• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Playing Ultima Online on Ultrawide Monitor

Johnny Black

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I am thinking on upgrade my workstation and I am going towards the Ultrawide 34"+ Monitors.
I was wondering if anyone have one of those and how does it look on UO?

The idea is to upgrade for one of those:

Johnny Black

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
But all jokes aside, this is a serious question, I see the benefit of having 1 huge screen, other than 3+ screens but I also hate the fact that you will need to be playing the resize window all the time, if playing with more than 2 clients and that is the benefit of having 3 separate screens, because you can just drag from 1 place to other, but also the pro will be no cable mess. But I am really thinking about, bc most the new monitors are 4K and than UO will be looking like small crap, just like @Uvtha point .

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had a wide monitor like this (32") and then went back to having 3x smaller 24" ones. I think its more a personal choice. Also I didn't like the curved ones either.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But all jokes aside, this is a serious question, I see the benefit of having 1 huge screen, other than 3+ screens but I also hate the fact that you will need to be playing the resize window all the time, if playing with more than 2 clients and that is the benefit of having 3 separate screens, because you can just drag from 1 place to other, but also the pro will be no cable mess. But I am really thinking about, bc most the new monitors are 4K and than UO will be looking like small crap, just like @Uvtha point .
Yeah, I was like if it's 4k it's literally like an index card hah. You may have to stick with 3 if you want to be able to see the game, unless there are workarounds I don't know about which is more than possible as I haven't played much in the last 2-3 years.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I had one for a while. I just had it set for 3 screen areas. The monitors app was easy to use so if it has a user friendly monitor app you won't have trouble.

Mine took horrible screen shots so I got rid of it.

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
I have one of those and I like it! Great for anything really.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah, I was like if it's 4k it's literally like an index card hah. You may have to stick with 3 if you want to be able to see the game, unless there are workarounds I don't know about which is more than possible as I haven't played much in the last 2-3 years.
Did you just do 6 months in county lockup ?

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use a 24" monitor, and i find it hard that items in backpack is hard to target, rings, bracelets and stuff like that, specially in 2D its a real pain in the butt.

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL at the "come on now..." pics :-D

I'm currently on an LG 29" ultrawide, which is nice for having the client and Discord side by side. I can run 2 clients but at the size I have my window set, they have to overlap (I play EC).

Today I've got a Samsung 34" curved ultrawide being delivered :) I just need more space to multi-task. Having access to the game, browser, and Discord all at once easily is the goal. Right now, I have to minimize either the browser or the game to use the other.

Generally speaking, it's definitely worth going with the ultrawide, in my opinion. It's so much easier to multitask. Part of the reason I decided to upgrade was so I could take my 29" ultrawide and move it to my laptop docking station for my at-home work desk. I prefer the extra width rather than, say, a standard 27" monitor. It feels more natural to look side to side versus up and down.

dingomate

Seasoned Veteran
32" samsung curve here and 2 windows fit the screen quite well. Uo fits 55-60% and a browser will fill the rest appropriately

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
32" samsung curve here and 2 windows fit the screen quite well. Uo fits 55-60% and a browser will fill the rest appropriately
Thats what I have. I''m not sure how the curve helps but I like it for what I do. Using desk pins I can play and have a large or some small windows open in the places I dont need to click for UO.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
43" TCL HD TV for me, love it, works great, graphics are terrific and very easy to quickly read everything on screen without squinting.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I use a 49" LED 4k Ultra TV... I love it.

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
My husband got both of us the 32" Sceptre Curved Monitor
when we got new computers last year.

Some have asked if the curve bother us...
I have to say that in the beginning it bothered me a lil bit, but I quickly got over that.
It just takes a lil to get used to.

I also will occasionally have two clients open side by side (CC)
or just have discord or icq open on the other side.