• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Old School tamer wanting to learn new things

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I have not played much in the past couple of years. I finally finished training my first couple of pets and want to learn about using peace or disco masteries and also how to properly use a weaver/tamer.

My bard/tamer is
120 Taming
120 Lore
120 Vet
120 Music
120 Peace // 120 Disco on stone
100 Magery
10 Med

What are some of the ways this can be player can be used?

My Weaver/Tamer is
120 Tame
120 Lore
105 vet // working to 120
120 Weaving
110 Magery
100 Eval
30 Med

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have not played much in the past couple of years. I finally finished training my first couple of pets and want to learn about using peace or disco masteries and also how to properly use a weaver/tamer.

My bard/tamer is
120 Taming
120 Lore
120 Vet
120 Music
100 Magery
10 Med

My Weaver/Tamer is
120 Tame
120 Lore
120 Weaving
110 Magery
100 Eval
30 Med

Bard masteries will not be very useful to you unless you use the full bard (with peace, disco and provo). The fewer bard skills you have, the less effect the mastery has, and the higher the mana cost. So, apart from producing very low benefit, you won't have enough mana to run it. Using straight Discord is still very viable on a tamer.
On a SW tamer, you might want to replace eval with 120 Med. Your damage will come from SW AoE spells for spawn, and Word of Death for the boss. Word of Death does enormous damage, but also eats a lot of mana. So 120 Med helps. 100 Eval, on the other hand will be of marginal use and will take mana away from more useful things (above).

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I know others do so I won't knock it, but I very very rarely use vet. Even when I have a pet tanking corgul or other higher end stuff I never use it. I can use gift of renewal and gheal to get it full hp quickly. Also, sometimes I use music/peace mastery at corgul, even without having a 3d Bard skill the buff is great.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I know others do so I won't knock it, but I very very rarely use vet. Even when I have a pet tanking corgul or other higher end stuff I never use it. I can use gift of renewal and gheal to get it full hp quickly. Also, sometimes I use music/peace mastery at corgul, even without having a 3d Bard skill the buff is great.
I just made a new suit since I have been using my old crusty luck suit for many years. It is all 70s with protection cast, 4/6 casting, 24 int, 42 MI, 13 Damage eater, 15 energy eater, full lrc/lmc, 5 casting inc and 28 SDI. I may be able to stone vet and try using peace and disco at the same time while healing with magery. It will be something different for me. I guess I could also stone off vet and add something else to this along with either peace or disco.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I just made a new suit since I have been using my old crusty luck suit for many years. It is all 70s with protection cast, 4/6 casting, 24 int, 42 MI, 13 Damage eater, 15 energy eater, full lrc/lmc, 5 casting inc and 28 SDI. I may be able to stone vet and try using peace and disco at the same time while healing with magery. It will be something different for me. I guess I could also stone off vet and add something else to this along with either peace or disco.
120 tame lore music disco (or peace) mage sw is generally my all around favorite for higher end stuff that needs a group. I use a high MR suit with high SDI. Pet +WoD gives excellent dmg. The buffs keep the group going and I come in at the end with 5-10 WoD to maximize my loot.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

My bard/tamer is
120 Taming
120 Lore
120 Vet
120 Music
100 Magery
10 Med

My Weaver/Tamer is
120 Tame
120 Lore
120 Weaving
110 Magery
100 Eval
30 Med

My disco tamer (#1 with disco) is one of my favorite solo hunting templates. Combine it with a Chiv/AI or Chiv/FWW pet and it is an absolute killer. I run this as a gargoyle (for faster movement) with a high MR suit and use Consume Damage on the pet.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
For the Bard/Tamer

What I run involves using some equipment to stretch my skills a bit
120 Tame
120 Lore
120 Vet
120 Music
120 Provo
120 Disco/Peace (depending on what's on or on stone)
100 Magery.

45 points of the Magery are split between ring, bracelet and spellbook (with things like slayers and SDI not a concern from 0 eval, use of the old Tome of Lost Knowledge from Treasures of Tokuno becomes desireable). The other 55 points from equipment are on sleeves (+10 Music, Song Woven Mantle)and 15 points each of Lore, Vet, and Disco (or peace - have nearly identical items for the same slot for the two skills).

Suit has maxed int, another +24 Mana increase, (and the 20 for being an elf), 1440 luck, mana regen in the high 20s, 100+ LRC & max or near max LMC with book.

Some of the pets have Disco as a possibility for training, so if I go with a disco Cu trained to 120, I can theoretically have peace and provo on the character, so that I have all 3 bard skills available.

As for Masteries, I've found that I almost never use my bard masteries anymore (and even then was more likely to use provo mastery), just Taming Mastery.

I don't use Vet as much as I used to, but still wouldn't go without it, simply because I don't wan't to be dependent on others for pet rezes (either directly or via an alchemist making the pet rez potions). And, there are some things I've fought where it took both consume damage (taming Mastery) AND Vet to keep the pet alive.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've considered working up a tamer without Vet to use in those times when I'm running 2 tamers in the first place as then I'd have 1 tamer with and 1 without vet.... so I could always have a pet rez handy but seemed like not an option for me because I like the added bonus to stable slots that having Vet gives you.

But I don't bother with Bard Masteries either on my Peacing Tamers... I use Taming mastery and this goes as well for my Spellweaving tamer not using weaving mastery even though that would make getting a circle WAY easier... I just made enough weavers to get my own circle if need be. Which is a pain ... but so is swapping out the masteries.