bad. Once they cleared up the infection dad knew us again.

Everyone might call me petty, entitled, whiny, or whatever nastiness you wish to fling at me, but I promise you I would NEVER wish on to any of you what I have been through.

I was STUPID to think if I asked politely given my extenuating circumstances that a GM might allow me to have the Anniversary gifts. I certainly never expected to be called a LIAR.

If all of you think that is acceptable behavior for Game Master, then I seriously question your judgement. If you all think that I deserve to be called a crude name for a female dog then so be it.

Call me what you will. I was NEVER mad about the gifts, I was upset at being called a liar.

Last edited:

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have had a lot happen in rl and I have been away from UO for three months. I have a full time job in the IT industry. My father nearly died in August, September was helping dad get strong again, then in October we suffered the second flood in our home this year. The hot water heater blew up and we had a foot of water standing in the basement. Obviously we missed Halloween, and we miss the anniversary gifts. I was quite horrified when ,after asking nicely about the anniversary gifts, we were accused of lying about our real life events by UO staff. Jirel who has been handling the insurance claim offered copies of the claim and pictures of the damage. We both offer copies of the hospital papers on dad and the home health papers.

So now I am pretty much wondering why I should even continue to pay for this game. I mean Jeez, if I treated one of my customer in such a fashion I'd find my butt in the unemployment line.

Sadder still, Jirel tried to give some stuff away in game and was basically told to go bugger off. I'm sure we can all guess her response to that and its unprintable. Jirel is telling everyone our houses will IDOC in three months , and I haven't tried to stop her. For the first time ever I am wondering if she is right; just walk away, let the houses fall, and flip Broadsword the bird as we walk out the door.

Seriously is there any reason to stay?
With all due respect - with all the things going on in life if you even think for a minute holiday gifts or Halloween events IN GAME are even remotely important - you should just walk away from the game. This is an escape from life and some fun in otherwise downtime - not a replacement for life. Your life seems to have alot going on and you should focus there. This is all make believe and none of this really matters. When they finally turn this game off everything will go poof anyways. Dont' miss life or even stress for a second because of this stupid game.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was STUPID to think if I asked politely given my extenuating circumstances that a GM might allow me to have the Anniversary gifts. I certainly never expected to be called a LIAR.

If all of you think that is acceptable behavior for Game Master, then I seriously question your judgement. If you all think that I deserve to be called a crude name for a female dog then so be it.
I am Blunt to everyone not just you.

A GM can not make tokens. I would have to see the transcript of the conversation. You mentioned not seeing the dates. The GM probably was talking about trying to show you the dates were posted when you told him they were not. You were in effect lying about that, since the dates were posted. I doubt the GM said the word Liar. Why would he? Whether you, me or the GM is lying makes no difference in getting tokens.

You probably went on the Dad sick tangent and he was not following you and you were not following him.

Your dad being sick is irrelevant. Why would the GM even take that part into consideration. He cant make tokens! They are VERY limited on their powers.

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can't believe I'm going to reply to this thread but after watching my father die HORRIBLY from cancer over a six month window, I have to agree with the poster who said that any possible thoughts of what happens in UO during and after the devastation left behind during the terrible struggle dealing with a terminal (or near terminal illness) is flat out unfathomable and if you truly were serious in trying to pry a pixel out of a GM because you missed a goodie window... holy hell... what the???? I can't even get to the point where I consider what the GM response would be, just the asking in of itself makes me question how you could possibly consider that request remotely reasonable. If a holiday token means that much to you while dealing with such a personal tragedy, then yes, I think for your own well being you might want to consider ditching this addiction and concentrate on more important things. You asked should you stay or go? To me the choice is obvious and it has nothing to do with what a GM did, didn't do, or say to you.

I'd wipe my UO existence and everything I ever accomplished in UO for the chance to see my father again or to see my mother laugh again.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mods removed other posts with less name calling. So I doubt you see this because I quoted your post full of personal attacks and insults and it will be gone. Hehe they left mine.

GMs or EMs do not have the power or ability to make tokens. Do you seriously think they could help you?

I was playing The Sims online and Diablos for a few years maybe I can get my back tokens. I paid for UO even tho I did not log in.

Why is this post not in Rants and Raves? @Archnight @Captn Norrington @Victim of Siege
I'm guessing you tagged me by accident, I'm not a Stratics employee any longer.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
*chuckles* Vic is a 'Raver"...

HippoRedux

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stay. Legends is sparsely populated as it is, especially of quality people - and yes, many of us have missed you, Luc. I've taken sabbaticals of many months over my "UO life" but never really missed much that I could not purchase or others would gift me. UO is an inexpensive escape from Reality - but never a substitute for it :) Welcome back!

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If the GM called you a liar, which I cannot accept on face value as I just don't have that information, that was wrong, but they weren't wrong for not giving you special treatment, regardless of what earnestly terrible **** you have been going through. Hope everything is ok though.

Though... knowing your sis over the years on here, she absolutly gets off on creating and sustaining internet drama, or she certainly once did. So, id be wary of that.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I went through both my parents deaths... both having had Cancer and dying one after the other... and honestly I'll say this... WITHOUT my friends here I don't think I would have gotten through it as well as I did... thanks to wonderful friends here in UO... online I managed to survive losing both my parents to cancer... and that was hard... My mother suffered nearly 2 years with Ovarian Cancer (The Silent Killer)... and then just 2 short years later my Father got pancreatic cancer... which I knew right then was a death sentence for him... and despite all that and all the trips to the clinics for Chemo and therapy and everything else and being stuffed in a tiny hospice room for a week or more with my siblings... just a few days shy of Christmas for my Papa who died just 2 days before Christmas... I still managed to get my gifts... talk to my friends here and all... managed a lot of things... even with funeral planning and everything else that I had going on... but that's what good friends are for is helping out and stuff... and I have some amazing friends here.

But one thing I never did was page a GM and ask for stuffs if missed them. I just missed them. Wasn't important... But UO got me through a lot of things. Its a nice escape even now when I still miss my parents every day.

Great thanks now I'm gonna have a "I miss my Mommy/Daddy moment"... *sigh*...

Count your blessings for still having yours. Enjoy them even if you think you will have plenty of time with them... you never really know that. My parents weren't even 70 when they passed. I still feel robbed.

But the last thing that you should care about is some silly pixel crack in a game. While I get that the stress can make you think you are just not going to be satisfied and maybe they did call you a Liar or not... does it really matter in the big picture? You still have a Dad. Call it good.

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I have a friend in Hawaii who had her place flooded last year.
I always reminded her when to log in to get her gifts.
And if she wasn't able to log in, I gave her what I could.
That's the great thing about UO, that players help each other out.

I understand fully about the flooding and about dealing with your fathers health issues.
I lost two uncles this year and it really made it difficult to play.
There were days I didn't want to get up, let alone log into the game.
And days I didn't want to talk to anyone at all, because if I did I would start to cry.

Going through difficult times is hard...
Even harder when you realize you forgot to collect something.
I get mad at myself because I forget.
I then would ask my friends for help with whatever it is...
or check vendors

the greatest thing about UO is the community...
get to know the community on your shard
you would be amazed at how many people who would be willing to help.

I suggest you take a short break
and count your blessings for what you do have...
don't do anything rash, because you could always regret it later...

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
TBH, real life > pixel life.

You have enough issues IRL without the crap this game offers. My account is closed and the house fell in October. I hang here because of the people and nothing else. These are good folks - even if a bit daft sometimes. But without UO I have been less tense, less hyper about things in general.

EA/BS are not any sort of professional support and I say get the hell out while the getting's good. You and Jirel save anything you want to keep for any return and let the rest drop. <shrug>

Last edited: